BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products



Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:24 AM   #41
FPSHOT
Sun King
 
FPSHOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 04, 2000
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 31,563



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac View Post

but he also is a very opinionated man who has said some pretty stupid things in public.
no doubt, although I would not know one
__________________
"Everyone should have themselves regularly overwhelmed by Nature"
- George Harrison


FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:26 AM   #42
hibgal
Sun King
 
hibgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 01, 2006
Posts: 26,650



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
So he collaborated with an artist and gave high appraisal to them as he got to know their music with more intimacy. I don't think him or Coldplay need that much more promotion.
Oh, I don't know. Maybe Coldplay don't but he sure does since several of us here know nothing about him! As well, you couldn't live through the 60s and be unaware of The Beatles, whether you were into music (note, not just that type of music) or not, while it's perfectly possible to go through life now and know nothing about Coldplay. I know about them because a friend brought them to my attention, not because they're so big it's impossible to escape them.

Quote:
This is not the first well-known artist he has collaborated with either, I have never heard him give a 'better than the Beatles' remark to anyone else, although that does not mean he hasn't. But that is still a high compliment to Coldplay and their fans as well. Tough call for Beatle fans though, oh well.
I'm probably as cynical as whomever wrote the article because I don't think it's as much a compliment to Coldplay as it's a compliment to himself to have a member of a band he obviously admire collaborating with him! Reflected glory, you know? Maybe I'd be less cynical about it if he wasn't promoting the album where the collaboration takes place. Sorry. I guess we'll have to disagree on this one.
__________________



Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:28 AM   #43
Serena
Moderator
 
Serena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 28, 2004
Location: The upper stages of lower life
Posts: 1,465


Default

Other than his 'Beyonce' outburst at that awards ceremony earlier this year which I would agree with being entirely unnecessary, I am not aware of his history of 'stupid' remarks. In terms of this comment, I would neither call it stupid nor smart, just a subjective opinion he is entitled to.
__________________
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."-Winston Churchill:

Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:31 AM   #44
FPSHOT
Sun King
 
FPSHOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 04, 2000
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 31,563



Default

Maybe someone can write here what this Beyonce remark was?
__________________
"Everyone should have themselves regularly overwhelmed by Nature"
- George Harrison


FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:48 AM   #45
Serena
Moderator
 
Serena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 28, 2004
Location: The upper stages of lower life
Posts: 1,465


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
Oh, I don't know. Maybe Coldplay don't but he sure does since several of us here know nothing about him! As well, you couldn't live through the 60s and be unaware of The Beatles, whether you were into music (note, not just that type of music) or not, while it's perfectly possible to go through life now and know nothing about Coldplay. I know about them because a friend brought them to my attention, not because they're so big it's impossible to escape them.
That is just the problem, not many here seem to be broadening their horizons much and give newer music a chance, it gets instantly dismissed because it lacks certain qualities of older music. That I would agree with, but that doesn't mean nothing of it can be pleasurable. Much of it may not go down in history as 'true' quality music, but I wouldn't say it's all going to fade complete, this decade will eventually come back in style.

Quote:
I'm probably as cynical as whomever wrote the article because I don't think it's as much a compliment to Coldplay as it's a compliment to himself to have a member of a band he obviously admire collaborating with him! Reflected glory, you know? Maybe I'd be less cynical about it if he wasn't promoting the album where the collaboration takes place. Sorry. I guess we'll have to disagree on this one.
So he is showing off to the world by his collaboration and now is simply regarded as an egotistical ass? He certainly not the first artist to do this, if Paul had said the Beach Boys are better than the Rolling Stones by his numerous collaboration with Brian Wilson, there would be plenty of Rolling Stones fans with the same thoughts.
__________________
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."-Winston Churchill:


Last edited by Serena : Nov 25, 2010 at 12:48 AM.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:53 AM   #46
Serena
Moderator
 
Serena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 28, 2004
Location: The upper stages of lower life
Posts: 1,465


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
Maybe someone can write here what this Beyonce remark was?
Earlier this year West invaded the stage while country-pop artist Taylor Swift was accepting an award and rudely declared that Beyonce is the greatest and should have won instead. He later apologized and Swift at last later on got to re-do her speech(at least I think she did).
__________________
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."-Winston Churchill:

Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 01:17 AM   #47
FPSHOT
Sun King
 
FPSHOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 04, 2000
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 31,563



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
Earlier this year West invaded the stage while country-pop artist Taylor Swift was accepting an award and rudely declared that Beyonce is the greatest and should have won instead. He later apologized and Swift at last later on got to re-do her speech(at least I think she did).
Since when is Beyonce in country pop?
__________________
"Everyone should have themselves regularly overwhelmed by Nature"
- George Harrison


FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 01:31 AM   #48
hibgal
Sun King
 
hibgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 01, 2006
Posts: 26,650



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
That is just the problem, not many here seem to be broadening their horizons much and give newer music a chance, it gets instantly dismissed because it lacks certain qualities of older music. That I would agree with, but that doesn't mean nothing of it can be pleasurable. Much of it may not go down in history as 'true' quality music, but I wouldn't say it's all going to fade complete, this decade will eventually come back in style.
Oh sure. I personally like a lot of new music. Maybe not Coldplay so much, at least not what I've heard so far. Will their music be the gold standard in thirty years? Somehow I doubt it. They've got too much competition!

Quote:
So he is showing off to the world by his collaboration and now is simply regarded as an egotistical ass?
Now you're putting words in my mouth! Smart marketing yes, egotistical ass, I don't know. The timing of him saying it is what's crucial here. Okay, maybe he'll always think it, fine. I have no quibble with that. But the reason he's saying it now, well, it won't hurt his album sales any!
__________________



Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 01:41 AM   #49
FPSHOT
Sun King
 
FPSHOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 04, 2000
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 31,563



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
That is just the problem, not many here seem to be broadening their horizons much and give newer music a chance, it gets instantly dismissed because it lacks certain qualities of older music.
I do not think that is it. I love new music which comes in and never has to relate to "older music" whatever "older" is.

I like The Killers, Kings Of Leon, John Legend, Arcade Fire, various Dutch young artists, Adele, Muse, lots of new artists who have no recall to "older" music.

Yet, it could be seen an honor that people compare whoever to The Beatles but I just do not see the point.

What if some local US artist like this West guy would say "Coldplay is better than Beethoven"? What's the point?
__________________
"Everyone should have themselves regularly overwhelmed by Nature"
- George Harrison


FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 01:48 AM   #50
kmac
Old Brown Shoe
 
Join Date: Apr 10, 2007
Location: Buckeye Nation, USA
Posts: 3,033

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
Other than his 'Beyonce' outburst at that awards ceremony earlier this year which I would agree with being entirely unnecessary, I am not aware of his history of 'stupid' remarks. In terms of this comment, I would neither call it stupid nor smart, just a subjective opinion he is entitled to.
Kayne has had a few public outbursts in regards to music, politics, and race over the years. I do not feel inclined to delineate each, nor further discuss their merit. My point was more in regards to though I may disagree with some of his political or racial opinions - or even call them stupid - I still recognize the man for his musical contributions and talents; which, in my subjective opinion are quite accomplished.
__________________
kmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 01:51 AM   #51
FPSHOT
Sun King
 
FPSHOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 04, 2000
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 31,563



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac View Post
If you stay up on the trends in R&B and Hip-Hop markets in the 00's and beyond, you will find Kayne West's name appear in many popular productions.

He has talent recognized amongst his peers, but he also is a very opinionated man who has said some pretty stupid things in public.
Make up your mind mister kmac?

First you agree with HC and Serena and now you say this which I see as contradictional to your earlier agreement?

I would like to knoiw what this local artist has said positive and negative. His remark that Beyonce should have had the country-pop award makes me curious to what his 'wise' remarks are.
__________________
"Everyone should have themselves regularly overwhelmed by Nature"
- George Harrison


FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 01:51 AM   #52
kmac
Old Brown Shoe
 
Join Date: Apr 10, 2007
Location: Buckeye Nation, USA
Posts: 3,033

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
Since when is Beyonce in country pop?
The award was for 'Best Female Video' at the MTV VMA's, regardless of genre.
__________________
kmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 01:53 AM   #53
kmac
Old Brown Shoe
 
Join Date: Apr 10, 2007
Location: Buckeye Nation, USA
Posts: 3,033

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
Make up your mind mister kmac?

First you agree with HC and Serena and now you say this which I see as contradictional to your earlier agreement?

I would like to knoiw what this local artist has said positive and negative. His remark that Beyonce should have had the country-pop award makes me curious to what his 'wise' remarks are.
No contradiction at all.
__________________
kmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:00 AM   #54
Hari's Chick
Moderator
 
Hari's Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 11, 2002
Posts: 13,049


Default

I agree 100% with all Serena has said here about Kayne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
Earlier this year West invaded the stage while country-pop artist Taylor Swift was accepting an award and rudely declared that Beyonce is the greatest and should have won instead. He later apologized and Swift at last later on got to re-do her speech(at least I think she did).

Yes, that's right. Recently also, Kayne did a partial retraction of his apology and also spoke of his comment towards George Bush.

While on stage at the Bowery Ballroom in New York, Kanye delivered a heated rant about the Taylor incident and his 2005 comments about George W. Bush, in which he said on live TV that the then-president "doesn't care about black people."

He said, "Everybody needs a villain, don't we? We need to blame someone at all times. For me to be considered a racist for stating a blatant truth, an obvious truth, but the nuances of my words, because I am very particular with my words, and the emotions I felt at that time wasn't worded exactly right – but everybody came and said 'Oh my God!"

"I was emotional, that was not exactly the way I wanted to word it, but I wrote it, I rode it, just as Taylor never came to my defense in any interview, and rode the waves and rode it and rode it, that's the way I rode the waves of the Bush comment. I rode it."



About Taylor Swift ... I read somewhere he said he did not regret speaking out and would have gone on longer if he were not drunk. He said Swift getting the award above Beyonce was an insult to all people trying to be honestly creative. He did say he regretted making her feel bad, because that was not his point.

In an interview with radio show "Mojo in the Morning," Kanye felt bad because it was his fault that she is popular now.

He said, "I feel like when Taylor was getting all those magazine covers, she was all good then. I feel completely emphatic and sympathize with that moment of her feeling bad, that spawned her to have one million magazine covers and be the most popular artist in the world. But in that moment of her feeling bad, I do feel bad about being the cause of that."


http://www.allheadlinenews.com/artic...#ixzz16K7DJwIi

I think Kayne's remark did make Taylor Swift more popular. The thing is, like Jay Z said... Kayne was expressing honest emotion. It was not necessarily done to be outlandish or to get promotion. It was his feeling. Maybe he is an emotional guy. He is also intelligent and says some things which might be very true. Either way, I think the media is really painting him as this bad person just because he says what he feels and thinks. He is not being mean... he is stating opinions.

He appears to me to be an honest speaker, not all polish, and I think that's refreshing in ways.
__________________

Last edited by Hari's Chick : Nov 25, 2010 at 10:01 AM.
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:12 AM   #55
Hari's Chick
Moderator
 
Hari's Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 11, 2002
Posts: 13,049


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
Make up your mind mister kmac?

First you agree with HC and Serena and now you say this which I see as contradictional to your earlier agreement?

I would like to knoiw what this local artist has said positive and negative. His remark that Beyonce should have had the country-pop award makes me curious to what his 'wise' remarks are.
As I read kmac's words, he agreed with Kayne having every right to speak his mind though kmac voiced he did not agree with all the opinions expressed.

Kayne's most famous remark aside from the Beyonce incident was when hurricane Katrina created devastation... President Bush was very slow to respond. As the area has a large black population, Kayne remarked that he felt Bush was not responding because he did not care about black people. Bush later said that Kayne saying this was "one of the lowest points of his presidency," and that he was not a racist. Bush has mentioned Kayne and the remark in his new autobiography which is a top seller across America... so it is an "issue" again.
__________________

Last edited by Hari's Chick : Nov 25, 2010 at 10:12 AM.
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:59 AM   #56
hibgal
Sun King
 
hibgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 01, 2006
Posts: 26,650



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
The thing is, like Jay Z said... Kayne was expressing honest emotion. It was not necessarily done to be outlandish or to get promotion. It was his feeling. Maybe he is an emotional guy. He is also intelligent and says some things which might be very true. Either way, I think the media is really painting him as this bad person just because he says what he feels and thinks. He is not being mean... he is stating opinions.

He appears to me to be an honest speaker, not all polish, and I think that's refreshing in ways.
Being rude to others is refreshing? Come on, HC, that's not right. It's not the opinions he has about Beyonce v. Taylor Swift or whomever that's the problem, it's when and how he decides to express them. Sure, honest emotion is fine but, a bit of self-control doesn't come amiss either. All this have little to do with his comment about Coldplay anyway, which is an opinion he might have for all I care and I don't share.
__________________



Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:22 AM   #57
Hari's Chick
Moderator
 
Hari's Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 11, 2002
Posts: 13,049


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
Being rude to others is refreshing? Come on, HC, that's not right.
But, hib, you're misquoting my words. What I said was Kayne's ability to express honest emotions or thoughts is refreshing.

Quote:
It's not the opinions he has about Beyonce v. Taylor Swift or whomever that's the problem, it's when and how he decides to express them. Sure, honest emotion is fine but, a bit of self-control doesn't come amiss either.
I tend to be highly tolerant in these ways. I mean, to be honest, I don't think anything Kayne has done is more or less rude than things John Lennon has done in his day. Was John rude? At times, pretty much. Would we have wanted him any other way?

There is an emotional porosity in artists inclined toward stream of conscious expression which allows things to touch us, an unfettered honestly. And as Kayne has several times apologized for or clarified his initial intentions, and it seems to me he is trying to work out some rough edges.

What I dislike is when the media - or you know, people in general- ditch a good hearted person or dismiss them because they are working out their rough edges. Celebrities are put in a position of having to work out their rough edges publically. Some people would rather that these celebrities repress anything unconventional.

Kayne is edgey, but I do not personally feel he is speaking out purely to be sensational. But that is my opinion only.
__________________
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 05:31 PM   #58
Serena
Moderator
 
Serena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 28, 2004
Location: The upper stages of lower life
Posts: 1,465


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
Since when is Beyonce in country pop?
She's not, Swift was nominated in some pop artist category which Beyonce was apart of. But I guess Swift is also technically a country artist, I never heard any of her stuff.
__________________
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."-Winston Churchill:

Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 07:19 PM   #59
FPSHOT
Sun King
 
FPSHOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 04, 2000
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 31,563



Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post

Kayne's most famous remark aside from the Beyonce incident was when hurricane Katrina created devastation... President Bush was very slow to respond. As the area has a large black population, Kayne remarked that he felt Bush was not responding because he did not care about black people.
That is his most famous remark ? Very very impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
Bush later said that Kayne saying this was "one of the lowest points of his presidency," and that he was not a racist. Bush has mentioned Kayne and the remark in his new autobiography which is a top seller across America... so it is an "issue" again.
If he calls a random remark from some local artist one of the lowest points of his presidency then he has forgotten various other issues which have occurred during and because of his presidency.
__________________
"Everyone should have themselves regularly overwhelmed by Nature"
- George Harrison


FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:16 PM   #60
Hari's Chick
Moderator
 
Hari's Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 11, 2002
Posts: 13,049


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
That is his most famous remark ? Very very impressive
I cannot find anything funny at all when it comes to Hurricane Katrina. The disaster really affected primarily African Americans, and Kayne spoke out and said something many people were feeling at the time, people of all races. I am not calling or suggesting Bush is or was racist. I'm merely stating what people at the time voiced.

Recently, Kayne said this about Bush...

"I definitely can understand the way he feels, to be accused of being a racist in any way, because the same thing happened to me, where I got accused of being a racist,” West replied, referring to the aftermath of his run-in with Taylor Swift last fall. “For both situations, it was basically a lack of compassion that America felt in that situation. With him, it was a lack of compassion of him not rushing, him not taking the time to rush down to New Orleans. For me, it was a lack of compassion of cutting someone off in their moment. But nonetheless, I think we’re all quick to pull a race card in America. And now I’m more open, and the poetic justice that I feel, to have went through the same thing that he went [through] — and now I really more connect with him on just a humanitarian level.”

http://music-mix.ew.com/2010/11/03/k...bush-response/

Kayne is an intelligent man and not a far stones throw from some of John Lennon's behaviors, as I said before. He may rush in with an outspoken opinion, but then is not afriad to rethink things if need be.
__________________

Last edited by Hari's Chick : Nov 25, 2010 at 08:18 PM.
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Beatles v.s The Rolling Stones Sgt.McCartney I Read The News Today 69 Feb 15, 2014 12:30 AM
The incident that split John and Paul Tim Abbey Road 32 Mar 15, 2004 05:27 PM
American Album Chart Records 1955 - 2001 Wolf And Your Bird Can Sing 0 Jun 22, 2003 05:37 AM
Buried Treasure SF4-EVER I Read The News Today 5 Feb 07, 2003 06:22 PM
All-Time Norwegian chart records! Wolf And Your Bird Can Sing 3 Sep 05, 2002 10:52 AM


Advertisements

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Site Features
Search Links

  Advanced Search
Category Jump



BeatleMail

FREE E-MAIL
@ BEATLEMAIL.COM


Username


Password




New User Sign-Up!
Lost Password?
Beatles History




Donate
The costs of running our database and discussion forum are steadily rising. Any help we receive is greatly appreciated. Click HERE for more information about donating to BeatleLinks.
Extras
» Chat Room
» Current News
» Monthly Contest
» Interviews Database
» Random Site
» Banner Exchange
» F.A.Q.
» Advertise
» Credits
» Legal
» Contact Us
Copyright © 2000-2019 BeatleLinks
All Rights Reserved