BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > And Your Bird Can Sing

Old Jan 22, 2005, 10:02 AM   #1
matt5
Old Brown Shoe

Default Fool on the Hill is unjustly ignored

At least in my opinion it is. It is a true classic but it doesn't seem to get nearly as much attention on the radio or in the media as the other 'big' 66-67 songs like Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane, Hello Goodbye, I am the Walrus, and All you Need is Love and yet I feel that Fool on the Hill is actually better than most of the songs listed above.

Thoughts?
matt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 10:09 AM   #2
Frightwolf
Dr. Robert

Default Re: Fool on the Hill is unjutly ignored

Personally, I like it better than All You Need Is Love, but that's it.

I feel that the lyrics are really good, but I'm still trying to find out exactly WHAT he's talking about (I can only speculate). A very pretty song, definite underrated gem like Misery.
Frightwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 10:31 AM   #3
matt5
Old Brown Shoe

[ QUOTE ]
Frightwolf Posted:

I feel that the lyrics are really good, but I'm still trying to find out exactly WHAT he's talking about (I can only speculate). A very pretty song, definite underrated gem like Misery.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also think its better than All You Need is Love, and better than Hello Goodbye and perhaps Penny Lane as well. And yest it is a very pretty song and one of Maccas finest vocal performances in my opinion.
matt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 10:34 AM   #4
pepperland67
Dr. Robert

I like it, but I don't think it's better than I Am the Walrus.
pepperland67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 10:52 AM   #5
luvsthebeatles
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to luvsthebeatles Send a message via Yahoo to luvsthebeatles

[ QUOTE ]
Frightwolf Posted:

[/ QUOTE ]
What does it really matter what he's talking about? Just as long as you can have your own meaning for it. Tell me then, what is John talking about in I Am The Walrus?
luvsthebeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 11:02 AM   #6
Savoy Truffle
Paperback Writer

I think Fool On The Hill is a very lovely, underrated song. But I have to be in the right mood to listen to it though.
Savoy Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 11:15 AM   #7
Apple Scruff
Sun King

I've never really been crazy about it. I've grown to like it more over the years, as opposed to completely ignoring it. I think it's the flutes and the over-sweetness of it. No offense whatsoever, because I totally see how you could love it so, but the other songs you mentioned I prefer over it very much (with the exception of Hello, Goodbye).

Strawberry Fields is my dad's favorite song of all time. He cried at one point when I played him some of the SFF demos. He just adores it, so it means a lot to me if just for that.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 11:21 AM   #8
chiliace
Wild Honey Pie

"Fool on the Hill" was the answer (in question form) to one of the questions on Jepardy on fri, 1-21.
Just an aside, whatever.
chiliace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:29 PM   #9
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

I like the lyrics of this one a lot, but for the actual song I admit I've never been crazy about it. I'm not sure what it is about it that doesn't click with me, but the ones you listed Matt, such as Strawberry Fields, I Am The Walrus, Hello Goodbye, etc, I get into a lot more. I don't know what it is about one certain song that attracts people more than others, but I guess there's something about The Fool that most don't care for?
DizzymissLizzy909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 01:59 PM   #10
lonely_rubber_peppers
Nowhere Man

Send a message via MSN to lonely_rubber_peppers

[ QUOTE ]
Savoy Truffle Posted:
I think Fool On The Hill is a very lovely, underrated song. But I have to be in the right mood to listen to it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's alright, I don't really think it's one of Paul's best, but I agree that it's underrated. I know what you mean about having to be in the right mood to listen to it, though.
lonely_rubber_peppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 02:02 PM   #11
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

I love the lyrics, but even so, it's not one of my favorites. It's also not one of my least favorites. It's just "in the pack" for me.

The psychedelic period is my least favorite, so I do like it more than most of the songs from that era - the vocal performance is really good too.
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 02:25 PM   #12
bluefox4000
Apple Scruff

Send a message via Yahoo to bluefox4000

I'm being honest when I say I believe it is a throwaway. To me it's so uninspired. I mean, To me it sounds like the song is bored with itself. Not at all my favorite tune, I always skip it on Magical Mystery Tour.

Peace,

Mick
bluefox4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 05:03 PM   #13
twovirgins
Sun King

can i tell my fool on the hill story again please????
this song is about a man who is considered a fool by others, but whose foolish demeanor is actually an indication of wisdom. An event which prompted this song happened when Paul was walking his dog Martha, on Primrose Hill one morning. As he watched the sun rise, he noticed that Martha was missing. In an instant, Paul turned around to look for his dog, and there a man stood, who appeared on the hill without making a sound. The gentleman was dressed respectably, in a belted raincoat. Paul knew this man had not been there seconds earlier as he had looked in that direction for Martha. Paul and the stranger exchanged a greeting, and this man then spoke of what a beautiful view it was from the top of this hill that overlooked London. Within a few seconds, Paul looked around again, and the man was gone. He had vanished as he had appeared. Alistair Taylor was present with Paul doing this strange incident, and wrote of this event in his book, Yesterday.

Both Paul and Alistair could not imagine what happened to this man. He had seemed to vanish in thin air. The nearest trees for cover were too far to reach by walking or running in a few seconds, and the crest of the hill was too far as well to reach in that short time. What made the experience even more mysterious, was that just before this man first appeared, Paul and Alistair were speaking to each other of the beauty they observed of the view towards London and the existence of God. Once back home, they spent the morning discussing what had happened, trying to make some sense of it. They both agreed that this was something others were infer occurred as a result of an "acid trip," but they both swore they had not taken or used any drugs. When Paul filmed the sequence for this song in the film, it shows him on a hilltop overlooking the town of Nice.
twovirgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 05:46 PM   #14
Frightwolf
Dr. Robert

[ QUOTE ]
luvsthebeatles Posted:
What does it really matter what he's talking about? Just as long as you can have your own meaning for it. Tell me then, what is John talking about in I Am The Walrus?

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer knowing what singers and singing about, which is why I REALLY wanna know what John was singing about in Strawberry Fields.

The beauty of I Am The Walrus is that John intended it to be toward his fans that look too much into the lyrics of what he sings. "Let's see the f*ckers try to figure this one out!" is a famous John quote. Therefore, one must look at this song as John INTENTIONALLY trying to be nonsensical, and succeeds, making it a really great song. THAT'S what he's talking about
Old Jan 22, 2005, 05:46 PM   #15
Frightwolf
Dr. Robert

[ QUOTE ]
twovirgins Posted:
can i tell my fool on the hill story again please????
this song is about a man who is considered a fool by others, but whose foolish demeanor is actually an indication of wisdom. An event which prompted this song happened when Paul was walking his dog Martha, on Primrose Hill one morning. As he watched the sun rise, he noticed that Martha was missing. In an instant, Paul turned around to look for his dog, and there a man stood, who appeared on the hill without making a sound. The gentleman was dressed respectably, in a belted raincoat. Paul knew this man had not been there seconds earlier as he had looked in that direction for Martha. Paul and the stranger exchanged a greeting, and this man then spoke of what a beautiful view it was from the top of this hill that overlooked London. Within a few seconds, Paul looked around again, and the man was gone. He had vanished as he had appeared. Alistair Taylor was present with Paul doing this strange incident, and wrote of this event in his book, Yesterday.

Both Paul and Alistair could not imagine what happened to this man. He had seemed to vanish in thin air. The nearest trees for cover were too far to reach by walking or running in a few seconds, and the crest of the hill was too far as well to reach in that short time. What made the experience even more mysterious, was that just before this man first appeared, Paul and Alistair were speaking to each other of the beauty they observed of the view towards London and the existence of God. Once back home, they spent the morning discussing what had happened, trying to make some sense of it. They both agreed that this was something others were infer occurred as a result of an "acid trip," but they both swore they had not taken or used any drugs. When Paul filmed the sequence for this song in the film, it shows him on a hilltop overlooking the town of Nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool! Thanks for the info
Old Jan 22, 2005, 05:49 PM   #16
luvsthebeatles
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to luvsthebeatles Send a message via Yahoo to luvsthebeatles

[ QUOTE ]
Frightwolf Posted:
The beauty of I Am The Walrus is that John intended it to be toward his fans that look too much into the lyrics of what he sings. "Let's see the f*ckers try to figure this one out!" is a famous John quote. Therefore, one must look at this song as John INTENTIONALLY trying to be nonsensical, and succeeds, making it a really great song. THAT'S what he's talking about

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh, I really need to go into reasearch before posting anything here don't I? I've read that quote before. lol
luvsthebeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 10:47 PM   #17
chiliace
Wild Honey Pie

The song "Nowhere Man " and "Fool on the Hill" are linked in my mind for some reason. I don't know why. Anybody else have this feeling? Perhaps they are both "Nemos", or no man, as it means in Latin. The Fool could be an angel (no man) and Nowwhere Man could be everyman( no single man) Wow, thoughts run deep, late at night. Just thinkin'.
chiliace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 10:34 AM   #18
Bexy_Starkey
Dr. Robert

*hangs head in shame of terrible question* which album is Fool ON the Hill on? Please remember I'm only young(!)

peace n love, bexy x x x
Bexy_Starkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 10:44 AM   #19
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

Magical Mystery Tour
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 11:00 AM   #20
NaomiMcCartney
Paperback Writer

Send a message via Yahoo to NaomiMcCartney
Default Re: Fool on the Hill is unjustly ignored

I love Fool On The Hill. I think it's a classic as well. Everytime I hear it it makes me think he's singing about Harpo Marx! I picture Harpo walking up on some hill looking foolish with that goofy face expression of his, the gookie! And the man of a thousand voices makes me think of Groucho. Call me crazy but that's what I see in my head each time I hear it!
NaomiMcCartney is offline   Reply With Quote