BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Feb 03, 2004, 07:32 PM   #1
SF4-EVER

Default Hey! \'Jude,\' \'Ya!\' Are Tied

Link to story.

LOS ANGELES (Billboard) - For 35 years, the Beatles' "Hey Jude" reigned as the longest-running No. 1 song on the Billboard Hot 100 with the word "Hey" in the title. But no longer.

"Jude" has to share the honor with the current occupant of pole position, as "Hey Ya!" (Arista) by OutKast reaches its ninth frame at the top of the list.

That's not the only thing OutKast has in common with the Beatles (who arrived on these shores 40 years ago). The Atlanta rap duo has owned the top two slots on the Hot 100 for eight weeks in a row, with "The Way You Move" in the runner-up spot. That beats the five weeks in 1978 when the Bee Gees held down the top two with "Night Fever" and "Stayin' Alive" and is very close to matching the 10 weeks in early 1964 when the Beatles filled the top two positions, albeit with four singles.

"Hey Ya!" is a leftover from the class of 2003, and matches the nine-week runs of 50 Cent's "In Da Club" and Beyonce Featuring Sean Paul's "Baby Boy" as the longest-running No. 1s of last year.
SF4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2004, 08:08 PM   #2
Norwegian_Wood
Nowhere Man

Default Re: Hey! \'Jude,\' \'Ya!\' Are Tied

Quote:
Originally Posted By SF4-EVER:
That's not the only thing OutKast has in common with the Beatles (who arrived on these shores 40 years ago). The Atlanta rap duo has owned the top two slots on the Hot 100 for eight weeks in a row, with "The Way You Move" in the runner-up spot. That beats the five weeks in 1978 when the Bee Gees held down the top two with "Night Fever" and "Stayin' Alive" and is very close to matching the 10 weeks in early 1964 when the Beatles filled the top two positions, albeit with four singles.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Umm, the record the Beatles hold is having FIVE singles in the top 5 the same week, which I can't see anyone ever coming close to touching. Both of these supposed records that are close to being broken strike me as kind of silly when they are a small portion of a much bigger and important record. I like how they mention that minor detail of their being 4 singles on the chart the weeks the Beatles held that record. Not exactly what I would call a small difference. I guess people just like to try and claim they broke a "big" Beatles record [img]graemlins/images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I'm sure Paul is in tears right now at the thought of no longer having the chart record for a "Hey" song [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ Feb 03, 2004, 09:13 PM: Message Edited By: Norwegian_Wood ][/size]
Norwegian_Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2004, 10:56 PM   #3
HariScruff_00
Wild Honey Pie

First of all, who at billboard mag decided to research the history of "Hey" songs?!

If anyone breaks or ties or whatevers a Beatly-held record i'd rather it be groups like Outkast as opposed to Britney,Timberlake,Jessica Simpson,etc,etc or other low-talent non-deservents.

Even those who might not like Outkast have to admit that it might as well be them than the other people I named and others of that ilk.

and FWIW, Hey Ya has been compared in several articles/reviews to I Saw Her Standing There. *shrug* Obviously I prefer ISHST but they're both good songs.
HariScruff_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2004, 06:27 AM   #4
Sgt.Salt
Banned

But you have to look at the "BIG " picture on this topic . 100 years from now, what song will people STILL be requesting ? Outkast's "Hey Ya "...................OR ...........The Beatles "HEY JUDE " ? I rest my case !
Sgt.Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2004, 10:14 AM   #5
onosideboards
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted By Sgt.Salt:
But you have to look at the "BIG " picture on this topic . 100 years from now, what song will people STILL be requesting ? Outkast's "Hey Ya "...................OR ...........The Beatles "HEY JUDE " ? I rest my case !
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">You mean that obviously some people will prefer Hey Ya over Hey Jude?
onosideboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2004, 10:34 AM   #6
Blackguard
Paperback Writer

Hey Jude is still the longest running (7:11) Beatles song with "Hey" in the title.
Hmmm... I just noticed the 7/11 in the timing. Must have been for good luck.

The album version runs for 6:58, who took the remaining 13 seconds. And What did they do with 'em?
Blackguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2004, 10:36 AM   #7
beatlemad
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted By Sgt.Salt:
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Well, to be honest, I think that some people WILL be requesting Outkast.Well done to them for their success.Music goes on and there is some fantastic new music out there. [img]graemlins/smile1.gif[/img]
beatlemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2004, 06:48 PM   #8
Sgt.Salt
Banned

Well................I'll make you a bet right now ! 15 years from now{probably less }.........No-one will even remember "HEY YA " from OutKast ! And yea, there is "Some" great new music being made "out there " . You will find most of it on American Country radio tho ! Most everything else being churned out to the new "MTV" generation, is pure forgettable baloney ! Sorry...........Just my 2cents worth there ! [img]graemlins/images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Sgt.Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2004, 06:55 PM   #9
Sgt.McCartney
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to Sgt.McCartney

"Hey Ya" is a pretty good songs, don't know if you can consider it rap, more like "funk rock."
Sgt.McCartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2004, 10:00 AM   #10
Wolf
Day Tripper

Right, but what this article fails to mention is that Billboard`s Hot 100 is almost exclusively based on airplay these days.

These Outkast songs are at #1 for weeks and weeks simply because urban radio loves to play these songs over and over. It`s not like millions of people actually bought these songs in a record store (the CD single market is almost non-existant).
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2004, 11:17 PM   #11
Norwegian_Wood
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted By Wolf:
Right, but what this article fails to mention is that Billboard`s Hot 100 is almost exclusively based on airplay these days.

These Outkast songs are at #1 for weeks and weeks simply because urban radio loves to play these songs over and over. It`s not like millions of people actually bought these songs in a record store (the CD single market is almost non-existant).
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Not only that, but there is a very heavy amount of payola that goes on these days. You can only do so much rigging to cause a single to be number 1 for weeks due only to sales. The record company can buy up a whole bunch of copies to make it debut high, but it's kind of hard to do for weeks on end.
Norwegian_Wood is offline   Reply With Quote