BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Not Only A Northern Song

Old Feb 07, 2006, 04:44 PM   #1
thepandoras
Day Tripper

Send a message via AIM to thepandoras
Default The Best Rappers

I think most rap/hiphop is completely stupid. But there are a few that stick out...
Like NWA, Eminem, Run DMC
Who are Beatles fans favorite rappers?
Old Feb 07, 2006, 05:01 PM   #2
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

OutKast--they're Beatles fans too.
NWA and Public Enemy are good because they're at least original, but rap can never be like that again. I like a few Eminem singles and I love "Mama Said Knock You Out" and "It's All About the Benjamins" (plus the "Kashmir"-sampling "Come with Me").

The best rap song of all time is "Lazy Sunday" by Chris Parnell and Andy Samberg.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2006, 05:17 PM   #3
Pepperland Kamer
Dr. Robert

Public Enemy definitly. And the Beastie Boys... De la Soul, Slick Rick, Eric B. and Rakim, Run D.M.C., N.W.A, and A Tribe Called Quest, Wu Tang Clan are the best of the old school (which is still the best rap period) As for now, Outkast, Jay Z and Eminem are interesting. And B.I.G and Tupac are good too.

But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only.

Nothing Is Beatle-Proof!!
Pepperland Kamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2006, 05:19 PM   #4
Pepperland Kamer
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama
NWA and Public Enemy are good because they're at least original, but rap can never be like that again.
Your right, just like punk, all the best stuff came in the first few years and then the original spirit just sort of slowly died as the whole movement became homogenized and exploited... but there are still a few good singles every now and then.

But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only.

Nothing Is Beatle-Proof!!

Last edited by Pepperland Kamer : Feb 07, 2006 at 05:20 PM.
Pepperland Kamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2006, 05:44 PM   #5
thepandoras
Day Tripper

Very well put.
How could I forget the Beastie Boys!?
Old Feb 07, 2006, 06:25 PM   #6
Blackguard
Paperback Writer

The best rappers? I've never heard a good one.
Truth is you can't spell crap without r - a - p.

Last edited by Blackguard : Feb 08, 2006 at 02:49 PM.
Blackguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2006, 06:29 PM   #7
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

The rap that I don't mind is that which has a positive attitude or at least an interesting point of view and has some sort of melodic thing going on behind it. I'm just too much of a melody freak to get into the rap that doesn't have any real music behind it. And all the misanthropic or women/authority hating stuff does nothing for me. I think more people my age would consider it a legitimate art form if more of it dealt with things that we could relate to.

Last edited by Rellevart : Feb 07, 2006 at 06:30 PM.
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2006, 06:42 PM   #8
See_How_They_Run
Rocky Raccoon

lol....Best Rappers? thats an oxymoron....all it talks about is sex sex sex...jeez...THERES OTHER TOPICS OUT THERE!!!! Put catchy lyrics over cool beats, not rolling joints and "goin under the covers" to put it politely....lol....thats why rock music is going away...Did you know? THERE is only 1 ROCK STATION IN ALL OF NEW YORK????? OMG!!!!...I can't WAIT to see the rap backlash....imagine that one!

Isn't This Where We Came In?
See_How_They_Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2006, 06:57 PM   #9
thepandoras
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by See_How_They_Run
lol....Best Rappers? thats an oxymoron....all it talks about is sex sex sex...jeez...THERES OTHER TOPICS OUT THERE!!!! Put catchy lyrics over cool beats, not rolling joints and "goin under the covers" to put it politely....lol....thats why rock music is going away...Did you know? THERE is only 1 ROCK STATION IN ALL OF NEW YORK????? OMG!!!!...I can't WAIT to see the rap backlash....imagine that one!
That's definatly true with today's 'rappers', but listen to the Beastie Boys or Eminem.
Old Feb 07, 2006, 07:04 PM   #10
feelfab
Dr. Robert

Public Enemy--in your face, dangerous, controversial--sounds like rock & roll to me
feelfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2006, 07:20 PM   #11
thepandoras
Day Tripper

FLAAAVVVAAAAAAAA FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVVVVVVVVVVV
YEAH BOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Old Feb 07, 2006, 10:23 PM   #12
Roxy Starkey
Sgt. Pepper

Send a message via MSN to Roxy Starkey

I like Eminem.
He's an intelligent guy with a lot of interesting things to say. He's very talented on what he does, and i respect him.
Would you like to do it too?

You and I, country dreamer
Roxy Starkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2006, 07:20 AM   #13
joenamherst
Dr. Robert

YO! Without a doubt the all time number one C-rapper is.....drum roll please......Vanilla Ice! Word Up To Your Motha!.......
Old Feb 08, 2006, 09:40 AM   #14
vincenthanna
Apple Scruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy Starkey
I like Eminem.
He's an intelligent guy with a lot of interesting things to say. He's very talented on what he does, and i respect him.
I agree 100% with Roxy Starkey

''...I learned very early in life that without a song the day would never end, without a song the road would never bend, without a song a man aint got a friend, without a song, so i'll keep singing a song...'' - Elvis Presley (1971) [Lifetime Achievement Award Speech]

''Before Elvis There Was Nothing'' - John Lennon

''I Doubt Very Much If The Beatles Would Have Even Happened If It Hadn't Been For Elvis'' - Paul McCartney
vincenthanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2006, 09:59 AM   #15
AMBOISVERT
Dr. Robert

Since no one has mentioned them so far, I'd like to say that I love the Fugees. They are witty, smart, musical (they sing AND rap, and do both well), and I think their hearts are in the right place. I also have a soft spot for Public Enemy (great shot of Flav earlier!).

To the naysayers out there, all I can say is this: good music knows no genres. There is plenty of bad hip-hop out there, just as there is (and always has been) plenty of bad pop and rock. And no one says you have to like any of it, even if it IS good. But let's not dump on people for liking something different. If you can't stand hip hop, why read this thread?

Tony

AMBOISVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2006, 10:14 AM   #16
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart
The rap that I don't mind is that which has a positive attitude or at least an interesting point of view and has some sort of melodic thing going on behind it. I'm just too much of a melody freak to get into the rap that doesn't have any real music behind it. And all the misanthropic or women/authority hating stuff does nothing for me. I think more people my age would consider it a legitimate art form if more of it dealt with things that we could relate to.
I totally agree, you said it all for me.

Nope, don't like rap at all...in fact, I am inclined to say that "rap" and "music" are two mutually exclusive things.
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in all the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." - John Steinbeck

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2006, 03:00 PM   #17
Blackguard
Paperback Writer

This is a prime example of why I don't prefer rap. It's always based on someone else's music. The songs have been sampled and edited into another form with a new lyric added. I wish one rapper would do an original composition.
Old Feb 08, 2006, 08:50 PM   #18
feelfab
Dr. Robert

A lot of the criticisms of rap are very similar to those levelled at Elvis, and all the other early R&R performers---'it's not music'-etc. These same things were said about the early be-bop Jazz guys, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, and so forth. It reminds me of a scene-I think it's in 'Don't Look Back'- where the interviewer says to Dylan something like 'I don't get your songs.' and Dylan replies, 'Then they're not for you."
All of which doesn't invalidate any of the opinions; I believe it just shows that each generation makes its own noise and the older generations like it or don't. And as much as I like it when my kids or any other kid appreciates the music I have loved for many years; there is a comfort in knowing that artists keep pushing and exploring, sometimes good, sometimes not, but not playing safe. And after all, isn't that one of the best, if not the best, things about the Boys?
feelfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2006, 09:09 AM   #19
AMBOISVERT
Dr. Robert

I couldn't agree more. There is a story in my family that, to her dying day, my great-grandmother maintained that the compositions of Jean Sibelius simply WEREN'T music. Nowadays this seems like a preposterous assertion. But certainly lots of people turned up their noses at the Beatles and called it "noise" and "derivative" when it was all new. Now that seems absurd too.

I am sure that an "I can't stand Rap" thread would be get a lot of posts from Beatles fans. But we aren't obliged to feel that way. Isn't that great!

(Just trying to keep it positive.)

Tony

AMBOISVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2006, 10:38 AM   #20
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelfab
A lot of the criticisms of rap are very similar to those levelled at Elvis, and all the other early R&R performers---'it's not music'-etc. These same things were said about the early be-bop Jazz guys, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, and so forth. It reminds me of a scene-I think it's in 'Don't Look Back'- where the interviewer says to Dylan something like 'I don't get your songs.' and Dylan replies, 'Then they're not for you."
All of which doesn't invalidate any of the opinions; I believe it just shows that each generation makes its own noise and the older generations like it or don't. And as much as I like it when my kids or any other kid appreciates the music I have loved for many years; there is a comfort in knowing that artists keep pushing and exploring, sometimes good, sometimes not, but not playing safe. And after all, isn't that one of the best, if not the best, things about the Boys?
I agree, just because rap is not for me does not mean that I think it shouldn't be around or that other people shouldn't like it. There's always going to be a unique musical expression for each generation that an earlier generation doesn't "get," but that surely does not make the newer expressions invalid!
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in all the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." - John Steinbeck

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote