BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:45 PM   #61
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
I cannot find anything funny at all when it comes to Hurricane Katrina.
..nor can I. My remark has nothing to do with the disaster. You say this West person has said some wise things and then this about Bush is his most famous one, well anyone around the corner can say that and probably has.

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:34 PM   #62
Serena

If he is too notorious for his comments against Bush, that really does seem like a problem with the media trying distort his image a bit as he was recently complaining about, for he is not the only celebrity to make such remarks. However, there is a time and a place for certain opinions to be expressed. Unfortunately freedom of expression is not free and it usually comes at the expense of exasperated responses and lack of respect from others. But then again expression just as well is meant disregard what others think regardless of time for the sake of individuality, which really does appear as refreshing. The people can choose not be bothered by such statements, but it is natural to care what other people think. This is why I admire him for once being different and my concurrence holds no place. The world really needs more of this.

Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 01:59 AM   #63
FPSHOT
Sun King

If Kanye West is such an intelligent man then I would expect more of him than the most famous words according to HC - no offense - which do not impress me in any way.

However.... there is a difference between the US and Europe.

Out here we are in many countries used to say things in the open so therefore I do understand that what West said in the open will have come as a surprise/shock within the USA where people often only say what they think behind closed doors only.

So "The world needs more people like this" does not hold for me because I believe it's a US novilty only that someone expresses an opinion in public. At the same time he also has made a fool of himself a few times so where is the balance?

So, good for Kayne West to express himself however as said, his comment would not impress many people in this region of the world because the same kind of words have been published about actions or non-actions from Bush in more than just the Katrina disaster.

His new album is considered to be a Masterpiece and I have heard samples from it. It's good for a night out but not my music still he impresses many, yet I think just like with Snoopy Dog and Eminem it will fade away probably after a few years.

Old Nov 26, 2010, 03:20 AM   #64
hibgal
Sun King

I've got Kanye West pegged in my mind now. (I'm terrible with names) He's the guy whom, during some award show or another, stormed the stage to rip the prize and the mic from the winner, and went on to give a speech that he was going to give it to somebody else who deserved it more. Such obnoxious actions wouldn't be condoned in a three year old, let alone a grown man, whomever he is. If John Lennon had done it I wouldn't have liked it any better. Also, because of behavior like that, and believe me, he'll never live down that incident, it makes it hard to take anything he says seriously, regardless of how appropriate it may be.

I agree in the main with FP here. I can't see what Kanye has said is so revolutionary and the Bush comment is such as others made at the time too, nor do I think he's right. Condoleezza Rice and Colin Powell, anyone? Although people into hip-hop are familiar with him in Europe, for the rest of us he's just another name in the news, if that.

Good luck to him though and to Coldplay. If this world goes on as it does, sometime somebody will be bigger than The Beatles. Better get a word in early about it, to point proudly at, to forever be the first predicting that happening!

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 03:24 AM   #65
Serena

More negative comments about Bush/Katrina have been published from other people within the US so I don't understand why he is getting dumped on more about it. Celebrities here tend to run their mouths often about politics and get trampled on by the media when their opinions induce a collision and drift away from their regular work. They then lose respect as entertainers as well for trying to be 'brainless' commentators on their wave of expression. Unfortunately it is all really a lose/lose situation even for trying to be individual and expressive because even freedom will cost you. I suppose the 'smartest' thing to do is to simply just abstain from ever speaking outside of their work, but it's still unfair.

Yes America still has its head far up the ass of relentless and unmitigated censorship for the sake of political correctness, light years behind the rest of the world. This is why any sort of commentary comes as such a culture shock because society is afraid of falling out as fans if they have a difference in views especially in the sensitive subjects of politics and religion.

But intelligence goes much further than just what you say, where West stands on it for me is difficult to say since I still don't know him or his music very well. Really from the start, I could not care less about what he said about anything and I never thought anymore or less of him for it. I will just respect opinions. But it is the ridiculous and agitated reactions from his words and just in general from any conflicting remark that continues to set America back several hundred years and sort of puts a different prospective of West for me since he seems to be one of the few celebrities in this country than will securely speak his mind. Then again, agitation from the people is also a way of expression so no matter what a riot seems to be unavoidable. 'Agreeing to disagree' does not seem to apply here much. America is still not ready to make such a leap of progression just yet.

Old Nov 26, 2010, 03:54 AM   #66
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
More negative comments about Bush/Katrina have been published from other people within the US so I don't understand why he is getting dumped on more about it. Celebrities here tend to run their mouths often about politics and get trampled on by the media when their opinions induce a collision and drift away from their regular work. They then lose respect as entertainers as well for trying to be 'brainless' commentators on their wave of expression.
That's a sad commentary to freedom of speech indeed. When I grew up in the 60s and 70s, entertainers expressing political ideas was the norm rather than the exception. Musicians in particular considered they had a moral duty to enlighten the general populace to social and political issues. Prog rock was a music style of the time as was protest singers and even those not into that would still be considered politically outspoken today. In fact, musicians and writers during all ages have used music as a means to spread thoughts and ideas, no exam necessary. Why anyone would think different today is baffling, I agree.

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Nov 26, 2010, 04:09 AM   #67
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
More negative comments about Bush/Katrina have been published from other people within the US so I don't understand why he is getting dumped on more about it.
At the time, as always, Europe was following the updates about this Katrina disaster so also in the media comments were made about why Bush did not go there. Wasn't he on his ranch?

So many publicists had their comments about the lack of interest from the Bush Administration which I think did not have to do so much with the colour of a lot of - but not only - the people who live there which I think is a strange comment in general and in my opinion is more a dumb statement than a 'famous' one so why West is so supported for such a statement is a mistery to me.

And how he can compare Coldplay to The Beatles is even more rediculous. I wonder if he knows more than 10 Beatles songs.

Old Nov 26, 2010, 06:22 AM   #68
Ketman
Apple Scruff

I don't know why people are so bothered. Every few years someone says this act or that act is (or will be) greater than the Beatles. I'm old enough to remember them all. Starting with the Monkees, the Beatles have seen them all off one by one. A band brings out an album that outsells Sergeant Pepper, but five years later no one is buying it, while Pepper goes on and on and on.... The Spice Girls outsold the Beatles during three years or so, but who would buy their stuff now? I would take Kanye West's remark as an acknowledgement that the Beatles are the benchmark. He got that much right, anyway.
Ketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 09:23 AM   #69
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
So many publicists had their comments about the lack of interest from the Bush Administration which I think did not have to do so much with the colour of a lot of - but not only - the people who live there which I think is a strange comment in general and in my opinion is more a dumb statement than a 'famous' one so why West is so supported for such a statement is a mistery to me.
There were a lot of raw and honest emotions which were being felt. I certainly disagree with these emotions being called "dumb." A lot of feelings come out in such a sad situation as Hurricane Katrina, and I think all should be able to be vetted verbally. Speaking out can be part of the healing process from a sad, sad situation.

Last edited by Hari's Chick : Nov 26, 2010 at 09:38 AM.
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 09:56 AM   #70
VersusBatman
Sun King

Quote:
I've got Kanye West pegged in my mind now. (I'm terrible with names) He's the guy whom, during some award show or another, stormed the stage to rip the prize and the mic from the winner, and went on to give a speech that he was going to give it to somebody else who deserved it more. Such obnoxious actions wouldn't be condoned in a three year old, let alone a grown man, whomever he is. If John Lennon had done it I wouldn't have liked it any better. Also, because of behavior like that, and believe me, he'll never live down that incident, it makes it hard to take anything he says seriously, regardless of how appropriate it may be.
I completely agree. I abhor childish behavior in adults no matter who they are.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:55 AM   #71
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
Speaking out can be part of the healing process from a sad, sad situation.
Sure but one like from West to be considered the best he ever did looking at those words is just a bit... simple?

Old Nov 26, 2010, 02:54 PM   #72
kmac
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
Sure but one like from West to be considered the best he ever did looking at those words is just a bit... simple?
No one in this thread has suggested that Kayne's infamous Katrina comments was the "best he ever did", least of all, HC.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 03:27 PM   #73
kmac
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Now we all know that Kanye West isn't short of opinions, but this might be his most outlandish claim yet. In a recent interview with British tabloid the Sun, the R&B star began on fairly safe ground by stating, "America has, and probably always will, dominate music across the globe but it's always been the British who pull out that very special band.
I think this is a very interesting talking point that will likely lead to endless debate - good thing since this is a music forum :).

The USA certainly seem to drive worldwide sales and have for a long while - I am sure someone will be quick to correct me whether true or not. But, it is these very influential and "special" artists that can arguably be singled out for their esteemed work : Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Who, Black Sabbath, David Bowe, Queen, Clash, Radiohead, Kinks, Cream, Elvis Costello, Cure... Madonna she's British right? :P .
Old Nov 26, 2010, 04:00 PM   #74
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac View Post
I think this is a very interesting talking point that will likely lead to endless debate - good thing since this is a music forum :).

The USA certainly seem to drive worldwide sales and have for a long while - I am sure someone will be quick to correct me whether true or not. But, it is these very influential and "special" artists that can arguably be singled out for their esteemed work : Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Who, Black Sabbath, David Bowe, Queen, Clash, Radiohead, Kinks, Cream, Elvis Costello, Cure... Madonna she's British right? :P .
So Kanye didn't even get that right? Poor guy!

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Nov 26, 2010, 04:05 PM   #75
kmac
Old Brown Shoe

Wha???
Old Nov 26, 2010, 04:41 PM   #76
PepperlandFrog
Banned

what stereotypical namby-pamby "cornfed" rubbish. kayne west, he's the guy that goes parading about in these horribly cruel and sadistic fur coats and says these outrageous, dumb, oxymoronic and self-righteous things. there's nothing profound about him, his music, or anything he says or does.

Last edited by PepperlandFrog : Nov 26, 2010 at 04:45 PM.
PepperlandFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 05:54 PM   #77
bobdude
Dr. Robert

There's a saying that "Any publicity is good publicity". Kanye has everybody eating right out of his hand. If I say outrageous things, I garner publicity, if I wear outlandish clothes, I get publicity, if I steal the limelight from a little girl, I get publicity, if I call the President a racist, I get WAY more publicity. Oh yeah, whooooooo heeeeeee, some other band is better than the Beatles, I know I'm gonna get publicity for that one! "Kanye,(speaking in third person) don't do the Today Show" because Matt Lauer dissed me. Hey, more publicity! See the pattern..... The man is a fame whore. He does whatever he needs to do to stay in the spotlight. Make the people talk. As long as people keep paying attention to him, he'll keep on doing what he's doing. Sounds like a few other "celebrities" I'm sure we all can name a few! How much impact does Kanye West have on your life?
Old Nov 26, 2010, 07:02 PM   #78
Serena

That's just it, if the people are so fed up with him trying to accumulate the spotlight, then they need to stop giving him spotlight. It is the public and media's fault for making him look so awesomely bad or good. He can cleverly regain fame by saying intelligently 'simple' remarks because it is that simple. If the people really want him to go away, than he should be ignored. But cutting him down calling him a talentless idiot and so forth is not ignoring him, it will cause him to say further comments to try to win respect back. But it should be possible for anyone including celebrities to give their humble and maybe very contradicting opinions without causing a riot. So long as people continue to let it affect them, he will continue to have the impact on them they really don't want.

Old Nov 26, 2010, 07:35 PM   #79
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

Im not really a fan of Kanye West or his music but i did see him live once, opening for U2 a few years ago and he put on a good show..Just saw U2 again the other night and Jay Z opened..they must have a thing about popular black rappers opening for them :P..but there has been almost as much buzz about Jay Z from people and media as U2..

Still mad props to Kayne calling out Bush and saying what he said..FPSHOT and maybe some others maybe dont understand the outrage that caused amongst conservative media and some people in the US..this was at a time when Bush was still very popular and highly regarded..(why? i dont know!) Americans seem to have a tendency to rally around the president especially in times of tragedy and support him almsot completly - of course im generalising but it is evident at 9/11 and also the intial katrina disaster..

The mere fact even now Bush referers to Kanye's comment as the "lowest point in his presidency" and it still angers him so much really impresses me..he really hurt him where it hurts and that proves to me theres some truth in what he said..he got to him and said what no one else in such a platform dared to

as for "better than the beatles" thats his opinion, something i find funny but you have to remeber hes good friends with Chris Martin and hes even been on his album so hes trying to get good publicity for hima dn his mate - and hes done it..we are all talking about it arent we..

A real funny moment was when Vince Gill was presented with a Grammy by Ringo and he remarked "wow im getting award from a BEATLE! suck on that Kanye!" or something like that..and Kanye was laughing haha

"take me to the river, drop me in the water..."
- David Byrne
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 08:14 PM   #80
AeolianCadence
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketman View Post
I don't know why people are so bothered. Every few years someone says this act or that act is (or will be) greater than the Beatles. I'm old enough to remember them all. Starting with the Monkees, the Beatles have seen them all off one by one. A band brings out an album that outsells Sergeant Pepper, but five years later no one is buying it, while Pepper goes on and on and on.... The Spice Girls outsold the Beatles during three years or so, but who would buy their stuff now? I would take Kanye West's remark as an acknowledgement that the Beatles are the benchmark. He got that much right, anyway.
I agree with you. Kanye West is very good at what he does, though it isn't my thing at all; I also quite enjoy Coldplay. But the Beatles are the benchmark. I don't believe anyone will ever surpass them.
AeolianCadence is offline   Reply With Quote