BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > New Products > The Remasters

Old Nov 24, 2011, 04:08 PM   #1
Perderabo
Apple Scruff

Default EP Boxset

I noticed an item on Amazon Ep Boxset [Box set, Import, Original recording remastered]. I'm not sure what this really is. But I ordered it anyway. I have never owned that box set and this is the best price I have seen for it recently. Does anyone know anything about this? I wonder if the singles set will be rereleased as well.

Last edited by Perderabo : Nov 24, 2011 at 04:17 PM.
Perderabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Uncle_Albert
Day Tripper

maybe anyway
Uncle_Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 04:36 AM   #3
wallrus59
Bulldog

def. check the customer reviews...and make sure of return policy in case it is not as expected.

9 reviews so far 2 negative.

good luck.

gk.

wallrus59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:00 AM   #4
Perderabo
Apple Scruff

Those reviews all say "This review is from: Ep Boxset (Audio CD)" which is a clue that they do not represent this exact item. I see that all the time with Blu-rays... Amazon includes reviews from the DVD. And remember that the remasters were released on 09/09/09 (easy way to remember... "Number 9... Number 9... Number 9" from the White Album's Revolution 9). A review earlier than that date cannot apply to any remastered material.

One of the negative reviews applies to a third party who is still selling the set cheaper than Amazon. I did not order from that third party, I ordered from Amazon. The other negative review is from some twenty-something jerk who thinks The Beatles suck. (Somehow he was unfamiliar with The Beatles prior to this purchase!)

Amazon will let me return it. But unless the set is in deplorable condition I will probably keep it.

Last edited by Perderabo : Nov 25, 2011 at 06:00 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:26 AM   #5
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

I have this set. It was definitely an official release, not sure which year.

Until the mono and stereo sets came out a few years ago, this was the only official way to get mono mixes of some later songs, on the 'Yesterday' and 'Nowhere Man' EPs. There are a few other odd mixes in there too. But the highlight was clearly the mono Magical Mystery Tour EP.

Each EP has a very nice cover and everything, similar to the official CD singles box set. But if you've already got the big mono and stereo sets, this is definitley not worth it. Unless of course you've gotta have it all, then it's a no-brainer.

Last edited by Jerry : Nov 25, 2011 at 09:30 AM.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:08 AM   #6
Perderabo
Apple Scruff

The EP boxset was definitely official and it is still available at Amazon link. The claim is being made that a remastered edition has recently become available. I ordered the "remastered" set.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:39 PM   #7
Perderabo
Apple Scruff

My EP set has arrived. It is not everything that I had hoped it would be. But It is good enough and I am keeping it.

I have a download of the original EP set. It includes flacs for every track and jpg's of every cover and every disk. The covers match exactly. Every photo, every logo, every barcode, and every letter of text is where it should be. The quality though is not first class. It's not terrible, but the text is just not as sharp as you would expect with a first class job. The discs appearance is first class and they are a close match to the original discs. They give-away is in the margins. They actually say "www.imsgroup.it" on them. This means that these "imsgroup" guys had to whip up a new set of cd's. Strickly speaking, I guess these can be called "remasters". But all they did was copy the old CD's.

I have not listened to them yet. But with the real remasters, the packaging made it clear that the discs were remastered. No one would re-issue this set with the 9-9-9 remasters and then conceal it. Somewhere there would be a notice proudly proclaiming the "newness" of the set. So unless you think that having "www.imsgroup.it" is the margin of your CD's is really cool, there is nothing new here.

I will be charitable and call these "re-issues". They are good enough and they are less expensive than the original set. If, like me, you were missing this set, they represent reasonable value for money. But if you have the original set you really don't need to add this slightly substandard duplicate to your collection.