BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Closed Thread

Old Jul 06, 2003, 12:10 AM   #1
bearkat77
Administrator

Default Paul Song of the Day - Part II

As the last thread suggested, "London Town" is the song we'll look at now. Originally two different songs, blended together as Paul has done so often, you can notice how the song changes direction about two-thirds of the way through it.

Still it is a nice number that can easliy be compared to "Penny Lane".

London Town

Walking down the sidewalk on a purple afternoon,
I was accosted by a barker, playing a simple tune
Upon his flute, toot toot toot toot.
Silver rain was falling down
Upon the dirty ground of London town.

People pass me by on my imaginary street,
Ordinary people it's impossible to meet.
Holding conversations that are always incomplete.
Well, I don't know.
Oh, where are there places to go?
Someone, somewhere has to know,
I don't know.

Out of work again, the actor entertains his wife
With the same old stories of his ordinary life.
Maybe he exaggerates the trouble and the strife,
Well, I don't know.
Oh, where are there places to go?
Someone, somewhere has to know.

Crawling down the pavement on a Sunday afternoon,
I was arrested by a rozzer, wearing a pink balloon
About his foot, toot toot toot toot.

Ooh.

Someone, somewhere has to know,
Old Jul 06, 2003, 12:46 AM   #2
Johnna Lynn
Mr. Moonlight

Default Re: Paul Song of the Day - Part II

I don't see Laine/McCartney as a collaberation, no matter the credits on the album. i feel Paul saw him as a helper of his own definition. I'm not even sure Paul liked Laine as a person. What do you think?

--------------------
Each problem that I have solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems.

[size="1"][ Jul 06, 2003, 12:48 AM: Message Edited By: Johnna Lynn ][/size]
Old Jul 06, 2003, 10:43 AM   #3
darkhorse
Sun King

If the track says "McCartney/Laine" it's indeed a McCartney/Laine composition. Although I really feel that, in this album, "Deliver Your Children" and "Children Children" are the real Laine compositions, mostly because he sings them. Here he does heavy harmonization, but I do believe he contributed to the music. And I also think Paul liked him... why would you keep in your band a guy that you completely dislike? And let him write songs in an album that you practically own? He surely recognized talent, and Laine sure had some of it... London Town, in my opinion, is his best album in Wings.

And FPSHOT; that was a lovely description of London, the Town as represented in "London Town", the song and the album... Wouldn't you mind posting it here again (I still don't get why the other topic got closed)? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old Jul 06, 2003, 10:47 AM   #4
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted By darkhorse:
(I still don't get why the other topic got closed)? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Generally once a topic reaches 10 pages, the mods close it and start a new one. I'm not sure of the technicalities, but somehow it's too long and unwieldy??

I like this song - but I LOVE the goofy video.

As far as Denny Laine, I'm not personally terribly impressed with him - a friend of mine worked with him last year and introduced me to him and he seemed kind of full of himself. But he did add a lot to the Wings lineups and I appreciate his contributions.
Old Jul 06, 2003, 07:03 PM   #5
Cecilia
Old Brown Shoe

I've never seen the video, but certainly I love the song! Good choice [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old Jul 06, 2003, 07:53 PM   #6
Lynner

The video is silly and the song is lovely. Good choice!
Old Jul 07, 2003, 12:47 AM   #7
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
And FPSHOT; that was a lovely description of London, the Town as represented in "London Town", the song and the album... Wouldn't you mind posting it here again (I still don't get why the other topic got closed)? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Look below.

As to Denny Laine ; Deliver Your Children to me is a fantastic part of this album.

Paul was very critical on his band members which we can see from the many changes. So I would say they got along fine and wasn't there also some joined things between their both wives? I remember having seen something like that.

He and Danny made some of the best (to me) albums in Paul's solo catalogue.

The London version of Penny Lane - Absolutely !!

Fanfastic song of one of my favorite albums of Paul.

I am in London quite often and each time I play this song, I feel like being there again.

Actually it does not rain that much in London as the world is made to believe, but the atmosphere of this song puts you in a september afternoon with an umbrella. Or just at home by the fire place thinking of your last London visit.

Sometimes people call albums a 'concept album' or an 'opera' and here is a good example. Take the album cover and see the Tower Bridge. Then take 'cafe on the left bank' and really on the left bank just across Tower Bridge there is a rather new area with many cafe's, former storage/shipment buildings.

But also this tittle song is a combination of many small parts which Paul often uses to create a song, like also e.g. 10CC did on their first albums. I also feel that 'With A Little Luck' could have been part 2 of this song, it has a lot in common.

The beginning of the song is yes the introduction of various keyboards and even the drums somehow seem to be not the real kits throughout the song.

What I like a lot is the harmony vocals and anyone doubting Lovey Linda's vocal qualities, just have a listen.

There is even some Beach Boys harmonies just before the Denny Laine guitar solo

It is a McCartney/Laine composition and I wonder which part was Denny's.

Only part wher I would rush to get a cup of tea is the 20 seconds lasting guitar fun with the uplifted drums tempo, it sounds like a mess to me in this relaxed song and impo should not have been included.

A great song of a great album.
Old Jul 07, 2003, 10:35 AM   #8
bluemaryryan
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to bluemaryryan Send a message via MSN to bluemaryryan Send a message via Yahoo to bluemaryryan

Nice song Kat !!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old Jul 07, 2003, 11:22 AM   #9
Legs
Sun King

FPSHOT has described it very well, it's also how I feel about the song, everything even till the part where he would rush to get a cup of tea, with the messy guitars, I agree with a 100 %.
Old Jul 07, 2003, 11:45 AM   #10
darkhorse
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By FPSHOT:
Only part wher I would rush to get a cup of tea is the 20 seconds lasting guitar fun with the uplifted drums tempo, it sounds like a mess to me in this relaxed song and impo should not have been included.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">You are just brilliant. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I find this very same little... quirk? mistake? trick? used in "No More Lonely Nights", when a heavy rock guitar is used as and ending, kind of a totally different song. It's kind of a trademark, I suppose. I like it in "London Town" but I think it's a mistake to include it in "No More Lonely Nights", so it's, as you see, a very subjective matter.

I loved your description of London. For someone who hasn't been there, then, the song kind of fits the 'real' London, doesn't it.

I think I'll go have a listen to that album again. I've never liked it that much because of songs like "Don't Let It Bring You Down", "Morse Moose" and even "I've Had Enough"... but I might give it another chance.

Oh, and yes, Denny Laine surely helped in the sound of Wings. I think he was also a key member, perhaps more important to the sound of the band than the Lovely Linda herself. Even though she did do some precious harmonies too.
Old Jul 07, 2003, 11:55 AM   #11
Rellevart

Quote:
I think I'll go have a listen to that album again. I've never liked it that much because of songs like "Don't Let It Bring You Down", "Morse Moose" and even "I've Had Enough"... but I might give it another chance.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Ok, I agree with you (NO???? REALLY????) on the first two there, but I like "I've Had Enough"! It's kind of mindless and cheesy, but hey, this WAS the late 70's. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old Jul 07, 2003, 11:59 AM   #12
darkhorse
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By Rellevart:
Ok, I agree with you (NO???? REALLY????)
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]

What happens with "I've Had Enough" is that it really depends on the day. There are days when I even dance to the blessed thing, and I'm not a very dance-y (hey, I can make up adjectives too! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) person myself. It's indeed a cool rocker, but I don't feel that it's in the same level of other songs in the album. But then again I love "With A Little Luck" and I know you hate it! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Quote:
but hey, this WAS the late 70's. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">So I should assume that this was a time to totally forget? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old Jul 07, 2003, 07:50 PM   #13
darkhorse
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By Rellevart:
"Disco Duck". I can say no more. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">That was really scary to imagine.

Beside the "oddity" of "Morse Moose" I think the album is pretty normal, a rock/folk album, which I strongly like. Although there are some things in disco music that I don't dislike that much either...

But still, "disco duck" sounds scary.
Old Jul 08, 2003, 12:03 AM   #14
Rellevart

Quote:
So I should assume that this was a time to totally forget? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">"Disco Duck". I can say no more. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old Jul 08, 2003, 12:45 AM   #15
FPSHOT
Sun King

Oh my, this must be *Breaking News*.

Me, promoting a Paul solo album and really getting people enthousiastic about it.

I can write London stories like in a novell, there is so much to tell...maybe I should become a writer after all.

However for this song, I'm glad some of my dear buddies agree to 'London Town'
Old Jul 08, 2003, 11:00 AM   #16
Cecilia
Old Brown Shoe

Hey, I have that song...it's not that bad...Donald Duck sings in it [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

May I suggest another song? "The Lovers That Never Were" surprised me the first time I listened to it. I think it's very underrated, along with the OTG album. Just pay attention at the lyrics and the music in this one, and you'll find an amazing song [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ Jul 08, 2003, 11:01 AM: Message Edited By: Cecilia ][/size]
Old Jul 08, 2003, 11:12 AM   #17
Rellevart

Oh, GREAT choice! I love that song. The vocal is wonderful (the way he sings "Say GOODbye or ANYthing"....passionate performance!), the lyrics are great and the music is interesting, even that weird BOOMING in the middle bits.

If you've ever wanted anybody who you can't have, you MUST hear this song.
Old Jul 08, 2003, 07:49 PM   #18
darkhorse
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By Cecilia:
Hey, I have that song...it's not that bad...Donald Duck sings in it [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Since when is that a tautology? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

"The Lovers That Never Were"... good song, really. I'll have to pay more attention to it, but I do remember the stress in the vocals that Rellevart mentions. Was this written with Elvis Costello, too? The man could bring the best stuff from Paul, surely, like he did in "Back On My Feet", "My Brave Face" and other tunes from Flowers In The Dirt. I have to agree this song is underrated. Good choice, sweetheart. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old Jul 08, 2003, 08:20 PM   #19
Cecilia
Old Brown Shoe

[quote]Originally Posted By darkhorse:
Quote:
Since when is that a tautology? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Since *I* say so [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old Jul 08, 2003, 10:35 PM   #20
BeatleChick
Sgt. Pepper

Oh I just love "The Lovers That Never Were"! I LOVE the way that he sings it! It just--gets to me! And it makes me think of our Paulie every time...and how hard he is to obtain!
[img]graemlins/cry2.gif[/img]

BTW--I agree with you Rell--I LOVE the way he sings that line "Say GOODbye or ANYthing".... that's one of the best bits!!! Great choice girls!!!
Closed Thread