BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Bootleg Network

Old Jun 23, 2003, 05:36 PM   #1
yokorules
Fool On The Hill

Default Songs you wish were on anthology.

This is a question that i ask all my friends that are beatles fans. What unreleased recording
do you wish had been on anthology? Mine would have to be pauls demo of "goodbye".
yokorules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 09:53 PM   #2
Johnna Lynn
Mr. Moonlight

Default Re: Songs you wish were on anthology.

Quote:
Originally Posted By yokorules:
This is a question that i ask all my friends that are beatles fans. What unreleased recording
do you wish had been on anthology? Mine would have to be pauls demo of "goodbye".
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/yeah.gif[/img]
Wow, yoko, your signature is chilling.
I heard John say " I always feel safe when I'm plugged in. I don't think they'll get me." This from the Anthology VHS, a quote from around Shea Staduim show, I believe. That quote of yours blew me away.
By the way-Welcome to BeatleLinks. If you want any info about the FabForum, moderators are always available. [img]graemlins/talking.gif[/img]
Johnna Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 04:34 AM   #3
Doctor Kite
Little Child

I'd go with the full Helter Skelter, not the edited version on Antholgy 3.
Doctor Kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 05:51 AM   #4
Paolo Meccano
Taxman

Hello Yokorules, [img]graemlins/wave2.gif[/img] *

I wish that the 11 Sep 1962 version of 'Please Please Me' and the 03 Jun 1964 demo of 'No Reply' were on 'Anthology 1' like the booklet says they're supposed to be... [img]graemlins/images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ Jun 24, 2003, 05:03 PM: Message Edited By: Paolo Meccano ][/size]
Paolo Meccano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 07:56 AM   #5
onosideboards
Taxman

the longer, jam session versions of "something" and "you never give me your money."

oh, and the 8-minute version of "dig it." it's a masterpiece of improv! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ Jun 24, 2003, 08:56 AM: Message Edited By: onosideboards ][/size]
onosideboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 08:21 AM   #6
yokorules
Fool On The Hill

those are all great ideas! thanks for telling me! perhaps someday they will release another set with more unreleased material...

ps: the quote is from the book "all we are saying", which is a great read. if your interested, they carry it a borders.

[size="1"][ Jun 24, 2003, 09:22 AM: Message Edited By: yokorules ][/size]
yokorules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 09:57 AM   #7
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By Paolo Meccano:
Hello Yokorules, [img]graemlins/wave2.gif[/img] *

I wish that the 11 Sep 1963 version of 'Please Please Me' and the 03 Jun 1964 demo of 'No Reply' were on 'Anthology 1' like the booklet says they're supposed to be... [img]graemlins/images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I'm always learning to learn something new, which versions of these two songs are on Anthology 1 then?

I agree with all sugestions so far, the long version of Helter Skelter is something we all would like to hear. I agree with onosideboards on "Something" and "You Never Give Me Your Money" in fact I have used these versions for a compilation of favourite outtakes, forgot to include Dig It which I have as an mp3.

In adition I just wished that they hadn't butchered up the songs so much, I rather had heard the complete take 1 of "A Day In The Life" then the new mix that is on Anthology. In the past I had started a topic about this.

[size="1"][ Jun 24, 2003, 10:59 AM: Message Edited By: Legs ][/size]
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 04:02 PM   #8
Paolo Meccano
Taxman

Hello Legs, [img]graemlins/wave1.gif[/img] *

The version of 'Please Please Me' on 'Anthology 1' which is listed as dating from 11 Sep 1962 is actually from 26 Nov 1962 and the supposed 03 Jun 1964 demo of 'No Reply' is actually take 1 from 30 Sep 1964 - if you listen carefully, you can hear someone say 'take 1' at the beginning...
Old Jun 24, 2003, 11:09 PM   #9
paranoiac
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
The version of 'Please Please Me' on 'Anthology 1' which is listed as dating from 11 Sep 1962 is actually from 26 Nov 1962 and the supposed 03 Jun 1964 demo of 'No Reply' is actually take 1 from 30 Sep 1964 - if you listen carefully, you can hear someone say 'take 1' at the beginning...
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">"Please Please Me" on Anthology 1 is from an acetate - the date is speculative, but Lewisohn dates it in the booklet as 11 Sep 1962. The dating for the "No Reply" demo is correct - listen and you'll only hear three Beatles, as Ringo was ill and Jimmy Nicol was yet to arrive. Norman Smith still slates it as "Take 1". The 30 Sep 1964 "Take 1" of "No Reply" is completely different, with a new slate and is a short breakdown performance, available on the Anthology videos, copied from there onto various bootlegs.
paranoiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2003, 05:31 AM   #10
Paolo Meccano
Taxman

Hello Paranoiac, [img]graemlins/wave1.gif[/img] *

I'll defer to your superior knowledge as
regards 'No Reply' but I think I'm right about 'Please Please Me' - the 11 Sep 1962 version with Andy White is supposed to be very much slower, in the style of Roy Orbison, but if you compare it to the single version you'll see that the backing is virtually identical.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 08:31 AM   #11
paranoiac
Fool On The Hill

Here's John Winn's explanation of the 11 September 1962 recording of "Please Please Me":

Date: 11 September 1962
Time: 5.00-6.45 pm
Producer: Ron Richards

[A.] PS I Love You - RM from take 10 (2:01)
[B.] Love Me Do - RM from take 18 (2:18)
[C.] Please Please Me - RM from unknown take (1:57)
Mixed: 11 September 1962

[D.] Love Me Do - RS from take 18 (fake stereo) (2:18)
[E.] PS I Love You - RS from take 10 (fake stereo) (2:01)
Mixed: 25 February 1963

[...]
George Martin finally showed up around the time the session was wrapping up with The Beatles' first attempt to record a new John Lennon composition. "Please Please Me" was originally envisioned at a slower tempo, with dramatic crescendos, a la Roy Orbison. At the September 4th session, The Beatles played this song during their six-song rehearsal/warm-up. At the time, Martin hated the arrangement, and told them to pep things up and add some harmonies.
With White still playing drums, an attempt to tape this new arrangement (C) concluded the September 11th session. Martin liked what he heard, but thought there was more room for improvement, though not enough time on the clock to work out the problems. It was held over for their second single, taped November 26th.
The most obvious difference in this earlier take is the lack of harmonica, but it's impossible to say whether they hadn't added this to the arrangement or just didn't bother to overdub it onto what was a rejected recording. The drumming is notably different to Ringo's, lacking the flurries underneath "in my heart" and adding a halfhearted fill bridging "come on" and the title phrase. Paul and George's answer vocals in the middle eight are also absent, replaced by another tame drum fill.
paranoiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2003, 02:23 PM   #12
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I would have liked there to be more speech clips on 2 and 3 like they had on Anthology 1....
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2003, 02:28 PM   #13
Paolo Meccano
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted By paranoiac:
Here's John Winn's explanation of the 11 September 1962 recording of "Please Please Me":

Date: 11 September 1962
Time: 5.00-6.45 pm
Producer: Ron Richards

[A.] PS I Love You - RM from take 10 (2:01)
[B.] Love Me Do - RM from take 18 (2:18)
[C.] Please Please Me - RM from unknown take (1:57)
Mixed: 11 September 1962

[D.] Love Me Do - RS from take 18 (fake stereo) (2:18)
[E.] PS I Love You - RS from take 10 (fake stereo) (2:01)
Mixed: 25 February 1963

[...]
George Martin finally showed up around the time the session was wrapping up with The Beatles' first attempt to record a new John Lennon composition. "Please Please Me" was originally envisioned at a slower tempo, with dramatic crescendos, a la Roy Orbison. At the September 4th session, The Beatles played this song during their six-song rehearsal/warm-up. At the time, Martin hated the arrangement, and told them to pep things up and add some harmonies.
With White still playing drums, an attempt to tape this new arrangement (C) concluded the September 11th session. Martin liked what he heard, but thought there was more room for improvement, though not enough time on the clock to work out the problems. It was held over for their second single, taped November 26th.
The most obvious difference in this earlier take is the lack of harmonica, but it's impossible to say whether they hadn't added this to the arrangement or just didn't bother to overdub it onto what was a rejected recording. The drumming is notably different to Ringo's, lacking the flurries underneath "in my heart" and adding a halfhearted fill bridging "come on" and the title phrase. Paul and George's answer vocals in the middle eight are also absent, replaced by another tame drum fill.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Cheers for the info Paranoiac, [img]graemlins/wave1.gif[/img] *

Well, I guess all those Beatle books are wrong then! Just one question - who's the mysterious John Winn..?

[size="1"][ Jun 25, 2003, 03:32 PM: Message Edited By: Paolo Meccano ][/size]