BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Goodnight Vienna

Old Nov 04, 2013, 04:35 AM   #1
yol
Apple Scruff

Default Ringo in concert today

I don't mean to wail on the old guy, and this is hearsay (albeit very reliable), but:
My brother went to see Ringo and his All Starr Band in Sydney earlier this year and came away a little disappointed.
Ringo, apparently, only gets on stage for half an hour or so, leaving most of the show to his band, which is a group of very good musicians. The thing about them is, however, that you're unlikely to have heard of them unless you had made specific inquires into the CD covers of better-known artists. Many of them seem to be session players or former members of this or that famous band. Steve Luthaker might be the stand-out this time, but I'll bet you could drop a few grenades at a Ringo concert and not harm anyone who could have picked Steve out in a Toto line-up.

My brother, it must be said, is quite knowledgeable about the Beatles, without being the Abbey-Road-album-cover-shirt-wearing type.

He said, "Well, I paid eighty bucks to see a Beatle. Might never get the chance again."

Amen to that, I suppose.
yol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2013, 02:31 AM   #2
johnnymain
Mr. Moonlight

Really, only thirty minutes?

The last time I saw Ringo (as he has every other time) he sits on the drums when he's not singing so he's never really off stage.

I've not heard any other occasions when this has happened on his recent tour, but one reason may be that Ringo wasn't feeling well and rather than pull the gig, went on a did the best he could.

www.metaltalk.net for Daily Metal News, Reviews and Opinions
johnnymain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2013, 01:57 AM   #3
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

Total Nonsense, and your brother is not a very reliable source AT ALL!!

The show was nearly 2 and half hours and Ringo was onstage the WHOLE TIME!!

Both you and your brother are obviously unaware of the All Starr Band - something Ringo has been touring with FOR NEARLY 25 YEARS NOW!! The concept is very simple - Ringo gets up does his Beatles and solo numbers, then goes round the band with each member performing their own hits, with Ringo and the rest of the band backing them. Ringo does some more, and everyone gets the chance to shine. Ringo is onstage the WHOLE 2 and half hours playing drums or up front singing, save for Black Magic Woman. 30 Mins?! Come on.. try 2 and half hours!!It is a completly unique concept and you wont see anything like it elsewhere.

As for the band not being known to the public, Steve Lukather is the driving force behind TOTO, and one of the finest guitarists in the world recently playing as part of G3 with Steve Vai and Satriani! Todd Rundgren?! Absolute legend from the 70's! Greg Rollie - founding member and Original Vocalist for both Journey and Santana - 2 of the biggest bands of all time! Surely your brother has heard of them?! Richard Page from Mister Mister maybe not as huge but had some great hits in the 80's and All Starr Mainstays Mark Rivera and Gregg Bisonette are both excellent. I must also say IMO this is probably the best all starr lineup since the 1997 tour..

I caught both shows in NZ so saw this very tour and rate it as one of the best concerts ive ever seen. Ringo was bounding with energy and youd never believe he was in his early 70's..

Dont believe everything your brother tells you. Anyone that had done even the tiniest bit of research, or even looked at the show poster they were going to would see who the band was and what bands theyare from, its not rocket science and you dont need to be a music expert to know who they are or the songs they are responsible for..

It even says "Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band" on the Ticket!!

"take me to the river, drop me in the water..."
- David Byrne
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2013, 05:39 PM   #4
peace&love
Fool On The Hill

Default 2003

I saw Richy in 2003 with a terrific line-up ( SheliaE!!!) and most of the concert was Richy.
At one point he took off his glasses, between songs and wiped his face with a wee towel. There were his beautiful eyes.
He even does little things cool.
I would love to see him again.
And again.
peace&love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 01, 2014, 03:35 PM   #5
constance
Nowhere Man

Ringo is playing in my city for the first time this summer and I think I will have to go, much as I dislike going to concerts, etc...I don't see how he could be disappointing, though I would want him on stage the whole, or most, of the show...hope that is the case.
constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 01, 2014, 05:09 PM   #6
Lynner

Ringo puts on a fun show. I have seen him quite a few times and always enjoyed watching him play and sing.
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote