BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Feb 16, 2004, 09:56 AM   #1
Fly
Dr. Robert

Default Found this article on John...it\'s extremely sad, but...

it's also a very good read. I must warn beforehand that it's got some content that maybe the most sensitive John Lennon fans wouldn't like to read about, but I'm sure some of you will be interested. I was...whatever that may mean. I cried at the end, actually. It was apparently from People magazine some, 1990. Also: if you want to comment on it, please do so.

THE DAY the MUSIC DIED

On the 10th anniversary of his murder, John Lennon's family and friends remember his death -- and life.

DECEMBER 10, 1990-- On Dec. 8, 1980, M*** D**** C******, a deranged former security guard, shot and killed ex-Beatle John Lennon -- musician, social gadfly, pop icon, cosmic comedian -- as he walked into the Dakota, the New York City apartment building where he lived.

A decade after his death at 40, in new and exclusive interviews, Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono, their only child, Sean, plus close friends
of the musician and people who played a part in that fateful day, recall Lennon's tragic murder and the enduring power of his music and
mystique.

Sean Lennon, 15, John and Yoko's only child, was 5 when his father was killed. He now attends an exclusive private school in Europe. "I guess my favorite memories are of having a father. I have a whole five years of memories. I remember when Alice the cat died and my father was crying; I remember watching TV with him; wrestling and jumping up and down with him in my room; going to Central Park and riding in the horse carriage together. We did a lot of drawing. He would scribble in circles and squiggles on a piece of paper, and I would have to turn it into whatever I saw in them. We took turns doing it to see who could make more things out of the squiggles. That was a game I loved to play. With him, every day was an adventure. It was like my dad and I were buddies, and there was no real sorrow then."

Yoko Ono, 57, singer and performance artist who became Mrs. John Lennon in 1969, now lives part-time in Europe and concentrates on her artwork."John once said, ''They say that the gods are jealous of lovers and would try to split them. But they couldn't do that to us, we wouldn't let them.'' When we were walking outside, we always held hands as if we were afraid of being separated. If we were separated by a lamppost, he would quickly say ''bread and butter'' and make me say it too. John explained that it was an ''old English thing.''

At one point in our marriage, I was convinced that the world was probably right, that we shouldn't be together. I had tried to push John away from me, and we had lived apart for a while. John kept saying, ''This is crazy, we mustn't be apart. We're wasting our lives being apart.'' So we came back. And then we became a family. I think
that's the happiest memory I have -- when Sean was growing and we were together as a family. It's still hard to accept John's death. I don't think that will ever stop for me. And it's not easy for me to think about that day.

It was Monday, an ordinary, busy day. I woke up to find John listening to the rough mix of my song ''Walking on Thin Ice.'' We had a session
with (Rolling Stone photographer) Annie Leibovitz and a radio interview, which became the last interview of John Lennon.

The radio interview took more time than we thought it would, and we were late for our reserved time at the recording studio. After doing a few things at the office, we rushed out of the Dakota building to get in the car. I saw a man asking John for an autograph. Later, I learned that John had given his last autograph to the man who would kill him later that day."

David Geffen, 47, music-biz mogul and close friend of John and Yoko's, was at the studio the afternoon of Lennon's final recording session. "John's spirits were high at the studio. He thought ''Walking on Thin Ice'' would be the record that would push Yoko over the top. He was also anxious for Double Fantasy (the LP released the previous month) to go to No. 1 in England. The sad thing was, as soon as he died, the album did go to No. 1."

Yoko Ono: "In the car on our way home, I suggested that we go to a restaurant and have dinner first. John thought about it and
said, ''Let's go home. I want to be with Sean.''"

Paul Goresh, 31, a longtime Beatles fan, was waiting at the Dakota to meet and photograph Lennon if he appeared. "I got there about 12
o'clock, and C****** was there. He was standing right in the middle of the archway, holding a copy of Double Fantasy like a billboard. At about 5 P.M. it was almost dark, and the Christmas lights started to come on on 72nd Street. John and Yoko came out with a bunch of people. John saw me and said, ''Paul, have you been here long?''

As we were talking, C****** came up. He leaned forward and held the album out. John just looked at him and said, ''You want that signed?'' C****** nodded. Later, C****** went to a little ledge and slid the album onto it and said to Jose the doorman, ''Do me a favor and remember where I put that, because you'll want to know.'' When I
was getting ready to leave at about 8 P.M., C****** said, ''I wouldn't leave if I were you. You never know, something may happen, and you'll never see him again.'' I said, ''What are you talking about?'' And he caught himself, and he said, ''Well, you never know, he may go to Spain or something, and you'll never see him again.''"

~~~~~Ok, I'm going to warn you all here: the following will be difficult to read. If you don't want to read about the cicumstances that followed John being shot, you'd better just not continue,. because this is some shocking, disturbing, and sad stuff to read~~~~

William Joseph Gamble, 44, now a New York City detective, was one of the officers who responded to the call for backup help after the
shooting at 10:50 P.M. "When I pulled up at the Dakota, they had the fellow, C******, in handcuffs, and the other police were looking for
the weapon, which had been kicked down a grating. My first concern was Lennon. He had been shot in the chest, had lost so much blood that he was unrecognizable. He was still pumping blood, and I decided to use the radio car to get him to the hospital. Three of us carried him to the car and laid him across the backseat. On the way, my
partner, Jim Moran, said to me, ''Who is this? Is it really John Lennon?'' Before I answered, Lennon muttered something, but we couldn't understand him. He might have answered yes, or he might have said, ''I need help.'' It was the last sound he ever made."

Dr. Richard Marks, 49, was the emergency room surgeon at Roosevelt Hospital who operated on Lennon. "When they brought him into
the ''crash room,'' he had a heartbeat but no blood pressure, one step from being dead. We did an open-heart massage. We gave him massive infusions to obtain a blood pressure. The major blood vessels in his chest had been shot, and he had bled through them. He had fatal wounds, and really nothing could be done. He never regained
consciousness. When I realized that he wasn't going to make it, I just sewed him back up. I felt helpless. My most vivid memory is how
small and waiflike he looked. He was such a giant. How the mighty fall.

Sometimes when I walk through Strawberry Fields (the Lennon memorial in Central Park), I think, ''Imagine if I had been in a situation where I could have done something. Imagine if the wounds were in a different place. Imagine if only he had been savable.''"

Dr. Stephen Lynn, 43, director of emergency medicine at Roosevelt Hospital, broke the news to Yoko that her husband had died. "When we
realized that we were not going to be able to restore life, it was very difficult to tell Yoko Ono that her husband had died. She said
something like, ''It can't possibly be true. You're not telling me that he's dead.''

She dealt with death as most people do -- unwilling to accept it. Afterward, we had to do little things like make sure the sheets that he had been cared for on were secured and would not
fall into the wrong hands. Many of the staff that were leaving the hospital that night were asked by fans to sell their uniforms with the blood of John Lennon."

Yoko Ono: "The doctor came and handed me things. I still didn't believe it. Then the doctor handed me John's wedding ring, and I knew.It was important that I give my permission to the hospital to announce John's death. But I couldn't bring myself to say yes right away. For that split second, I felt as though John would still be
alive if his death was not announced."

David Geffen:"When we got home, Yoko asked me to call Aunt Mimi (the singer's aunt), Julian (his son by first wife Cynthia Powell and who
is now living in L.A. and working on his fourth LP) and the other Beatles. They were calls I didn't want to make. I reached Julian's
mother and I couldn't reach Paul. It was a crazy time. Yoko was hysterical. We had to hire a security guard because there were so many threatening letters. The truth is people are racist, and they never liked the idea that John was married to a Japanese."

Sean Lennon: "It was in the afternoon (the next day). My nanny had told me that my mother wanted me to come to her room. She was sitting
alone on the bed. She didn't look too happy. I looked around and said, ''Where's Dad?'' I didn't know, but I knew. It was really weird. I knew he wasn't there anymore. She said, ''Sean, your
father's dead.'' I said immediately, ''Well, if he's dead, he's dead.'' I repeated it. And Mom said, ''I'm glad you feel that way.''

I went to my bedroom, closed the door, and I cried. I didn't want my mom to see me crying. Even though I was 5, I understood what death
meant. Then I wrote a poem about my dad: ''My daddy's dead, so I have read -- I wrote it in my book.'' The poem and me crying is what I
remember most.

My life from 5 to 6 was crazy. I went into a reverse metamorphosis. Instead of growing and turning into something better, I sort of
crawled into myself. There were all sorts of people trying to take advantage of us. People spreading rumors. Some people were against my
mother. We got weird letters. Psychotic people were sitting outside our door thinking they were reincarnates of my father. There were
bodyguards everywhere. I don't know how I got through it.

I guess what I did was just let time pass. I let out the anger by punching pillows and the wall. My mom helped me. We just leaned on each other
in the midst of the chaos and the nightmare."

Tom Middlebrook is M*** D**** C******'* parole officer at Attica Correctional Facility. C****** received 20 years to life for murdering Lennon and is first eligible for parole in December 2000. "I think it is possible that M*** C****** will not get out until he is a very old, gray-haired man. He could be here until he dies."

Peter Boyle, 57, the actor (Joe, Young Frankenstein), was a close friend of John's who met him in a Los Angeles club in 1974. "I think
about John a lot. What I miss most is his sense of humor. He had this spontaneous rock poetry that just poured out of him. He had a way of
bending words and making connections and creating images. I remember walking down Madison Avenue and running into him. He had little Sean
with him. He said, ''I would like you to meet my guru.'' He always called Sean his guru. He just loved walking around New York. He loved
the very thing that made him vulnerable.

He did not want to live as most rock stars and movie stars do, behind a wall of bodyguards. He
stood out so much in people's minds that people, especially unbalanced ones, thought they were him. It's sympathetic magic. You kill your idol and you become him."

Sean Lennon: "I remember my father used to come into my bedroom before I would go to sleep, usually after The Muppet Show. I had this little
mobile of plastic planes over my head, and the ceiling was painted like the sky. Dad would turn the lights off and on to let them blink
with every syllable when he said, ''Good night, Sean.''

I think of ''my dad'' and ''John Lennon'' as two different entities. My dad is who I remember playing with as a child. I remember his voice, his touch, his smell. John Lennon is an idealized imaginary figure who was created around the music and who happened to be my dad.

When my friends talk about their dads in the present tense, I feel a bit hurt inside. But then again there are so many kids like me whose
fathers and mothers have died. I wish I did grow up in a normal family circumstance. But what I've been through may have made me a stronger person. I hope it did. Because otherwise I didn't really get anything out of the sorrow."

Yoko Ono: "What I miss most about John is his incredible tenderness and his belief in me. Love can sometimes be hell. You could abuse each other in the name of love. But the thing that worked in our relationship was that we never lost respect for each other and always made sure to express it. We loved each other like there was no tomorrow. When you think of it now, there was something so intense about it, as if we knew we didn't have much time.

In the beginning Sean kept saying that he wanted to learn magic from the magician who had performed some tricks at his birthday party. I
asked him why, and he said he would like to be a great magician so he could bring his daddy back.

Sean reminds me more and more of his father: his body structure, his expressions and the kinds of things he says. Recently in New York, we were going to a photo session, and I was wearing this designer jacket. He said, ''Mommy, you're not going to wear that, are you? You're not a middle-class housewife, you know.'' It's the kind of thing John would have thought. We went to this basement secondhand clothes shop, and he found a funny, tired-looking coat and said, ''This is what you should wear.''"

Harry Nilsson, 49, singer-songwriter, was Lennon's 1970s drinking buddy. He was at Lennon's side during the ex-Beatle's ''lost weekend,'' an 18-month period of booze, drugs and separation from Yoko. "John was a chameleon. He could be anybody he wanted to be. He could walk down the street and become invisible and not be John
Lennon. When he wanted to turn it on and be John Lennon, he was acerbic, sharp-witted. He had a lot of Stan Laurel in him, and a lot of Groucho Marx."

Klaus Voorman, 52, is a musician who met Lennon in the early '60s in Hamburg and remained a close friend. "I came to New York when Sean was
born, and we would all go for walks in the park. He was happy and relaxed and showing me how to cook rice and bake bread. It was really
lovely. I was so happy to see him that way because often he was so uptight and frustrated and vulnerable."

Bob Gruen, 45, is a rock-and-roll photographer who became friends with the Lennons in 1972. "John could have done anything he wanted to
do and have anyone he wanted to have; that was one of his problems. Because he had such a choice, it was hard trying to figure out what
he wanted to do. I don't think John realized when he was alive how phenomenally popular he seemed to be. How much he meant to people. He
was trying to sell records. He was trying to get on the charts. He didn't know that everybody loved him."

Peter Boyle: "I remember once, we stopped to buy a paper, and John found out the newsstand guy was from Liverpool. They had this great conversation. It was funny to see the real John. He was a working-class hero. He was a channel for the whole world. These are times without much conviction, and he had a lot. I don't know how he would have fitted in today."

Harry Nilsson: "I think John's music is destined to live on, like Mozart's. When he was alive, people waited with anticipation to see
which way he was going to jump and they would follow. There are a lot of people who have the courage of other people's convictions. In his
case, he had convictions and a lot of power."

Yoko Ono: "On the world level, I feel a lot of things that happened toward the end of the '80s had John's fingerprints on them, so to speak. I feel that John's songs and statements have affected many people throughout the '80s, when the important changes have happened. And I feel that John is still looking after us in many ways. If he could see what I am going through, he would probably know that I was doing my best. He was a person who went through a lot of hardship
himself."

Sean Lennon: "Musically, my father was the voice of the people. Whether he was killed for his beliefs, we don't know. Nobody knows.
Maybe some people were scared of the influence he had over people. Then again, maybe it was just some psycho who just felt like getting
on the cover of a newspaper by changing the course of history.

His death was so shocking. I think it was the end of the first part of my life. But the memories do not grow fainter. It's as if when Dad died, everything before his death, those five years, were engraved into my mind. I will never forget those days. They are the days I will hold on to."

-- VICKI SHEFF
Copyright 2000 Time Inc.

[size="1"][ Feb 16, 2004, 11:07 AM: Message Edited By: Fly ][/size]
Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 06:15 PM   #2
ImaginePeace78
Dr. Robert

Send a message via AIM to ImaginePeace78 Send a message via Yahoo to ImaginePeace78
Default Re: Found this article on John...it\'s extremely sad, but...

The lump in my throat is so huge right now. When I was younger, I used to think 40 was "old." Now, that I'm getting older, 40 doesn't seem so old anymore. He died so young... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I miss you, John.
-Kristi
ImaginePeace78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 11:21 PM   #3
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By Fly:

His death was so shocking. I think it was the end of the first part of my life. But the memories do not grow fainter. It's as if when Dad died, everything before his death, those five years, were engraved into my mind. I will never forget those days. They are the days I will hold on to."
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/cry2.gif[/img]
Woah...this article has to be one of the saddest things I have ever read about John. But the quote above is just heart-breaking...I am crying. There are no words I can think of to describe the sadness that was John's death for his fans, but for his family? Just terrible.

[size="1"][ Feb 19, 2004, 12:22 PM: Message Edited By: Apple Scruff ][/size]
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 09:52 PM   #4
angelgodiva
Bulldog

I can hardly see through my tears to type. Thank you for sharing the article, really.
angelgodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 11:09 PM   #5
Sarandipity
Dr. Robert

Definitely not the thing for me to read before going to bad... I've got tears brimming, the lump is big... But I'm glad you've given us the oppurtunity to read it. Really touching article.
Sarandipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 02:03 PM   #6
Feef_The_Hippy
Rocky Raccoon

Send a message via AIM to Feef_The_Hippy Send a message via MSN to Feef_The_Hippy

Quote:
We loved each other like there was no tomorrow.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">That made me sad [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Feef_The_Hippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2004, 02:14 PM   #7
Miapalome
Fool On The Hill

Oh my God. This article is terribly sad. I'm crying right now. And shaking. Like they described everything in here, including how he died. That is the SICKEST way for someone who was so brilliant and gave so many beautiful things to the world to die. I can't believe that we live in a world that manifests itself to such cruelty.

I have a question...why is the nurderer's name all in stars? Is it wrong to say his name or something?

Also, I feel terrible for his children. How horrible! How senseless. I can't understand this at all and I'm extremely angry. When I listen to the music that John Lennon made, I am so grateful that we all had the chance to have him and his great talent, but now I think about all that we missed out on. It is insane. Was there a point to this man killing John? I asked my parents about it, since they were old enough to know all about it, and they told me that the guy was a complete whack job looking for attention.

I think what he did is beyond all extremities of evil.
Miapalome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2004, 05:22 PM   #8
Fly
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted By Miapalome:
Oh my God. This article is terribly sad. I'm crying right now. And shaking. Like they described everything in here, including how he died. That is the SICKEST way for someone who was so brilliant and gave so many beautiful things to the world to die. I can't believe that we live in a world that manifests itself to such cruelty.

I have a question...why is the nurderer's name all in stars? Is it wrong to say his name or something?

Also, I feel terrible for his children. How horrible! How senseless. I can't understand this at all and I'm extremely angry. When I listen to the music that John Lennon made, I am so grateful that we all had the chance to have him and his great talent, but now I think about all that we missed out on. It is insane. Was there a point to this man killing John? I asked my parents about it, since they were old enough to know all about it, and they told me that the guy was a complete whack job looking for attention.

I think what he did is beyond all extremities of evil.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Amen to that. I posted this article because it broke my heart. I don't really like to think about the day John died. It's too much for me at times. I was 6 years old and I seriously loved him. I had the W&B album, Rock and Roll, and I had just gotten Double Fantasy.

And then he was gone...like it made no sense, particularly when you're 6 and nothing really makes sense. But that was hard for me to accept. And I think about Julian being a teenager and seeing him on TV when he arrived, looking miserable and pale and confused. And then Sean, being a year younger than me, was SO young. His words here really, really touched me.

It's difficult to read stuff like this Mia. You're just getting into John, though, so love all the music and the interviews, books, etc. and try not to get too caught up in the tragedy. It 'aint cool.

Another thing: I put ***stars*** through the murderer's name because I didn't feel like giving that creepy shit the audacity of a name. He can be known as *** to me forever. Actually, I have other words I can replace *** with at anytime, and most of them have 4 letters. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ Mar 02, 2004, 06:23 PM: Message Edited By: Fly ][/size]
Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2004, 10:48 PM   #9
bearkat77
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted By Miapalome:
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Several of the members here, myself included, refuse to mention his name in any form. To give him a name is to give him an identity. As Fly stated, most of the words I used are not suitable in these forums.
bearkat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2008, 07:09 PM   #10
beatlemania5grace
Day Tripper

So so sad.
I can't even begin to imagine what Sean and Yoko went through. Its hard enough for us to deal with it, and we didn't know John.

I didn't start crying untill I looked up from my computer and saw a poster of John looking at me. Then I cryed like a baby.

I really try not to read things like this often. Or think about it. So when I think of him, I think of the amazing music he made and all the people he influenced.

I still can't make the connection that the man I'm reading about is John Lennon. It just doesn't fit.

A gang of rogue, militant Beatles fans who will destroy anyone who insults or undermines the work of the group, or any of it's members.
When Sally offended the Beatles Mafia by saying that the Rolling Stones were better, she woke up with Henry The Horse's head on her pillow
-Urban Dictionary
beatlemania5grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:19 AM   #11
Esmirelda
Sun King

From what I understand, the murderer did the unthinkable in order to gain fame. So, I refuse to repeat the name, write the name (I also deleat the name in articles), or do anything else to help make them famous.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 03:17 PM   #12
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Serious question here--do you guys also refuse to say Lee Harvey Oswald's name, etc? I'm not asking to be a jerk, I'm curious.

MDC was a Jeopardy question last week FWIW.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:10 PM   #13
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Wow, the last time I read this article was one day away from 8 years ago, and I am probably just as shocked and saddened and horrified by all of it.

I don't mean to bring this up, but I was casually browsing and I got hooked by all of it...all the details once again (what is wrong with me?)

Also, ringo: I think it is absolutely crucial to NEVER say the name of the demon who killed John because his was the act of a despicable coward who was trying to find fame by means of senseless violence. He does not deserve, no, has never EARNED the right to become a celebrity. He is a sick, cold-blooded monster who stole the life of a husband, a father with a family who loved him and people all over the world who never met him whose lives had been touched by him.

Plus, he was too young to go and in such a horrific way.

I will never comprehend John's death for as long as I live. And I will never forgive that creature who took his life.

That's just how I feel.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Feb 18, 2012 at 10:11 PM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:54 PM   #14
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

I don't disagree with any of that, especially about how, 31+ years later, John's death is still senseless and upsetting. I find it frightening and heartbreaking that there are people out there who possess the intellect to willingly plot a murder and pull a trigger; but lack the sympathy and basic decency to realize it's wrong to rob a husband from his wife, a father from his children, and an entertainer/humanitarian from the millions of people he inspired.

But while I would never consider his killer a celebrity per se, unfortunately he is a part of history. He did it in a cowardly, violent manner...but sadly, the history books are overwhelmed with cretins like him.

In fact, to me, identifying people like him, Lee Harvey Oswald, James Earl Ray, John Wilkes Booth, etc. etc. (the list sadly goes on much, much longer) is perhaps the strongest--and I would argue, most necessary--way to achieve what would be the only possible positive resolution to these horrific crimes: the institution of stricter gun control laws. I don't want to turn this into something political, but to me, there is no stronger evidence of the need for this than the fact that, so many times, ONE person...out of the BILLIONS on the planet...has changed the course of history with a bullet. Hell, one time it led to worldwide war.

These people will have their notoriety. Despite our best intentions, we can't prevent that--nor should we, I don't think. Instead we need to present them as examples of the dangers of what happens every single day when guns fall into the wrong hands. No, it's not every day that a Sirhan Sirhan comes around to write another chapter of history. But every day, somebody's world is shattered in an unnecessary and harsh manner. And I hate to imagine who--or how many--must be destroyed this way for people to realize this.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:24 AM   #15
wildewoman
Taxman

Default I suppose not saying it almost gives it the magical power of a taboo....

...but if the family doesn't want us to repeat it, I do my best to respect their wishes. I read an article that called him F*ckface McGee, and that seems appropriate enough. I know the thing's real name; can't forget it. Who could?

Although I do understand what you are trying to express. How DO you stop nutty and criminal folks from getting hold of a gun? Some people argue that gun control should be relaxed so we can all run around armed like the old west or something.

Funny thing is, there was a case here in my hometown where some thugs broke into the home of man who actually had a license to carry a gun (he was the head of our Metropolitan Transportation Association.) He was a old man, and they knocked the gun out of his hand and pistol-whipped him with it. Then they forced the old man and his wife into a bathroom and left after setting fires in the house. Luckily, the old folks were saved and the criminals apprehended...but it kind of takes the wind out of the pro-gun people's hands, I thought.

On the other hand, I had a co-worker who was stuck in some little island nation where she was vacationing because of a military coup that occurred while she and her husband were there. (They eventually got out safely). The nation had VERY strict gun control laws and the coup happened because--guess what--only the military had guns. So there's that.

Which takes us far afield from whether or not to say F*ckface's name, but you did raise the gun control discussion....

Last edited by wildewoman : Feb 19, 2012 at 08:24 AM.
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:57 AM   #16
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Unhappy So true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
Wow, the last time I read this article was one day away from 8 years ago, and I am probably just as shocked and saddened and horrified by all of it.

I think it is absolutely crucial to NEVER say the name of the demon who killed John because his was the act of a despicable coward who was trying to find fame by means of senseless violence. He does not deserve, no, has never EARNED the right to become a celebrity. He is a sick, cold-blooded monster who stole the life of a husband, a father with a family who loved him and people all over the world who never met him whose lives had been touched by him.

Plus, he was too young to go and in such a horrific way.

I will never comprehend John's death for as long as I live. And I will never forgive that creature who took his life.

That's just how I feel.
Well, I feel truly and deeply the same, Scruffie

I didn't read the whole article, word by word, this would just be too hard for me and I refuse to give stories including that son of a bitch too much attentions, so I just flew quickly over it and that was far enough

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:29 PM   #17
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

I enjoyed the article, if that's possible. Well written, and very sad. I guess I liked how personal and vivid the individual quotes were. It's a little hard to describe... Apologies.

As for the ****'s he specifically stated part of his motivation/reasoning was to kill John and gain HIS fame, or become famous himself. I find it brilliant that ****'s are used on message boards and even Beatle radio shows and podcasts don't use his name. Yoko did not use his name in a recent interview discussing his most recent denied parole and her involvement (she contacts the Parole Board). ***'s get the job done just fine, and deny him the "fame" he desired.

F*ckface McGee indeed.

Regarding Lee Harvey Oswald... He never claimed his motivation was to gain fame, so mentioning his name or printing it is different.

Last edited by LMW28IF : Feb 19, 2012 at 06:49 PM.
LMW28IF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:48 PM   #18
Apple Scruff
Sun King

I appreciate everyone's responses. My own feelings re: the demon's name, as you know, runs close to what LMW said. I truly respect what ringo said and, like wilde, it makes a great deal of sense.

But the very fact that his intentions were what they were, well, that clarifies it enough for me. The monster was seeking fame through the most pathetic and evil of actions. His deed won't be forgotten- neither will that day John was taken from his family, friends, and the world.

But his name doesn't deserve that notoriety. Not one bit.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 06:51 PM   #19
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

Yoko had a very interesting point. Im paraphrasing, but if he is released... he might get killed himself.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:10 PM   #20
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMW28IF View Post
Yoko had a very interesting point. Im paraphrasing, but if he is released... he might get killed himself.
Julian also said the same thing recently. He said he's better off in jail because, well, he wouldn't make it very long out of it:

watch at 2:55 on (forewarning: the ******'s name is mentioned here)