BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:00 AM   #1
beatlesrarest
Fool On The Hill

Default Rarest Beatles Record Cover Found

This is one of 3 or 4 known to exist in collectors hands. It is the SGT Peppers Sales Executive Doctored Cover. A facebook page was just made for it. It will be auctioned off in July at Heritage Auctions if it isn't sold by then.
https://www.facebook.com/rarestbeatlesrecord?ref=hl

Last edited by beatlesrarest : Mar 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM.
beatlesrarest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 01, 2013, 11:31 AM   #2
PleaseMrPostman
Fool On The Hill

I was hoping for an actual rare cover. ;_;
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:35 AM   #3
jb412
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlesrarest View Post
This is one of 3 or 4 known to exist in collectors hands. It is the SGT Peppers Sales Executive Doctored Cover. A facebook page was just made for it. It will be auctioned off in July at Heritage Auctions if it isn't sold by then.
https://www.facebook.com/rarestbeatlesrecord?ref=hl

What makes it rare? I'm new to this board but this Sgt. Peppers looks pretty cool and I'm intrigued about its story...
jb412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:38 AM   #4
beatlesrarest
Fool On The Hill

There have been several articles written about it. It was ranked #1 by the UK's record collector Magazine as being the rarest and most valuable cover in the world.
It is currently at auction at Heritage Auctions http://entertainment.ha.com/c/item.z...81&lotNo=46156 and has a current bid of $8,000 . You can go to the facebook page above to see articles and description on the auction listing is:

Beatles Ultra Rare Album Cover Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Capitol SMAS 2653, 1967). Most collectors think of the censored "butcher cover" when the topic of rare Beatles album covers comes up. But this super-rare version featuring 40 Capitol Records executives' faces rather than the original collage of celebrities is much more scarce - it's believed only 40-50 copies were ever produced! They were distributed at a Capitol party, essentially one for each of the executives pictured! In a special poll conducted for the December, 2011 issue of the UK's Record Collector this cover was ranked #1 on a list of the world's most expensive record covers, valued at approximately 70,000 or more than $100,000. Noted Beatles expert Perry Cox describes it as "among the rarest and most interesting artifacts produced during the original era of the Beatles."

The custom cover came out in late 1967 after the initial pressings earlier that year, and bears the "All Rights Reserved ..." print at the the bottom right back cover and "NEMS Ent ..." at the lower right back cover. "With a Little Help From My Friends" is printed correctly on the record, another marker of the later 1967 pressing.

This particular copy belonged to Marvin Beisel, Capitol's national sales director, and one of the executives pictured on the cover. Condition: EX 7 (cover)/ EX 7 (disc). LOA from Perry Cox. Estimate: $15,000 - up.
beatlesrarest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 08:04 PM   #5
infogal
Little Child

Great find! I know no one who has it and I know a lot of collectors (myself included) and this is truly a rarity! Thanks for sharing the photo of it too!
infogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2014, 05:22 AM   #6
Bootleg
Fool On The Hill

Send a message via Skype™ to Bootleg
Default Rare or not

I am new to the site and I haven't got very many albums, but I have got a sleeve with both mono and stereo identity and also the words "this is a mono recording" I believe this is quite rare.

Just an after thought. I know the word or rather acronym CD is probably making the hairs on the back of your neck stand up but I never see any information on rare CD's. Are there any?
Bootleg is offline   Reply With Quote