BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:31 PM   #21
Hari's Chick

I don't think Coldplay are as good as the Beatles...

Kayne West is an interesting guy,though. Yeah, he did the whole Beyonce thing, but the media really won't drop it. He apologized and Taylor forgave him, so who cares? It's silly. Kayne is an intelligent guy. He was impulsive at one awards show but with God's mercy we should not be judged by a single harmless incident. Character is more than that. That's just silly.

I saw the MJ bit of Runaway, Kayne's video. It's very interesting. I'm not sure if I got out of it what he intended or not... it was very abstract, but I appreciated it's dreamlike quality and it made me think.

I like his song "Jesus Walks." He says what George always used to say. George said you can swear and curse and no one looks twice .... but say the word "God" and the room goes quiet, like you said something really wrong. Kayne says this same thing in his "Jesus Walks" song.

Last edited by Hari's Chick : Nov 14, 2010 at 06:38 PM.
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 03:12 PM   #22
Fighting Irish
Little Child

Kanye sucks. His ego thinks he's better than the Beatles.

Okay, there were a few songs on his first album that were kinda interesting, but it appears he's suffering from Terence Trent D'arby disease, and eventually, nobody will really care if he thinks Coldplay is better than the Beatles, or even care about the lazy, half-assed music he's been cranking out and passing off as some 'big statement' over the past few years. All in all, he's a loudmouth, pompous ass.
Fighting Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:30 AM   #23
VersusBatman
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_cupcake61842 View Post

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 05:50 AM   #24
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I approve of that post too! It made me laugh

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 05:55 AM   #25
hibgal
Sun King

Kanye Who?

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 07:39 AM   #26
Miss Nani Moonlight
Nowhere Man

Location: in the center of a big beatle group hug...nah, i wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersusBatman View Post
I get the feeling he says things just to get a rise out of people.
I think you've hit the nail on the head with that one. I totally agree completely - all he wants is attention, and if the only way to get it is to make outrageous comments that he knows will get people's blood boiling, then, that's what he'll do.

I mean, people are allowed their opinions, but...really, Kayne?
Miss Nani Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2010, 05:46 PM   #27
Kaye.Lennon
Mr. Moonlight

I see I'm not the only one who's annoyed by this. Kanye West loves to say things to get publicity, I personally think we should just dismiss his comments as promotion for himself.

♥Kaye
Kaye.Lennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:17 AM   #28
Jack Lord
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye.Lennon View Post
I see I'm not the only one who's annoyed by this. Kanye West loves to say things to get publicity, I personally think we should just dismiss his comments as promotion for himself.
I tend to agree.

Now, once someone told me, with all due seriousness, that the Monkees were better than the Beatles. How does one respond to such insanity?
Jack Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:18 PM   #29
Ringo77
Apple Scruff

I would listen to a Coldplay song... if I was having trouble sleeping.

And Kanye... Well... I would just never listen to one of his songs.
Ringo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:21 PM   #30
flying_cupcake61842
Bulldog

Kanye is a singer?

I thought he was just some dude who's famous for saying rude things.

I have a very high EQ—something, like, 3,000 hertz. If I think too hard, my brain hertz.
~George Harrison~

Cassandra
flying_cupcake61842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:22 PM   #31
Serena

I think what is even more ridiculous is how much everyone cares what he thinks. The man makes a subjective statement(maybe for attention, who knows) and is unfairly dismissed as an ass who doesn't know shit about music. So much for freedom of speech. The Beatles regarded as better than Coldplay or anyone else is not necessarily a fact and anyone is free to disagree with their status without the need for excessive insolence. It is just a preference not an 'outrageous comment' I am glad he actually has some guts to be different. So long as everyone is feeding the fire, it will continue to burn.

Last edited by Serena : Nov 24, 2010 at 06:25 PM.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:52 PM   #32
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
I think what is even more ridiculous is how much everyone cares what he thinks. The man makes a subjective statement(maybe for attention, who knows) and is unfairly dismissed as an ass who doesn't know shit about music. So much for freedom of speech. The Beatles regarded as better than Coldplay or anyone else is not necessarily a fact and anyone is free to disagree with their status without the need for excessive insolence. It is just a preference not an 'outrageous comment' I am glad he actually has some guts to be different. So long as everyone is feeding the fire, it will continue to burn.
Yes, this is a lot how I feel too, Serena. You put into words what I was feeling. It's not an outrageous comment, just a preference. I think he is being unfairly dismissed as well.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:44 PM   #33
kmac
Old Brown Shoe

Indeed. I fell art has much less to do with facts than it does about preferences.

Too, my experience suggests that idol worship often segues into defensiveness in these types of comparative discussions.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:31 PM   #34
hibgal
Sun King

Freedom of speech, okay, but that's not what this is all about. Whomever wrote that piece promotes this guy as somebody who's taste others are to be guided by or why publish what he says in the first place? Nobody would publish it if I would say I preferred some group to The Beatles or any other artist of iconic statue. What I say wouldn't have any news value so obviously somebody feels Kayne's opinion matters. I, personally, haven't a clue whom this Kayne is except my hubby says he's a member of a band who's name I recognize but have no memory of hearing. Naturally what he says is of no value to me. How could it be?

Besides, it's rather naive to expect people on a Beatles forum will agree with such a statement. Pretty much as likely as comparison between Sarah Palin and Barak Obama to Sarah's favor would go over well on a Democrats party convention, nor do I think that preference necessarily an expression of blind idol worship.

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:09 PM   #35
Serena

As a successful and at least a somewhat respected artist, of course the press/critics/fans/other musicians are going to hold his opinion up higher than any average person's. To see where an artist stands on other artists sort of puts perception on where they are coming from as musicians so I can understand the interest. Those who are in strong disagreement and exasperation are free to feel that way, but I do not see the point. There seems to always be this illusion of a fire that was never really burning and can only be put out by the illusionist. He is not really yearning for attention or a fight, many just choose to be bothered by something that may conflict with the tiniest aspect of their beliefs. Unfortunately this tends to be the root cause of many wars. Idol worship is another unhealthy cause I would rather not cross into.

Last edited by Serena : Nov 24, 2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:40 PM   #36
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
There seems to always be this illusion of a fire that was never really burning and can only be put out by the illusionist. He is not really yearning for attention or a fight, many just choose to be bothered by something that may conflict with the tiniest aspect of their beliefs. Unfortunately this tends to be the root cause of many wars. Idol worship is another unhealthy cause I would rather not cross into.
Sure we read the same article, Serena? I don't see any flames in the article, which is rather cynical, really, and points to an equally cynical reason for Kayne's statement - he makes his claim to draw attention to himself and his album on which he collaborates with one of the members of Coldplay. (At least I know who they are!) It rather begs the question - Would he have said The Beatles were the greatest if he'd collaborated with Paul McCartney?

That people here on a Beatles forum don't agree with his Coldplay promo is hardly surprising! Nor does it follow that their assessment of him and his talent is solely based on this particular statement. To insinuate that is to read more into comments here than they warrant.

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:57 PM   #37
Serena

I was more-so referring to the 'flames' in response to the article.
So he collaborated with an artist and gave high appraisal to them as he got to know their music with more intimacy. I don't think him or Coldplay need that much more promotion. As soon as someone says something in disagreement, many tend to unfairly think it is all for attention. If he said the Beatles are the greatest thing ever, regardless of who he has worked with, we would not be having this controversy now. Although others elsewhere may disagree with that so it's all for attention again.

This is not the first well-known artist he has collaborated with either, I have never heard him give a 'better than the Beatles' remark to anyone else, although that does not mean he hasn't. But that is still a high compliment to Coldplay and their fans as well. Tough call for Beatle fans though, oh well.

Last edited by Serena : Nov 25, 2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:01 AM   #38
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
I don't think him or Coldplay need that much more promotion.
That's because you seem to know both.

I follow the music industry almost every day but don't know anything about this mister West and after listening to 2 of his "songs" via YouTube think he will dissappear as so many with this style within the next year.

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:20 AM   #39
Serena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
That's because you seem to know both.

I follow the music industry almost every day but don't know anything about this mister West and after listening to 2 of his "songs" via YouTube think he will dissappear as so many with this style within the next year.

Actually I know little to nothing about these two artists, could not name a Coldplay song and what little I have heard from West I like, but I am aware of their prodigious popularity among the youth right now and I know Coldplay has been able to keep an enduring high status for at least half a decade. Where will these two acts be in the next few years? That is up to consumers, but collaborating with other well-known acts for promotional reasons is not necessarily a bad move.

For those who know nothing from each artist should be even less bothered by their comments because they apparently hold just as much value as any other random person's comments. It's all just ridiculous semantics.

Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:20 AM   #40
kmac
Old Brown Shoe

If you stay up on the trends in R&B and Hip-Hop markets in the 00's and beyond, you will find Kayne West's name appear in many popular productions.

He has talent recognized amongst his peers, but he also is a very opinionated man who has said some pretty stupid things in public.