BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:25 PM   #61
wallrus59
Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
I think I read something along the lines of further collaboration. I love the Cheap Trick version of "I'm Losing You." That song is amazing.
it's heavier than the one on df, rick of cheap trick said he was so disappionted they put the one w/ the studio musicians.

had heard and don't think it's true , that yoko did not want him to work w/ them because they would overshadow john...if true don't know what she was thinking.

cheap trick is a good band ( still are playing ) , but i don't see them taking top billing over john...sure they probably idolized john...just listen to the end of ain't that a shame, john's then cheap trick's.

well i heard this or read it somewhere...who knows??

gk.

wallrus59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:33 PM   #62
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallrus59 View Post
it's heavier than the one on df, rick of cheap trick said he was so disappionted they put the one w/ the studio musicians.

had heard and don't think it's true , that yoko did not want him to work w/ them because they would overshadow john...if true don't know what she was thinking.

cheap trick is a good band ( still are playing ) , but i don't see them taking top billing over john...sure they probably idolized john...just listen to the end of ain't that a shame, john's then cheap trick's.

well i heard this or read it somewhere...who knows??

gk.
I agree. Cheap Trick isn't quite on John's par. By a long shot.

It probably was true, Wallrus. I love Yoko but she was a tad loopy at times. The whole tarot card/astrological stuff creeps me out. She was WAY into that and she hired people, like photographers and session musicians, based on their signs and compatibility with her and John.

I mean, uh, that's strange. I'm sure it was a phase and she wasn't the only one who did it at the time (Nancy Reagan was big into that stuff as well), but come on! It's just weird.

Yoko, I still think you're cool though lady. Just can't accept or agree with all that you have done is all.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Jun 21, 2011 at 09:34 PM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:40 PM   #63
wallrus59
Bulldog

she should have been looking for one sign..."Recording in progress" or whatever the recording studio's sign says and pushed all those guys in to see what happened.

gk.

Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:00 PM   #64
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
I don't think the real story has been verified. I could be wrong, but I think the "Yoko hated them" meme was mostly innuendo stemming from the Goldman "book"... In any case, remember how hot Cheap Trick were at the time? John and Yoko had no idea how they would be received by the public after 5 years away and they were pretty insecure at the time... it would be somewhat understandable for Yoko to be suspicious. (Not correct, mind you, but somewhat understandable...)

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:08 PM   #65
wallrus59
Bulldog

it probably would have had to have some strings pulled to make an lp happen anyway....two different labels and geffen's was so new, though he was not.

gk.

Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:24 PM   #66
Maia 66
Sun King

Too bad, though... I love that version with Cheap Trick. Would've loved to hear how they'd do Starting Over!

All I want is the truth

Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:14 PM   #67
Maia 66
Sun King

New topic ~ Okay, so something just occurred to me. I'm sure it won't surprise you to know that I love to psychoanalyze people ... and I had these thoughts about John.

You know how he was so into early rock & roll? Not just as an influence; I mean kinda like a compulsion... He used to make comments such as "I love loud guitars and jangly pianos" or "I'm really a rock & roller at heart." And he made those comments often. I mean, it was a bit strange that he didn't really keep up with what was going on in the music scene during the mid/late '70s when sooooo many cool things were happening... he preferred his '50s/early '60s r&r.

Do you think maybe he was kind of obsessed about it because it was his way to stay connected to Julia? Because she was the one that got him into rock & roll and she was such a fan herself? (And if we want to get Oedipal, I'll point out the scene in Nowhere Boy when Julia tells him that "rock and roll" means sex. )

And also, there's a theory that suggests that people who suffer a trauma at a young age often become stuck emotionally at that age. Well, John was 17 when Julia died... and rock & roll was happening. And, for the rest of his life, John really self-identified as a sort of 17 year-old rock & roller...

Hmmmm...

All I want is the truth

Last edited by Maia 66 : Jun 23, 2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:31 PM   #68
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Very interesting observation Maia. Wow, let me think about it...

Ok, so John became a fan of early rock and roll around the same time he started to connect with his mother. For someone who was outwardly very macho and cool, it's very easy that he would shed any other notable signs of sentimentality for his mother and use the 'I'm all about early rock n roll' front to cover his real feelings: that that music was his only means of connection to his dead mother. He really adored her, and yet he never had that mother-son relationship he ached for.

The theory that you mentioned of a young person suffering a traumatic experience that they keep with them forever is true. Many young people can even develop Bipolar as a result of a traumatic incident, and I personally know someone who this happened to. I *sometimes* feel that John may have had some inkling towards that condition. I am not trying to throw out labels, but from interviews that I read from people like Cilla Black, Alistair Taylor, May Pang and they all mention that he was generally a very nice person, even kind of quiet and shy. Even Cynthia said that John was quite domestic, hated altercations, and was sort of quiet. Yet he could also be the complete opposite and sort of lose it at times...

I wonder if this is somewhat of an indication of the "up and down" symptom of that condition. Perhaps that, in part, was why John found a solace in drugs at some points. Self-medicating. But it could just be my over-analyzing mind getting the better of me.

Maia, back to your original thought! Listen to this interview with Sean Lennon and tell me this doesn't echo your feelings of John and Julia...eerie. I think you could be right!

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Jun 23, 2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:59 PM   #69
Maia 66
Sun King

^ Okay, first of all that video is so touching... THANK YOU for posting it! And I think you're right. It does make my point.

Quote:
For someone who was outwardly very macho and cool, it's very easy that he would shed any other notable signs of sentimentality for his mother and use the 'I'm all about early rock n roll' front to cover his real feelings: that that music was his only means of connection to his dead mother. He really adored her, and yet he never had that mother-son relationship he ached for.
Great observation! When John was young he was never encouraged to talk about his feelings, so he had to hide them behind all sorts of fronts...

All I want is the truth

Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:05 PM   #70
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post

Great observation! When John was young he was never encouraged to talk about his feelings, so he had to hide them behind all sorts of fronts...
Exactly. And it's the music where all of him comes out. It amazes me that John, who is often labeled the cynical, hard, caustic man was so sensitive and beautiful in those songs...that's really why his music always touched me the most.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:14 PM   #71
wallrus59
Bulldog

geez, sean is so articulate...only an occasional, you know.

not a bunch of stammering, aahhhs, oks, as a lot of the younger generation does.

though i really think he is older than i am thinking.

i will have to just kinda of follow along on this random thought.

gk.

Last edited by wallrus59 : Jun 23, 2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: sp
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:17 PM   #72
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
It amazes me that John, who is often labeled the cynical, hard, caustic man was so sensitive and beautiful in those songs...that's really why his music always touched me the most.
Oh, absolutely... me too! There's a passion and a deep sensitivity that brings a realness to his music. Because John could be so hard, when he was soft it so much more vulnerable and beautiful.

And I agree with you on the bipolar thing.

All I want is the truth

Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:20 PM   #73
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
geez, sean is so articulate...only an occasional, you know.

not a bunch of stammering, aahhhs, oks, as a lot of the younger generation does.

though i really think he is older than i am thinking.

i will have to just kinda of follow along on this random thought.

gk.
Keep on following it!

Yes, Sean is SO articulate. And perceptive. Takes after his daddy, that's for sure.

All I want is the truth

Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:26 PM   #74
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Sean is extremely articulate and well-spoken and a wonderful writer. His intro on the Lennon Signature Box was my favorite. I'm sorry, it just broke my heart...I quite loved Julian's as well, but Sean just hit the nail right on the spot.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:06 PM   #75
Maia 66
Sun King

Ok, this is not about John, but it IS John-related. Have you heard about the statue they want to erect for Chuck Berry in St. Louis, but that some people are protesting it because he was once (or twice) in jail? Here's the tet of the article I read:
-----------------
UNIVERSITY CITY, Mo. -- The rock legend known for such hits as "Johnny B. Goode" will be getting a statue in suburban St. Louis, but not everyone thinks that's so great.

University City's City Council on Monday night refused to block installation of an 8-foot bronze sculpture by artist Harry Weber honoring 84-year-old Chuck Berry.

Entrepreneur Joe Edwards and KMOX radio host Charles Brennan have led a fundraising driving for the statue across from Edwards' Blueberry Hill, where Berry has performed some 160 times.

Edwards figures the statute will be a tourism draw. But critics have questioned whether it should be placed on city-owned land, and the fact that Berry spent time in jail.

Edwards says the sculpture is to be installed Thursday or Friday, with a formal dedication scheduled for July 29.

All I want is the truth

Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:16 PM   #76
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Ok, this is not about John, but it IS John-related. Have you heard about the statue they want to erect for Chuck Berry in St. Louis, but that some people are protesting it because he was once (or twice) in jail? Here's the tet of the article I read:
-----------------
UNIVERSITY CITY, Mo. -- The rock legend known for such hits as "Johnny B. Goode" will be getting a statue in suburban St. Louis, but not everyone thinks that's so great.

University City's City Council on Monday night refused to block installation of an 8-foot bronze sculpture by artist Harry Weber honoring 84-year-old Chuck Berry.

Entrepreneur Joe Edwards and KMOX radio host Charles Brennan have led a fundraising driving for the statue across from Edwards' Blueberry Hill, where Berry has performed some 160 times.

Edwards figures the statute will be a tourism draw. But critics have questioned whether it should be placed on city-owned land, and the fact that Berry spent time in jail.

Edwards says the sculpture is to be installed Thursday or Friday, with a formal dedication scheduled for July 29.
Ridiculous. Chuck Berry deserves thousands of statues all over the world for what he did for Rock and Roll. He may have been jailed, but let's get off the self-righteous, holier than thou soapbox for a second people and recognize this man's musical impact. It's massive. Everyone from the Beatles, Dylan, the Beach Boys the Stones, Stevie Wonder, even Michael Jackson owes some debt to this man. And especially Elvis Presley, who is often unfairly credited with being the "creator" of rock and roll. Uh...no. Chuck had ingenious music, awesome riffs and beats, a great singing voice, and lyrics that always told a story- and the stories were always great. I adore his music. I don't care if he was jailed or anything about his insidious personal life. Give the man his dues because he earned them FOR HIS MUSIC and how.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Jun 28, 2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:38 PM   #77
Maia 66
Sun King

^ Very well said!

Sometimes I think Chuck suffered because he was always very upfront with his legal troubles, while other people were just more hypocritical (I'm looking at YOU, Elvis...). Chuck's songwriting and style was one of the very bases of all the rock music that came after it... he deserves a statue AND MORE!

All I want is the truth

Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:44 PM   #78
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
^ Very well said!

Sometimes I think Chuck suffered because he was always very upfront with his legal troubles, while other people were just more hypocritical (I'm looking at YOU, Elvis...). Chuck's songwriting and style was one of the very bases of all the rock music that came after it... he deserves a statue AND MORE!
I have loved him practically my entire life (thank you daddy!) and I watched Hail! Hail! Rock and Roll and became a stan for life. His ornery personality aside, Chuck is the King in my eyes. I apologize to all Elvis enthusiasts...I liked him, I did. But Chuck not only had the whole package- remember, he WROTE his songs- but he was inspirational to so many people...I think Bob Dylan said it best in his recent "Rolling Stone" interview:

Quote:
"Chuck said to me, 'By God, I hope you live to be 100, and I hope I live forever,'" Dylan says with a laugh. "He said that to me a couple of years ago. In my universe, Chuck is irreplaceable... All that brilliance is still there, and he's still a force of nature. As long as Chuck Berry's around, everything 's as it should be. This is a man who has been through it all. The world treated him so nasty. But in the end, it was the world that got beat."
and a little more from the same interview:
Quote:
When I ask Dylan if he'd ever thought of collaborating on a project with Berry, he laughs. "Chuck Berry?" he says. "The thought is preposterous. Chuck doesn't need anybody to do anything with or for him. You got to say that at this point in history he's probably the man. His presence is everywhere, but you never know it. I love Little Richard, but I don't think he performs as much as Chuck. And he's certainly not as spontaneous as Chuck. Chuck can perform at the drop of a hat. Well, Little Richard, he can too, actually, but he doesn't."

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Jun 28, 2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:48 PM   #79
Apple Scruff
Sun King

I need to find that video of John praising Chuck to the heavens and proclaiming his greatness to the world, but I couldn't and found this instead:

^Even though they probably didn't rehearse I LOVE THIS.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 05:07 PM   #80
Maia 66
Sun King

Smile

Here is a really lovely fan story about meeting John and Yoko.

http://meetthebeatlesforreal.blogspo...with-john.html

This part is especially sweet, imo: "I couldn’t help noticing that when John was alone he seemed a little nervous-he walked at a fast clip – but when he was with Yoko he was patient, calm and reassured. I loved to watch them walking down 72nd Street together. They always held hands."

All I want is the truth