BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:10 PM   #1
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog

Default Beatles Reunion Was In Progress

Beatles Reunion Was In Progress

December 8, 2005

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/..._progress.html

The Beatles were planning their reunion when John Lennon was murdered, according to the record producer working with the late rocker on the night he was shot.

Jack Douglas, who produced Lennon's final album Double Fantasy, has revealed that Lennon and Paul McCartney were talking about working together on a Ringo Starr solo album.

Douglas says, "He and Paul planned to play on a Ringo album and that's how they were planning to do it, and George (Harrison) had not come aboard yet.

"George was already in a lot of hot water with John because of George releasing his autobiography and not really mentioning much of John in it. But I think they assumed that George would come along as soon as the thing got going."

And Douglas also claims Lennon's wife Yoko Ono actively blocked a Beatles reunion. He adds, "Let's just put it this way - Yoko discouraged Paul coming around.

"There was a writing session somewhere in the Dakota (building where Lennon and Ono lived) and there was one cancelled which John did not know about. He was told that Paul did not show. Paul was told that John was too busy to be working with him that day."
Old Aug 27, 2006, 02:00 AM   #2
FPSHOT
Sun King

I believe George was not the one to stay away because of something which had upset John.

I know that George has spoken about this in interviews, I should look it up sometime, but I can not see George staying away from a Ringo recording because of this.

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 06:50 AM   #3
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

Well,George really was on the outs with John when John passed away, from what I understand.

And surprise, surprise about all the Paul/John/Yoko stuff. And people say that Paul's a manipulator...sheesh.

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
erinluv182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 07:54 AM   #4
Georgie Girl
Sun King

I wonder about that whole interview being a lot of BS.

Personally, I always thought that if a few more years had passed,
they would have gotten together for a single benefit performance,
like at the original Live Aid. And I think that if John was for it, then
George would have been, too.

The west is
the best.
Georgie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 08:46 AM   #5
FPSHOT
Sun King

I agree, it all sounds like a fantasy story to me.

Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:54 AM   #6
wildewoman
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie Girl
I wonder about that whole interview being a lot of BS.

Personally, I always thought that if a few more years had passed,
they would have gotten together for a single benefit performance,
like at the original Live Aid. And I think that if John was for it, then
George would have been, too.

Well, I think that Jack Douglas has some animus against Yoko Ono. Didn't he sue her for back royalties or something back in the 80's?

People have been slagging Yoko from the get-go. Personally, I won't believe it until I get confirmation from Paul on this one.
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 02:46 PM   #7
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

And I think by now it woud have come up from Paul.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 03:48 PM   #8
John's Monkey
Nowhere Man

I remember reading somewhere that John had agreed to take place at the Concert for Bangladesh, but that Yoko wouldn't let him because George had stipulated that Yoko wouldn't get to be on stage.

Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream - John Lennon

A love like ours could never die, as long as I have you near me - Paul McCartney
John's Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 04:01 PM   #9
mccartneymaniac
Dr. Robert

Smile reunion

sure would have been nice life affords dreams that we often wish were realities too bad that can never be
Old Aug 27, 2006, 06:18 PM   #10
wildewoman
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John's Monkey
I remember reading somewhere that John had agreed to take place at the Concert for Bangladesh, but that Yoko wouldn't let him because George had stipulated that Yoko wouldn't get to be on stage.
Wouldn't "let" him? I remember that story a bit differently...he was terribly torn over the whole thing as I recall the story--not a case that Yoko wouldn't "let" him...
Old Aug 27, 2006, 06:26 PM   #11
Georgie Girl
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildewoman
Wouldn't "let" him? I remember that story a bit differently...he was terribly torn over the whole thing as I recall the story--not a case that Yoko wouldn't "let" him...
Didn't it have something to do with their horoscopes or something? And John kept putting off making a decision whether to play it or not?

The west is
the best.
Georgie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 07:49 PM   #12
FPSHOT
Sun King

From what I know, George wanted John to join on stage but did not want Yoko there, you may remember that at the time George had played with John a lot, but he often later also mentioned that he was 'not pleased' with the 'shouting' she did in her songs from that time.

So George did not want her on stage and John finally agreed to that, but coming back to the hotel John got in to a big fight with Yoko about this, packed his bags and flew back to London.

Old Aug 27, 2006, 09:51 PM   #13
wildewoman
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT
From what I know, George wanted John to join on stage but did not want Yoko there, you may remember that at the time George had played with John a lot, but he often later also mentioned that he was 'not pleased' with the 'shouting' she did in her songs from that time.

So George did not want her on stage and John finally agreed to that, but coming back to the hotel John got in to a big fight with Yoko about this, packed his bags and flew back to London.
That's more like it. Yoko didn't have any idea where the hell he went when he took off and spent all night worried about him. Allen Klein called Yoko the next day, said John had been calling him all night in an emotional state, and that she needed to go to London, to fetch him back, I suppose. She eventually did and found him crouched, distraught, in one of those bagism bags.

My take on the whole episode is that John was terribly torn about the whole situation and bolted. It was a rotten position for both George and Yoko to have put him in, and his reacton was less than stellar. Nobody behaved particularly honorably in that situation, but all-too-human.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 04:45 AM   #14
Legs
Sun King

So Yoko wouldn't let him.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 07:16 AM   #15
John's Monkey
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildewoman
That's more like it. Yoko didn't have any idea where the hell he went when he took off and spent all night worried about him. Allen Klein called Yoko the next day, said John had been calling him all night in an emotional state, and that she needed to go to London, to fetch him back, I suppose. She eventually did and found him crouched, distraught, in one of those bagism bags.

My take on the whole episode is that John was terribly torn about the whole situation and bolted. It was a rotten position for both George and Yoko to have put him in, and his reacton was less than stellar. Nobody behaved particularly honorably in that situation, but all-too-human.
Sounds similar to the story that Cynthia tells in "John" when Cyn's mom and Mimi first met and got into argument at Mendips. John was so distraught at this catastrophe that he bolted out the door and ran down Menlove.

Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream - John Lennon

A love like ours could never die, as long as I have you near me - Paul McCartney
John's Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 07:36 PM   #16
Starshyne
Apple Scruff

Sounds like some of you guys are getting the Bangledesh story confused with the charity concert in 1979 for Kampuchea where the 4 Beatles were going to play. But then John backed out either because "Yoko wouldnt' let him" or because he hadn't played live in so long (this WAS during the house husband time) and so the Beatles didn't perform. Paul was so distraught that Wings ended up performing their last live concert that night for the charity concert.

Sara

http://solobeatlesphotosforum.freeforums.org/
Starshyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 05:34 AM   #17
wildewoman
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshyne
Sounds like some of you guys are getting the Bangledesh story confused with the charity concert in 1979 for Kampuchea where the 4 Beatles were going to play. But then John backed out either because "Yoko wouldnt' let him" or because he hadn't played live in so long (this WAS during the house husband time) and so the Beatles didn't perform. Paul was so distraught that Wings ended up performing their last live concert that night for the charity concert.

Sara

Interesting. I didn't know about that.

I might be unorthodox here, but I don't know if a public Beatles reunion would have been such a great thing. The expectations would have been so enormous...people would have expected nothing less than the Second Coming and how could they possibly have lived up to that? As it was, I was not particularly impressed by the efforts of the "Threetles" on John's demos during the Anthology. I mean, it was touching to hear Paul's voice chime in with John's once again during the middle eight and all that, but, otherwise...meh.

Their story as it stands has an aesthetic and dramatic symmetry and completeness. You couldn't make this stuff up.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:31 AM   #18
BeatleGuy
Apple Scruff

I think Jack Douglas may/ might have having to many mushrooms. Anything he says is to be taken with a real grain of salt. All John did as part of an apple agreement was ok the anthology project that started out with the title "The long and winding road".
BeatleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2006, 08:15 PM   #19
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

...nothing is real, and nothing to get hung about...

All throughout the Stinky Seventies I heard and read from one Beatle or another that they did not want a reunion and the world could cross that wish off its collective list. I have a lot of trouble believing this article. Perhaps it's just baloney and nothing (in it) is real....

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 05, 2006, 06:11 AM   #20
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I dont know. I've heard so much about what was gonna happen & what the Beatles were planning to do I'm not sure what to believe

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote