BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:57 AM   #21
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Here's this song "Lucy" he released last year for his Lupus Foundation...it's not a favorite but it isn't bad. His voice sounds excellent.

Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:01 PM   #22
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4iiiis View Post

SORRY I had to REMOVE this fake ad I made for Julian's new album b/c someone used it on YouTube without my permission! That's a shame, b/c I thought it quite clever! I LOVE Julian's music and don't want him to think I was disrespecting him in any way. I just love a good parody now & then!
4iiiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:33 PM   #23
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Oh 4iiis! I'm so sorry you had to take your add down. It was very creative and hilarious, but I understand that you don't want Julian to get offended. He is rather sensitive. And I think maybe coming back into the business after all these years could make ANYONE more susceptible to insecurities. That was thoughtful of you.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:25 PM   #24
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
Oh 4iiis! I'm so sorry you had to take your add down. It was very creative and hilarious, but I understand that you don't want Julian to get offended. He is rather sensitive. And I think maybe coming back into the business after all these years could make ANYONE more susceptible to insecurities. That was thoughtful of you.
I asked the person who posted the video to please take down that picture since it was a PARODY. This is the response I got back (I hope for goodness sakes this person isn't a BL member!)

Quote:
Well BlueRidgeParkway,you are right but I get this image in the grid and everyone in all whole world can copy and used it as want it .(that `s no mean is correct right?)
WITH ALL DUE RESPECT i think that you too hasn`t rigth upon Julian Lennon `s images.
I dont `t wanna fight but if you want it I will, I erase this image, please copy me what are you think.
yeah...I can't really understand it EITHER! sheeesh! i told him he could go Google Julian's name and get just the picture I used for that fake ad. I guess that's the last time I post any original artwork on this board!
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:36 PM   #25
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Don't get upset 4iiiis, think of it as a compliment in a sense. I think the person probably didn't even know it WASN'T the real Julian album cover. So that is how good you are.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:39 PM   #26
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Don't get upset 4iiiis, think of it as a compliment in a sense. I think the person probably didn't even know it WASN'T the real Julian album cover. So that is how good you are.
Ok..well since you put it THAT way...
yes I tried my best to make it look LEGIT. I guess I did TOO good of a job, huh? Like I said though, I really don't want to offend Julian in any way. I would hate it if my parody got strewn around the web and all over Google Images
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:52 PM   #27
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Well, I doubt it will do him any harm in the end. Julian needs much more promotion than he's doing at the moment. Good gawd man, your album drops in a month and where is the music video??? Some new interviews?? Some COLORED pics?? Am I asking for too much??

Probably. I just want the music!! But I don't think you did anything wrong...
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:00 AM   #28
hibgal
Sun King

Default Moved from Want to pre-order Julian's new album? (Yeah, you know you do come on!)

Since this hasn't anything to do with Julian's new album I decided to move my reply to this thread (except your smileys fell off in the copying, Scruffie, sorry). Sneaky huh?

Quote:
I wonder if perhaps you can find a used copy on Amazon UK.

Oh and I will definitely post all the updates I can, and I'm sure Peregrine will before I even attempt to lol, so you have a chance to hear any snippets if they should come out. I'm always falling in love with his voice...

Hibgal, you will LOVE PS! I also want a review once you get it. If you find that you can't get it anywhere PM me.
Thanks for the kind offer, Scruffie. I just downloaded a copy of Photograph Smile but haven't had time to listen to it yet. I did go to Amazon and found used CDs of the album so I might buy a copy as well since I do prefer having the CD (although a little slower to arrive than a download!) what with liner notes and all.

However, I found that there are two exclusive bonus tracks on the wildly expensive Japanese edition: Don't Let Me Down and I Need You. At first I was incredulous - Julian doing a cover of a Beatles song - but it's actually a different song penned by Julian. (I Need You is however a cover but of the group America's song of the same name) So now I'm curious. Have any of you heard Julian's Don't Let Me Down song and what do you think of it? Anyone has a copy to share? I checked Youtube but nada.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:24 AM   #29
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
Since this hasn't anything to do with Julian's new album I decided to move my reply to this thread (except your smileys fell off in the copying, Scruffie, sorry). Sneaky huh?

Thanks for the kind offer, Scruffie. I just downloaded a copy of Photograph Smile but haven't had time to listen to it yet. I did go to Amazon and found used CDs of the album so I might buy a copy as well since I do prefer having the CD (although a little slower to arrive than a download!) what with liner notes and all.

However, I found that there are two exclusive bonus tracks on the wildly expensive Japanese edition: Don't Let Me Down and I Need You. At first I was incredulous - Julian doing a cover of a Beatles song - but it's actually a different song penned by Julian. (I Need You is however a cover but of the group America's song of the same name) So now I'm curious. Have any of you heard Julian's Don't Let Me Down song and what do you think of it? Anyone has a copy to share? I checked Youtube but nada.
I do have a copy of it!! I'll try and post that mp3 on here...in fact, I think this is a great thread for that type of stuff.

Also, there's a LOT of Julian songs that reference John/Beatles. I'm always seeing/hearing it. Let me check for that song...I have I believe two different copies of PS so give me a little time.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:34 PM   #30
hibgal
Sun King

That would be great, Scruffie! I look forward to hearing it.

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Aug 20, 2011, 03:58 AM   #31
hibgal
Sun King

Default Photograph Smile

Just wanted to say, I've listened to Photograph Smile now and first impression is good! Reminds me somehow of Per Gessle's solo work, even their voices have tonal similarities. Particularly Day After Day and I Don't Wanna Know sounds like something Per could've written and recorded. Do love the chorus of Day After Day.

Not yet ready for a track by track analysis by any means, need a few more listens for that. The only song that totally left me cold is Crusified. Mainly it's the falsetto singing that doesn't appeal although the melody and arrangement don't do that much for me either. It's not an awful song and sung in his normal voice I could perhaps learn to enjoy it but...

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Aug 31, 2011, 07:44 AM   #32
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Check out this super-dated video from the 80's (of course). Julian honey, what the H did you do to your hair here? In any case, I enjoy this song...

Old Aug 31, 2011, 01:46 PM   #33
Fly
Dr. Robert

That video is atrocious. Julian was not cute with that hair. Also, where is his new video for his new single? I thought that's what people did these days but it appears no one really cares. The digital world has taken over everything, but Julian should take advantage of the digital media and post some random new videos. There is no shame in promoting yourself, particularly when you have been working on this album for over a decade.

Plus I want to see his hot self singing a love ballad to the camera.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:46 PM   #34
darkhorse23
Dr. Robert

Default Lucy--Live

www.americanpatrol.com[/color]
darkhorse23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2011, 07:19 PM   #35
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Thanks for sharing this darkhorse! I think it's pretty great live. Man, Julian looks very sharp here! I can't wait to hear his new album!!!

End of September people!!! It's coming soon!!! Hopefully new stuff is coming soon and I know Peregrine will be on it all...
Old Sep 02, 2011, 10:24 PM   #36
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Posting the single cover here as well!!
Old Sep 04, 2011, 11:54 AM   #37
hibgal
Sun King

A little update on this:

After making do with a download of a vinyl rip, I finally got my own CD copy of Photograph Smile Friday but the chord to my headphones went bust so I haven't listened to it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
It turns out that the single from Photograph Smile, Day After Day, has Julian's Don't Let Me Down on it so I've ordered a copy. With the usual distance to UK I guess it will arrive sometime in the middle of this month.

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Sep 06, 2011, 07:17 AM   #38
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Snoopy,

Yes, I agree with you. I think Julian's voice sounds a little weaker on this single than it did on Photograph Smile. I believe it may be because he hasn't been in the studio for 13 years and was probably still getting into the groove. I love his voice! I hear the John in his slightly nasally intonation, but John's voice was other-worldly OK people? Um, that deserve a thread in and of itself.

I will say that I feel his new album is going to be great. This song is very pretty and well-written and it gives me high hopes for the rest. Can not wait!!!
Hi Scruffie

I almost missed this one, sorry... Aargh, my internet-connection at home doesn't work since Sunday morning, so I only can write from the office....

Anyway, I'm glad that I could find through the french Amazon the older CD's I wanted to order from Julian, so I also can compare with Sean's music.

Yes, of course, John's voice was special, no question... Still I think that Julian's voice sounds a bit like his father. I'm looking to his new album too

Who do you think writes the better lyrics, Julian or Sean ? Sean seems to be pretty talented, as far as I can judge from "Friendly Fire"...

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2011, 08:01 AM   #39
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post

Who do you think writes the better lyrics, Julian or Sean ? Sean seems to be pretty talented, as far as I can judge from "Friendly Fire"...

Snoopy
That is a great question! I'm going to be completely honest and say both. I know a lot of people may think I am being uber-diplomatic all the time with regards Jules & Sean's music and I get that, but I really, honestly feel they are both so talented. On Photograph Smile, Julian had a lot of really beautiful lyrics on songs like "Day After Day," "Walls," "I Should Have Known," and, well, basically all the songs. He has a more serious sound. I hate to say it but it is a little more Adult Contemporary, but nothing wrong with that. He has a beautiful voice and he writes pretty songs. I appreciate that. Is he a rocker? Not too much quite frankly, but so what?

Sean writes in a very poetic way. Like his lyrics for "Parachute" read so beautifully on paper. And he has a amazing grasp of analogies and idioms, but he's very expressive emotionally with his words. For example, his lyrics on "Heart and Lung" aren't complex, but they fit the music and the purpose of the song so perfectly. On Friendly Fire, Sean is very wrapped in emotion but he never allows himself to get mawkish. I adore that about him. Everything fits, like the way his heart yearns for the girl but then he realizes she's not worth it on the song "On Again, Off Again."

I believe both men have really beautiful lyrics, but Sean's on Friendly Fire always stick with me. I can't get the words out of my head if I listen to the album once- the words or the music. It's like a perfect marriage, and then there's Sean's GOASTT stuff which has the most outrageously fantastic lyrics. They're crazy and sublime at the same time. I don't know...

John had himself a couple of pretty awesome sons.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Sep 06, 2011 at 08:02 AM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2011, 06:42 PM   #40
hibgal
Sun King

Default Photograph Smile review

Since you asked, Scruffie...

Here's my review of Photograph Smile, almost track by track.

There are some pleasant ballads (I Should Have Known, Believe, Faithful) on the album that are nice to listen to but rather forgettable and those I've not reviewed separately as to me they glide one into the other. Here are the songs that could do with further comments.

Day After Day sticks in the mind like glue! Particularly the chorus is insidiously catchy. Can't help singing along too. No surprise this is the single off the album as it has hit potential written all over it.

Cold is one of my favorite songs on the album, in strong competition with Walls. I like the picture painting lyrics, the melody, the lovely guitar solo, the arrangement, well, everything.

How Many Times - I don't mind songs about the environment yet this one leaves me a bit cold. Funny with the Layla line in the chorus "I beg you please!"

I Don't Wanna Know - More than a direct Beatles rip, this one reminds me so much of Per Gessle (Roxette) doing a Beatles inspired number; in the voice, the lyrics, the music, all of it. Per is Sweden's answer to Paul in writing gazillion pop tunes and also a huge huge Beatles fan!

Crucified doesn't matter how many times I listen to, I just can't like it.

Walls is another favorite track. Music light as a summer's breeze counterpointed by deeply emotional lyrics. Julian's voice is so filled of feeling here, the piano playing sensitive.

Good To Be Lonely - The simple acoustic guitar arrangement works very well here. I like the contemplative mood and the acceptance in the lyrics. A mature song by a man who's at peace with himself.

Kiss Beyond The Catcher is so different from everything else that I don't quite know what to make of it. It breaks the sort of dreamy mood of the album, I find although by no means a bad song.

And She Cries reminds me of George Harrison, slide guitar an all.

Photograph Smile - Somehow this song has a French touch to it, maybe it's the swaying rhythm. It evokes in me a similar feeling as a-ha's Manhattan Skyline (clip below), another song of leaving a love behind on another continent and all you have is memories. Some echoes in the lyrics as well.

Way To Your Heart is another nice ballad but I don't much like the arrangement with the ticking clocks and the fake vinyl clicks.

Yep, Julian got me!

It always happens when
Who don't pretend