BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:11 PM   #21
Richbeat7
Fool On The Hill

Charlie Lennon, Polly Lennon and Edith Lennon on Edith's wedding day, outside 'Coppie' the Lennon family home in Copperfield Street, Toxteth. (From Scot Wheelers book on Charlie's life)

Another of Edith Lennon, Jack and Polly's only surviving daughter (Obviously got the Lennon wit!):

Richbeat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:14 PM   #22
Richbeat7
Fool On The Hill

Not a family photo as such, but Berkley Street, taken before it was demolished in the sixties:

This was the site of the Stanley family home, a ground floor apartment, in the 1920's and 1930's. John's mother grew up here as a teenager and lived there for much of her courtship with Fred Lennon.

Last edited by Richbeat7 : Dec 09, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Richbeat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:29 PM   #23
Maia 66
Sun King

Three Stanley sisters (Mater, Harrie, Mimi) and Cyn:

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Last edited by Maia 66 : Dec 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:51 AM   #24
wildewoman
Taxman

Default Wow, Cyn looks absolutely thrilled to be there....

NOT! This photo speaks volumes.

--Oscar Wilde, The Critic as Artist
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:05 AM   #25
Maia 66
Sun King

Wow, a photo of Jackie Baird... with the same fan who posed with Liela and with Mimi.

All I want is the truth

Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:10 AM   #26
Maia 66
Sun King

This guy had quite the trip to Liverpool! Here he is again with two rellies named John. The John on the left is Liela's son, and the John on the right is John's nephew, Julia Baird's son:

All I want is the truth

Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:19 AM   #27
Maia 66
Sun King

And here's Waldo (oops, I mean Chema... that's his name) with Uncle Charlie and then with Cousin Stanley:

All I want is the truth

Last edited by Maia 66 : Dec 30, 2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:12 PM   #28
Maia 66
Sun King

Cousin Stanley at Kenwood:

All I want is the truth

Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:14 PM   #29
Maia 66
Sun King

John and Yoko in Woolton with Aunt Harrie and her dog Sophie:

All I want is the truth

Old Mar 21, 2013, 06:28 PM   #30
Maia 66
Sun King

John, Cousin David, and Cousin Liela/Leila:

All I want is the truth

Old Mar 21, 2013, 06:30 PM   #31
Maia 66
Sun King

Uncle George (with Cousin Liela and John, I believe... and Sally the Dog?):

All I want is the truth

Last edited by Maia 66 : Mar 21, 2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 01:35 PM   #32
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post

Uncle George (with Cousin Liela and John, I believe... and Sally the Dog?):

Nice pictures of John's young years; I haven't seen many pictures of oncle George so far... thank's for sharing

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2013, 02:35 PM   #33
John from Liverpool
Little Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbeat7 View Post
Not a family photo as such, but Berkley Street, taken before it was demolished in the sixties:

This was the site of the Stanley family home, a ground floor apartment, in the 1920's and 1930's. John's mother grew up here as a teenager and lived there for much of her courtship with Fred Lennon.
Berkley Street was where the wealthy lived at one time, especially pre-WW2 when the Stanley's were living there. Captain Smith of the Titanic once lived in Berkley Street. After WW2 with immigration from the West Indies and a dire shortage of accommodation, the houses were bought up by slumlords and converted to overcrowded rooming houses. The street became full of poor West Indians. The houses deteriorated rapidly, as can be seen in the photo by the removal of the cast-iron balconies, rather than maintain them, and the visible deterioration of the building fabric.

Just off Berkley Street was Upper Stanhope Street where pre WW1 Adolf Hitler's brother Alois lived, at 102B. Hitler's nephew, William Patrick Hitler was born in Upper Stanhope Street. Ironically 102 Stanhope Street was the last house in Liverpool to be bombed by the Lufwaffe in WW2.

The street was demolished in the late 1960s/early 1970s.

Last edited by John from Liverpool : Jul 02, 2013 at 06:12 AM.
John from Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2013, 02:43 PM   #34
John from Liverpool
Little Child

Quote:
Charlie Lennon, Polly Lennon and Edith Lennon on Edith's wedding day, outside 'Coppie' the Lennon family home in Copperfield Street, Toxteth. (From Scot Wheelers book on Charlie's life)

My Great Grandparents lived opposite the Lennon's in Copperfield Street. They were there when John's father was born in the street. It is likely they gave a hand after the birth as neighbours pulled together in those days. I delivered newspapers in the street when a kid. The street had a very cosy neighbourly feel. The whole street was demolished in the 1970s.

Last edited by John from Liverpool : Jul 02, 2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old Jul 02, 2013, 10:00 AM   #35
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Here is a picture of John's uncle Sydney Lennon (From Alfred Lennon's second wife Pauline Lennon/Stone's book)

And his and his wife Maggie's gravestone in Canada where they emigrated in 1967. Sydney managed a tailor shop in Liverpool, and lived to 93 years of age.

I think Syd shared his older brother George's good looks! Both were in fact full brothers to John's father, sons of Jack and Polly Lennon. No sons survived Jack's first marriage just a daughter. George was his and Polly's eldest son. Sadly George died of T.B at the family home aged 50, nursed by brother Charlie.
Somehow, I missed this post. (That's what happens when it's the last post on the page... )

Anyroad (said with my best fake Scouse accent)... Oh aye, Syd was definitely quite the looker! Those Lennon boys were handsome devils—even ol' Freddie/Alf was pretty cute when he was young... Thanks for the info about Jack and Polly.

If you're still checking here, how's the book going? I'd still love to read it!

All I want is the truth

Old Jul 02, 2013, 10:14 AM   #36
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from Liverpool View Post
Berkley Street was where the wealthy lived at one time, especially pre-WW2 when the Stanley's were living there. Captain Smith of the Titanic once lived in Berkley Street. After WW2 with immigration from the West Indies and a dire shortage of accommodation, the houses were bought up by slumlords and converted to overcrowded rooming houses. The street became full of poor West Indians. The houses deteriorated rapidly, as can be seen in the photo by the removal of the cast-iron balconies, rather than maintain them, and the visible deterioration of the building fabric.

Just off Berkley Street was Upper Stanhope Street where pre WW1 Adolf Hitler's brother Alois lived, at 102B. Hitler's nephew, William Patrick Hitler was born in Upper Stanhope Street. Ironically 102 Stanhope Street was the last house in Liverpool to be bombed by the Lufwaffe in WW2.

The street was demolished in the late 1960s/early 1970s.
Nothing like a tour of the old neighborhood led by an actual Scouser! Ta for the info... I'm surprised to hear the Stanleys lived in a posh neighborhood. When they moved to Newcastle Road, that was a step down then?

Fascinating stuff about Alois. I'd only recently learned about that. According to Wikipedia, his wife Bridget claims that ol' Adolf himself stayed with them in '12/'13, dodging Austrian conscription. Which means that little Mimi could have unwittingly met the fuhrer... but I doubt she did, because she would've sussed him out for the horrific scoundrel that he was!

All I want is the truth

Old Jul 02, 2013, 02:31 PM   #37
John from Liverpool
Little Child

Quote:
Nothing like a tour of the old neighborhood led by an actual Scouser! Ta for the info... I'm surprised to hear the Stanleys lived in a posh neighborhood. When they moved to Newcastle Road, that was a step down then?

Fascinating stuff about Alois. I'd only recently learned about that. According to Wikipedia, his wife Bridget claims that ol' Adolf himself stayed with them in '12/'13, dodging Austrian conscription. Which means that little Mimi could have unwittingly met the fuhrer... but I doubt she did, because she would've sussed him out for the horrific scoundrel that he was!
Bridget was emphatic that Adolf visited the district - Adolf denied ever being in England, for embarrassing reasons. Hitler historians came to a void in the period Bridget claimed Adolf was in Liverpool, giving credence to her story. Bridget said he was impressed with the district and the extensive dock facilities, railways and shipping. In those days it must have been some sight.

Moving to Newcastle Rd would have been a step sideways. If they owned Newcastle Rd It would have been a step up. It is unlikely that they owned the place in Berkley St.

Last edited by John from Liverpool : Jul 04, 2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:03 AM   #38
SirDavid48
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Wow, a photo of Jackie Baird... with the same fan who posed with Liela and with Mimi.

Jackie Dykins. Julia Baird is her sister.
SirDavid48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:07 AM   #39
SirDavid48
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
This guy had quite the trip to Liverpool! Here he is again with two rellies named John. The John on the left is Liela's son, and the John on the right is John's nephew, Julia Baird's son:

As you look at the photo, John Higgins is on the left (Jackie Dykins son), John Harvey on the right (Liela Harvey's eldest son).
SirDavid48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 09:03 AM   #40
Maia 66
Sun King

Thanks for setting the record straight, David. The two Johns... I just took from that guy's website, but the Jackie thing was my own brain fart. But I'm so glad you corrected both because there's so much BS on the internet, I think it's important to get it right.

All I want is the truth