BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Jan 03, 2005, 07:36 AM   #1
andalucia
Dr. Robert

Default Tommy Moore.

HI all.

Just wanted to know if anyone knew anything about Tommy Moore who was a Drummer with The Beatles for a while in the early days. I knew Tommy well myself, he worked with my father in Standards bottle works in the garston area of Liverpool.Tommy drove a Forklift truck and was having all kinds of trouble with his girlfriend. this led to him missing gigs as she never wanted him to play in the band. Tommy told me she suffered depression and was violent. he said she once met The Beatles and told them to f*** off.
Tommy later married another girl and had a daughter called Claire. his marriage broke up and this is when i got to know him well. he moved to the Belle Vale area of Liverpool and i would see lots of him. He was never bitter about leaving the band. he had all the albums and would tell me tales about them.He took me to my first Beatles convention and got me really hooked.Sadly Tommy died in September 1981. Only 11 people came to his funeral. Bob wooler was there and spoke highly of Tommy. I just wanted to write something about Tommy as i dont want him forgotten.He was a great bloke who did so much for me.If any of you have any information about Tommy`s days in the band please post it. i have no photo`s of him and not sure if any exist from when he was in the band.thanks for reading this everyone,he really was a great bloke...Tony.
andalucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2005, 07:50 AM   #2
AnyRoad69
Banned

Default Re: Tommy Moore.

You repeat yourself

[ QUOTE ]
Posted Sun Jan 02 2005 04:26 AM Reply Edit Quote

Hello All

Im new here. My name is Tony and im from Liverpool.I hit the big 40 this year.I have liked The Beatles since i was a kid,Parents played them a lot along with Elvis(who i also like)Im no expert on them,i just love the music and this site looked so cool so here i am.My father worked with Tommy Moore and i knew Tommy well,he took me to my first Beatles convention.hope to talk about him on the forum one day.Well for now i just want to say hello to every one of you and i hope to get to know you all .

[/ QUOTE ]
AnyRoad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2005, 07:51 AM   #3
andalucia
Dr. Robert

I have not told the people on this site about this yet.. but if it is a problem i can take it off,
Old Jan 03, 2005, 08:04 AM   #4
andalucia
Dr. Robert

when i say not told people about him i mean what i know about him.as you can see in my introduction i mentioned him but on here i can say a bit more about him and ask for information...as i said if you think it`s a problem i will take it off. i did not know you could not mention something twice(SLAPS OWN WRIST)
Old Jan 03, 2005, 09:53 AM   #5
SF4-EVER

Although I am not one of the moderators for Abbey Road, I personally see no reason why you can't mention Tommy in your "introduction" post and then expand on your relationship with him in a separate topic, Tony. Thank you for sharing this with us; I'm sure you know more about him than just about any other member here. Did Tommy tell you any stories about his time with the Beatles that you could share with us, please?
SF4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2005, 02:29 PM   #6
beatlelover45223

I only know of Tommy through books, but I know Bill Harry has a section in his book, and Bob Wooler talks quite a lot about Tommy in his book, sounds like he was a nice guy, I am sorry to see that he died so young, what did he die of/from? I see not reason, not to post in Abbey Road either, not everyone checks out the introductions of new members in my forum, I think it nice to hear about another piece of Beatle & Tommy history from a friend...
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2005, 02:32 PM   #7
beatlelover45223

[ QUOTE ]
AnyRoad69 Posted:
You repeat yourself

[ QUOTE ]
Posted Sun Jan 02 2005 04:26 AM Reply Edit Quote

Hello All

Im new here. My name is Tony and im from Liverpool.I hit the big 40 this year.I have liked The Beatles since i was a kid,Parents played them a lot along with Elvis(who i also like)Im no expert on them,i just love the music and this site looked so cool so here i am.My father worked with Tommy Moore and i knew Tommy well,he took me to my first Beatles convention.hope to talk about him on the forum one day.Well for now i just want to say hello to every one of you and i hope to get to know you all .

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and there was no need to point this out AR, play nice here
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2005, 02:44 PM   #8
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

I would like to know more also
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2005, 03:10 PM   #9
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Well, I AM one of the moderators of Abbey Road...I'm sorry that I have a life and was busy today and did not get to this right away.

Welcome to Beatlelinks, Tony -- I think people will want to hear more of your stories regarding Tommy Moore.

And AnyRoad, may I please ask you once again not to be rude to other members of this forum? Tony is new, he is not used to the way things work here, and I personally do not think he said anything at all that required such an abrupt response from you.

Again, Tony, welcome!
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2005, 03:28 PM   #10
jtal909
Sun King

When did Tommy Moore play with the Beatles?
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2005, 03:32 PM   #11
HMVNipper
Sun King

[ QUOTE ]
jtal909 Posted:
When did Tommy Moore play with the Beatles?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was quite early on -- there was a lot of stuff about Tommy Moore in Alan Williams' book "The Man Who Gave The Beatles Away." (All that stuff about him being a forklift operator at the bottleworks and having a girlfriend who didn't like him being in the band, definitely!)
Old Jan 03, 2005, 07:19 PM   #12
Sarandipity
Dr. Robert

It sounds like he led quite the interesting life. It would be lovely to hear more!
Sarandipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2005, 09:22 PM   #13
andalucia
Dr. Robert

No offence was caused by Anyroad so please dont have a go at him.

Well about Tommy all i can really tell you is whats in the books. he went on the tour in Scotland and the van crashed.Tommy was hit in the face by a guitar and lost most of his teeth. he had a full set of false choppers when i knew him.

He was having run ins with John. he said John could be very cruel to people.

He told me about a time when they all went on an afternoon drinking session and had to play in the evening. they were all drunk and it was terrible,but tommy said it was so funny and they could not stop laughing.

He always said they were talented and was happy for them when they hit it big.

I went to a Beatles convention with Tommy and a lot of people knew who he was.so i guess he stayed on the scene in some way.

On 29th September 1981 the police were called to Tommy`s home . Tommy had not been seen for three days.they got in through an upstairs window and found Tommy on the floor.he had suffered a Brain Haemorrhage.I remember the day well.i was standing outside his house when they got in.I was 16 and it was horrible.I remember my father running up the road from work and going into Tommy`s house.i could see the hurt on his face.im sorry to go on ,but Tommy was a special man to me and my father.

The fact that a lot of you know about Tommy makes me very happy. he is not forgotten.I wanted to share what i know about him with you and hope that one day someone might come up with more details about his time in the band.you never know??

Thanks all...Tony.
Old Jan 04, 2005, 12:17 AM   #14
AnyRoad69
Banned

here is he with the Boys

He is not forgotten, just as not as Jimmy Nichols and Pete Best.
AnyRoad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2005, 12:30 AM   #15
andalucia
Dr. Robert

Thanks but that`s Johnny Hutchinson.
Old Jan 04, 2005, 03:17 AM   #16
HMVNipper
Sun King

[ QUOTE ]
andalucia Posted:
Thanks but that`s Johnny Hutchinson.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was gonna say...that's not Tommy Moore!
Old Jan 04, 2005, 04:41 AM   #17
chaitanya
Sgt. Pepper

I've found several sites talking about Tommy (also in Spanish,Danish,Dutch,Brazilian etc...) confirming your story,but no pics at all

Maybe this ? dunno...

sorry for the quality

chaitanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2005, 05:02 AM   #18
matt5
Old Brown Shoe

[ QUOTE ]
chaitanya Posted:
I've found several sites talking about Tommy (also in Spanish,Danish,Dutch,Brazilian etc...) confirming your story,but no pics at all

Maybe this ? dunno...

sorry for the quality

[/ QUOTE ]

looks like pete best?
matt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2005, 10:15 AM   #19
HMVNipper
Sun King

That IS Pete Best in the pic above.

However...thanks to that early photos site FPSHOT posted a link to in another topic in this forum, I found what appears to be a photo of The Beatles with Tommy Moore. It's from the same session as the one above with Johnny Hutchinson, the day they auditioned for Larry Parnes to tour with Billy Fury (and didn't get the gig because they wouldn't play without Stuart), but the website explains (and I do remember reading this in a book as well) that Tommy was late and Johnny only filled in for the first song until Tommy arrived. Anyway...here's the pic, and it clearly shows the drummer -- who isn't Johnny Hutchinson. It seems to be a later shot from the same roll of film, during the same audition.

Old Jan 04, 2005, 10:19 AM   #20
andalucia
Dr. Robert

Hey thats cool.. anyway i can enlarge the picture so i can have a good look? and thanks so much..Tony.