BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Bootleg Network

Old Jun 20, 2003, 11:47 PM   #1
joelcrowservo
Dr. Robert

Default BBR: "Whitology"

OK, here we go, the first of the Beatles Bootleg Reviews, starting off by popular request with Walrus Records "Whitology":
Track Listing:
CD 1
1. The Making Of The Jet Noise 0'29''
2. "Back In The U.S.S.R." [mono mix, rec. on Aug 23, '68] 2'40''
3. "Dear Prudence" [unreleased take with different ending and different backing vocals] 3'56''
4. "Glass Onion" [mono mix, rec. on Sept 26, '68] 2'07''
5. Paul Introducing "Ob-La-Di,Ob-La-Da" 0'27''
6. "Ob-La-Di,Ob-La-Da" [early take] 2'58''
7. "Wild Honey Pie" [alternte take, rec. and mixed on Aug 20, '68] 1'02''
8. "The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill" [mono mix, rec. on Oct 8, '68] 3'14''
9."While My Guitar Gently Weeps" [take 1, rec. on July 25, '68] 3'26''
10."Happiness Is A Warm Gun" [mono mix, louder bass at "I Need A Fix" part] 2'45''
11."Martha My Dear" [mono mix, rec. on Oct 4, '68] 2'30''
12. "I'm So Tired "[alternate take)
13."Blackbird" [demo '68, early take] 2'16''
14."Piggies" [mono mix, with different piggies sounds, rec. on Sept 20, '68] 2'06''
15."Rocky Raccoon" [take 8] 4'13''
16."Don't Pass Me By" [instr. take 3 and vocal take 5, rec. on June 5 and 6, '68] 2'43''
17. Paul Introducing "Why Don't We Do It In The Road?" 1'03''
18. Why Don't We Do It In The Road? [mono mix, no handclaps in intro, rec. on Oct 10, '68] 1'42''
19. I Will [take 1, rec. on Sept 16, '68] 1'57''
20."Julia" [take 2, rec. on Oct 13, '68] 2'09''

Bonus Tracks
21. Promo "White Album" 25 Anniversary Part 1 1'39''
22."Ob-La-Di,Ob-La-Da [different mix, prefaced by a false start on piano and laugher] 3'17''
23. Don't Pass Me By [different mix, it includes a 30 seconds reprise of the first verse before the final "Don't Pass Me By" chorus] 4'13''
24. Back In The U.S.S.R. [alternate mono mix, the jet noise at the beginning and end lasts a few seconds longer and does not have the beginning of "Dear Prudence" layered over the end 2'49''
25. Why Don't We Do It In The Road? [take 4, rec. on Oct 9, '68] 2'16''
26. Blackbird [take 4, rec. on June 11, '68] 2'18''
27. Piggies [Esher demo, rec. in May, '68] 2'01''
28. Glass Onion [Esher demo, rec. in May, '68] 1'53''
29. I'm So Tired [early mix, with a different Lennon vocal as well as unused lead guitar and organ overdubs, rec. on Oct 8, '68] 2'08''
30. Julia [alternate take] 2'53''
31. Happiness Is A Warm Gun [Esher demo, rec. in May, '68] 1'56''
CD 2
1. Paul Introducing "Birthday" 1'27''
2."Birthday" [mono mix, rec. on Sept 18, '68] 2'44''
3."Yer Blues [mono mix, rec. on Aug 14, '68] 4'12''
4."Mother Nature's Son [take 2, rec. on Aug 9, '68] 2'51''
5."Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey" [alternate version, with count-in and a significantly different version of the lead vocal (many of John's lines are not double tracked here, whereas on the legitimate release all of his vocal is. Also noticeably different is the "Come on, Come on" conclusion of the song)] 2'30''
6."Sexy Sadie [unedited version, the released take has an edit 2:56 into the song, cutting out 38 seconds of music, and continuing on with the last 17 seconds of the song. This outtake does not contain this edit, and even continues on a hair longer at the fade] 3'58''
7. Paul Introducing "Helter Skelter" 0'26''
8."Helter Skelter" [mono mix, this version is shorter and has louder backing vocals, no fade-back] 3'40''
9."Long, Long, Long [mono mix,faster than stereo, rec. on Oct 7, '68] 3'07''
10."Revolution 1 [mono mix] 4'16''
11."Honey Pie [Esher demo, rec. in May, '68] 1'21''
12. George Introducing "Savoy Truffle" 0'32''
13. Savoy Truffle [mono mix, rec. on Oct 3, '68] 2'56''
14. Cry Baby Cry [take 1, rec. on July 16, '68] 2'46''
15. Revolution 9 [mono acetate, rec. on June 20, '68] 7'50''
16."Good Night" [alternate take] 3'16''
++++++++
Bonus Tracks
17. Promo "White Album" 25 Anniversary Part 2 1'08''
18. Sexy Sadie [take 6, rec. on July 19, '68] 4'08''
19. Helter Skelter [take 2, rec. on July 18, '68] 4'38''
20. Step Inside Love / Los Paranoias [jam, rec. on Sept 16, '68] 2'31''
21. Not Guilty [different take as on Anthology 3, rec. in Aug, '68] 4'23''
22. Junk [Esher demo, rec. in May, '68] 2'26''
23. A Beginning [orchestral arrangement, rec. on July 22, '68] 0'46''
24. Good Night [rehearsal, rec. on June 28, '68] 2'25''
This is basically "Alternate White Album", with the usual mono mixes and such.That said, if you have the mono mixes and the Anthologies, which this borrows from liberally, you basically have this CD, with a few exceptions.The CD opens with Paul seemingly claiming HE is responsible for the jet sounds during "Back In The USSR". Sure Paul. Theres a nice alternate mix of "Dear Prudence" that has some parts missing, such as some of Johns vocals at the end, and a few guitar parts. Johns vocal also has an odd effect on it, which is actually very nice. The version included of "While My Guitar.." is not the actual take 1, but the Anthology remix.This is one of the things that to me defeats the purpose of a boot. Why include officially released Anthology mixes? And,as in the case of "Dont Pass Me By", using one of the 'collages' too. Kind of pointless."I'm So Tired" is a good alternate take, close to the final version.I like to hear this one in any version though! Same with "Blackbird", but I hadnt heard this take. Speaking of, I hadnt heard the alternate of "Rocky Raccoon", but this is one of those that just doesnt cut it anyway compared to the released take.On the second disc, theres even less interesting stuff, but theres a few things. "Everybodys Got Something.." has an irratically doubled Lennon vocal, which drops in and out. A lot of the 'come ons' at the end seem to have been done at the time John redid his doubled vocal. The other oddity is the acetate copy of "Revolution #9", scratches and all. It seems to differ a bit, but its always hard to tell with this one! The CDs have unilluminating interviews with Paul and George, mostly from the 25th anniversary White Album radio show.Now, if you want an alternate version of an album you love, this is what you want. But its not indispensable, especially since you could put together your own version from the net.
SUMMARY/RATING:3 stars. Basically an "Alternate White Album", including some officially released stuff rather than true boots. If you have the mono LP, this is not really needed. Not indispensable, but good for fans (like me) of "the Beatles". BTW, its worth noting that some possible 'new' White Album mixes have turned up on the net, featuring intros by John.They are the mono mixes, but as in the case of "Birthday",it has the complete drum intro. You generally hear the mono version with a split second of the first beat gone. I'll keep up with this development.
Okay your opinions are next up, questions welcome! Our next reviews can be either:
"John Lennon:The Final BBC Interview"
or
"Every Little Thing" Vol.s 1-4
We'll pick from these, then the next week will be the leftover, with 3 new choices presented. Now your turn! (assuming you LIKED this edition!) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ Jun 21, 2003, 12:57 AM: Message Edited By: joelcrowservo ][/size]
joelcrowservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2003, 02:08 PM   #2
Edmund
Nowhere Man

Default Re: BBR: "Whitology"

That was an excellent review!

Whitology has a reputation of being one of those great, essential boots. I'm glad I downloaded my copy: I would have been upset if I'd shelled out hard-earned for it. This review may save other folk from paying for unnecessary stuff.

You've set a high standard for other reviews!
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2003, 07:02 AM   #3
Legs
Sun King

Thanks for your review. The reason I asked for a review about Whiteology was that I wanted to find out what people who actually had the set thought about it. There are a few reviews up on the Bootlegzone and the people their each gave this set 5 stars!!! Makes you wonder if these people know what they are talking about, haven't they got the Anthology set?

I was tempted to buy the Whiteology set when I saw it, the cover sure looks atractive and is well done but I decided to wait till I learned more about the set.

After the first few great releases by the label, which I bought, the Walrus cd-s are often easy to find at beatlemarkets here in the Netherlands I was disapointed to find out that many of the versions were lifted from the Anthology series. One can asume that fans who go out and buy bootlegs at least have the Anthology set already.

Instead of the Walrus version you're better of with the Pear version of the Alternate White album which I ended up buying instead, the only thing is is that it's a cd-r instead of a silver disk, but you get all the outakes that are on the Walrus edition that aren't from the Anthology set, plus some more including two Hey Jude outtakes. It hasn't got all the mono mixes but all the important ones on which you can clearly hear the diference to the stereo versions are on it. The longer version of Sexy Sady is on it to and is one of my favourites.

The alternate white album cd 1

The alternate white album cd 2

[size="1"][ Jun 22, 2003, 08:05 AM: Message Edited By: Legs ][/size]
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2003, 06:29 PM   #4
joelcrowservo
Dr. Robert

Well Okay, thanks for the nice comments about that first review. I think next week I'll go ahead and do "Every Little Thing", since its one of the most interesting and one of my favorites. Unless you folk vote otherwise...!
Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:10 AM   #5
onosideboards
Taxman

how different are the mono versions of the white album tracks? i'm more of an outtake person with big variations. but i've heard people say they only listen to the mono version.
onosideboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:29 AM   #6
jad2k1
Apple Scruff

coo!! i would love to see your review of the bootleg "soul sessions."
jad2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 10:33 AM   #7
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By onosideboards:
how different are the mono versions of the white album tracks? i'm more of an outtake person with big variations. but i've heard people say they only listen to the mono version.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">The differences is mostly not that big, but there are different bird sounds in "Blackbird", "Don't Pass Me By" runs in a different speed and the end is notably different, "Helter Skelter" is shorter since the last part isn't included, so you can't hear Ringo's "I've got blisters on my fingers" and there are different noises throughout the songs. There is more but I am more of outtakes person myself also, the pear cd is great since it does have alternate versions and the more intersting mono takes.

Looking forward to the "Every Little Thing" review Joel, hope the lack of response hadn't change your mind about writing another one.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 04:22 PM   #8
yokorules
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted By Edmund:
That was an excellent review!

Whitology has a reputation of being one of those great, essential boots. I'm glad I downloaded my copy: I would have been upset if I'd shelled out hard-earned for it. This review may save other folk from paying for unnecessary stuff.

You've set a high standard for other reviews!
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Where did you download this?? are you allowed to say? [img]graemlins/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
[img]graemlins/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
yokorules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 09:05 PM   #9
Edmund
Nowhere Man

yokorules, I'd have no hesitation in giving you the link, but it's not on that site anymore.

If you have one of those music/file storage sites, I'd be happy to upload the songs to it, so you can then download. Go to www.streamload.com I believe you can sign up there for $0 for a month, and you can store music files there. They delete you after 1 month. If you did that and sent me your username and password, I could upload the stuff very quickly. Let me know via private message.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 10:34 PM   #10
joelcrowservo
Dr. Robert

OK, lets take the points one by one:
Yes, this weekend will feature the review (maybe in 2 parts) of "ELT" 1-4. I thought the responses were pretty enthusiastic for my dashed off review!Please understand: writing these, I'm usually sitting in a newsroom at a computer, and when nothing is happening, I come straight here!
Umm..the Soul Sessions CD might come later. Theres one coming soon, maybe after the Lennon CD, thats sure to cause a bit of controversy! We'll see.
Mono vs. Stereo...go to my website, or Yahoo, and find the link for Beatles Recording Variations by Joe Brennan. Excellent work every Fabite should read.The mono versions seem to feature 'punchier' mixes, but this is perhaps due to listening to the sometimes too expansive stereo mixes for years. Some mixes are better, some arent. Also look for my article on my site, "You Cant Do That". Covers this territory well.
Where did I download this...dont assume it was downloaded. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Okay! This weekend, "Every Little Thing" from Overdone Productions. I'll give you a taste: I LOVE this set! BTW: Would you like to have an example of cover art with the reviews?

[size="1"][ Jun 24, 2003, 11:36 PM: Message Edited By: joelcrowservo ][/size]