BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > New Products > The Remasters

Old Jan 09, 2014, 08:46 AM   #1
62hofner

Default FINALLY! The U.S. Albums will be complete!

Hey everyone!

Been a while since I last logged-in… but there's nothing like a cause for celebration to bring someone back from dormancy!

I am sure most already know by now that the full compliment of U.S. Beatles albums will finally be released in less than two weeks! It's about damn time! Capitol had a great thing going with their "Capitol Albums" Volumes several years ago. They should have followed through with the last four uniquely American albums in a "Volume 3". But they dropped the ball, sadly.

I nearly jumped out of my seat last night when I just happened to stumble upon "Yesterday & Today", "Revolver", the United Artists "Hard Day's Night" soundtrack, and "Hey Jude" on iTunes' Beatles Remasters page.

In a discussion some years ago, someone suggested that Capitol should have released "Y&T" with a peel-off "Trunk" cover that reveals the "Butcher". Well, they've done it!!!

This is awesome news. Who else is excited by this?

-hof

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GJ7ROVG/..._LkIZsb1NFAMKS

Last edited by 62hofner : Jan 09, 2014 at 08:58 AM.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2014, 11:12 AM   #2
Legs
Sun King

If you would have been getting the original US versions then yes.
But as it seems you get the U.S. packaging with the 2009 U.K. versions of the songs, except in the case of an real unique U.S. mix.(whatever the criterea it is they are using for that) so a mix bag of U.K. and U.S. mixes, but not the original versions as were released.

I might still get "Yesterday and Today" no need for much else.

Last edited by Legs : Jan 09, 2014 at 11:13 AM.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2014, 11:40 AM   #3
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs View Post
If you would have been getting the original US versions then yes.
But as it seems you get the U.S. packaging with the 2009 U.K. versions of the songs, except in the case of an real unique U.S. mix.(whatever the criterea it is they are using for that) so a mix bag of U.K. and U.S. mixes, but not the original versions as were released.

I might still get "Yesterday and Today" no need for much else.
Oh? I am not sure I understand, Legs.

Are you saying that the 1964-1965 albums in this new box set, and single disc releases, are different from the mixes in the two existing "Capitol Album Volumes"? Hmmmm… I haven't read or heard anything about this. I don't believe it to be the case.

What I like about this is that, now, I can have all the albums on CD in the same way that I did on vinyl. United Artists "HDN", "Y&T", "Revolver", and "Hey Jude" all deserved digital releases. I couldn't care less about "The Beatles Story"—but even that album I had/have on vinyl.

My "Beatles In Mono" box set is about to become obsolete—save for "Pepper", "MMT" and "White Album", of course. For those three albums, I'll need to keep it.

EDIT: Ok, Legs… I see now. Hmmmm! Dammit! They ARE indeed using the 2009 remasters for everything but the unique U.S. mixes ("I'm Looking Through You", "I'm Only Sleeping", etc.).

Well, thank you for alerting me to this! Now, I just wish I didn't know these new U.S. releases are coming with the proper inner sleeves—just like the 2009 mono releases did. I prefer cohesive "sets" and not hodgepodge sets from two or more sources.

Damn you, Apple! You should have just released this boxed set—with this packaging and the original mixes—back when volumes 1 and 2 were released.

Last edited by 62hofner : Jan 09, 2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2014, 02:40 PM   #4
Blackguard
Paperback Writer

I was looking at the US Box Set on amazon. The ad read the box was made up off the US and UK masters. At first reading I thought it was the US stereo and the UK mono mixes were used.
Because the US and UK mono mixes, to my ear, are not too far apart. The US and British Stereo mixes are very different in nature.

So from what Legs is mentioning (and Hofner is confirming) it's mostly the British Stereo mixes with certain US ones. It kinda makes it anti-climactic. I suppose, if you want the US mixes, the best thing to do is look for reasonable condition copies of the American vinyl.
Old Jan 09, 2014, 03:48 PM   #5
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackguard View Post

So from what Legs is mentioning (and Hofner is confirming) it's mostly the British Stereo mixes with certain US ones. It kinda makes it anti-climactic. I suppose, if you want the US mixes, the best thing to do is look for reasonable condition copies of the American vinyl.
From what I've read, that is the case. What Legs said is true.

I had placed an order on amazon for the boxed set earlier today. But upon confirming the mix of U.S. and U.K. mixes, I became… perturbed , and I cancelled the order and placed orders for the separate "HDN", "Y&T", "Revolver" and "Hey Jude" CDs.
Old Jan 09, 2014, 08:12 PM   #6
Uncle_Albert
Day Tripper

not complete

Sgt Pepper
White Album
Abbey Road
Yellow Submarine
Let It Be
Magical Mystery Tour

and I cancelled the order and placed orders for the separate "HDN", "Y&T", "Revolver" and "Hey Jude" CDs.

i do

Last edited by Uncle_Albert : Jan 09, 2014 at 08:13 PM.
Uncle_Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 04:20 AM   #7
Ivan P
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Albert View Post
not complete

Sgt Pepper
White Album
Abbey Road
Yellow Submarine
Let It Be
Magical Mystery Tour
Not included because they are identical music-wise to the already released UK albums.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 02:33 PM   #8
Blackguard
Paperback Writer

I just took a peek at the US albums on iTunes. The box is there along with the individual titles. But there are no previews of the songs. I imagine this is because the box has not been released yet. I guess after the release date we can listen to previews and decide more about buying or not buying.

Last edited by Blackguard : Jan 11, 2014 at 08:38 AM.
Blackguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:37 PM   #9
Uncle_Albert
Day Tripper

Ivan Capitol is Capitol
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:16 PM   #10
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

But these are not "The Capitol Albums." These are "The U.S. Albums." Or more accurately, "The U.K. Mixes in the Packaging of the U.S. Albums."

The only one I'm interested in is The Beatles' Story, which naturally is exclusive to the box set. I'll probably get it used eventually. I know that it was just for copyright extension purposes, but I wish they'd actually done a nice CD set of the Bootleg Recordings 1963 rather than waste plastic on the not-U.S. albums.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2014, 06:45 PM   #11
Ivan P
Nowhere Man

Sad news. Confirmation that the set does indeed use the 2009 remasters and not the unique mixes created by Capitol:

http://www.examiner.com/article/upco...alerts_article

The reasoning being that as the US masters were created from 2nd/3rd/4th generation tapes, the source material simply wasn't of the standard to warrant a thorough remastering (strange how that has changed in the decade since The Capitol Albums).

“Many of the songs used on the original U.S. albums were made from second, third, and even fourth-generation tapes. In compiling this box set, the decision was made not to remaster from the original Capitol master tapes. While doing so would have been the easiest way to go, it would not have created the best possible listening experience.”

The booklet continues, explaining their reasoning: “In an effort to preserve the original intentions of the band, and the producers, the masters used in this box set are, in most cases, the same as the stereo and mono remasters released in 2009 as part of the Parlophone/Apple Corps. Catalog, all approved by George Martin and the Beatles. All the duophonic mixes have been replaced with the approved stereo mixes when available and some mono mixes in the few instances where no true stereo mix exists.” In conclusion, it says, “Great care was taken to preserve the specific mixes and edits that make these U.S. Albums unique. These tracks, originally sent to the U.S. by George Martin, have been remastered from the original 1960s U.S. master analog tapes. They have been combined with the U.K approved masters to reproduce the same sequence, order, and levels as presented on the U.S. Beatles albums. The original U.S. albums were used as models and set the overall direction for the process.”

It still isn't crystal clear exactly what has happened though - yes, they will be the 2009 remasters, but it also sounds like that have done some tinkering to make them sound like the US mixes?

Quote:
Ivan Capitol is Capitol
Which was owned by EMI, which also owned Parlophone. Yes, those later albums were released by Capitol in the US, but they were practically identical to those released by Parlophone in the UK. If the box set was a "complete" Capitol set then buyers would be purchasing some of the exact same albums they already own in the form of the 2009 remasters. I believe the use of the word "complete" in the opening post refers to the completion of releasing the albums that are unique to the US.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 08:18 PM   #12
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan P View Post
“In an effort to preserve the original intentions of the band, and the producers, the masters used in this box set are, in most cases, the same as the stereo and mono remasters released in 2009 as part of the Parlophone/Apple Corps. Catalog, all approved by George Martin and the Beatles."
If they're so concerned about preserving the band's intentions, then why are they bothering with re-releasing the Capitol albums at all? The band didn't like them in the 60s and made the British catalog universal almost 30 years ago. I know some people are still nostalgic, but '87 should have been the end of it. Why reintroduce this crap? And I guess it's nice that they're releasing them individually since there's a lot of overlap with the two box sets from 2004 and 2006, but I feel sorry for the sap who mistakenly picks up a copy of Revolver with 11 tracks.

All that said, the cynic in me is imagining that the reason they're using the 2009 masters is so that they can "celebrate" the 60th anniversary with a set of the correct Capitol versions.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2014, 06:52 AM   #13
Winston O' Boogie
Day Tripper

Maybe Crapitol will release the first million of "Yesterday and Today" with the "Trunk" cover pasted over the "Butcher" cover so you'll have to remove the "Trunk" cover to see what was replaced!

Funny how memories seem to be marketed and or enhanced these days!
Winston O' Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:34 PM   #14
Ivan P
Nowhere Man

The albums are all available on iTunes now and I've had a quick listen comparing the samples to the Capitol Albums sets and the 2009 remasters.

It's a mixed bag when it comes to what made the cut and what didn't alteration-wise. It looks like tracks that were actually different (ie. alternate mix, take, etc) are retained - the mono version of I'll Cry Instead is indeed long enough to have the additional verse, and the stereo version of I'm Looking Through You is long enough to have the false starts intact.

HOWEVER, it doesn't seem like any of the effects applied to the US masters, such as additional echo, reverb, fake stereo, etc are intact, at least not on any of the samples I compared (I went through most on The Beatles' Second Album, which is the one that probably had the most echo applied on the original). This is a shame for the people that grew up with these albums, as even though the track list is correct the way the music sounds is not...
Old Jan 18, 2014, 01:40 AM   #15
Uncle_Albert
Day Tripper

the Music is brilliant but the cheap paper digipacks are bull

Last edited by bearkat77 : Jan 20, 2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 04:27 PM   #16
Ivan P
Nowhere Man

Here's a brilliant review on Amazon that seems to finally clarify EXACTLY what is included.

So it seems like if the track was in fake stereo it has been replaced by the true stereo version. And if the mono version was a fold down of the true stereo version, it has been replaced by the true mono version. If the track was in true stereo or mono and then had effects added (eg. reverb) it seems the majority of these are included (not true in the case of several tracks on The Beatles' Second Album). The mono versions of She's A Woman and I Feel Fine on Beatles '65, for example, clearly retain the reverb when compared to the 2009 remaster. The reverb is not on the stereo versions of the tracks on the same album as they were fake stereo, and as such were replaced by the UK stereo mixes.

However, in the case of stereo versions of tracks taken from the UK Help! and Rubber Soul albums, they have elected to use the 1987 remixes as opposed to the original 1965 mixes (surely it wasn't that hard considering they're freely available in the Mono set).

Confusing, huh?

The real kicker is on 2 albums (A Hard Day's Night and Something New) we get 3 - yes 3 - copies of the same extended mono mix of I'll Cry Instead. Value for money indeed

Last edited by Ivan P : Jan 21, 2014 at 04:31 PM.
Ivan P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2014, 03:57 PM   #17
Dr. Robert

Can someone please bottom-line me on these??: If I have the 2009 remasters, do I have the versions on this set (with the soundtrack stuff not being a factor)? F'rinstance, the songs on "Yesterday...And Today", they would be the 2009 versions I would hear, not the 1966 Capitol versions. "Meet The Beatles" would be 2009 remastered, not the 1964 Capitol versions? right? If that's the case, I've got no use for it save for "The Beatles Story", UA's 'AHDN'.. This whole thing sucks either for confusion's sake or bull**** repetitive 2009 sake. Please , someone let me know..
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:21 PM   #18
Legs
Sun King

It's a bit more complicated then that.
Hope that this post on the S.H. forums helps.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread.../#post-9962553

In the case of "Revolver" there is no need to get that one at all, since both the mono and stereo are the 2009 versions just with lesser songs. Also no need for "Help" as it's the 2009 versions, with just the bond intro tacked onto the begining of the song "Help", and in case of the stereo version you get the 2009 remasters of the 1987 remixes.

However you still get unique U.S. mixes scattered across the rest of the set.

The longer edit of "I'll Cry Instead" on both "Something New" and "A Hard Days Night" soundtrack for instance. Not sure why it's also in stereo tho. Then there are three unique u.s. mono versions of revolver tracks on "Yesterday and Today". But then they used the 2009 versions for the stereo part.

If you would also have the two volumes Capitol album box sets,
I'd say you can skip this one. Maybe just buy "A Hard Days Night" and "Yesterday and Today" seperatly for the few unique mixes.
If you don't have the two Capitol box sets then maybe you can add a few others that has the most unique mixes.
Conclusion tho the whole thing is a mess. I'd rather they had just released a volume 3 with the true U.S. versions.
As it is I just got the "A hard days's night" and "Yesterday and Today" cd's.

Last edited by Legs : Jan 25, 2014 at 11:26 PM.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2014, 04:58 PM   #19
Winston O' Boogie
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs View Post
It's a bit more complicated then that.
Hope that this post on the S.H. forums helps.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread.../#post-9962553

In the case of "Revolver" there is no need to get that one at all, since both the mono and stereo are the 2009 versions just with lesser songs. Also no need for "Help" as it's the 2009 versions, with just the bond intro tacked onto the begining of the song "Help", and in case of the stereo version you get the 2009 remasters of the 1987 remixes.

However you still get unique U.S. mixes scattered across the rest of the set.

The longer edit of "I'll Cry Instead" on both "Something New" and "A Hard Days Night" soundtrack for instance. Not sure why it's also in stereo tho. Then there are three unique u.s. mono versions of revolver tracks on "Yesterday and Today". But then they used the 2009 versions for the stereo part.

If you would also have the two volumes Capitol album box sets,
I'd say you can skip this one. Maybe just buy "A Hard Days Night" and "Yesterday and Today" seperatly for the few unique mixes.
If you don't have the two Capitol box sets then maybe you can add a few others that has the most unique mixes.
Conclusion tho the whole thing is a mess. I'd rather they had just released a volume 3 with the true U.S. versions.
As it is I just got the "A hard days's night" and "Yesterday and Today" cd's.
Thank you for clarfifying the confusion, "Yesterday and Today" seemed to me the one to get from the start .... it's a shame they did not release the "Butcher Cover" as in the 45th Anniversary Japanese version

Old Jan 28, 2014, 06:08 PM   #20
Winston O' Boogie
Day Tripper

Quote:
the Music is brilliant but the cheap paper digipacks are bull

Although one thing unique that was just shown to be by a neighbor was that the "Trunk" cover is actually a separate sheet that is covering the butcher cover so the authenticity of that original release is intact