BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > And Your Bird Can Sing

Old Jun 08, 2006, 07:50 AM   #1
L'Angelo Misterioso
Bulldog

Question Billy Preston on White Album?

We all have read about the sad news of Billy's death earlier this week. What a great man and a musican the world have lost!

The thing I began to wonder is that almost every article I've read about him today says that he played on three Beatles records; White Album, Let It Be and Abbey Road. His contribution to Let It Be is obvious, and I know he played on Something and I Want You (She's So Heavy) on Abbey Road but was he really on White Album? If so, on what track? I've searched all my books but I haven't seen him credited in any songs as a player (or anything else for that matter). Do any of you know if Billy actually was playing on White Album or what is the story here?

It says on Billy's homepage that he played on those three Beatles records so I guess it can't be all false.

Any help appreciated.

- George Harrison
L'Angelo Misterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 08, 2006, 08:56 AM   #2
Legs
Sun King

Can't be of much help. I know the same as you, I haven't heard anything about Billy playing on the white album. In fact I was pretty sure he wasn't on the white one, but now you mentioned that it's on his official site. Nah, that must be a mistake.

He wasn't on the white album.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 08, 2006, 11:29 AM   #3
darkhorse
Sun King

Arrow

If there were any keyboard players playing as session men for The Beatles they have to be Nicky Hopkins (piano on "Revolution") or Chris Thomas (mellotron on "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill"; harpischord on "Piggies", although his contribution didn't make it into record; organ on "Happiness is a Warm Gun")...

I think Billy entered the picture in January 1969, for the Get Back/Let It Be project.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 08, 2006, 05:59 PM   #4
Blackguard
Paperback Writer

At Beatlefest, during his talk to the crowd, Billy mentioned that he did in fact play on the White Album. He did not mention what song though. It would be fun to find out if those random piano notes on "Revolution 9" were actually from Billy Preston. Don't laugh too loud, they had come from someone.

Last edited by Blackguard : Jun 08, 2006 at 06:01 PM.
Blackguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 09, 2006, 05:11 AM   #5
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

Wonder if he was about for Birthday...with everyone else?
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 09, 2006, 08:01 AM   #6
Pepperland Kamer
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourmilkpinky
Wonder if he was about for Birthday...with everyone else?

I always thought that George recruited Billy because he remembered him from Hamburg during the let it be sessions and that was he first time they got together since then.

But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only.

Nothing Is Beatle-Proof!!
Pepperland Kamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 09, 2006, 05:26 PM   #7
AMBOISVERT
Dr. Robert

There wasn't a whole of lag time between the end of The White Album and the beginning of GET BACK/LET IT BE, was there? Why/how did Billy know to show up at Apple in January '69 (rather than at Abbey Road, or George's house), if he had not seen any of the Beatles since the early days? When exactly was Billy offered his Apple records contract? All these things might clarify whether it was likely (or even possible) that Preston played on the White Album.

Tony

Last edited by AMBOISVERT : Jun 09, 2006 at 05:27 PM.
AMBOISVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 09, 2006, 11:04 PM   #8
maclen1210
Fool On The Hill

well according to "Beatlesongs" by William J.Dowlding, which references from all the recording scedule books and music mags...white album began in may 68 thru oct, 68... Let it be began on Jan 2, 1969. The earliest credit for Preston is on I Me Mine, which it says was recorded on jan 3, 1969. but then i know I me mine was worked on by George, ringo and paul well into 1970 in that famous last session without the vacationing John... but there is no credit for preston on any white album song...according to this book.
maclen1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 02:43 PM   #9
jklein87
Apple Scruff

Send a message via AIM to jklein87 Send a message via Yahoo to jklein87

I believe George harrison was at a concert he was performing at and started talking to him and asked him to join in early to mid January 1969.

jklein87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 06:36 AM   #10
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I didnt even know he was on Abbey Road! I never heard anything about him being on the White Album...

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 02:40 AM   #11
zipp

Yeah I really think this is a mistake.Before he died nobody ever said he played on the white album.He came on the scene in January 69 to lighten the tense atmosphere at the get back sessions.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 03:51 AM   #12
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp
Yeah I really think this is a mistake.Before he died nobody ever said he played on the white album.He came on the scene in January 69 to lighten the tense atmosphere at the get back sessions.
I agree. Before he died there was no talk at all about him playing on the White album, it's only after he passed away that some sources claim he was on the White album. If he was I think we would have known by now, just to much of a coincidence that's mentioned now.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote