BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old Feb 27, 2003, 03:13 AM   #1
SF4-EVER

Default Mr. Rogers Has Left the Neighborhood...

LINK to story.

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) -- Television host Fred Rogers, better known simply as "Mister Rogers," died Thursday after a brief battle with stomach cancer, according to a spokeswoman for his production company.

Rogers, 74, died at his home in Pittsburgh. He is survived by his wife Joanne Rogers, their two sons and two grandsons, according to his Web site.

Marisa Lynch, who has worked for Family Communications Inc. for nearly 20 years, said she was in shock.

"We just learned about his illness in January," she said. "Luckily, he didn't suffer."

Staff members rushed into work around 2:20 a.m. after hearing that the venerable host of the long-running PBS show "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" passed away, Lynch said.

"We're very loyal and dedicated," she said of the employees.

The Web site for Family Communications Inc., the non-profit company that produces the show, issued the following statement:

"We are very sorry to deliver the sad news that Fred Rogers died on February 27, 2003 after a brief battle with stomach cancer. We are grateful for the many people, young and old, who have cared about his work over the years and who continue to appreciate Mister Rogers' Neighborhood on PBS. We hope that you'll join us in celebrating his life by reflecting on his messages and taking them into your everyday lives."

According to the program's Web site, Fred McFeely Rogers was born in 1928 in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, 40 miles east of Pittsburgh.

Rogers began developing his ideas for children's programming in the 1950s. He is best known for "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood," which began in its early form in 1963 as a show on Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

Rogers took the idea to the U.S. and in 1967, the first "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" aired on Pittsburgh's WQED in 1967. A year later, PBS picked it up.

The last original "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" aired in 2001, making it PBS's longest-running program ever.

The slow-paced show offered an alternate universe to most of today's quick-edit cartoon children's programming. But on the eve of his final show, Rogers told CNN's Jeff Greenfield he looks at it as more than entertainment; it's a chance to reach young people and give them a foundation for a good life.

"I believe that those of us who are the producers and purveyors of television -- or video games or newspapers or any mass media -- I believe that we are the servants of this nation," Rogers said.

That's why he got into television in the first place.

"I got into television because I hated it so," he said. "And I thought there was some way of using this fabulous instrument to be of nurture to those who would watch and listen."

Up until the end, the show was taped at WQED, and until the end it started with Rogers donning a cardigan sweater and comfortable shoes as he enters his home in the Neighborhood of Make-Believe.

Through the years, Rogers featured artists ranging from cellist Yo-Yo Ma to bodybuilder-actor Lou Ferrigno. He dealt with the death of pets and divorce, while teaching children to love themselves and others. His recurring characters included Mr. McFeely and Lady Elaine Fairchilde.

"Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" won loads of recognition, including four Emmys and a lifetime achievement award. A cardigan sweater belonging to Rogers hangs in the Smithsonian.

Those sweaters became Rogers' identifying characteristic. He credited his mom for the fashion statement that says, more than anything else, "Won't you be my neighbor?"

"My mother made a sweater a month for as many years as I knew her," Rogers said. "And every Christmas she would give this extended family of ours a sweater.

"She would say, 'What kind do you all want next year?' " said Rogers. "She said, 'I know what kind you want, Freddy. You want the one with the zipper up the front.' "

An ordained Presbyterian minister, Rogers' command of innocence won him thousands of young fans.

"I do think that young children can spot a phony a mile away," he says.

And it also made him the butt of parody by adults like comedian Eddie Murphy, who played his own version of Mister Rogers on "Saturday Night Live."

President Bush in 2002: "Fred Rogers has proven that television can soothe the soul and nurture the spirit and teach the very young."
Rogers knew for a fact that Murphy meant no harm with his humor. In fact, they met once.

"He just put his arms around me and said, 'The real Mister Rogers,' " he said.

On the last show, Rogers entered his home and donned his red zip-up sweater and traded his loafers for a pair of comfy blue sneakers.

The finale ended a weeklong tribute to art, with Rogers leafing through a stack of drawings kids made of the Neighborhood Trolley "to see how different people draw the same thing."

Rogers said he hoped kids who watch it will take it with them as they grow into adults.

"We all long to be lovable and capable of loving," he said. "And whatever we can do through the Neighborhood or anything else to reflect that and to encourage people to be in touch with that, then I think that's our ministry."

In 2002, President George W. Bush presented Rogers with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor, recognizing his contribution to the well-being of children and a career in public television that demonstrated the importance of kindness, compassion and learning.

On January 1, 2003, in his last public appearance, Rogers served as a Grand Marshal of the Tournament of Roses Parade, and tossed the coin for the Rose Bowl Game.
SF4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 03:24 AM   #2
Nerk Sister
Day Tripper

Default Re: Mr. Rogers Has Left the Neighborhood...

I'm sad.
Nerk Sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 03:31 AM   #3
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

I am very saddened to hear this news...Fred Rogers was a lovely, lovely man who never, EVER talked down to children, but showed respect and caring. I loved his program as a child, and my son STILL loves it in repeats.

This is indeed a sad day in the neighborhood...the WORLD neighborhood. [img]graemlins/cry1.gif[/img] *

Here's another article from AP, by the way.

http://1010wins.com/topstories/winsn...yPrintableView

Sad Day in the Neighborhood
Feb 27, 2003 5:47 am US/Eastern

Fred Rogers, who gently invited millions of children to be his neighbor as host of the public television show "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" for more than 30 years, died of cancer early Thursday. He was 74.

Rogers died at his Pittsburgh home, said family spokesman David Newell, who played Mr. McFeely on the show. Rogers had been diagnosed with stomach cancer sometime after the holidays, Newell said.

"He was so genuinely, genuinely kind, a wonderful person," Newell said. "His mission was to work with families and children for television. He produced not only these thousands of programs, but these books and records. That was his passion, his mission, and he did it from day one."

From 1968 to 2000, Rogers, an ordained Presbyterian minister, produced the show at Pittsburgh public television station WQED. The final new episode, which was taped in December 2000, aired in August 2001, though PBS affiliates continued to air back episodes.

Rogers composed his own songs for the show and began each episode in a set made to look like a comfortable living room, singing "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood," as he donned sneakers and a zip-up cardigan.

"I have really never considered myself a TV star," Rogers said in a 1995 interview. "I always thought I was a neighbor who just came in for a visit."

His message remained a simple one throughout the years, telling his viewers to love themselves and others. On each show, he would take his audience on a magical trolley ride into the Neighborhood of Make-Believe, where his puppet creations would interact with each other and adults.

Rogers did much of the puppet work and voices himself.

The show gained a wide audience among children and parents who appreciated its simple lessons and Rogers' soothing manner.

Rogers taught children how to share, how to deal with anger and even how not to fear the bathtub by assuring them they'll never go down the drain.

During the Persian Gulf War, Rogers told youngsters that "all children shall be well taken care of in this neighborhood and beyond - in times of war and in times of peace," and he asked parents to promise their children they would always be safe.

"We live in a world in which we need to share responsibility," he said in 1994. "It's easy to say 'It's not my child, not my community, not my world, not my problem.'

"Then there are those who see the need and respond. I consider those people my heroes."

Rogers came out of broadcasting retirement last year to record four public service announcements for the Public Broadcasting Service telling parents that children might be confused by the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks.

"They don't understand what an anniversary is, and if they see the tragedy replayed on television, they might think it's happening at that moment," he said.

The series remained popular through the years, including with children of baby boomers who watched the show growing up. Its ratings peaked in 1985-86 when approximately 8 percent of all U.S. households with televisions tuned in. By the 1999-2000 season, viewership had dropped to about 2.7 percent, or 3.6 million people.

One of Rogers' red sweaters hangs in the Smithsonian Institution.

As other children's programming opted for slick action cartoons, Rogers stayed the same and stuck to his message.

"It looks like nothing much happens," Hedda Sharapan, an associate producer with the show, said in 2001. "Listening has been one of the main focus points."

Rogers was born in Latrobe, 30 miles southeast of Pittsburgh. He was ordained as a Presbyterian minister in 1962 with a charge to continue his work with children and families through television.

He studied early childhood development at the University of Pittsburgh's graduate school and consulted for decades with the late Dr. Margaret McFarland, an eminent child development expert at the university. The show examined the tribulations of childhood, including anger, fear, even a visit to the dentist.

At a ceremony marking the 25th anniversary of the show in 1993, Rogers said, "It's not the honors and not the titles and not the power that is of ultimate importance. It's what resides inside."

Off the set, Rogers was much like his television persona. He swam daily, read voraciously and listened to Beethoven. He once volunteered at a state prison in Pittsburgh and helped set up a playroom there for children visiting their parents.

Rogers was an unseen puppeteer in "The Children's Corner," a local show he and Josie Carey launched at WQED in 1954. In seven years of unscripted, live television on the show, he developed many of the puppets used in "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood," including King Friday XIII, Daniel Striped Tiger and Curious X the Owl.

Rogers accepted an offer to develop his own 15-minute show in Canada. He brought the show, called "Misterogers," back to Pittsburgh and in February 1968 began its public broadcasting debut.

Rogers' gentle manner was the butt of some comedian's jokes. Eddie Murphy parodied him on "Saturday Night Live" in the 80's with his "Mister Robinson's Neighborhood," a routine Rogers found funny and affectionate.

Rogers is survived by his wife, Joanne, a concert pianist; two sons and two grandsons.
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 04:51 AM   #4
pepperland67
Dr. Robert

[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
pepperland67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 05:22 AM   #5
dav-here
Sun King

Send a message via Yahoo to dav-here

I just woke up and heard this on the radio. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I used to watch his show on PBS all the time... [img]graemlins/cry1.gif[/img]
dav-here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 05:43 AM   #6
Sgt.McCartney
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to Sgt.McCartney

It certainly ain't a beautiful day in the neighborhood. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Sgt.McCartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 06:25 AM   #7
EasternBird
Old Brown Shoe

Send a message via MSN to EasternBird

Aw, we'll miss you Mr. Rogers. [img]graemlins/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Thanks for making our childhood days a little more special.
EasternBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 06:58 AM   #8
RubberSoul
Rocky Raccoon

I still watch the show all the time. My mom woke me up this morning with the sad news. [img]graemlins/cry5.gif[/img] I'll never forget him! [img]graemlins/cry4.gif[/img]
RubberSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 07:37 AM   #9
Tim
Sgt. Pepper

Goodbye Mr. Rogers...
and when you get up there say hello to The Friendly Giant and Mr. Dress-Up for me

[img]graemlins/cry1.gif[/img] * [img]graemlins/cry2.gif[/img]
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 07:47 AM   #10
HeyBeatle
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HeyBeatle Send a message via MSN to HeyBeatle

Aww that's so sad. His show was one of my favorite shows when I was a little kid.
HeyBeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 07:48 AM   #11
Magill
Sun King

Awww...this is so sad. I just heard the news on the radio. Another legend has left us. Him and Jim Hensen were the best friends to millions of children everywhere. May he rest in peace. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Magill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 08:06 AM   #12
shyGirl
Sun King

I grew up watching him when I was little. Sad, sad day indeed. [img]graemlins/cry1.gif[/img]
shyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 09:35 AM   #13
Lynner

It's a sad day in the neighborhood. My son and I watch Mr. Rogers while we eat lunch. I grew up watching his show.
Sometimes reruns can be a very good thing. I'm glad that our local PBS continues to air his program.
May he rest in peace.
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 10:01 AM   #14
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] That's really sad news. The other teachers and I at work were upset over it this morning.
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 10:23 AM   #15
Savoy Truffle
Paperback Writer

Very sad news indeed! He was a lovely man and the last of his kind in children's programming.

And, Mr Rogers, you can say hi to Friendly And Mr Dressup for me too! [img]graemlins/heart2.gif[/img]
Savoy Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 03:59 PM   #16
unapplebonked
Wild Honey Pie

We'll miss you, Mr. Rogers! He was a great man. An ordained minister, too. It's also sad because it's another sign of children's programming declining.
unapplebonked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 08:25 PM   #17
Hari's Chick

He was such a sweet man. He takes a lot of love with him on his journey.
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 11:48 PM   #18
bearkat77
Administrator

Mister Rogers will be missed by all. He was a mainstay in children's programming. Rest In Peace.
bearkat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2003, 03:08 AM   #19
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Here's a follow-up article. If you go to these websites:

Mister Rogers' Neighborhood: http://pbskids.org/rogers

Family Communications: http://www.fci.org

...there is information about where you can send condolences. I'm thinking of doing so.

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/sto...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Feb 28, 4:50 AM EST

Nation Mourns Loss of TV's'Mr. Rogers'

By TODD SPANGLER
Associated Press Writer

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- From politicians and entertainers to parents and children, the nation mourned Fred Rogers as a trusted friend who helped raise generations of Americans that tuned into "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood."

Rogers died Thursday after a bout with stomach cancer at his Pittsburgh home at 74.

"In real life as in the Neighborhood, Mr. Rogers was an extraordinary man," cellist and Neighborhood guest Yo-Yo Ma said. "Through music and stories, his caring and wisdom transcended every barrier; his advocacy for children was truly an advocacy for the human race."

Rogers' low-key, low-tech public television show was in sharp contrast to the louder, more animated competition. It presented Rogers as one adult in an increasingly busy world who always had time to listen to children.

An ordained Presbyterian minister, Rogers produced the show at Pittsburgh public television station WQED beginning in 1966, going national two years later. The final episode was taped in December 2000 and aired in August 2001, though PBS affiliates continued to broadcast old episodes.

The show's ratings peaked in 1985-86 when about 8 percent of all U.S. households with televisions tuned in. By the 1999-2000 season, viewership had dropped to about 2.7 percent, or 3.6 million people.

The show won four Emmys, and Rogers won another for lifetime achievement. He received a Peabody Award in 1993 and the Presidential Medal of Freedom in July 2002.

Rogers opened each episode in a set made to look like a comfortable living room, singing, "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood." He composed his own songs for the show.

One of his trademark zip-up sweaters hangs in the Smithsonian Institution.

"Today, our state has lost a great role model and our country has lost one of history's greatest teachers," Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell.

Former first lady Barbara Bush noted several generations of children, "including our own, grew up with Mr. Rogers, always looking forward to time spent in his neighborhood.

"In addition to helping children learn everything from how to tie their shoes to appreciating jazz music, he also taught his young viewers the importance of sharing, being truthful and good manners. And he stressed the importance of reading and writing, for which he'll always be one of my heroes."

In April 2002, President Bush invited Rogers to help launch a reading program. When Rogers entered the room with no introduction, spontaneous applause erupted.

"What a loss to the world. He talked to kids at the ages of 4 to 6 about feelings. That's the age when they begin to realize they have an effect on their world," said Dr. T. Berry Brazelton, an author and child development specialist.

In his show, Rogers would talk to viewers in a slow, quiet voice and introduce them to other characters and to guests such as Ma and trumpeter Wynton Marsalis. Then he would take his audience on a magical trolley ride into the Neighborhood of Make-Believe, where puppet creations - including X the Owl, King Friday XIII and Daniel Striped Tiger - would interact with each other and adults.

Rogers did much of the puppet work on his show.

"He was not an actor. People would ask us, 'What is Mr. Rogers really like?' The thing was, he was the same," said family spokesman David Newell, who played Mr. McFeely on the show.

Bob Keeshan, who appeared on television as "Captain Kangaroo," said he and Rogers often spoke of how children's programming had become increasingly violent.

"I don't think it's any secret that Fred and I were not very happy with the way children's television had gone," Keeshan said.

But Rogers never stopped trying to make a difference. He came out of broadcasting retirement last year to record public service announcements telling parents how to help children deal with the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks.

In January, Rogers served as a grand marshal of the Rose Parade with Bill Cosby and Art Linkletter. "More times than I could count I heard the people yelling, 'Welcome to the neighborhood, Mr. Rogers,'" Cosby said.

Rogers was diagnosed with cancer last December and had surgery in early January, but his health declined in the past two weeks, said Bill Isler, head of Family Communications. Funeral arrangements were incomplete, but Isler said a private service for the family and a public memorial would be scheduled soon.
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2003, 06:37 AM   #20
Hari's Chick

Here is a nice article...and the site is honoring him as well. It's called "A Prayer for Mr Rodgers".
http://www.beliefnet.com/frameset.as...&boardID=23298

I remember a story where a boy had to go into a cat scan machine and was very frightened..a little boy. His Mom said he would only be in the dark for two minutes. The little boy didn't know how long that was and stayed afraid. So she said...sing the theme for Mr Rodgers show in your head...by the time you finish singing it, you will finished with the test~~~ and the boy wasn't scared and more.
This was a story Mr Rodgers himself told when he was asked why he continued to do the show after so many, mnay years. He said because of rewards like being able to help in these ways. Sweet, sweet man...
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote