BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Not Only A Northern Song

Old Nov 30, 2006, 04:10 AM   #1
digdad
Sun King

Default Chris Hodge

The recent thread on Jackie Lomax reminded me of another Apple artist, Chris Hodge. A couple months ago I picked up his Apple single "We're On Our Way" / "Supersoul" and just listened to it recently. Actually pretty good stuff, but what really struck me was how much the B-side sounded like John Lennon material from the same time. The music and arrangement sounds exactly like it could have come from the Plastic Ono Band or even Sometime In New York City albums. I started to wonder if Chris Hodge was a Lennon protégé. I know George and Paul each had their artists they produced and worked closely with, but I wasn't aware of John having this level of involvement or interest.

I looked through my (albeit limited) library for info on Chris Hodge but found nothing. I also looked around on the web, but all I could really find was just a listing of his name as an Apple artist, no other information. Does anyone know anything about him?
digdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 06:15 AM   #2
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

Not much, but here are a few links to the UK & US picture sleeves...

http://www.schomakers.com/RecordLabe...UK/APPLE43.htm

http://www.schomakers.com/RecordLabe...leUSA/1850.htm

It's produced by Tony Cox. Wasn't that the name of Yoko's first husband? It can't be the same dude can it?

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 07:01 AM   #3
digdad
Sun King

Tony Cox was the name of Yoko's first husband, but it can't be the same guy. I did a quick search and found a Tony Cox that produced and/or engineered a bunch of rock albums throughout the 70s. But Yoko's husband disappeared with Kyoko in 1971--I'd think that if it was the same guy, he would have been fairly easy to track down.

Thanks, I actually saw those Chris Hodge links before, but they give no information on the guy. A mysterious Apple artist indeed.
Old Dec 01, 2006, 06:58 AM   #4
jesgear
Sun King

Castleman and Podrazik's The Beatles Again, page 154, says about Chris Hodge:

"Apple probably surprised itself with the success of the UFO-invasion rocker "We're On Our Way" - so much so that repeated requests for information and biographies on singer Chris Hodge were met with an apologetic 'We just don't have any'. The song snuck into the top half of the American charts (no. 44), then vanished. After an unsuccessful follow-up, Hodge shifted to RCA. Then he, too, vanished. Rumors that he served as a special consultant to Nicholas Roeg have never been confirmed."

Last edited by jesgear : Dec 01, 2006 at 06:59 AM. Reason: misspelled words
jesgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2006, 07:29 AM   #5
jesgear
Sun King

There's a lot of information about Hodge in Stefan Granados' Those Were The Days - An Unofficial History Of The Beatles Apple Organization 1967-2002.
It mentions that Ringo was responsible for signing Hodge. Hodge was 22 when signed. He'd been living in Rome as a fashion photographer, but had come back to London and signed a music publishing deal with Robert Mellin Publishing and given money to record some demos. He'd called Apple's A&R man Tony King and described his composition about UFOs and later met with King and played him a demo. Tony played the demo tape for Ringo later and Ringo wanted to meet Hodge. Ringo suggested some lyrical changes, but let Hodge record "We're On Our Way" and "Supersoul" as he wished.
In the book, Hodge explained that Tony Cox was a former member of '60s band The Young Idea and that his production of "We're On Our Way" was changed by Apple in New York by Phil Spector's people. Apple bought full page ads in Billboard and Cashbox promoting the single.
King described Hodge as a nightmare and a bit of a headache, bugging King. He was gregarious and outgoing and would visit Apple wearing satin jackets and silver boots with stars on them.
After the success of the single in both the US and the UK, Hodge went back into Apple Studios to record an album. He recorded "The Year 2000", "Karma Is Going To Get You" and "Goodbye Sweet Lorraine", but not all were released; Hodge composed a lot about UFO activity and Stonehenge, but Apple felt that some of his lyrics were too heavy (he described the sudio as having gold plug sockets, rainbow-colored floors and soft rainbow lighting).
"Goodbye Sweet Lorraine" was released in only the US and a few European countries, but didn't sell well. Hodge felt Apple didn't promote it much or give him much guidance. He said that Apple's problems were what caused his plans to record an album to fall through and that he received a letter from Apple in December of '73 describing changes Apple was going through and releasing him from his contract and free to sign with another label. Hodge recorded for RCA and also DJM Records, moved to America and worked in the film industry (I wonder if there's information about him at imdb.com).

And that's all I can find.

Old Dec 01, 2006, 07:50 AM   #6
Legs
Sun King

It was some more info then what I could find.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2006, 07:56 AM   #7
digdad
Sun King

Great info, thanks Jes!

...could have be usefull for Leg's trivia question yesterday...
Old Dec 01, 2006, 07:58 AM   #8
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

Here's the "Goodbye Sweet Lorraine / Contact Love" single...

http://www.schomakers.com/RecordLabe...leUSA/1858.htm

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2006, 08:14 AM   #9
jesgear
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdad View Post
Great info, thanks Jes!

...could have be usefull for Leg's trivia question yesterday...
I haven't been here since Monday.

Oh, well. You snooze, you lose.