BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:56 PM   #1
raul
Paperback Writer

Default Does a mass of a brain have anything to do with one's intelligence?

Carl Friedrich Gauss, a versitile mathematical genius, and condidered by many to be the greatest mathematician ever, had an enormous brain mass. On the other hand, I think that Einstein had a small brain mass. These two examples clearly disprove the hypothesis that a larger brain mass necessarily implies greater intelligence. But, is there a correlation? Are these two examples exceptions to that correlation? I know of many geniuses who had a small brain mass, many geniuses who had a large brain mass, many people whose intelligence wasn't high, and yet they had a large brain mass. Only the small brain mass / weak intelligence doesn't come to my mind. I don't know almost anything about biology, so, this is more of a question, than some sort of claim. What do you think?

Legs
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 01:39 AM   #2
Serena

A common answer to this usually falls between yes and no. Generally, some with a higher brain capacity will tend to have a higher I.Q. than someone with smaller brain mass, but the correlation between intelligence and brain size is actually quite weak.

You have to consider the relationship between body mass and brain size. A 5'6 120 pound man is not expected to have the same brain mass 6'2 260 pound man.

When comparing the brain masses of both Einstein and Gauss it is probably difficult to determine exactly who was more intelligent regarding their sizes. Both being prodigiously intelligent men, In this case, I don't think size really matters. Jonathan Swift, author of "Gulliver's Travel," is said to have one of the largest brains measured. Is he the smartest man in the world? It would be difficult to get behind a such an extravagant statement.

The human brain in relationship the animal kingdom, is actually quite large in comparison to our body mass. An elephant's brain may have a larger brain capacity than a human's, but they are not necessarily smarter.

A human brain consists of more gray matter, and connections between the parts of the brain, given us a bit more higher abilities than an elephant has. A human male brain is actually larger than a female's, but the females have more connections and gray matter than a male, so it evens out.

Much contribution to a healthy functioning brain includes organization, environmental stimulation, nutrition, and nerve cell count during development. I.Q. tests have been able to make this status a bit more clearer, but on many accounts they have been misleading and inaccurate. It does not necessarily finalize a person's level of intelligence.

Last edited by Serena : Jun 11, 2008 at 01:45 AM.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 02:58 AM   #3
digdad
Sun King

As another example, the brain mass of Neanderthals was much greater than that of modern Homo sapiens, but it becomes clear that the technology (and thus the general level of intelligence) of the latter surpassed that of the former.

digdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 03:03 AM   #4
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

When you think about it, the "knowings" (only word I can think of) are retained by new neuron connections in the brain, not new cells. So, it wouldn't get bigger, but it would get heavier.

make any sense? I read this in several textbooks.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 04:03 AM   #5
raul
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
A common answer to this usually falls between yes and no. Generally, some with a higher brain capacity will tend to have a higher I.Q. than someone with smaller brain mass, but the correlation between intelligence and brain size is actually quite weak.

You have to consider the relationship between body mass and brain size. A 5'6 120 pound man is not expected to have the same brain mass 6'2 260 pound man.

When comparing the brain masses of both Einstein and Gauss it is probably difficult to determine exactly who was more intelligent regarding their sizes. Both being prodigiously intelligent men, In this case, I don't think size really matters. Jonathan Swift, author of "Gulliver's Travel," is said to have one of the largest brains measured. Is he the smartest man in the world? It would be difficult to get behind a such an extravagant statement.

The human brain in relationship the animal kingdom, is actually quite large in comparison to our body mass. An elephant's brain may have a larger brain capacity than a human's, but they are not necessarily smarter.

A human brain consists of more gray matter, and connections between the parts of the brain, given us a bit more higher abilities than an elephant has. A human male brain is actually larger than a female's, but the females have more connections and gray matter than a male, so it evens out.

Much contribution to a healthy functioning brain includes organization, environmental stimulation, nutrition, and nerve cell count during development. I.Q. tests have been able to make this status a bit more clearer, but on many accounts they have been misleading and inaccurate. It does not necessarily finalize a person's level of intelligence.
Thanks. I don't think we should concentrate only on Gauss and Einstein, however. Augustin Louis Cauchy, also considered by SOME to be the greatest mathematician ever, and considered by many to be one of the greatest (I'm talking top 5), was the one that springed first to my mind right before I typed "small brain mass / genius". On the other hand, Da Vinci had a huge brain mass, in relation to his body mass (Cauchy was tall), concluding from his autoportret. Leonhard Euler, viewed by many as an even greater genius and mathematician than Gauss, and certainly a seminal figure in the history of science, had an average brain mass compared to his body mass, he was short. David Hilbert, another contender for the greatest mathematician ever, and considered the greatest mathematician of the 20th century, had an almost perfectly balanced brain mass and body mass, but he was extremely short. I haven't thought that about brain mass-body mass relationship, so thanks on that one, Serena. Sir Isaac Newton had a pretty big head, compared to his body, and I think he was tall, just as Da Vinci, I could be wrong, though. I do find it frustrating that none of the above, as well as many others, never took an IQ test, no matter how relative and inaccurate IQ is. At least we'd have some sort of reference. There are estimations, however. This may not be accurate, but it could be fun.

Geena Davis -140
Sharon Stone - 154 (this is a fact)
James Woods - 180
Marilyn Vos Savant - 228 (a fact, measured when she was 10), 180 (fact, she was a grown up this time)
William Sidis - 250-300 - not a fact, but estimated by a university professor, whose expertise is human intelligence

This link also may not be accurate, but it could be interesting, or fun

http://hem.bredband.net/b153434/Index.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdad View Post
As another example, the brain mass of Neanderthals was much greater than that of modern Homo sapiens, but it becomes clear that the technology (and thus the general level of intelligence) of the latter surpassed that of the former.
Maybe the brain structure changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New AimeeAndBeatles View Post
When you think about it, the "knowings" (only word I can think of) are retained by new neuron connections in the brain, not new cells. So, it wouldn't get bigger, but it would get heavier.

make any sense? I read this in several textbooks.
It makes sense. I don't know almost anything about biology, though.

Legs
Old Jun 11, 2008, 04:07 AM   #6
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

My husband is well brainy and he has a large skull. I have a tiny skull. Need I say more.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 04:24 AM   #7
raul
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
My husband is well brainy and he has a large skull. I have a tiny skull. Need I say more.
yes.

Legs
Old Jun 11, 2008, 05:30 AM   #8
digdad
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Maybe the brain structure changed?
As far as I know, there is little evidence to suggest that Neanderthal brains were any less complex than modern humans. In fact, it is still debated whether they truly represent a different species or were just a subspecies of Homo sapiens.

digdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 05:35 AM   #9
raul
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdad View Post
As far as I know, there is little evidence to suggest that Neanderthal brains were any less complex than modern humans. In fact, it is still debated whether they truly represent a different species or were just a subspecies of Homo sapiens.
Thanks. I didn't know that.

Legs
Old Jun 12, 2008, 04:20 AM   #10
raul
Paperback Writer

Einstien - 160

"Genius" starts at 140.

I have to correct myself. James Woods has an IQ of 180, fact.

Here's another interesting link:

http://www.aceviper.net/aceviper_net...d_answers.html

And another one:

http://aceviper.net/estimated_iq_of_...e.php?order=iq

another:

http://www.aceviper.net/

another:

http://www.aceviper.net/estimated_iq...ous_people.php

another:

http://www.trivia-library.com/a/hist...s-smarties.htm

Marilyn vos Savant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marilyn_vos_Savant

William James Sidis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_James_Sidis

Emanuel Swedenborg:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emanuel_Swedenborg

Legs

Last edited by raul : Jun 12, 2008 at 04:37 AM.