BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:35 AM   #21
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4iiiis View Post
I know Sean is a multi-instrumentalist, but just how many different instruments is he proficient on? He was playing Bass in those Ciba Matto videos, really shredding it! I admire musicians that are like a self-contained band, and can even produce & engineer & record as well...not many are that versatile, but it sounds like Sean is!
Wow...uh, every instrument you can imagine. He once said that he and Charlotte try to incorporate so many different sound on their album so they try to learn all the instruments. Charlotte is pretty good, Sean is great. I can actually find a run-down of all the instruments he has played on his albums as well as his work with Yoko

Oh! Check out this video of the song "The Sun Is Down." This album, Between My Head And The Sky is INCREDIBLE!!!! One of the best albums to come out in 2009, and it's by Yoko (produced by Sean). I love this and Lady Gaga and Yoko have so much fun with it.

http://youtu.be/tDDsm_xOQCk

Here is the original:

http://youtu.be/AzID986fOfA
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:37 AM   #22
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Check out this GOASTT cover of the cult classic "Comic Strip" by Serge Gainsbourg and Brigitte Bardot. Sean doesn't take himself too seriously!

http://youtu.be/3eCT4FH9HFc
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:22 PM   #23
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Default Sean Lennon's GOASTT with The Flaming Lips

Woah...I just found out Sean will be playing with the Flaming Lips in Nelsonville, Ohio--and I snagged a couple tx right away! I can't believe that Sean, who I've wanted to see live for years, will be with mynewfavband@themoment The Flaming Lips Oh btw, check out this intro Sean gave for The Lips:
http://www.mtvhive.com/artist/lennon...e_flaming_lips

Can't wait...it's going to be a FANtastic show!
4iiiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 04:14 PM   #24
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
Wow...uh, every instrument you can imagine. He once said that he and Charlotte try to incorporate so many different sound on their album so they try to learn all the instruments. Charlotte is pretty good, Sean is great. I can actually find a run-down of all the instruments he has played on his albums as well as his work with Yoko

Oh! Check out this video of the song "The Sun Is Down." This album, Between My Head And The Sky is INCREDIBLE!!!! One of the best albums to come out in 2009, and it's by Yoko (produced by Sean). I love this and Lady Gaga and Yoko have so much fun with it.

http://youtu.be/tDDsm_xOQCk

Here is the original:

http://youtu.be/AzID986fOfA
Hmmm...that was very interesting! It looks like Lady Gaga has fun, but listening to the original, I thought it was wayyyy better. imho that is
Thanks for posting those!
Old Apr 26, 2011, 04:25 PM   #25
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
I believe Sean and Yuka were a couple for about 3 years, from 1996 to about 1999. She is the one who sings with him on the song "Into The Sun." Yeah, she was about 15 years older than him...lol! I don't really know anything about their relationship. I think they began as in a creative partnership, shifted to romantic, and then went back to creative. They're still great friends and work together often. In 2007, she produced the collaborative album by Irina Lazareanu and Sean, and has sometimes appeared as a member of the GOASTT on some appearances.

Yuka is married to Nels Cline of Wilco. Sean, I believe, introduced them. :)

I'm going to send you some more stuff. What'd you think of what you got so far?
Thanks! I really like "Into The Sun"....but it sounds like both girls from Cibo Matto are singing on it? The other thing I really dig is "Photosynthesis", that track rawks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHrDg...eature=related
Sounds like Miles Davis all hopped up or something! Very cool....
Love hearing new stuff!

PS....the other one I just remembered was this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GJBO1niH54

a very happy song :)

Last edited by 4iiiis : Apr 26, 2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: lack of coherent brain structure causes many revisions
Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:46 PM   #26
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Woah...I just found out Sean will be playing with the Flaming Lips in Nelsonville, Ohio--and I snagged a couple tx right away! I can't believe that Sean, who I've wanted to see live for years, will be with mynewfavband@themoment The Flaming Lips Oh btw, check out this intro Sean gave for The Lips:
http://www.mtvhive.com/artist/lennon...e_flaming_lips

Can't wait...it's going to be a FANtastic show!
Awesome!!!!! My husband and I are going as well. I love the Flaming Lips (Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots is my love). I think I heard Sean and Wayne are fans of one another as well as friends, so this pairing makes sense. It's going to be FANTASTIC. The GOASTT has never received a poor review for any of their shows. I think they may do their electric set for this show, which is a 180 to what I saw in January but equally as flawless (check out youtube).

*Sigh* Sean's prolificness is good for me in so many way.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Apr 26, 2011 at 06:47 PM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:49 PM   #27
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
I love him...I'm telling all my friends to get tickets to this show. Finally living in Ohio comes with some bonuses.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 06:59 PM   #28
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Thanks! I really like "Into The Sun"....but it sounds like both girls from Cibo Matto are singing on it? The other thing I really dig is "Photosynthesis", that track rawks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHrDg...eature=related
Sounds like Miles Davis all hopped up or something! Very cool....
Love hearing new stuff!

PS....the other one I just remembered was this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GJBO1niH54

a very happy song :)
I love both of these. I'm pretty sure Sean plays almost all the instruments on these tracks. The first one has his tone/feel that is really recognizable- you know when you're listening to Sean Lennon's music.

The second song is an OLD favorite of mine. I know for the most part Sean has a melancholy theme in his songs, but this one is really quite positive and really has a good message behind it.

HAPPINESS (Sean Lennon)

Have you ever felt before
That everyone around you knows the deal
Except you
And it makes you feel
Like a moray eel
Green and blue

But listen up because
I know just how it feels to want more than you have
In life

Have you ever felt uncool
On the way to school, you drag your feet around.
Sometimes you act like a fool
Just to get her to look over at you

But listen up because i know just how it feels
To be the only one without a clue
Happiness is when you're not stressed
Though you messed up many things
And all the rest
You can forget 'cause its not worth suffering

Maybe i'm not all that you expect me to be
But one day
I'll show you all i can be

My favorite line is the last one, "Maybe I'm not all that you expect me to be/But one day I'll show you all I can be..."

It's true. A lot of people write Sean off because of his lineage, and moreso because of who his mom is. It's extremely disheartening as a Sean fan because he's genuinely gifted. I don't understand why people sort of expect Sean to be this or that and then feel like he doesn't live up to your expectations.

His dad was the greatest songwriter in pop/rock in my opinion. John's music brings out every emotion and every kind of imagery that no other musical artist can compare with, in my book, and I'm a HUGE music fan. It's hard to live up to that, and the fact that his mother is Yoko Ono. Whether loved or hated, Yoko's art is absolutely original.

So Sean has all that looming over him, as well as the sadness of losing his father at such a young age. I think he turned out amazingly normal and his own art is speaking for itself- for those who care to listen. :)

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Apr 26, 2011 at 07:00 PM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2011, 07:33 PM   #29
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Here's another great Sean video I just found!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tpVz0pI4hQ

Its Sean showing up at this huge gig to help his friend, Mark Ronson play "Sail On Sailor". Watch how cooly Sean strolls up, sits down and starts playing the piano and singing the song, with a HUGE orchestra/band behind himů.he plays the song as relaxed as if he were in his living room. He finishes the song and strolls off like it was all no big deal---he's just too cool I think Sean probably picked the song-he adores Brian Wilson
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:25 PM   #30
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

I was trying to find the video that I remember seeing years ago, where Sean goes out to meet and 'interview' Brian Wilson. I was really into Brian at the time, and I thought Sean was so respectful and genuinely interested, he got Brian to come out of his shell. I'm not sure if it was on a video or if I saw it on VH-1 or something, but I can't find any clips of it. Does anyone remember this?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:53 PM   #31
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Check out this GOASTT cover of the cult classic "Comic Strip" by Serge Gainsbourg and Brigitte Bardot. Sean doesn't take himself too seriously!

http://youtu.be/3eCT4FH9HFc
Wow....that was one of the most bizarre things I've seen! I can see why they are fans of The Flaming Lips--I'm sure those guys love this stuff! My favorite parts are when Charlotte does her four-word little dance 'zip-pow-pop-whiz!' ummm, I know that's not what she's really saying, but it's cute ;-)
Old Apr 28, 2011, 07:57 PM   #32
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Now this is a what one might call 'adorable', 'nostalgic' or something along those lines: John Lennon holding Sean, wearing a shirt that Sean would, in the future, wear himself.

Old Apr 28, 2011, 08:23 PM   #33
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Now this is a what one might call 'adorable', 'nostalgic' or something along those lines: John Lennon holding Sean, wearing a shirt that Sean would, in the future, wear himself.

Oh my. That is the same shirt! I think it's super sweet. I imagine for any child to lose their precious father at age 5- a father who basically spent more time with you than any one else up until that tragic day- there would be a void in your life that nothing could ever fill.

Sean probably has ways to keep his father alive in his heart always...same as Julian.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 08:26 PM   #34
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Here's another great Sean video I just found!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tpVz0pI4hQ

Its Sean showing up at this huge gig to help his friend, Mark Ronson play "Sail On Sailor". Watch how cooly Sean strolls up, sits down and starts playing the piano and singing the song, with a HUGE orchestra/band behind himů.he plays the song as relaxed as if he were in his living room. He finishes the song and strolls off like it was all no big deal---he's just too cool I think Sean probably picked the song-he adores Brian Wilson
I have tremendous admiration for Brian Wilson, and this performance is one of my all-time favorite renditions of a Brian song- ever. Sean and Mark are magic together. I want more collaborations from these two. (BTW: both dudes have absolutely awesome significant others. I dig Josephine de la Baume for some odd reason. She's the embodiment of classic French beauty and New York hipster cool.)
Old Apr 28, 2011, 08:29 PM   #35
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default some Sean pics

Thought I'd post these for fun.

Old Apr 28, 2011, 09:21 PM   #36
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Hmmmm...I really like those px you posted! Thou it seems Charlotte gets Sean into some provocative poses
Here's an interesting post from Sean's board (I lurk but rarely post ;-) . I thought this was very insightful and revealing about Sean & Julian's relationship, and how close they really are. And I didn't know Julian stayed with Sean & Yoko during when he came out with "Valoette", that's pretty cool! Please let me know what you think of this:
Old Apr 28, 2011, 09:33 PM   #37
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Hmmmm...I really like those px you posted! Thou it seems Charlotte gets Sean into some provocative poses
Here's an interesting post from Sean's board (I lurk but rarely post ;-) . I thought this was very insightful and revealing about Sean & Julian's relationship, and how close they really are. And I didn't know Julian stayed with Sean & Yoko during when he came out with "Valoette", that's pretty cool! Please let me know what you think of this:
Wow!! Was that Sean who posted this? I know he posts on his board under his own name but was this one of them? My gosh...I'm really very happy to read this. I always feel there is too much negativity directed at the Lennon family's private business, and a lot of it is mere speculation. Thanks for sharing this. How on earth can I find Sean posts? I want to read some more now.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 08:46 AM   #38
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

One thing I would be interested in is what Sean fans consider their Top 10 Sean songs. For myself, I'd pick these, all from "Into The Sun" :

1. "Mystery Juice"
2. "Into the Sun"
3. "Home"
4. "Bathtub" (S. Lennon, Yuka Honda)
5. "One Night"
6. "Spaceship" (S. Lennon, Timo Ellis)
7. "Photosynthesis"
8. "Queue" (S. Lennon, Y. Honda)
9. "Two Fine Lovers"
10. "Part One of the Cowboy Trilogy"
11. "Wasted"
12. "Breeze"
13. "Sean's Theme"

Ok, so I can't count ;-) but surely I'm missing alot here. Thoughts, anyone?
Old Apr 29, 2011, 04:52 PM   #39
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Sean, apparently getting ready to try out for "Survivor"

Old Apr 29, 2011, 04:58 PM   #40
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Do you think James McCartney is trying to copy Sean here? James looking 'into the sun', calling it "Available Light", looking the same direction... What gives?