BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Dec 30, 2003, 07:44 PM   #1
matt5
Old Brown Shoe

Default john\'s lead guitar capability?

how good was john at playing lead? I know there are a few examples of songs where he played lead. The reason why i am asking is because i am no expert in guitar playing and although he seemed competent enought and I was just wondering if there are any 'experts' out there who play guitar themselves what their opinion is.
matt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 07:50 PM   #2
JohnLennonNYC
Little Child

Default Re: john\'s lead guitar capability?

Im not exactly an "expert" but I have been playing guitar for two years. In my opinion John was very capable of being a good lead guitaritst. I dont know why he didnt. I think he wanted to have more in some songs than just guitars and drums.
JohnLennonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 07:55 PM   #3
matt5
Old Brown Shoe

just wanted to add that some of his accoustic stuff seems pretty good too. especially his accoustic version of stepin out.
matt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 09:58 PM   #4
lennon4
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to lennon4

John's playing in 'Get Back' proves his capability of good lead work. I wish he'd done a little more, too. [img]graemlins/teeth1.gif[/img]

-lennon4
lennon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 10:42 PM   #5
dyermaker1040
Day Tripper

doesnt he play slide in george's "for you blue"? ive seen pics of him doing it, but i always thought george would be the one to do it because he played slide on john's albums didnt he?? or am i totally screwed up? anyways, whoever did slide on "for you blue" was excellent. and i think it was john.
dyermaker1040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 05:40 AM   #6
jtal909
Sun King

In the few instances where John played lead that I know of, I would consider him quite good, actually.
Technically his lead playing may have been limited but he was more than competent and most important stayed within himself and played with a lot of feeling and did not waste a note.
That seems to be the Beatles' perfection.

I would much rather listen to John Lennon play than a technical virtuoso like Warren Haynes, for example, who speeds all over the fretboard for the sake of flash IMO.

[size="1"][ Dec 31, 2003, 09:18 AM: Message Edited By: jtal909 ][/size]
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 03:40 PM   #7
FEVRE DREAMER
Apple Scruff

[img]graemlins/music1.gif[/img] * [img]graemlins/music1.gif[/img] * [img]graemlins/music1.gif[/img] * [img]graemlins/music1.gif[/img] *
I fully agree with John never wasting a note.
Ive been playing for awhile and worshipped
all the guitar gods;Hendrix,Page,Trower,Van Halen.
And after all this time I find it all comes
down to a quote from Chrissie Hynde,"You know who
likes to hear alot of notes on the guitar?
Other guitar players.""Its the songs that count."
In my humble opinion, not only did John write
great songs on the guitar,he wrote the the greatest songs in the world.
As for leads? Check out his part in The End. [img]graemlins/king3.gif[/img]
FEVRE DREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 06:06 PM   #8
Clark Kent
Sun King

John was a very good lead guitarist and quite underrated. If you look at the book, "Revolution In The Head", you can find out all John's lead parts and then listen to them again and hear how good and polished they are.

[size="1"][ Dec 31, 2003, 06:08 PM: Message Edited By: Clark Kent ][/size]
Clark Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 08:08 PM   #9
angelgodiva
Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted By dyermaker1040:
doesnt he play slide in george's "for you blue"? ive seen pics of him doing it, but i always thought george would be the one to do it because he played slide on john's albums didnt he?? or am i totally screwed up? anyways, whoever did slide on "for you blue" was excellent. and i think it was john.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">You're right; George did play slide on some of John's solo tracks...he did a particularly great job on John's How Do You Sleep.
angelgodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2004, 10:16 AM   #10
jtal909
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By FEVRE DREAMER:
And after all this time I find it all comes
down to a quote from Chrissie Hynde,"You know who
likes to hear alot of notes on the guitar?
Other guitar players.""Its the songs that count."
QB]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I love that quote and I love Chrissie.
I also always maintained that you have to have a good song. You could ask my friend Fritz, who I go to concerts with and have had countless discussions on music performance.
[img]graemlins/wink3.gif[/img]
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2004, 11:43 AM   #11
Starkey Harrison Girl
Nowhere Man

I think John was VERY good at both lead and rhythm guitar. I'm in a band and I'm both lead and rhythm. The last gig we had we went all acoustic and the other guitarist was playing a 12 string and to me he was playing soft and it made me feel like I was the only one playing. But I agree, John could do lead if he wanted to.

[size="1"][ Jan 01, 2004, 11:44 AM: Message Edited By: Starkey Harrison Girl ][/size]
Starkey Harrison Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2004, 11:49 AM   #12
Winston1976
Little Child

I've been playing guitar for about 11 years now, and personally think that John was a good lead guitarist. Don't get me wrong, he was no Hendrix, and neither am I, but he was an averagely good lead guitarist. However, he was an excellent rhythm guitarist. Among the best ever I believe.
I think as far as why John never played lead up untill the end of the Beatles, it's just that George was the lead guitarist. And when you play in a band, everyone has a part. And trying to play lead, would've been like stepping on someone's toes you know. Towards the end, they seemed more open about who did what I think.
But going back to John's playing as a lead guitarist. Every solo he wrote and played was exactly what the song needed. Songs don't need always need Van Halen solo's.
Winston1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2004, 11:00 AM   #13
Johnny Lover
Wild Honey Pie

Send a message via ICQ to Johnny Lover Send a message via AIM to Johnny Lover Send a message via MSN to Johnny Lover Send a message via Yahoo to Johnny Lover Send a message via Skype™ to Johnny Lover

Who plays what part in The End? I could never figure it out. All of them are equally great at guitar solos IMO.
Johnny Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2004, 03:18 PM   #14
Johnny Lover
Wild Honey Pie

Send a message via ICQ to Johnny Lover Send a message via AIM to Johnny Lover Send a message via MSN to Johnny Lover Send a message via Yahoo to Johnny Lover Send a message via Skype™ to Johnny Lover

Thanks, braddale!
Johnny Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2004, 09:33 PM   #15
braddale
Little Child

Glad to help! Even though I don't play the guitar, I love finding out who played what on Beatles songs, the Beatles were such a rare group to have three excellent guitar players, on top of all the timeless classics that they wrote.
braddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2004, 12:26 AM   #16
braddale
Little Child

The three solo's at the end of Abbey Road are played in this order: Paul, George then John and then repeated again. I remember reading that the three of them had a lot of fun recording that part. Paul mentioned that George's part was the one that sounded the most polished, he was after all, the lead player.
braddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2004, 12:20 AM   #17
getback
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted By dyermaker1040:
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">yes- i'll second this...absolutely was john on slide. great stuff. it's been awhile since i've seen LIB, but don't we see him playing slide there?
getback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2004, 01:19 PM   #18
onosideboards
Taxman

While struggling with the riffs of Get Back, John admitted, "now I know why I stopped taking leads." It took him a loooong time to get that little downward riff on I've Got a Feeling too.

That's not undermining John's capability, it's just a fact. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
onosideboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2017, 09:59 AM   #19
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

John actually plays a very good lead guitar on two very early songs,on his own very good rock song,You Can't Do That both on the record and live,and he also plays the lead in the first part of their rocking cover of Long Tall Sally.He also plays the great Hawiian sounding lead guitar on The Ballad Of John and Yoko and it's only both him and Paul on all of the instruments.

Here in this 1977 interview with Eric Clapton he says that there was always this game( meaning guitar) between John and George and he said partly because John was a pretty good guitar player himself.

http://www.superseventies.com/ssericclapton.html

in this 2013 interview Eric Clapton said that John Lennon was a great musician,amazing song composer and friend.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/e...w/20241104.cms
letmerollit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:06 AM   #20
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

As The All Music Guide says in their excellent Beatles biography "That it's difficult to summarize their career without restating cliches that have already been digested by tens of millions of rock fans, to start with the obvious,they were the greatest and most influential act of the rock era and introduced more innovations into popular music than any other rock band of the 20th century."

"Moreover they were among the few artists of *any* discipline that were simultaneously the best at what they did *and* the most popular at what they did." They also say as singers John Lennon and Paul McCartney were among the best and most expressive in rock.

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-b...4032/biography

Also on an excellent site,The Evolution of Rock Bass Playing McCartney Style by bass player Dennis Alstrand,Stanley Clarke,Sting,Will Lee,Billy Sheehan,George Martin and John Lennon are quoted saying what a great,melodic and influential bass player Paul has always been.

http://www.alstrand.com/evolution/evolution.html

And Wilco's John Stirratt was asked in Bass Player which bass players have had the most impact on his playing and the first thing he said was, Paul McCartney is one of the greatest bass players of all time,if you listen to what he was tracking live in the studio it's unbelievable." "With his tone and musicality he was a huge influence,he covered all of his harmonic responsibilities really well but his baselines were absolutely melodic and inventive."

http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/ar...ys-roots-wilco

In this 2010 interview the blogger says that John Stirratt has an affinity for good melodies so it's not surprising that Paul McCartney is one of his musical icons and then he quotes him saying that he's always absolutely in awe of his playing,including Paul's Beatles years.

http://audreeanne.blogspot.com/2010/...ratt-talk.html

And there is a great online article by musician and song writer Peter Cross,The Beatles Are The Most Creative Band Of All Time and he says that many musicians besides him recognize Paul as one of the best bass guitar players ever.He too says that John and Paul are the greatest song composers and that to say that John and Paul are among 2 of the greatest singers in rock and roll is to state the obvious,and that John,Paul and George were all excellent guitarists and that George is underrated by people not educated about music but that Eric Clapton knew better,he also says that both John and Paul played great leads as well as innovative rhythm tracks.

John Lennon co-wrote,sang and played guitar on one of David Bowie's first hits Fame in 1975 and David invited John to play guitar on his version of John's beautiful Beatles song Across The Universe.Brain May,Ozzy Osbourne,and Liam Gallagher and many more call The Beatles The Greatest Band Ever.'

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Beatle...Time&id=222245

Also on Music Radar Tom Petty,Joe Perry and Richie Sambora in What The Beatles Mean To Me all say how cool and great they thought The Beatles were when they first saw them on The Ed Sullivan Show in February 1964 when they were just teen boys,Richie was only 5.Tom Petty said he thought they were really really great.

Robin Zander of Cheap Trick said he's probably one of the biggest Beatles fans on the planet.Brad Whitford of Aerosmith said that a lot of that Beatles influence comes from Steven Tyler's collaboration with Mark Hudson both whom are absolute Beatles freaks and he said I guess the goal is to try and emulate probably some of the best music of the last 50 years which has to be The Beatles.
letmerollit is offline   Reply With Quote