BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Nov 06, 2009, 02:19 AM   #1
FPSHOT
Sun King

Default George and Michael Jackson

On February 9th, 1979, George and Michael Jackson were guests at a BBC show called Roundtable, where they acted as judges on ‘this weeks new singles’

There is a bootleg of it which I got hold on thanks to two Dutch friends, one being Legs.

http://www.bootlegzone.com/album.php...C048&section=4

This is over 30 years ago so Michael is still very young.

George just got back from Brazil and had been house hunting on the island of Mustique and had flown back to London the day before this radio show and was bound to promote the George Harrison album. George mentions that when he left from Brazil the record company gave him a big back of Brazilian music LP’s to do homework on.

There is a part where they discuss melodies in songs and Michael refers to Beatles songs and George jumps in saying how he liked the melody from one of the first Jackson singles which had a great bass line in it but, can not come up with the title and then Michael talks back to George about how he loves the music and lyrics of Here Comes The Sun and another one of which George says “that was one of Paul”.

It is nice to hear how they agree often on the songs they had to comment on and both often talk about melody in songs.

They discuss Ain’t No Sunshine and agree both that the Bill Withers version is the best.
This version has a reggae content so they are asked what they think of it and George says how he likes it and was so impressed when he saw Bob Marley and his band for the first time and even stayed for the second show and went back the next day and said how in particular he liked the way Bob looked and moved, like in a dream. When asked if George ever tried reggae he mentions Crackerbox Palace as a song where he tried it on.

George is being asked which kind of music he likes and from the popular music the one he mentions first is Ry Cooder but adds that he likes Classical Indian music most. Later he mentions also Cat Stevens as someone he likes a lot as person and musician.

Michael mentions Stevie Wonder.

At some point George is being asked which cover versions of his songs he likes most and he right away mentions Something by Smokey Robinson and says how at that time there were about 150 cover versions and most of them messed up especially the middle part but ‘James Brown made up for that when he did the song in 1972, it’s fantastic, I got it on my jukebox at home”

Then Michael says in a really sweet way “You did Something? I thought that was Lennon/McCartney” to which George smiling says “everybody thinks that” and Michael “they do don’t they” .. that is a very nice way of interacting together.

There is also some talk about Monty Python where it is mentioned that the forthcoming film might be called Brian Of Nazareth.

Really nice to hear them together.

Last edited by FPSHOT : Nov 06, 2009 at 02:22 AM.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2009, 11:58 AM   #2
edubeltran
Day Tripper

that's great! MJ wasn't exactly my favourite person on Earth, but I acknowledge he did some brilliant songs and his legacy will last forever. Nice to see him so humble and " normal" ( I do not know if this is the proper word to use, but I guess you know what I mean)
Some years later, george said he was appalled at what MJ did ( using his friendship with Paul to grab the Beatles rights), this is one of the reasons why I disliked him as well.
edubeltran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 06, 2009, 02:51 PM   #3
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

MJ has never been one of my favorite people either, edubeltran. Even though I didn't care for many of his songs, I respect and recognize his talent and I enoyed the movie "This is It."

I was impressed with the Gloved One's humility and politeness to his team. I hope Paul was able to buy back his own music. Paul even said in an interview in recent years that MJ was dodging him and not taking his calls when Paul tried to buy back the songs HE wrote and put years of HIS life into.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2009, 06:56 AM   #4
Hari's Chick

Exclamation

Hey! Not fair blaming Michael for Paul wanting a bargain!

Actually when the songs were bid for, Michael told Paul in advance he was going to bid on them. Michael, being a HUGE Beatles fan, wanted to own the rights to the songs. That is the exact same as ANY item of memoribilia any fan owns which is a one-off. No different. Both would generate money in different ways.

So, as a Beatles fan, MJ wanted the songs. FAIR. And he TOLD Paul he was going to bid on them. Paul knew this, but when he heard how the bidding had increased both he AND Yoko spoke and decided... TOGETHER.... the songs were "not worth Owning" for that amount of money.

How is this MJ's fault?! It is simply not. If another non-famous person had bid on them, would people feel the same way? Paul and/or Yoko would have to buy them at an advanced rate anyway! Obviously someone was bidding 'against' Michael to drive the bid up!

In later years Paul said he hoped to buy them off MJ cheaply because he was his friend, and Paul spoke to MJ about this. WHY should MJ sell them to Paul- one of the most wealthy men in Britian (at the time, maybe the most wealthy) for less money? Michael has just as much right to the nice things in life as Paul. Michael earned his money by sacrificing his entire childhood! Why would he be expected to give charity to Paul?

That is simply unfair!!! Paul should not expect charity. As wealthy as he is, he should pay market price for anything of this nature. To expect anything else is just completely silly and wrong.

Michael did nothing wrong and if I were Michael I'd have done the exact same thing. Michael had goals, a family, and let me say gave FAR more away for charity than anyone. He is listed among the top charible contributors- the TOP- in Guiness World Book of Records. This leads me to conclude Michael has his priorities very honorable and straight.

Business is like sports. There are rules to play by. If you bend the rules you are dishonorable. But if you play by the rules and are all given a fair chance, if nothing underhanded is done, then it is "let the best man (or woman) win!" If Michael and Paul played a game of soccer it would be the same. Michael should not let Paul win just because the game may be played in Liverpool and it would be nice and sentimental for Paul to win. This is not even how guys think. And in this business deal, both had enough money to keep 'playing.' Paul called the game when Michael was ahead- then regretted it. But that is NOT anything Michael did wrong.

Hmph.

Last edited by Hari's Chick : Nov 07, 2009 at 07:49 AM.
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2009, 07:40 AM   #5
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
then Michael talks back to George about how he loves the music and lyrics of Here Comes The Sun
Aww... this is such a nice find FP. Thanks for writing this out and sharing. I can easily see George and Michael getting along fabulously. They both have golden hearts.

To be honest and fair to George, I have read or heard nearly every interview and I have never heard George say one bad things about MJ. So, until I read or hear it with a documented source, I am not going to pay much attention to the negative MJ bashing on this thread.
Old Nov 07, 2009, 07:43 AM   #6
FPSHOT
Sun King

I think probably before the year 2029 I will find out what this radio broadcast has to do with Paul McCartney and buying music rights.

My goodness

Old Nov 07, 2009, 07:44 AM   #7
beatlebangs1964

It's always heart warming to hear other artists share something about George and how George and his music moved them.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

Old Nov 07, 2009, 07:49 AM   #8
FPSHOT
Sun King

ahum

this is about

a radio broadcast

with George

who is talking about other artists

i probably talk a different language

Old Nov 07, 2009, 07:49 AM   #9
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
In later years Paul said he hoped to buy them off MJ cheaply because he was his friend, and Paul spoke to MJ about this. WHY should MJ sell them to Paul- one of the most wealthy men in Britian (at the time, maybe the most wealthy) for less money?
Besides that, HC, when MJ had all those financial problems a few years back and had to sell half the Beatles catalog to Sony, I didn't see Paul rushing forward to try getting in on the deal. Seems to me the perfect opportunity if Paul truly wanted the catalog. If there was any time he could get a good deal on it that was it! And, as an added incentive, he'd be helping out a friend. Rather Paul's said he's not paying anything but looking forward to when the music reverts to the public domain, which may not be quite as soon as Paul thinks.

Come to think of it, pretty sure there's another topic dealing with this very issue, isn't there?

Anyway, interesting recap, FP!

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2009, 07:50 AM   #10
beatlebangs1964

Thanks, FPSHOT!

Old Nov 07, 2009, 07:51 AM   #11
FPSHOT
Sun King

maybe we can keep this to the radio broadcast...thanks...

Old Nov 07, 2009, 07:53 AM   #12
Hari's Chick

Quote:
I think probably before the year 2029 I will find out what this radio broadcast has to do with Paul McCartney and buying music rights.

My goodness
Because some people want to see bad in Michael no matter what. They want Michael to pay for the Beatles catalogue, gift it to Paul, apologize he did not gift more, offer to go clean Paul's house, wash his dog, and say 50 Hail Marys. Each Saturday Night.
Old Nov 07, 2009, 07:55 AM   #13
FPSHOT
Sun King

I think it is quite special that Michael mentions Here Comes The Sun, when you think of how high that song ranks within Beatles fans.

Old Nov 07, 2009, 07:56 AM   #14
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
Besides that, HC, when MJ had all those financial problems a few years back and had to sell half the Beatles catalog to Sony, I didn't see Paul rushing forward to try getting in on the deal. Seems to me the perfect opportunity if Paul truly wanted the catalog. If there was any time he could get a good deal on it that was it! And, as an added incentive, he'd be helping out a friend. Rather Paul's said he's not paying anything but looking forward to when the music reverts to the public domain, which may not be quite as soon as Paul thinks.
Excellent point!!!
Old Nov 07, 2009, 07:58 AM   #15
Hari's Chick

Quote:
I think it is quite special that Michael mentions Here Comes The Sun, when you think of how high that song ranks within Beatles fans.
Yes, my favorite song.

I read once that Yesterday was a favorite of Michael's, too.
Old Nov 07, 2009, 08:01 AM   #16
FPSHOT
Sun King

ok well anyways...for those who are interested in what really happend and had nothing to do with rights or Paul or whatever other crap, i will post a new thread in the Premium Members forum for a download of the conversation between George and Michael.

Last edited by FPSHOT : Nov 07, 2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2009, 08:23 AM   #17
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
i probably talk a different language
Dutch?

How come Michael and George did this show together, does anyone know? It seems a rather unusual pairing to me.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2009, 08:44 AM   #18
beatlebangs1964

"Here Comes the Sun" has always been one of my favorite songs.

Old Nov 07, 2009, 10:52 AM   #19
edubeltran
Day Tripper

here comes the sun is indeed my fave song from all time, beatle written or not. I reckon there might be more musically " perfect" songs around ( George's Isn't it a pity comes across as one of them) but the thing is, HCTS provokes such a warming feeling inside... just the opening chords make me melt
Also, my son's music teacher explained how they use this song in therapy with autistic children... it's apparently magical to make them react, open themselves and express their feelings.. having seen the result in one of my son's classmates, I think George would be so happy to know this
edubeltran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2009, 01:10 AM   #20
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
Paul even said in an interview in recent years that MJ was dodging him and not taking his calls when Paul tried to buy back the songs HE wrote and put years of HIS life into.
I believe Paul said that he called him not to try and buy them but to ask for a "raise". From the research I have done on the topic, not only was Paul pretty luke warm on owning the publishing rights at the time before MJ bought them, Paul didn't have enough funds available (probably it was bound up in other assests) to buy them when they were up for sale. And then once Michael had them and Paul actually WANTED them, asking Yoko to get together and bid on them with him wasn't of much use since she reportedly said it was a blessing that MJ owned them. I don't know how true that is about Yoko but that is certainly one report I have read in a very good book.

Something else worth remembering here is that it is the written music and words - the publishing rights - that he bought. The rights to the recordings of the Beatles actually singing and playing their music is owned by EMI I believe.

Quote:
Hey! Not fair blaming Michael for Paul wanting a bargain!

Actually when the songs were bid for, Michael told Paul in advance he was going to bid on them. Michael, being a HUGE Beatles fan, wanted to own the rights to the songs. That is the exact same as ANY item of memoribilia any fan owns which is a one-off. No different. Both would generate money in different ways.

So, as a Beatles fan, MJ wanted the songs. FAIR. And he TOLD Paul he was going to bid on them. Paul knew this, but when he heard how the bidding had increased both he AND Yoko spoke and decided... TOGETHER.... the songs were "not worth Owning" for that amount of money.

How is this MJ's fault?! It is simply not. If another non-famous person had bid on them, would people feel the same way? Paul and/or Yoko would have to buy them at an advanced rate anyway! Obviously someone was bidding 'against' Michael to drive the bid up!

In later years Paul said he hoped to buy them off MJ cheaply because he was his friend, and Paul spoke to MJ about this. WHY should MJ sell them to Paul- one of the most wealthy men in Britian (at the time, maybe the most wealthy) for less money? Michael has just as much right to the nice things in life as Paul. Michael earned his money by sacrificing his entire childhood! Why would he be expected to give charity to Paul?

That is simply unfair!!! Paul should not expect charity. As wealthy as he is, he should pay market price for anything of this nature. To expect anything else is just completely silly and wrong.

Michael did nothing wrong and if I were Michael I'd have done the exact same thing. Michael had goals, a family, and let me say gave FAR more away for charity than anyone. He is listed among the top charible contributors- the TOP- in Guiness World Book of Records. This leads me to conclude Michael has his priorities very honorable and straight.

Business is like sports. There are rules to play by. If you bend the rules you are dishonorable. But if you play by the rules and are all given a fair chance, if nothing underhanded is done, then it is "let the best man (or woman) win!" If Michael and Paul played a game of soccer it would be the same. Michael should not let Paul win just because the game may be played in Liverpool and it would be nice and sentimental for Paul to win. This is not even how guys think. And in this business deal, both had enough money to keep 'playing.' Paul called the game when Michael was ahead- then regretted it. But that is NOT anything Michael did wrong.

Hmph.
Nice work girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post

Come to think of it, pretty sure there's another topic dealing with this very issue, isn't there?
Good point that Paul perhaps had his chance then but who knows - I wonder if he was even aware of the deal? It wasn't that Michael went around trying to pedal half of the catalogue away. Sony were verrrrrrrry cunning and careful when it came to dealings with Michael who was there biggest money maker at the time. Ultimately they treated him like dirt and the entire thing makes me very very angry BUT this is not the place to rant on about that....speaking of which, Hib i have noticed before that you are often trying to relegate and point out that comments belong in a different thread or whatever. Easy, my dear! This totally appears to have been a natural progression in this one so I think it's okay!!

Quote:
Yes, my favorite song.

I read once that Yesterday was a favorite of Michael's, too.
Yeah I have heard an interview with him where he says Yesterday and Eleanor Rigby are his tops.

I would love to hear this conversation when I have the time. Those two together - how very gorgeous.