BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Jul 10, 2003, 02:31 AM   #1
taxman
Taxman

Default Best surprise as a Beatles fan?

So, what was the best surprise you had as a Beatles fan in recent times?

Mine was seeing the "1" CD wenting straight to number 1 in Portugal, and staying there for 5 weeks.

It was really a great surprise my country being one of the 32 where the CD reached the top spot, especially because previous releases didn´t do so well, the best beeing Anthology 2 at number 4.

I remember that, in that weeks, the TV chart show played the videos of Help! (twice), Get Back (also twice) and Penny Lane, it was nice to the see the Beatles on TV so often, it doesn´t happen a lot, believe me.

[size="1"][ Jul 10, 2003, 03:33 AM: Message Edited By: taxman ][/size]
taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 02:39 AM   #2
chaitanya
Sgt. Pepper

Default Re: Best surprise as a Beatles fan?

Watching 'Back to the world' tour on digital TV
[img]graemlins/bouncing2.gif[/img] *and the fact Sir Paul stayed in Rome,so TV's magazines broadcast a lot of Beatles story .... [img]graemlins/bouncing2.gif[/img]
chaitanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 03:13 AM   #3
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

I always get a good surprise when I manage to buy a rare Beatles record for an amazingly low sum. I know - I'm boring.
Harb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 03:15 AM   #4
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

Oh! Another big surprise I recently got was when I was scrolling through a Beatles autograph page and a George Harrison one came out that was a rushed one from 1992 - and it looks identical to my rushed 1992 George Harrison on - therefore confirming 100% that it is authentic [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Harb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 04:47 AM   #5
Danoota64
Wild Honey Pie

I was given a DVD player by my ex-boss, who was moving back to his home country of Singapore. He did not give me the connecty cords i needed, so i figured i could buy them at Target or whatever, but i'd have to wait till after xmas.
On January 5th of this year, my friend Paulie called and asked if he could pop by so he could drop off a little present, as he was gonna be in the area. we had already agreed to not exchange presents, but i said ok.
i answered the door in my jammies and he hands me the cords i needed for the DVD player! And before i could even exhale, from the other hand comes the DVD of "A Hard Day's Night!!!!" I was so touched! Obviously, he knew how much this meant to me. And this was my first DVD!
i'll never forget that. What a great surprise.

[img]graemlins/peace.gif[/img]
Danoota64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 07:28 AM   #6
LuvLennon
Wild Honey Pie

When my sister got me the AHDN dvd for Christmas I was so surprised...firstly because we don't have a dvd player, and secondly because she had always been sympathetic when I moaned about seeing in all the stores.

Lucky for me my Aunt and Uncle who live about 20 minutes from me when I'm at school have one, I ended up watching the Anthology straight thru the night til 4 in the morning when I bought it, cause I was visiting for the weekend, and didn't want to appear anti-social by sitting in front of the tv all day!
LuvLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 07:49 AM   #7
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

There is this Beatle cover band in my town and they are GOOD! For three years in a row they have received Best Local Band awards and have been featured on the local news. I am an avid attendee at their free shows.

In September, my natural mother met the acoustic guitarist at a museum I had taken her to. I was DELIGHTED (and bowled over) when she said (and I quote her verbatim), "The Beatles WERE good. They really were. I like Paul and I like his music. I've heard a lot about your band and how teriffic you are." It is so rare hearing her endorse matters Beatle because she's lived with Beatle mania in the household for years. I loved that and you could knock me over with a feather.

I also loved it when I caught her singing "Can't Buy Me Love" and she even admitted loving that song since Paul McCartney rocked the world with it in 1964! (Paul is her favorite Beatle).
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 03:57 PM   #8
mccartneymaniac
Dr. Robert

the best surprise i think is how much peopel love them and the music and how it has transcended into 2nd and 3rd generations of fans, and they ask you if you saw them and how it was etc.i think it amazes me that still they are so loved by so many.second i think in 1990 i saw paul up close his limo went right by and his window was open, and he waved and smiled at me.that was so great.
mccartneymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 04:53 PM   #9
jad2k1
Apple Scruff

when i found out ringo would be signing in new york earlier this year. im glad that people who have accomplished as much as they have still do signings. it was the 1st beatle i met and my 1st beatle autograph!
jad2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 07:41 PM   #10
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

Well, one of the best Beatle surprises I ever got (in a literal sense) was waking up, going into the living room on Christmas morning when I was about 14 years old, and finding 4 Beatles for me next to the Xmas tree. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Okay, so they were made out of cardboard--my parents had somehow gotten a hold of the big red phone-booth-type floor display for those Beatle trading cards that came out about 10 years ago and gave it to me as a Christmas gift. I had NO idea I was receiving that, and usually I had some kind of clue as to what my 'big' Xmas gift would be each year.
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 08:43 PM   #11
leonardobeat
Dr. Robert

Send a message via MSN to leonardobeat

When Paul McCartney performed in Mexico city the last year I couldn't get tickets so I went to his hotel the day of his second concert hoping to see him and I did, from a long distance but I did [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

He said loudly: Hello Mexico! and everybody who was in the street waiting for see him started to scream out hehe.
leonardobeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 10:15 PM   #12
Ahcri Slate
Apple Scruff

I've had many surprises since I started being a beatles fan, but here are my favourites:

When My parents took me to the Liverpool pub; It's a bar almost entirely inspired by the beatles! and the band Help! plays there everyday, and that's my favourite tribute band.

The other one was when there was a Beatlefest here in Mexico and I went there with my family. It was very little, but so awesome, I thought I was gonna faint! and Help! also played there.
Ahcri Slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2003, 11:04 PM   #13
SgtPepper2107
Wild Honey Pie

The other day I was talking to my mom on the porch and my dad was bringing some stuff in from the car and my mom told me to go look.When I went to look my dad pulled a bag out and when I looked in the bag I saw that they had got me the Beatles Anthology for my birthday!
SgtPepper2107 is offline   Reply With Quote