BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Sep 04, 2003, 09:39 PM   #1
shyGirl
Sun King

Default Paul McCartney Chewed Carrots For Super Furry Animals

http://www.undercover.com.au/news/20...mccartney.html

If you get enough drinks in you, you'll have the most ridiculous requests. For Super Furry Animals, a few too many lead to a session with Sir Paul McCartney.

This is what happened. "After a few drinks our keyboard player Cian (Ciaran) went up to Sir Paul McCartney and persuaded him to let us remix The Beatles" SFA frontman Gruff Rhyss tells Undercover News. "He doesn't remember much about it but a few weeks later a few boxes of Beatles masters turned up at out office so we made a 20 minute piece of music. It was released as the Liverpool Sound Collage".

Gruff doesn't describe himself as a huge Beatle fan. "We are not obsessive. I started getting into The Beatles when John Lennon was shot" he says. "I was a kid and they started showing all The Beatles movies of tele. That is when I got into The Beatles. They were incredible melody makers. We have a shared passion of melodic music".

The SFA / McCartney session happened because of a spur of the moment impulse. "Cian cornered him coming out of the toilet and said "let me remix your stuff because it will be the best remix you've ever heard in your life". Cian is usually a quiet guy and doesn't boast like that but Paul McCartney brought the devil out in him. Next thing McCartney is standing around" he says.

Gruff will be able to use this story as a dinner party conversation starter for the rest of his life. "It was one of the most unlikely things to ever happen" he says. "I think the reason to put a band together is to have an adventure and have tall tales to tell people but we never expected anything like that".

After finishing the session for McCartney, Super Furry Animals invited Sir Paul to record for them. "Seeing we had access to Paul McCartney we asked him to return the favour for out last album" he says. "We wanted him to recreate vegetable munching which he did on the song 'Vegetables' by the Beach Boys. We got him in to chew some carrots and some celery. It was on our last album 'Rings Around The World' on the track 'Receptacle for the Respectable'".

On the new Super Furry Animals album Phantom Power there is no sign of McCartney but hey, it's a great old story anyway.
shyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 05, 2003, 10:08 AM   #2
onosideboards
Taxman

Default Re: Paul McCartney Chewed Carrots For Super Furry Animals

paul and his veggies...isn't there an almost identical story involving a beach boys song?

i've been trying to think og the title of "liverpool sound collage" for ages now. is that the album with "free now," which was credited to all the beatles?
onosideboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2003, 07:45 AM   #3
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By onosideboards:
paul and his veggies...isn't there an almost identical story involving a beach boys song?

i've been trying to think og the title of "liverpool sound collage" for ages now. is that the album with "free now," which was credited to all the beatles?
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">That's the one, it has different sound clips of the Beatles in the studio among ohters the rehearsal tapes for "Think For Yourself" familiar to bootleg colectiors but not to the more casual fan. As for the Beach Boys song, the article mentiones the song Vegtables.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2003, 07:46 AM   #4
Legs
Sun King

How did I end up on an old topic?
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 10:16 AM   #5
onosideboards
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted By Legs:
How did I end up on an old topic?
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">good question. when i first saw it again i was like, "oh, not AGAIN."

i also kept meaning to post a topic about how the clips from Free Now were from the Think for Yourself sessions. taken care of now i guess...
onosideboards is offline   Reply With Quote