BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Archives > A Day In The Life

Old Apr 28, 2003, 11:28 PM   #1
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry
Default 039 - February 8

February 8

Evening: Performance of the Quarry Men at the Wilson Hall, Garston. Paul introduces George to John.

[Or around this day.] Brian goes to HMV's store, 363 Oxford Street, London, to have acetates cut from tapes of some songs of the Decca audition, and chat with Bob Boast, disc-cutter Jim Foy, and Sid Colman, who contacts him with George Martin.

Concert at the ABC, Carlisle (Helen Shapiro tour). The Beatles are ejected from a ballroom for wearing leather jackets.

With The Beatles number 1, 10th week (UK Record Retailer).

"I Want To Hold Your Hand" number 1, 2nd week; 4th week in the Top 100 (US Billboard).
"I Want To Hold Your Hand" number 1, 3rd week (US Cashbox).
"I Want To Hold Your Hand" number 1, 7th and last week (Australia Kent Music Report).
"I Want To Hold Your Hand" number 1, 2nd week (Hitkrant Europarade).

"I Saw Her Standing There", 1st week in the Top 100 (US Billboard).

"She Loves You", 3rd week in the Top 100 (US Billboard).

"Please Please Me", 2nd week in the Top 100 (US Billboard).

Rehearsal for the Ed Sullivan Show performance, at the CBS Studios, New York.

Photographic session in the Central Park, New York. George, sick with fever, stays in bed.

Start of British tour of Gerry and the Pacemakers, presented by Arthur Howes and Brian.

It is announced that the next Beatles film will be Richard Condon's "A Talent For Loving", produced for Pickfair Films.

Studio 2. 7:00pm-2:15am. Recording: "Good Morning Good Morning" (takes 1-8). Producer: George Martin; Engineer: Geoff Emerick; 2nd Engineer: Richard Lush.

Recording of rythm track for "Good Morning Good Morning".

Studio 2. 2:30-9:00pm. Recording: "The Inner Light" (overdub onto take 6). Mono mixing: "The Inner Light" (remixes 2-4, from take 6). Recording: "Across The Universe" (overdub onto take 8). Producer: George Martin; Engineer: Geoff Emerick/Ken Scott; 2nd Engineer: Richard Lush.

Studio 2 (control room only). 10:00pm-12:15am. Mono mixing: "Across The Universe" (remixes 1, 2, from take 8). Producer: George Martin; Engineer: Ken Scott; 2nd Engineer: Richard Lush.

Recording of backing vocals for "The Inner Light". It is decided to keep "Across The Universe" for a World Wildlife Found album, and give "The Inner Light" the B-side of the next single.

Photo shoot for promotional material to accompany the release of "Lady Madonna."

Australian EP release: "Norwegian Wood" (Parlophone GEPO 70044).

The Beatles number 1, 8th week (Australia Kent Music Report).

Yellow Submarine LP, 4th week in the Top 30 (US Billboard).

Unfinished Music No. 1--Two Virgins enters the ranking,
number 158 (US Billboard).

"Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" number 5 (Dutch Top 40).

"Lily The Pink" by The Scaffold number 7 (Dutch Top 40).

"Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" covered by Marmalade number 14 (Dutch Top 40).

"Hey Jude" covered by Wilson Pickett number 17 (Dutch Top 40).

George Harrison has his tonsils removed.

Ringo and Maureen fly to Zurich, Swizerland with for a skiing holiday in the Alps after Ringo has completed work on the film 200 Motels. The holiday is cut short when Ringo is requested to deal with Paul McCartney's High Court action to dissolve The Beatles.

"My Sweet Lord" number 1, 4th week (Australia Kent Music Report).
"My Sweet Lord" number 1 (Oricon Hot Singles Chart).

Unannounced Paul's concert at the Nottingham University.

UK single release: "You're Sixteen"/"Devil Woman" (Apple R 5995).

At the second annual Brit Awards held in London, Paul McCartney wins Best British Male Solo Artist.

Paul performs in concert at The Centrum, Worcester, Massachusetts ("Get Back Tour").

Suffering from depression American singer songwriter Del Shannon died of self inflicted gunshot wounds. He's scored the 1961 UK and US No.1 single "Runaway", plus 9 US and 12 other UK Top 40 singles. Shannon had been working with Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne and was rumoured to be replacing Roy Orbison, who had recently died, in the Traveling Wilburys supergroup.

At the Museum of Modern Art in Oxford, Yoko's art exhibition "Have You Seen The Horizon Lately" is on display.

The wooden church stage where John Lennon and Paul McCartney first met is saved from demolition when the Liverpool City Council votes to dismantle the stage and store it rather than demolish it to make way for renovations.

Bob Wooler died after a long illness at the age of 76. He was the resident DJ and booker at Liverpool's Cavern Club during the early 1960's.

Yoko makes a statement on a comparison between she and John being naked on the cover of Two Virgins and the Janet Jackson flap: "We were attacked too. Very much so. It's interesting dialogue. Of course it's going to upset some people but I'm sure she's ready for it. She's a strong lady."

Ringo becomes the 2,401st person to be added to the Hollywood Walk Of Fame during a ceremony that marked the 50th anniversary of the attraction.

In New York City, the Donald and Mary Oenslager Gallery runs in the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, at Lincoln Center. The library exhibition include tour memorabilia, historic film clips, video interviews with musicians, as well as interactive exhibits.

Last edited by bearkat77 : Feb 16, 2014 at 07:58 PM.