BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Oct 24, 2002, 04:11 AM   #21
FPSHOT
Sun King

Default Re: Stories about George

I picked this one up as well, when I was scrolling for some George & Ravi info.

They could have taken another picture to lead the story.

------------------
"Sometimes I feel like I'm on the wrong planet..I feel great when I'm in my gardens, but the moment I go out of the gate, I think What the hell am I doing here"
George Harrison, probably 2001.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 07:15 PM   #22
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

More really nice George stories can be found in Before He Was Fab, which Lou co-authored. I love the story of George playing with the Four Vests, a Benton band and one of the Vests telling him "that with the right backing, son you'll go far." Indeed he did.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 10:56 AM   #23
Harry
Nowhere Man

When I turned on the radio at dawn a few weeks back and heard George Harrison's song All Things Must Pass I figured the one-time Beatle had died. Cancer. I loved the Beatles. The song faded and the sky brightened but my mind lingered on the melody, remembering the Beatles and their music. I remembered Shelby Moss got kicked out of elementary school in '64 because his "long" Beatle haircut provoked an outrage which reminded me that Bobby Slaughter got suspended from highschool in '76 because his skinhead look was deemed disruptive. They're probably both bald now; all things must pass. My reverie carried me and my cup of coffee from school to Strawberry Fields, and from Pepperland all the way to India before coming to a halt for a red light at the intersection of highway sixty eight and Blanco Road on the outskirts of Salinas.

You know Salinas. Steinbeck set his novel East of Eden near Salinas. Janis Joplin sang of losing her lover "somewhere near Salinas" in the ballad Me and Bobby McGee that she covered on her last record album. When Salinas isn't a cold and windy back drop for tales of fraternal jealousy, murder, heartbreak and lost love it is the cold and windy capital of California's fresh produce industry. I go there often to buy boxes, labels, staples, seeds or irrigation supplies. I grew up near there too, in the mountains to the south and east, visiting often enough but never quite warming to its frigid charm.

One day maybe 27, 28 years ago my mother, sister and I were leaving Salinas on Highway 68 in our Volkswagen bus. Mom pulled up at the stoplight at the intersection with Blanco Road right in from of Star Market. Another Volkswagen bus, older and rattier than ours, was idling in the next lane. My mother glanced over at the other vehicle and remarked how the driver looked like George Harrison. The resemblance was so striking it was funny. We all had a good laugh. I remember thinking that someday I would be able to measure my wealth by the distance I had traveled from Salinas. Several miles down the highway we made a left turn to go over Los Laureles Grade and the hippy bus in front of us made a right hand turn into the entrance of the Laguna Seca raceway.

Salinas 28 years ago wasn't much different than Salinas today, just smaller. Salinas is to fresh vegetables what Paris or Milan are to fashion. All the industry leaders have offices there from the titanic Dole and the behemoth T & A down to the merely gargantuan Mann Packing, Merrill Farms or Nunez companies. Massive cold storage facilities squat on the valley floor like toadstools. Long haul refrigerated semi trucks growl around waiting to be serviced by swarms of beeping, whirring forklifts. In the offices walls of clocks mark time for New York, Chicago, Denver, Honolulu and Tokyo. Inventories rise and fall like blood pressure. Salinas is impressive in its own way but it's not even remotely groovy.

A few days after our shopping trip to Salinas I was flipping through the newspaper and I noticed a photo of George Harrison in the sports section. He was posed next to a racing car in the pit at Laguna Seca taking his own turn at being someone's ardent fan.

Maybe I'm thinking about George Harrison so much today because we are digging this years first crop of red carrots. Red carrots come from India. Before Harrison's sitar solo on Norwegian Wood a lot of backwoods ignorati like myself would have hardly been aware of India's existence.

When I first grew the red carrots I sold them as Persian red carrots as per my seed dealer's instructions. An Indian woman paused in front of my market stall, paid for a big pile of the bright red roots, and then rebuked me. "The Persians have nothing they didn't steal," she said. "The carrots are Indian."

People, people, people. George Harrison tried to reach beyond the spitefulness that separates neighbors. In 1971 he used his celebrity and influence to produce the first rock and roll charity concert, the Concert for Bangladesh. Audiences, both at New York's Madison Square Gardens watching the show live and later kids like myself listening in by the record player were treated to performances by a Hindu, Ravi Shankar, India's master of the sitar, as he played for the benefit of Muslim Bangladeshis. The event was a gracious gesture that focused attention on our eternal option of forgiveness and charity over strife. We could use some of this energy now.

I've since researched the red carrot. Yes, it does come from India, but is also native across Persia and Afghanistan. It is an interesting carrot with a rich flavor. It is a very beautiful and healthy food but you don't see it here too often. My experience has taught me this is a plant which is difficult to cultivate with success outside of its native region. I've found that this carrot performs best if I plant it early in the fall for a midwinter harvest, otherwise it may go straight to flower without ever making a fat root. Indian shoppers have told me that even in India it is most common in the markets during the winter. The challenges I've faced learning when to plant it remind me of my life before I became a farmer, when I gardened for the fun of it, cultivating obscure plants just to see them grow.

George Harrison didn't spend much time on stage after The Concert for Bangladesh. He focused instead on his interest in religion and gardening. He even dedicated his autobiography to "gardeners everywhere." As a former and future gardener I could appreciate that nod of recognition. Gardening is love, art and a meditation. Farming has to be a business. George Harrison could afford to maintain lush ornamental gardens in both England and Hawaii because as a musician he'd been bought and sold like a sowbelly. His music is admirable to me because he managed so often to slide a touch of soul into even the most commercial product he performed on.

Unlike George Harrison I've never made it too far from Salinas. I've realized it doesn't matter anyhow. The chill I feel there isn't the town or the people, it's not the icy breath of the refrigerated warehouses or even the cold wind coming in off the Pacific; it's the objective logic of business that reduces food to a product and work relationship to dollars per hour that feels so cold. As long as I'm in farming I'll always have to play along with Salinas no matter where I drop seed. I enjoy a lot of what I do and I make the compromises I have to. But I try to take a cue from a guitar player I admire, and bend a few notes here and there, in spite of the conventions of my industry, just to add a little color and depth. This week red carrots are my bent note. Hello red carrots, goodbye Mr. Harrison, and see you later Salinas.

Copyright 2002 Andy Griffin
Old May 31, 2006, 06:14 PM   #24
beatlebangs1964

What a wonderful story, Harry! Where is Hwy 68? And I love the Beatle haircut story - I think Beatle haircuts look prime!

A cool George story that I've read is an account from George's only sister. According to Lou, George was exposed to music from India in utero because they'd all listen to an Indian radio program. Lou thought that might have reached George even then, thus sparking his later interest in things from India. I thought that was a nice story.

Another George story that I love was when George was visiting his only sister in Benton, IL and met a local band known as the Four Vests. I love the stories of George playing with the Vests and of being interviewed on a local radio show in Benton late the summer of 1963.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:35 AM   #25
FPSHOT
Sun King

It is maybe not really a 'story' but I saw this in Michael Palin's book about his 'around the world in 80 days' and thought it is quite funny, oh except the last part about the stampede ofcourse.

It even has a reference to a Harrisong.

"Day 27, 21 October - Extraordinary night of dreams. A series of benevolent nightmares on the theme of travelling but never arriving. Recurring images of friends and home veering wildly from the modern (new information systems being installed at Swiss Cottage underground) to a Hardyesque world of country pubs and masques and morris dances. An Indian postal official dumps his sports bag in my car, I try desperately to ring my wife and tell her why I'm in Washington D.C. with George Harrison and the next moment I'm driving a Mini over a ploughed field. The reality is that I'm in India, which is more bizarre than any of my dreams. I read in my Times of India at breakfast that fourteen people were killed yesterday in a stampede at Jamshedpur during the immersion of their goddess in the local river.

Last edited by FPSHOT : Jun 19, 2006 at 01:37 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 10:11 AM   #26
Hari's Chick

What an amazing and gifted writer he is! Thank you for sharing this!
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:31 PM   #27
sadie
Sun King

A section from Joshua M Greene - A Formula For Spiritual Health.

<SPAN>When friends came to visit, George would remind them to take time to live every moment to its fullest. He would ramble on about plants and flowers and hug his friends for minutes on end, not wanting them to leave before knowing how much he loved them. In their eyes he glowed with a truth that has faded in the burning fires of a world at war: that the worth of a person dwells inside, in something eternal and pure regardless of karma or politics or religious beliefs.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 02:22 PM   #28
Hari's Chick

Thumbs up

Aww, Sadie, that is beautiful....
Old Jun 19, 2006, 03:02 PM   #29
FPSHOT
Sun King

Thanks Sadie, that is really nice to read

Old Jun 20, 2006, 03:26 AM   #30
Siobhan
Old Brown Shoe

It is beautiful, there are many lovely stories here, thanks for sharing everyone.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 03:45 AM   #31
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

Lovely stories!! I know that they are all far more serious than this one but a George story I have always enjoyed is how he looked up to John so much in the early days that he followed him everywhere and even went to the hospital to visit Cyn when she had had her tonsils out and that she started crying when she saw him coming!!! Gotta love that one.

Also I like that one about him eating turkey at thanksgiving despite being a strict veggie because his friend's wife who was dying of cancer had cooked it for him without remembering that he didn't eat animals. So very gracious.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 03:48 AM   #32
Siobhan
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy

Also I like that one about him eating turkey at thanksgiving despite being a strict veggie because his friend's wife who was dying of cancer had cooked it for him without remembering that he didn't eat animals. So very gracious.
Yes I remember reading that story. I must admit it brought a little tear to my eye.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 04:00 AM   #33
sadie
Sun King

This isn't really a story either but its interesting reading.

http://www.mcn.org/greatbear/george.htm
Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:02 PM   #34
FPSHOT
Sun King

This here has not been touched for a while

I saw this in the Henley Standard

January 16, 2004

TWENTY-FIVE YEARS AGO Henley Standard, January 12th, 1979. The week long endurance drive organised by Maltin Car Concessionaires Ltd. of Henley in aid of the Gunnar Nilsson Cancer Treatment Campaign, was in full swing yesterday (Thursday) with the sponsored car having covered about 8,000 miles. The event involves running a Porsche 924 continuously for seven days and seven nights. During the day time big names from the entertainment world and other Maltins customers have been driving the car round the Silverstone racing circuit. Local showbusiness names who were at the start of the event on Saturday included George Harrison, Kenny Lynch and Jethro Tull.

Btw - Who is Kenny Lynch? an English singer, songwriter, entertainer and actor from London. Lynch appeared in many variety shows in the 1960s.

Whilst on a coach with The Beatles (on tour with Helen Shapiro), Lynch reportedly offered to help them write a song, but quickly became frustrated and criticised their ability to compose music - at the time Lennon and McCartney were writing "From Me to You".[1] Years later he appeared on the album cover of Wings' 1973 album, Band on the Run, along with other celebrities.

.................................................. ......

Henley Standard

September 8th, 1978 In a top secret operation, kept secret from his family and close friends, former Beetle George Harrison was married at Henley Register Office on Saturday — just five weeks after his wife, Olivia, gave birth to their son. George married Mexican-born Olivia Trinidad Arias while his eldest brother Harry was out playing a Saturday morning round of golf and neither he nor his other brother Peter knew of the marriage until later.

.................................................. ........

Henley Standard, March 2003
TONY Lane was voted out of local government last week — after serving 38 years as a town councillor and 27 years on South Oxfordshire District Council. mayor of Henley four times, including one occasion when he voted himself in on the casting vote, Mr. Lane has rubbed shoulders with royalty and was awarded the MBE in 1995 for his services to the community. ................... As one of Henley’s leading figures over the past four decades Mr. Lane has been involved in some of the town’s biggest talking points in recent history. He led the fight to Save the Regal as chairman of the campaign, working closely with stars such as the late George Harrison to save the town’s only cinema.

.................................................. .......

Henley Standard, march 2, 2003

GARDENER FOUND DEAD The body of a Henley gardener has been found in Sussex. John Laye, aged 34, had moved to Eastbourne recently but continued to work in the Henley area. He had previously managed the former Engbers Garden Centre and had worked for George Harrison in the Friar Park gardens.

Old Nov 16, 2008, 07:48 AM   #35
beatlebangs1964

I love the story about when Lou flew to NY in 1964 to nurse George back to health so he could play on television with the other boys.

I also like that story about how Harold Sr. and George met President Ford.

Old Nov 28, 2008, 06:35 PM   #36
FPSHOT
Sun King

One of the people George highly admired was Carl Perkins.

In his biography, Carl Perkins said that of all the guitarists he'd known, when he played with George it was like they were one person.

Maui gave ex-Beatle Harrison the quiet he craved

By Timothy Hurley
Advertiser Maui County Bureau

WAILUKU, Maui — The Quiet Beatle lived up to his nickname on Maui in a big way, rarely leaving his estate, keeping a low profile and never performing in public, as far as anyone can recall, during the 20 years he counted himself as a part-time resident.

George Harrison, 58, who died of cancer Thursday in Los Angeles, escaped suffocating celebrity by coming to Maui and embracing the local community in Nahiku.

"He gravitated toward the people of the earth. He had a fondness for them,'' said Michael Spalding, who represented Harrison in his real estate and financial dealings when he first purchased his 63-acre East Maui property in 1981. He would later buy more than 100 additional acres there.

"When he came to Maui, he didn't seek out the mighty, the rich and the powerful. He sought out the Hawaiians. He was very loyal to the people he befriended, and they were very loyal to him,'' Spalding said.

Nahiku residents, such as Arnold Allencastre, knew Harrison simply as Keoki.

"He was a good guy, a nice guy,'' said Allencastre, whose father once owned the land Harrison had acquired. "He liked the local people, too.''

Harrison hired Allencastre, a heavy-equipment operator, to help clear his land so he could build his house and plant his gardens. But their relationship wasn't just a working one. Allencastre and his wife, Cynthia, would socialize with the Harrisons. George and his wife, Olivia, would come to their parties and they, in turn, would be invited to an occasional lunch.

The last time Allencastre saw Harrison was about a year ago when he and Olivia stopped by to say hello and catch up on what was happening in town.

Former caretaker Dot Pua remembers Harrison as a sweet and thoughtful boss. One time, when she was cutting his hair, Harrison asked about her favorite songs. Her reply was, " 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' by Kenny Rankin," and a couple other tunes. Harrison didn't say anything.

It was only years later, while leafing through a Beatles songbook, that she discovered that "While My Guitar Gently Weeps'' was written by Harrison.

"My goodness, he must have thought I was so dumb,'' she said.

Pua, now a beautician at the Hotel-Hana Maui, said her time at the Harrison estate was a wonderful experience.

"But it made me appreciate my simple life,'' she said. "When I was hired, Olivia told me my life will change — and it did. We got a dog and locked the doors, something we never did before. Strangers kept coming onto the property.''

Strangers were something Harrison worked hard to avoid and that aversion exploded into a lawsuit with neighbors who were allowing visitors to use a path over his property to get to the ocean. The lawsuit was finally settled this year.

"He used to tell me that he wanted to be famous, but after three or four months it was the worst thing that happened to him,'' said restaurateur Bob Longhi, who was introduced to the former Beatle in 1977 and continued as a friend.

"George was a super guy, a humble-type person. He wasn't like, 'I'm George Harrison.' He was fun-loving.''

Harrison fell in love with Maui, Longhi said, and in 1979 wrote "Soft-Hearted Hana,'' dedicating it to Longhi on his "George Harrison'' album.

Paul Weinstein, owner of Bounty Music in Kahului, remembers the former Beatle coming into his shop anywhere from six to a dozen times over the years.

He said Harrison was fascinated with the 'ukulele and bought perhaps as many as a dozen over the years.

During one visit, Weinstein allowed him to try out various instruments in an office behind the Hana Highway store.

"It was one of the thrills of my life,'' he said. "Whoever thought I'd be able to sit in a room, just me and him, and be able to hear him try out some instruments.''

Maui guitarist Harry Troupe, a former Bounty Music manager, said he was stunned to find Harrison in the shop one day.

"He was so humble to me,'' he said. "It really floored me to see a guy of that stature treat me the way he did. You could just feel the warmth from him.''

Old Nov 28, 2008, 06:44 PM   #37
hibgal
Sun King

"Nahiku residents... knew Harrison simply as Keoki."

This made me smile. Keoki is Hawaiian for George!

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2008, 04:23 AM   #38
beatlebangs1964

No doubt George LOVED Perkins' stellar endorsement!

Who could forget George, Carl, et al. in 1985 at their "hootenanny?" That was an INCREDIBLE show!

Old Dec 03, 2008, 07:47 PM   #39
FPSHOT
Sun King

Here is a nice story from Nancy Andrews

Daytrippin': And you met George Harrison before all of them. (Her boyfriend at the time, Carl Radle, played bass on All Things Must Pass and The Concert for Bangla Desh.) What was George like?

Nancy Lee Andrews: George was quiet but had this intensity when he talked to you. Again, this guy loved music and it was all about the music. His wife at the time, Pattie Boyd, was great to hang out with. She's a creative woman and a wonderful person.

A few years later Ringo and I went to visit him and Olivia at Friar Park in 1979. They were so happy. Olivia cooked a delicious dinner, he played the guitar and we wandered around that huge mansion while he told us its history.

He opened a door, I think it was in the kitchen and handed us candles and told us to follow him. I thought, Oh, we're going to the spooky cellar but the stairs kept going down and down and finally we landed on a flat surface. I looked, and couldn't believe what I saw... it was a cave complete with stylolites. Walkways through a cavern. There was even a stream running through it! I had my camera with me and we had a hilarious time shooting with and without the flash. I have so many incredible pictures of us in that cave.

After that we settled in his study/music room and he handed me a bowl of rubies... big ones, small ones that were all cabachons. It was days before my birthday and he said to pick what ever I want and have something made. While he and Ringo talked and played the guitar I settled in front of the fireplace and designed a necklace with lots of hanging rubies. One of those nights I'll never forget.

Old Dec 04, 2008, 01:13 PM   #40
beatlebangs1964

There is a website for translation of names into Hawaiian, but I am not sure what that website is.

Is "Keoki" Hawaiian for George?

Interesting, George quoted as having once wanted fame. He was the one who said, "I said I wanted to be successful. I never said I wanted to be famous."

Interesting also that Nancy Andrews described George as intense. I have thought of George as intense all along. His eyes, from an infant on radiated an intensity that was almost startling at times (Lou the Elder had ocular intensity and that was a maternal trait George inherited). Interesting also, he had the deep set Harrison eyes and the blazing French intensity. His music is also very intense.

Nancy Andrews, who once thought she'd be married to Ringo had some interesting insight on George.

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Dec 04, 2008 at 01:16 PM.