BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Dec 27, 2006, 07:26 PM   #1
FPSHOT
Sun King

Default Various Friar Park Pictures

Here are some nice pics

round 1906

round 1913

round 1920

One from a Beatles tour

There is a nice Aeral View on Henley-on-Thames here

http://www.henleyonthames.org/

Friar Park is left on the picture.... actually the 3rd purple thingie to click on from the left..which will lead you to quite some pics from the outside of Friar Park

http://www.henleyonthames.org/locati...ldLocationID=9

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 03:04 AM   #2
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

Totally cool, thanks FPSHOT...love the ones from the early 1900's :)
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2007, 11:42 AM   #3
FPSHOT
Sun King

You will know the amazing Stuck-Inside-A-Cloud website, well I found this beautiful old map of Friar Park there

http://www.stuck-inside-a-cloud.net/FriarPark1.html

If you click further you can see more pics of Friar Park with and without George on them.

Old Oct 08, 2007, 12:53 PM   #4
zipp

Thanks for that.
Nice photo of George as gardener.
Shame you can't see much detail on the old map.
Old Oct 08, 2007, 01:31 PM   #5
oldbeatlechick
Sun King

Those are some fab pics FPSHOT, thanks for posting them!

“We didn't all get into music for a job! We got into music to avoid a job, in truth - and get lots of girls.”
Paul McCartney
oldbeatlechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2007, 09:56 PM   #6
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

I cannot see the pic of George, but those I see are great. I do like old photographs, and Friar Park is a beautiful place. Thanks!
Old Oct 08, 2007, 10:07 PM   #7
FPSHOT
Sun King

The one as gardner is maybe the one with the "fork"

here

http://www.stuck-inside-a-cloud.net/FriarParkpics.html

as for the map, well we have had some looks at the park over the years and if you for instance take the pics which are in this topic and the ones from the linked site above here then certain areas can be idntified.

Like below right is I believe the entrance gate, which you also see above here with fans visiting.

remember maybe this story from the LA Express who came to Friar Park and when they drove through the gate they thought they saw the house there but that is only the maintenance man's mansion lol

You can also see the water parts which come back in pics above here and

Then there are two fields at least and they can be seen on the ATMP cover and in the EPK video where George drives round in this golf wagon.

In the middle ofcourse is the main building.

Last edited by FPSHOT : Oct 08, 2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2007, 10:29 PM   #8
FPSHOT
Sun King

Here is a more detailed map from 1914 showing Alpine garden,
glasshouses, and Terrace garden how it was called then.

The description says
Friar Park Estate
Friar Park lodge

Friar Park, a large detached house set in extensive grounds just west of the town, was built in 1889 for the wealthy London solicitor Frank (later Sir Frank) Crisp;[44] its name derived from Friars field, one of the closes acquired for the site, which in the 1840s formed part of the estate of Frederick Hodges of Bolney Court (in Harpsden).[45] The house, a bizarre and eccentric mélange of French Flamboyant Gothic incorporating towers, pinnacles, and large traceried windows, was based probably on Crisp's own designs, adapted by the architect M. Clarke Edwards, and includes punning references to friars in its carved terracotta front and elsewhere. The grounds, landscaped over twenty years, were equally eclectic, featuring a variety of gardens based on exotic, historical, or literary models, among them an Alpine rock garden complete with miniature Swiss mountains, caves, and underground lakes. Following Crisp's death in 1919 the house and land were sold to Percival Victor David (later a baronet), who still lived there in 1939. Before the 1950s it was acquired with around 30 a. by the Salesian Sisters of St John Bosco, a Catholic teaching-order which ran a school there until the late 1960s; soon afterwards it became the home of the rock musician George Harrison

Old Jun 01, 2008, 08:05 PM   #9
FPSHOT
Sun King

I found this very nice story about Friar Park, written by someone who attended the school which was at Friar Park run by sisters of the St. John Bosco order (reminds me of a film George had some music in)

The link has a beautful picture of the main building

http://www.francisfrith.com/search/e...mes_H73303.htm

School days
Before becoming the home of George Harrison of the Beatles, Friar Park was run as a school by sisters of the St. John Bosco order. This was my first school and I remember having to walk all the way to the main door along the winding drive each morning, passing by the huge rhododendron bushes which lined each side. As I approached the large arched entrance door, shown in the photograph above, I could see the gargoyles dotted around the building, they seemed so frightening and I would always hold my head down until I could ring the large door bell and then would stand and wait for one of the sisters to come and welcome me in for the day. The first step took me into the porch which then opened into the great hall, there were many doors and a set of grand stairs leading to the balconied upper floor where the classrooms were.

One door led to the chapel where mass was held and in the opposite corner there was my favourite place, the Holy Shop, a small cabinet hung on the wall with rosarys, hymn books, book markers and other items for sale to children during morning break.

I remember the dining room which was situated behind the main building, it resembled a large greenhouse with glass panes, it was very important to eat everything on our plates and nobody would not be allowed to leave the table until the meal was entirely finished. The sisters worked hard and grew all the vegetables that we ate in the huge kitchen gardens. There were tennis courts and playing fields to the right of the building and the main gardens, with a stunning fountain and landscaped gardens to the left.

It was in the landscaped gardens that Sports Day was held and during Saints Days there would be candlelit processions with all the children walking in line along the front terrace.

On sunny days the sisters would take us for walks around the amazing gardens, through the trees to the Matterhorn, a miniature version of the real thing. There was the Japanese Gardens which my very own ancestor was involved in building. I was too scared to cross the slatted bridge over the water garden and got a jolly good telling off for being such a coward.

Just once or twice we walked to the edge of the estate all the way to 'rolly polly' hill and would be allowed to roll down (no thought for our poor mums having to wash out the grass stains) and climb back up the steep grass bank.

One day I told Sister Ella I was allergic to milk and she excused me from drinking the half pint we were given at morning breaktime. In the winter the bottles were kept outside and the milk would still be frozen when brought indoors for the children to drink. One day she caught me drinking one after all and, again, I did get into so much trouble, not for drinking the milk but for lying to her about my 'allergy'.

There were about six or seven classes in all, from Kindergarten onwards. I remember being 'bell monitor', I had to ring the bell for breaktime. It was a good old fashioned heavy hand bell and, when it was our turn, we would walk up and down the long balconies overlooking the grand hall ringing for all our worth. The interior architecture of Friar Park was as gothic as the outside and I was never quite brave enough to look upwards for fear of seeing another gargoyle face peering down. Sometimes I would meet a novice nun scurring along with brush and pan or mop and bucket but they never talked to the children, as if they were not allowed, but I was always pleased to see a friendly face as I performed my lonely bell-ringing duty.

The school closed towards the end of the 1960s and the building was bought by the late George Harrison. What a wonderful place to call your home!

Old Jun 09, 2008, 10:04 AM   #10
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

FPSHOT, thank you for the pictures and the information. No doubt they are appreciated by all.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Read www.rooftopsessions.com for high caliber Beatles fan fiction.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 05:52 AM   #11
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

Cool. I knew it was an old house, but that's the first time I've seen such old pics of it.

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 05, 2008, 11:12 AM   #12
Freda_Peeple
Dr. Robert

It looks incredible! Can you imagine having a bunch of tourists milling about in front of your house every day, snapping photos? It must have been like living in a zoo.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 10:04 PM   #13
FPSHOT
Sun King

Old Nov 30, 2008, 05:45 PM   #14
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Very peaceful, serene like George and his music.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Read www.rooftopsessions.com for high caliber Beatles fan fiction.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2009, 09:09 PM   #15
FPSHOT
Sun King

These two are from two seperate years and the flowers appear around the time of the anniversary of George's passing.

Last edited by FPSHOT : Feb 13, 2009 at 09:11 PM.