BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Goodnight Vienna

Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:21 AM   #1
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Default How could Ringo re-launch himself ?

... since most of us seem to agree his last few albums weren't exactly outstanding efforts...

First thought was for him to get the Roundheads going again

Maybe, maybe not... Hudson and a few others contrtibuted to a track here, a track there, on his more recent albums, and the magic wasn't quite all there anymore, in most of those cases

Jeff Lynne ? ... I'd agree...

Paul ? ... of all forms of ex-fab works, why have we never seen something along the lines of Paul producing and maybe also writing-up an entire Ringo album, or at least, most of it ?

... then it hit me, why not Joe Walsh ?

Now, if Ringo and Joe could put out an album anywhere near as good sounding as the had with "Old Wave", and in the same vein, I'd pay real money to hear that !
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:56 AM   #2
Lynner

I like the idea of Paul producing a Ringo album. After all, who knows Ringo's style the best? Not sure who else I'd like Ringo to work with. Jeff Lynne, you say? Hmmm....maybe. I'd actuallly like to see him do something more along the lines of the Travelling Willbury's. Not so much as the frontman, but an equal partner.
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 01:46 PM   #3
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Bring in a hip, young producer--someone who respects his past, but will bring him into the 21st century. Jack White and Jeff Tweedy have done commendable jobs revitalizing the work of some older artists (Loretta Lynn, Wanda Jackson, Mavis Staples). Invite some current rock performers to collaborate on individual songs (for some reason, I really think the DeLeo brothers from Stone Temple Pilots would work well with Ringo). Joss Stone was a nice step, but he's gotta take it further.

The bottom line is that he needs to do something unpredictable. Time Takes Time was a step in the right direction after a long hiatus. Vertical Man took that sound even further to be his best album in 25 years. Ringo Rama was a solid continuation in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. But then the references to Beatles songs became more and more forced. The token "Liverpool" tracks sounded less reflective and more obligatory. And take a friggin' shot every time he uses the words "peace" or "love" and see if you're still alive when the album finishes...if you are, it's only because his albums are, like, 18 minutes long now (which may be a good thing).

I'm not saying he should completely reinvent himself, but you never know what to expect when there's a new McCartney album coming out. With Ringo, the formula is set in stone at this point and it just makes his albums boring. I could write these songs in my sleep--and I have, it's a rare condition called Ringolepsy.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:55 PM   #4
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I think Paul would be a most welcome source of input.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Sep 18, 2013 at 09:56 PM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:37 PM   #5
hibgal
Sun King

A real hard rock album would be interesting, something with a strong beat to it. No ballads or Liverpool song. No need for Ringo to write all the song either because, let's face it, he's not the best songwriter on this planet. Paul feels a bit retro to me. RR has the right idea with somebody younger and more 'now' than his usual gang. Nothing against Walsh per se but, well, he's another ol' geezer.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote