BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > New Products > The Remasters

Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:21 AM   #1
Dr Winston
Day Tripper

Default The Beatles Stereo Vinyl Box Set

The Beatles have released their complete, newly remastered vinyl collection in The Beatles Stereo Vinyl Box Set. All of their classic records have been beautifully remastered using the most meticulous vinyl mastering processes.

Manufactured on 180-gram, audiophile quality vinyl with replicated artwork, the 14 albums return to their original glory with details including the poster in The Beatles (The White Album), the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band's cut-outs, and special inner bags for some of the titles.

The albums are accompanied by a stunning, elegantly designed 252-page hardbound book in a lavish boxed edition which is limited to 50,000 copies worldwide.

USA Vinyl Box Set
UK Vinyl Box Set

Last edited by Jerry : Nov 14, 2012 at 04:31 AM.
Dr Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:28 PM   #2
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

The Beatles, as God intended them to be heard. I've always been of the opinion that these records have never sounded as good as their original vinyl releases. The CD age diminished the Beatles catalog. Well, right up until the 2009 remasters which were extremely enjoyable. But this is the best release to date. In the "For Sale" forum of this board someone is asking $12,000 for a first pressing of Please, Please Me. That's a lot of money for a record that doesn't sound as good as this copy.
Colonel Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:02 AM   #3
wallrus59
Bulldog

well i have heard the abbey road that a friend shared the vinyl rip..us edition.. for a new record it sounded very noisy..it is my understanding quite a few people are saying the US set is noisier than the EU set...i have one friend who is working with music direct to replace some copies in the box with individual copies..don't know how that will work..seems they were pressed in the US by Rainbo..and they are rumored to not have a very good track record.

here's what uncle mikey says..

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/abbey-roadblock

gk.

Last edited by wallrus59 : Nov 18, 2012 at 10:04 AM. Reason: uummm
wallrus59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:13 AM   #4
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

Wow, Uncle Mikey is a tough customer. I have only listened to PPM through Sgt Pepper thus far. I couldn't be more thrilled w the audio. It's mastered a bit lower than the CD versions. Which means there's more headroom when you utilize your system's volume. There's definitely a better range of frequency response on these vinyl editions. And he's correct when he says the packaging is not the glossy and vibrant colors of the originals. I don't know what he means when he says "noisy". But it's not evident up through SPLHCB. I'm a musician and have experience w recording and mastering of sound so I do have a somewhat discernible ear. You have to also consider that this music has never been heard this good as a result of the technology of today's sound systems. If you have a first pressing of Please, Please Me, it was lost on the original owner how good it would sound 50 yrs in the future. Those original albums quality never diminished as technology advanced in those 5 decades. We were discovering how good those pressings were w every advancement. I remember reading reviews for the cd's when they were first released in (I think) '87 and they were raving about how these recordings have never been available w this kind of sonic clarity. They were wrong. It wasn't the cd's that brought it out. It was always there on those original albums. It was the technology on which we played the records that betrayed us.

Last edited by Colonel Angus : Nov 18, 2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:30 PM   #5
wallrus59
Bulldog

i don't know man..some of these guys are listening to these records on some exotic rigs..

Bergmann Audio "Magne" with Bergmann Magne (tangential air-bearing tonearm)

http://www.aaudioimports.com/ShowPro...p?hProduct=210

then throw on a cart that cost more than a month's salary for a lot of folks...guess that's what they are talking about when they say their "rigs is not very forgiving of "noisy" pressings".

btw i have just listened to an EU pressing of SPLHCB..it sounds better than the US pressing.

but i read it costs $100 bucks to have it (box set) shipped here.

gk.

Last edited by wallrus59 : Nov 18, 2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: err.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:58 PM   #6
wallrus59
Bulldog

this was one of the carts..

http://www.gcaudio.com/products/revi...foortofon.html

http://www.ortofon.com/products/cart...oving-coil/a90

or this one..

http://www.sound-smith.com/cartridges/paua.html

man , i am just thankful for my old 1987 Dual/Ortofon and an old SAE amp with wharfedale speakers...though nowadays i am listening mostly though my laptop...with headphones..hope to get an audioquest dragonfly one day..

http://www.audioquest.com/usb_digita.../dragonfly-dac

gk.

Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:17 PM   #7
wallrus59
Bulldog

have you heard the USB Apple? it is 24/44.1 same as the source for these vinyl lps are.

Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:14 AM   #8
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

I'm certainly no audiofile but I can pick an instrument like that Bo Diddly tom drum in I'm Happy Just to Dance w you and hear it's full frequency response for the first time since the cd age where it was all but vanished. Those systems you posted, Walrus, are a bit more sophisticated than mine. So I will listen to the opinion of those that are hearing things on that high level audio gear.

Where did you get a UK Pepper's so quick and in what ways was it better?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:42 PM   #9
wallrus59
Bulldog

just a favor.

Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:35 PM   #10
wallrus59
Bulldog

yeah some of these guys carts have such separation..things stand out like never before..ever heard these..

The Beatles - Please Please Me - UK 2-Box Stereo LP Tube Cut

it is a nice lp i found on the green monster before it went south earlier this year.

gk.

Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:14 PM   #11
MagicalMysteryDolphins
Little Child

I wonder if enough people bought the vinyl albums to appear on the Billboard 200. Since vinyl is more of a die-hard/collector's/audiofile thing, will be interesting to see just how many were sold.

Best. Blog. Ever. (Mine!)
MagicalMysteryDolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:29 AM   #12
johncharles
Nowhere Man

Is the box set worth buying?
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:45 AM   #13
wallrus59
Bulldog

i know guys that have bought it..

none satisfied with the complete box especially the US box...one sent the complete box back and another worked out with his seller to return the lps he was not satisfied with.

the fellow who sent his back is getting the EU box sent to him..

have heard both in raw form the US pressings do have surface noise not present on the EU pressings...but these guys are techies and use programs to open the files to 24 bit (adobe audition) and they use programs for click repair and removing surface noise...they are all waiting to see if the mono are coming and if the pressing will be done at the same place..

the word i get is buy at your own risk..

would be nice if MFSL redid their take..who knows??

gk.

Last edited by wallrus59 : Dec 24, 2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:17 AM   #14
johncharles
Nowhere Man

Thanks, it's definitely disappointing as I was looking forward to making this purchase, but I'm turned off by the reviews of the US box. Maybe, the mono pressing will be better (fingers crossed). Thanks for replying, Wallrus59.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:05 PM   #15
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallrus59 View Post
i know guys that have bought it..

none satisfied with the complete box especially the US box...one sent the complete box back and another worked out with his seller to return the lps he was not satisfied with.

the fellow who sent his back is getting the EU box sent to him..

have heard both in raw form the US pressings do have surface noise not present on the EU pressings...but these guys are techies and use programs to open the files to 24 bit (adobe audition) and they use programs for click repair and removing surface noise...they are all waiting to see if the mono are coming and if the pressing will be done at the same place..

the word i get is buy at your own risk..

would be nice if MFSL redid their take..who knows??

gk.
Are these complaints directed solely at the box sets, or are the single albums getting complaints?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:24 PM   #16
wallrus59
Bulldog

almost all US pressings are getting reports of "noise" and more "ticks and pops" than you would expect from new vinyl being released..this is both box and individual lps.
like i said though most of these guys rip the vinyl to computers and save their vinyl from repeated playback...there are many who have software that can remove these anomalies from the digital file and they sound like a great press..
some people go to extremes to get the best sound from the record..check this....this is very extreme...

but that above is usually done with vinyl when all else fails...and it still requires post processing with software most of the time..

i just have read that most of the people are not satisfied with the new releases...US pressings, find an article about the place that pressed them....some are..most were bummed that the sources were 24/44.1 and not24/192 or at least 24/96....go back to the link above from analog planet i feel sure he has listened to all and there is plenty of responses....here is what a master says about it...an it is a damn shame just like he says..

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...&postcount=237

gk.

Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:32 PM   #17
wallrus59
Bulldog

mmm, yummy..

gk.

Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:51 AM   #18
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

I have used wood glue to do a good, deep clean on old, extremely dirty records. I would never try it on a new album. It's messy and takes days of drying. However, it does a deep, thorough cleaning. I primarily use a Nitty Gritty professional cleaning vacuum. It's much less messy and just as thorough.

That being said, I have not had one click, pop, or snap on my box set recordings. But if I did, I would apply a Nitty Gritty cleaning to it to ensure there was no factory pressing residue in the grooves causing those pops.

I also have a USB connection on my turntable to transfer vinyl to CD. But what's the point? Digital is digital.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:14 PM   #19
wallrus59
Bulldog

when you rip to your computer as digital do you save the files as 24/96?

Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:34 PM   #20
wallrus59
Bulldog

here is a friend's routine from about 18 months ago..he has since upgraded his rig...when getting ready to rip...but i assure you this digital sounds better than most digital..you will just have to download it and listen to it..make sure your soundcard supports hi res 24/96 out and give it a go..digital is digital and hearing is 20-20,000..but you would just have to hear it..i posted a link to the original sgt pepper ripped to 24/96 and asked for folks to listen..no reply.

Nitty Gritty RCM 1.5
Technics SL-1210 MK2 DD Turntable
Origin Live OL1 fully modified tone arm (Rega RB250)
Audio-Technica AT33EV MC Cartridge
Pro-ject Tube Box SE II Preamp
Tascam US-144 external USB 2.0 Audiointerface
Mogami Gold TRS/RCA interconnects
Mac Pro Dual Zeon 2.66 GHz
Bias Peak Pro 6.2 recording software
Click Repair 3.4.1 for de-click (manual mode only)
iZotope RX Advanced 2.0 for Redbook conversion
xACT Version 2.13 (4791) for Redbook SBE correction, MD5 checksum and Redbook FLAC
XLD Version 20110703 (135.1) for 24/96 FLAC conversion
Mustek ScanExpress A3 USB 1200 Pro Scanner

RCM > TT > AT33EV > TubeBox preamp > ADC > Mac Pro > Peak Pro @ 24/96 >
analyze (no clipping, DC Bias offset correction, each side gain adjusted to -0.3 dB) > split into individual tracks >
Click Repair 3.4.1 used in manual mode, 20~30 Rev, Pitch Protection, X2 >
FLAC encoded Level 8 with XLD

gk.