BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:34 PM   #61
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default Dear John

My favorite part:

Quote:
Dear John
Don't be hard on yourself
give yourself a break
life wasn't meant to be run
the race is over
you've won..."
I think he was trying to reassure himself and recognize that just because he wasn't out 'in the scene' and maybe had lost hold of his muse for a little didn't mean he still didn't have it. And of course, he had a LOT to be proud of. Sheesh.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Nov 11, 2011 at 12:36 PM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:47 PM   #62
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
I think he was trying to reassure himself and recognize that just because he wasn't out 'in the scene' and maybe had lost hold of his muse for a little didn't mean he still didn't have it. And of course, he had a LOT to be proud of. Sheesh.
Yes, John certainly knew to count his many blessings... but yet he couldn't seem to shake that "angel of destruction."

Okay, here's a fragment of a song that I don't believe came to anything... but the vid's got a cute photo of John & Sean :

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 02:14 PM   #63
wildewoman
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
I have no doubt that he derived a great deal of joy from spending so much time with Sean, and that the two of them had a profoundly loving relationship. In fact, when I hear the tapes of their interactions, I find myself wondering how John could have been so critical of himself as a father when he clearly had a natural knack for interacting with children. It's no wonder Sean is so intelligent, the way John used to talk to him!.
Well, self-esteem was never his strong point. His childhood "abandonment" and Aunt Mimi took care of that!

Quote:
My general feeling is that John needed to hide away to recover from a non-stop tidal wave of events that began on July 15, 1958 and went on through the Lost Weekend. When did that poor man, who struggled with so many internal issues and was so incredibly sensitive, have the time to stop and figure things out? I find it incredibly symbolic that the Dakota was so-named because of its remoteness, because one can compare its importance to John to Paul's Scottish farm or George's Friar Park. He was able to hide away right in the middle of a megalopolis.

And by claiming it was not the healthiest of households, I meant that things aren't so neat and tidy when working things out or when recovering from something.... especially when dealing with temperaments and personalities as strong and as complicated as John's and Yoko's.
Interesting, and very good points about the need to work through nearly 20 years' worth of issues and events...

Last edited by wildewoman : Nov 11, 2011 at 02:14 PM.
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 08:42 PM   #64
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default Mucho Mungo

I LOVE this demo!!!! So much. But I really don't know anything about it.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 08:56 PM   #65
hibgal
Sun King

The Beatles Bible website says this:

John Lennon wrote an early version of Mucho Mungo with Phil Spector during the first sessions for Rock 'N' Roll in late 1973. It was first recorded by Harry Nilsson, and one of Lennon's demos was eventually issued on the 1998 box set John Lennon Anthology.

Spector's contribution to Mucho Mungo was a middle section which has never been widely heard. Lennon recorded three home demos of the song, which he reportedly wrote with guitarist Jesse Ed Davis in mind.

It was instead taped during the sessions for Nilsson's album Pussy Cats, produced by Lennon in 1974. The song was recorded as a medley with one of Nilsson's own compositions, Mt Elga. A lengthy studio rehearsal, available on bootlegs, shows how the songs took shape in the studio, and how one couplet ended up being dropped: "Sailing on the good ship Lollipop/Open up a drug store, a nice kind of shop."

"I finished it once with Phil, but he [Nilsson] pointed out the bits he didn't like, which are exactly the bits that Phil wrote, which I didn't like. I'll give you Mucho Mungo. This is a hit record." - John Lennon, Pussy Cats studio session

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 09:00 PM   #66
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Thank you hib and Maia for providing this exquisite source. I know a little more now, but my preference has always been John's version alone with his guitar. I love the sound of his voice. In the demo with Sean crying, for such a long time I thought he was singing about Sean: "sail into the ocean/sail with me..."
Old Nov 15, 2011, 09:03 PM   #67
Maia 66
Sun King

Yes, gorgeous demo! Just goes to show how amazing John is... Nilsson does a nice version, of course... he has a beautiful voice and all. But there's just something transcendent about John's singing. He takes a lovely melody and makes it into a little slice of heaven.

Wish I knew the story about the song. It is a bit curious, no? Maybe a lovely Latina John met in L.A.? Or, since they say he had Jesse Ed Davis in mind, could it be about his girl?

All I want is the truth

Old Nov 15, 2011, 09:17 PM   #68
hibgal
Sun King

Default Tennessee

From the linear notes of the Behind The Lines bootleg:

This pleasant tune, inspired by the playwright Tennessee Williams, and its subsequent reworkings were unfortunately featured rather haphazardly in the LLT series, and tape copies reportedly circulating have yet to surface. The song dates back to John and May Pang's time together during the so called "Lost Weekend", but contrary to what she says in her memoir and what has been reported, 'Tennessee' is not really a precursor to 'Watching The Wheels' the similarity is mainly in the piano figure (a separate song fragment, 'Howling At The Moon' which eventually ended up in 'Tennessee's 1980 incarnation, 'Memories', was also included in 'Watching The Wheels' for a short period). Along with 'Tennessee', Pang also mentions in her memoir another song, 'Popcorn', for which a tape apparently exists but has not been heard. In any case, the exact date of these three surfaced versions is unknown and it's not clear if any of them come from the Lost Weekend period or not; at least take 4, however, comes from the same sitting as the demos of 'Everybody' and 'Sally And Billy' below. Unfortunately, only the take aired in episode 91-48 is available to us in unadulterated form. Only a fragment of take 1 was broadcast, and a combination of the two airings of take 4 do not yield a version free from voice-over.

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:07 AM   #69
wildewoman
Taxman

RE: Mucho Mungo - well, sources other than May from the Lost Weekend period do say there were other women. L.A. has some lovely Latinas...
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:59 PM   #70
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Yes, gorgeous demo! Just goes to show how amazing John is... Nilsson does a nice version, of course... he has a beautiful voice and all. But there's just something transcendent about John's singing. He takes a lovely melody and makes it into a little slice of heaven.

Wish I knew the story about the song. It is a bit curious, no? Maybe a lovely Latina John met in L.A.? Or, since they say he had Jesse Ed Davis in mind, could it be about his girl?
I think it could possibly be about Jesse's girl (hey! hey! did you get that pun?)...John was pretty peerless at projecting feeling in his music, and I love the words in this song as it seems the man is just mesmerized.

But I still sort of like to apply that Sean crying demo to him sort of singing to Sean. It could be SO awkward if it was really about a hot Latin lady, but I can't help it if I think he's trying to soothe his little baby to sleep.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:34 PM   #71
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
It could be SO awkward if it was really about a hot Latin lady, but I can't help it if I think he's trying to soothe his little baby to sleep.
lol ~ Two quite different scenarios, eh? I like yours... and hope it's true too!

All I want is the truth

Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:40 PM   #72
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
lol ~ Two quite different scenarios, eh? I like yours... and hope it's true too!
With John you never know. Sometimes the last thing you think about is the actual fact.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 07:48 AM   #73
hibgal
Sun King

Default Everybody

In 1974-75, after John witnessed an UFO, he wrote the song Everybody. He rediscovered his demo on Bermuda in 1980 (he'd taken a bunch of old demo tapes with him) and it became the posthumous Nobody Told Me.

Lyrics:

Everybody's talking and no one says a word
Everybody's making love and no one really cares
There is a green hill far away, just below the stairs

There's always something happening, but nothing going on
There's always something cooking, but nothing in the pot
There's a little yellow idol to the north of Katmandu

You can't tell no one nothing never, no way
You just got to let them do it their own way
Can't tell no one nothing never no way
Yeah yeah yeah
Yeah yeah yeah

Everybody's running and no one makes a move
Everyone's a winner and no one left to lose
There's a place for us in movies, but we haven't got the shoes

Everybody's smoking and no one's getting high
Everybody's flying and never see the sky
There's a UFO in the garden, and I ain't too surprised

No, you can't tell no one nothing no way, never
Just got to let them do their own way, yeah, yeah
Can't tell no one nothing, no way
No way, yeah yeah
Yeah yeah yeah

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Nov 18, 2011, 08:17 AM   #74
Apple Scruff
Sun King

^ Oh I really love that one. To be quite honest, I was slightly obsessed with "Nobody Told Me" from like 1986-1991...don't ask me why but every time I heard it I felt like I needed to jump around and sing that chorus. I still adore that song...so great to hear the genesis.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Nov 18, 2011 at 08:27 AM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 07:28 AM   #75
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Thank you hib and Maia for providing this exquisite source. I know a little more now, but my preference has always been John's version alone with his guitar. I love the sound of his voice. In the demo with Sean crying, for such a long time I thought he was singing about Sean: "sail into the ocean/sail with me..."
I love "Mucho Mungo" too, it's one of my favourite Demo I like the guitar play and John's soft voice.

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 07:38 AM   #76
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Default I Don't Wanna Sleep Alone

I think this hasn't been posted yet...

Here again, John doesn't seem to be in high spirit, but quite lonely

Still, I like this demo; any thoughts ?

Snoopy
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:03 AM   #77
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default I Don't Wanna Sleep Alone

Wow, Snoopy! I never heard this one either!!! Oh I love it. I know it's the basic chord structure/melody for "Help Me To Help Myself," which is one of my favorites of all time. However, this one is really more sad/lonely and child-like in it's lyrical presentation. I love the end part when he sings, "mama and daddy." I don't know WHAT he means. But it still sort of touche my heart...thank you so much for sharing this!!

Quote:
well I tried to call you on the phone
but your answering service keep on telling me
you left home
But I know
deep inside
you were only
trying to hide
oh yeah...

What you doing to me?
What you trying to do to me?

I don't want to sleep alone

I tried so hard to get to sleep
But the shadows on the ceiling
keep on haunting me in my dreams
But I know deep inside
they would only live inside
Oh yeah...

Oh mommy and daddy
mama, mama and daddy
Oh mommy and daddy, please, please, please
It's scary to sleep alone
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:18 AM   #78
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Wow, Snoopy! I never heard this one either!!! Oh I love it. I know it's the basic chord structure/melody for "Help Me To Help Myself," which is one of my favorites of all time. However, this one is really more sad/lonely and child-like in it's lyrical presentation. I love the end part when he sings, "mama and daddy." I don't know WHAT he means. But it still sort of touche my heart...thank you so much for sharing this!!
Oh, then I'm glad that I could make an interesting contribution in this thread

Thank's for the lyrics, Scruffie Well, I didn't know that it's the basic chord structure melody for "Help me to help myself".

Yeah, it's a bit child-like (typical John ). I found the end very touching too. Hmm, I guess, John refers to his childhood and the fact that he must have felt lonely at night, separated from his mom and dad, maybe...

Snoopy
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:47 AM   #79
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post
m, I guess, John refers to his childhood and the fact that he must have felt lonely at night, separated from his mom and dad, maybe...

Snoopy
What a brilliant observation! So basically, this shows that John's traumatic childhood followed him up until the very end...you know, those type of things scar children for the rest of their lives. Ugh, this is an awesome demo. I can't thank you enough.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:03 PM   #80
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
What a brilliant observation! So basically, this shows that John's traumatic childhood followed him up until the very end...you know, those type of things scar children for the rest of their lives. Ugh, this is an awesome demo. I can't thank you enough.
Indeed; I really believe that John's traumatic childhood followed him up until the end. Further, I think it's the reason why John tried to re-connect with his half-sister in the late 70's and also made research for his half-sister who was adopted. For all those reasons I'm certain that John would have returned to England sooner or later if he had lived longer.

Anyway, I'm glad that you enjoy this demo

Snoopy