BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Sep 06, 2006, 09:24 AM   #21
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie Girl
I wonder about that whole interview being a lot of BS.

Personally, I always thought that if a few more years had passed,
they would have gotten together for a single benefit performance,
like at the original Live Aid. And I think that if John was for it, then
George would have been, too.
Had John lived, I think there could have been some hope for a reunion of some sort at Live Aid. Would have been amazing... even if they had just performed their own solo stuff together.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2006, 09:53 AM   #22
Asha
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964
...nothing is real, and nothing to get hung about...

All throughout the Stinky Seventies I heard and read from one Beatle or another that they did not want a reunion and the world could cross that wish off its collective list. I have a lot of trouble believing this article. Perhaps it's just baloney and nothing (in it) is real....
I agree with BB. I was a huge fan in the 70s & remember the rumours back then. One or two of them would always say "no way" to a reunion. John was interviewed & actually said if they got together, it would be a bunch of old guys playing silly pop songs. Even then, they weren't that old... but it is hard to imagine them being 40, 40, 38 & 37 respectively singing "I Wanna Hold Your Hand".

Also, outrageous amounts of money were offered to them to play just once. They would mention how crazy that was. I mean, how would they play just once? & to who? & what would they sing? & how people would fight to get a ticket to the show. (You must remember that in the USA back then, people lined up for days for concert tickets & literally fought over who was really where in line. There were physical threats made against people.)

But the bottom line always went back to a couple of them saying no. & actually, I think it was a good idea. Some of these bands who do reunion tours... well, they don't sound as good or ... well, it's just not like you remember. I think the Beatles have remained perfectly intact for a reason.

However, I do often wonder if John would've played a part in the Anthology series, or would it have never happened? The world... will never know!
Asha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 04:44 AM   #23
Freda_Peeple
Dr. Robert

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy
And I think by now it woud have come up from Paul.
I agree. If there was a lick of truth to it, we probably would have heard it from Paul McCartney a long time ago. Given some of the negative things that John and Paul said about each other in the years after the breakup, I imagine that he would have been eager to let the public know that he was on such good terms with John, George, and Ringo, that they were considering a reunion shortly before John's death - if it were true, of course.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 09:10 PM   #24
Fluxus
Wild Honey Pie

This story is also in Larry Kane's new book - Lennon Revealed. "Can't Fight Lightning" would have at least been like "Ringo" (1973). But could've been all 4 on one track! We missed out on so much. BTW, Kane's book has a fascinating interview with the set designer for John's 1981 tour. It would have been amazing.
Fluxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2006, 02:59 PM   #25
AndersonCouncill
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennonluvr9
I dont know. I've heard so much about what was gonna happen & what the Beatles were planning to do I'm not sure what to believe
That's my feeling as well. I mean, all it does for me is make me think "Ahh, they were SOOOO close." and that isn't a happy feeling.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 08:04 AM   #26
Asha
Sun King

So sad that fans believe what they read. Honestly, that will be the future for Beatles fans. They will only know what's in books. My advice to younger fans, talk to as many people who remember the 60s & 70s as possible & learn about the Beatles that way. There's so much that authors don't even know to write about.
Asha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 10:24 AM   #27
Batman
Little Child

Send a message via AIM to Batman

Well, what don't they write about?
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2006, 05:40 AM   #28
gberman
Day Tripper

It's hard to know if the story is true--even if Paul offered his version now, I'd probably take it with a grain of salt.

It if is true, that would just be another example of Yoko f------g things up between the others.
gberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2006, 05:43 AM   #29
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

Would a reunion be good? I dont think so. The Beatles already did the best they could as the solo material proves.
Old Oct 08, 2006, 05:47 AM   #30
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

I disagree, not on the reunion part...I think they needed to move on......but I think some of their solo work surpasses much of the Beatles repetoire.
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2006, 05:50 AM   #31
See_How_They_Run
Rocky Raccoon

2 Things

1. Wasn't there a tape a while back that was recorded and people said that it was The Beatles but then got erased or something? Like it was some secret reunion....

2. SNL tried to get The Beatles back together for money, but it never happened....

Isn't This Where We Came In?
See_How_They_Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2006, 07:09 AM   #32
gberman
Day Tripper

I think the rumor about a tape of a Beatles reunion has been shown to be bogus.

And the SNL attempt to get them together was a sketch, not for real (although I believe Paul was actually visiting John that night, and they watched the show and even considered going down to the studio while it was on the air, but chickened out).
Old Oct 08, 2006, 09:40 AM   #33
See_How_They_Run
Rocky Raccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gberman
I think the rumor about a tape of a Beatles reunion has been shown to be bogus.

And the SNL attempt to get them together was a sketch, not for real (although I believe Paul was actually visiting John that night, and they watched the show and even considered going down to the studio while it was on the air, but chickened out).
1. Don't think so...not really sure....
http://www.momentsintime.com/Beatles%20Reunion.htm

2. I heard that it was for real.....and yea, they did consider going down there, but laughed it off....

Isn't This Where We Came In?

Last edited by See_How_They_Run : Oct 08, 2006 at 09:45 AM.
See_How_They_Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2006, 10:13 AM   #34
Jongo McHarrison
Nowhere Man

Bill Harry's John Lennon Encyclopedia (or Beatles Encyclopedia) cites November 28,1980 as the date in which John signed a legal depostion stating that the Beatles had plans to reunite for a documentary (then called The Long and Winding Road) which would culminate with them performing on stage at some point in the mid-80s.

Other than this I haven't heard anything else about this deposition from any other source, but given the fact that it's a claim made by Bill Harry I have no reason to doubt it's authenticity. It was made public in 1986 I think.

Now, I know that the Beatles were trying to stop the production of the stage show Beatlemania, and it could be that John was advised to annouce that the real Beatles were planning to get together to show how this stage show was impinging on their ability to use the name without having any real intention of ever going through with a reunion (the whole "we're going to get together in five years time" is a little vague) but given the fact that he did say that the Beatles would reform it's odd that this isn't brought up more often. And of course, Paul, George, and Ringo did go through with the Long and Winding Road albeit in a different name.

Does anyone know what John's thoughts were on the Anthology given that it was planned before his death?
Jongo McHarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2006, 12:06 PM   #35
wildewoman
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Paulrus
Beatles Reunion Was In Progress

December 8, 2005

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/..._progress.html

The Beatles were planning their reunion when John Lennon was murdered, according to the record producer working with the late rocker on the night he was shot.

And Douglas also claims Lennon's wife Yoko Ono actively blocked a Beatles reunion. He adds, "Let's just put it this way - Yoko discouraged Paul coming around.

"There was a writing session somewhere in the Dakota (building where Lennon and Ono lived) and there was one cancelled which John did not know about. He was told that Paul did not show. Paul was told that John was too busy to be working with him that day."
How the hell did Jack Douglas know what John and Paul themselves did not know? That makes no sense on its face.
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2006, 12:12 PM   #36
gberman
Day Tripper

Dear See_How_They_Run:

I've seen that website, there have been discussions about it in this forum...Too many holes in the story to think it was true. I'm pretty sure it's a hoax.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 05:00 PM   #37
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

I know this thread is pretty much ancient news, but I will mention one thing about the OP: Tom Petty did say in his book that Lennon was coming to sing on whatever album Ringo was working on the time. Petty was working on Hard Promises (note "WE LOVE YOU J.L.") and Ringo was at the same studio or something like that. Other than that I could not say.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 09:55 PM   #38
RubberSoulJah09
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by gberman View Post
Does anyone know if John or Paul was ever asked about this? I was curious about any comments they had regarding the SNL offer. It would've been awesome if they had appeared though!
RubberSoulJah09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:27 AM   #39
wildewoman
Taxman

I don't know about Paul, but John was asked about the SNL thing by David Sheff (the Playboy interview) in the summer of 1980. John answered by telling Sheff the story about how Paul and John saw that show together at John's house and the two of them entertained the idea of going down to 30 Rock together, just as a gag. Unfortunately they decided they were both too tired.

I think that's how that story first surfaced.

Last edited by wildewoman : Jan 14, 2011 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Clarification
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:38 AM   #40
Fighting Irish
Little Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshyne View Post
Sounds like some of you guys are getting the Bangledesh story confused with the charity concert in 1979 for Kampuchea where the 4 Beatles were going to play. But then John backed out either because "Yoko wouldnt' let him" or because he hadn't played live in so long (this WAS during the house husband time) and so the Beatles didn't perform. Paul was so distraught that Wings ended up performing their last live concert that night for the charity concert.

Sara
There are many stories about the Bangladesh show. Many accounts claim that George indeed did not want Yoko onstage, and that angered John. Paul backed out only because he didn't want Allen Klein taking credit for a "Beatles reunion".

As for Kampuchea, UN Sec. Gen. Kurt Waldheim reached out to Paul to assemble the benefit concert, hoping that he could round up the other three Beatles. John was still in 'retirement' but George and Ringo were open to the idea. When the rumors hit the press, and (I believe) the New York Post had big screaming headlines about a 'reunion', George and Ringo backed out. Even all through the concert, Paul hoped that any of them would show up, but it was eventually Wings and a bunch of other big-name bands McCartney recruited (such as the Who, Queen, the Clash, Elvis Costello, the Pretenders, etc.). The album of the concert is pretty good.

Last edited by Fighting Irish : Jan 16, 2011 at 09:38 AM.
Fighting Irish is offline   Reply With Quote