BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > New Products > Rock Band

Old Jan 17, 2010, 03:40 AM   #1
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy
Default Beatles Video Game - Sales Not So Fab

Beatles Video Game: Sales Not So Fab

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/16/ar...TSOFA_BRF.html

Here’s some news the Beatles were never used to hearing: they aren’t selling very well. According to a new report released by a market research company that tracks the video game industry, the heavily promoted (and widely lauded) game the Beatles: Rock Band has not performed as well as other popular music games, and the genre as a whole appears to be declining. The report, released on Thursday by NPD Group, said that over all the gaming industry had its best month ever in December, with more than $5.5 billion in sales of software, consoles and other hardware, and that the popular first-person shooter Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 had become the fourth-best-selling game of all time. But for games that involve the use of plastic guitars instead of guns, the picture wasn’t as rosy. The Beatles: Rock Band, which allows players to tap buttons along to the music of the Fab Four, has sold 1.18 million copies in the United States and 1.7 million copies worldwide since its release in September. By comparison, the music game Rock Band 2 sold 1.7 million copies in its first four months of release in 2008, and Guitar Hero: World Tour sold 3.4 million copies in that time. Guitar Hero 5, a franchise sequel released in September, has sold 996,000 copies.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 07:09 AM   #2
Maia 66
Sun King

Almost 3 million copies worldwide in 4 months... sounds pretty fab to me!
Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:09 AM   #3
bobdude
Dr. Robert

I agree with you Maia. I think most bands would be happy to sell 3 million of their music disc. Let alone video game discs. I don't see how 3 million copies equates failure. Maybe if it was only 3,000...........
Old Jan 31, 2010, 02:51 PM   #5
katdaddy
Fool On The Hill

Default Fab 2 Rock Band

I love the game! I've never played a video game in my life and now I'm jamming down with my two teenagers playing rock band. The one problem I experienced with the game and this was probably a reason why sales were not as they should have been, was that the ultra deluxe limited edition did not give you the complete set. Yes, it came with Paul's Hofner and a Ringo drum set, but you have to buy George and John's guitar separately at about a hundred bucks a pop, that is if you can even find them for your system. Those should have been included in the limited edition box, which in reality was only half the band.

Kat
katdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 04:17 PM   #6
Reverend Rock
Wild Honey Pie

I'm not really surprised at this news. When I looked at some of the Beatles Rock Band stuff on YouTube, I thought it was truly boring stuff as far as the video-game aspect goes.

I've seen kids playing Guitar Hero and it's all the difference in the world.

Anyway, I wouldn't give a plug nickel for any music video game, being a musician myself. I think they actually rob young people of the incentive to explore their own musical creativity. And when I actually tried to play Guitar Hero, I was disgusted with it. It was obviously created by people who don't have a clue how the instruments should actually be played.

"There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be."
Reverend Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 05:01 PM   #7
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post

The Beatles: Rock Band.......has sold 1.18 million copies in the United States and 1.7 million copies worldwide since its release in September.

Rock Band 2 sold 1.7 million copies in its first four months of release in 2008

Guitar Hero: World Tour sold 3.4 million copies in that time

Guitar Hero 5 has sold 996,000 copies.
So is it 1.18 plus 1.7? Or is the 1.18 included in the worldwide figure?

It seems to be doing pretty well within the genre, especially if it's at 2.88 million!

I think it's super fun. It's not true to guitar playing, but I think it gives a feel for it. You get a basic feel for timing especially. The technology is pretty dang awesome. And Dhani is working to develop it, so it will be more true to life for guitarists in the future. And it's a happy, positive thing... my only problem is each time George (cartoon) would come on in the background, I'd look, and then mess up! My mind is conditioned, haha...

I actually think Dhani will play a part in developing this to the point that someday people will be able to learn to play guitar along with their favorite music, with all the groovy graphics, wow... so so much fun! No more "Row Row Row Your Boat" boring sheet music for beginners!
Old Jan 31, 2010, 07:58 PM   #8
Reverend Rock
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
life for guitarists in the future. And it's a happy, positive thing...
I actually think Dhani will play a part in developing this to the point that someday people will be able to learn to play guitar along with their favorite music, with all the groovy graphics, wow... so so much fun! No more "Row Row Row Your Boat" boring sheet music for beginners!
OK, I'll grant the "happy, postitive" part. That is saying something.

If it were to become something that would actually teach music to the kids (and their parents), that would be really wonderful. I would love to see it get to that point.

Old Feb 01, 2010, 12:15 AM   #9
JonnyLytnin
Rocky Raccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Rock View Post
Anyway, I wouldn't give a plug nickel for any music video game, being a musician myself. I think they actually rob young people of the incentive to explore their own musical creativity. And when I actually tried to play Guitar Hero, I was disgusted with it. It was obviously created by people who don't have a clue how the instruments should actually be played.
Actually, the folks who created Guitar Hero (now the creators and makers of the Rock Band franchise) are musicians.

Quote:
If it were to become something that would actually teach music to the kids (and their parents), that would be really wonderful. I would love to see it get to that point.
If I wanted to play a real instrument, I would. Instead, I want to enjoy experiencing the original tracks of songs I love in a way that incorporates physical participation minus the actual work of learning to play an instrument. The game is meant for entertainment. The day they make all of the rhythm games to where you actually have to learn how to play it, that's the day I quit buying them. That's just my take.

I personally believe that those who truly want to learn how to play music will never be deterred by a video game.

Last edited by JonnyLytnin : Feb 01, 2010 at 12:24 AM.
JonnyLytnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2010, 10:27 AM   #10
Reverend Rock
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyLytnin View Post
Actually, the folks who created Guitar Hero (now the creators and makers of the Rock Band franchise) are musicians.
They should be hung by their fingers, then.

Old Feb 01, 2010, 10:40 AM   #11
Hari's Chick

Did you folks see the interview with Dhani where he said - I think it was Slash- failed the easy mode? haha! I guess the more you're used to playing the guitar, the more difficult it is to adjust to the RB guitars!

I can't wait for it to become more advanced, and maybe I can learn guitar beyond the chords I know now. And JonnyLytnin, no worries because if it advances to that point, you don't have to stop playing~ just stick with the older game editions. I would think we are a few generations yet from arriving at a final (teaching type) game.
Old Feb 01, 2010, 10:42 AM   #12
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Me too! And just so excited Dhani is at the forefront of this technology. George must be so proud!
Old Feb 01, 2010, 12:01 PM   #13
JonnyLytnin
Rocky Raccoon

Quote:
They should be hung by their fingers, then.
Sorry Rev, I respectfully disagree. They should be praised for creating two of the most fun video games of all time.
JonnyLytnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2010, 09:09 PM   #14
weirdojace
Fool On The Hill

Send a message via AIM to weirdojace

As a musician myself, I'm sick of hearing people saying that Guitar Hero and Rock Band are ruining kids' abilities to play music. They're not. If a kid wants to learn how to play guitar, trust me, he or she will. Nobody is deciding to not learn real instruments because of these games.

Guitar Hero and Rock Band are just two harmless and fun party games to play with your friends. I don't play many video games at all, but I do enjoy Rock Band. Don't be so hard on them.

Quote:
It was obviously created by people who don't have a clue how the instruments should actually be played.
Oh come on. The game was intentionally made so that actual musicians wouldn't have an advantage over other players just because they already knew how to play guitar. And there's nothing wrong with that. It wouldn't be a party game if that was the case.

Last edited by weirdojace : Feb 08, 2010 at 09:13 PM.
weirdojace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 01:33 AM   #15
jagatinho
Mr. Moonlight

Where did you guys buy the bundle in Europe?
I ordered it from "sendit", but it's out of stock at the moment.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:21 PM   #16
cuttingedgedjs
Nowhere Man

It will be better when and if they add more tunes.

Stuff I write about The Beatles
http://www.cuttingedgedjs.com/blog/c...y/the-beatles/
cuttingedgedjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2010, 02:32 AM   #17
Serena

I don't know if many actually understand the mental benefits to playing these music games. While it may not teach you how to play guitar, it is great at restoring hand-eye coordination and can teach the basic elements of music such as tempo, melody, rhythm and note variations as well as therapeutic benefits to the back, wrist and elbow. It is also great for introducing 'new' and obscure music to players. I use the games in addition to my piano playing for hand exercises. But the latest edition of Rock Band now allows players to use a real guitar; however, having never tried it, I still don't know how relevant it is to real guitar playing.

Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 02:25 AM   #18
MaudeBuckner
Fool On The Hill

What is this game about??I mean Beatles Video game?
MaudeBuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:17 AM   #19
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

It is a magnificent game. Three generations of my family, from ages 5-60+ have played the game together.

Are we talented enough to create music together on real Rickenbickers? No. (My son and daughter are, but not the rest of us).

If you would like to judge us for that, and claim some sort of "musician's superiority", or deny us some fun because the instruments are plastic and electronic rather than sonic...

Shame on you. No on who has ever played claims to be able to play the song for crying out loud.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:38 PM   #20
lucylemon
Fool On The Hill

This is The Beatles Rock Band we're talking about, right? If it is, I remember playing it during a family get together and we had a blast because they had a good selection of songs to play along with. Overall I thought the game was produced quite well for it's target audience (Beatles fans) and didn't really have that tacky glitz and glamour Guitar Hero usually has.

I can see how the game might not have done so well on the market comparatively speaking, if you take into consideration that many Beatles fans are a lot older (by 'old' I'm not trying to offend, I'm just trying to say that they may not consider gaming as a past time), then it is only the younger die hard fans that will consider purchasing the game...which unfortunately may be only 3 million or so... But seriously, is that a bad thing? The game is targeted to a niche audience! Of course sales are not going to go through the roof.

@Maude: The game I'm referring to (and the others as well) is basically a special edition version of that popular console game 'Guitar Hero'. I'm not a gamer myself but I have an inkling that The Beatles Rock Band isn't part of the guitar hero franchise.

I play a the guitar a little bit and it took me quite a while to adjust playing the damn thing - so I can understand how Slash failed too. It is kind of like 'Sing Star'...Really good singers aren't that good at it and average singers are (in my opinion anyway). But in the instance I had playing the game, it is purely for entertainment purposes. It is very rare that a group of friends or family members jam with real instruments. Games like this makes it easier for everyone to participate and personally I don't see it discouraging people from playing the real thing.
lucylemon is offline   Reply With Quote