BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Aug 13, 2005, 06:56 PM   #61
GeorgieGirl
Wild Honey Pie

Send a message via MSN to GeorgieGirl Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgieGirl

I was curious after some previous discussion what defines a Beatle? What would make a person a Beatle? Having played with the Beatles? That is the feeling I go about Pete Best. After some discussion with outside sources not apart of Beatlelinks or any board, aka, face to face, the question came up, if P.B. played with the early Beatles, does that make someone like Preston a Beatle, as he played with the Beatles. Etc... Just a question.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 08:30 PM   #62
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgieGirl
I was curious after some previous discussion what defines a Beatle? What would make a person a Beatle?
Interesting question, actually. I guess how I personally would define it is anybody who was a full-time member (as opposed to a guest) of the band at any time when their name was "The Beatles". So in that respect, I guess I would consider that Pete was a Beatle, but people who guested on their albums wouldn't be.

If Pete wants to make a buck out of being one of the most famous people to have ever gotten fired, more power to him. I saw his band play last summer in Liverpool and after four songs, we left to get pizza. I was curious to see him because of the Beatle connection, but his band just didn't cut it for me. Obviously, others may feel differently.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 08:41 AM   #63
GeorgieGirl
Wild Honey Pie

What didn't you like about his band? What kind of music do they play? I've never heard any of it or anyone who has.

I would be curious to know what Paul and Ringo think about his band. Funny that none of the four final Beatles ever asked him to jam with them. I wonder why?

Last edited by GeorgieGirl : Aug 14, 2005 at 08:42 AM.
GeorgieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 11:46 AM   #64
jesgear
Sun King

I saw The Pete Best Band in Rembrandt, Iowa, July 2003. Their set consisted of Pete Best tracks from Anthology 1 and other '50s classics. It was entertaining and a thrill to meet Pete, but they were no Beatles as far as the show's performance.

jesgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 04:39 PM   #65
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgieGirl
What didn't you like about his band? What kind of music do they play?
They played a lot of random late 50's and early 60's oldies. I just didn't think the singers were very good. They weren't awful, they just weren't interesting enough to make us stick around when we were hungry.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 06:27 PM   #66
GeorgieGirl
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
The former Beatles drummer Pete Best threw out the first pitch Saturday as part of the White Sox' weekend tribute to the band, which played two shows at Comiskey Park on Aug. 20, 1965. Best played the drums with a Beatles tribute band outside U.S. Cellular Field before Saturday's game.
Rest of the story...

Last edited by GeorgieGirl : Aug 21, 2005 at 06:31 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2005, 07:49 PM   #67
SF4-EVER

GeorgieGirl, the link's not working for me--something seems to be messed up with the URL.

My novella, Lyon's Legacy, about a scientist traveling back to the TwenCen to visit her fictional rock star ancestor, is now available as an e-book from Amazon, B&N, and Smashwords and in paper from CreateSpace and Amazon.
SF4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2005, 06:47 PM   #68
GeorgieGirl
Wild Honey Pie

You're right the link is broken. I couldn't get back to the story because it required a password. Sorry.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 05:25 PM   #69
pbfan
Fool On The Hill

I'm just a fan of the music..and the history. It's about the music. Always. Simple. Was pete one of the "Fab four" beatles that were launched --and ingrained -- in the U.S. on 2/9/64? Was he in HArd Days Night? Nope, not at all. But..was he a part of the launching pad...was he there at the genesis with Stu? In the trenches doing the tought long 7-8 hour nights that made them tighter entertainers? yes. It's historical fact, yes. No, Pete wasn't on the cover of "Meet the Beatles" nor was he there for the 1963-70 career..or the cartoons or lunchpails or Hollywood Bowl etc etc. However, he did play 1,000+ live sets in hamburg and liverpool that, by Lennon's own admission "we were at our best when playing the dance halls and clubs of hamburg and liverpool..the world never got to see that." Heck, Paul McC called Pete personally to invite him to join the band before they were even known as the beatles. I don't believe anyone is suggesting that history be re-written or spun differently to satisfy an agenda. It's odd to see comments like "Stu would have succeeded on his own", while Pete is handily dismissed as an afterthought. If anyone says Pete was not a beatle,..then by default, Stu (RIP) was not a beatle either.

However, any beatles fan can derive an even greater appreciation of the group and the evolution of the sound and the excitiment simply by digging deeper into the history of all the members, the post WW2 era, and the american music they played coming in from the liverpool docks. ...and how it came to "gel" for them, starting out in the Best basement...and then Hamburg and liverpool. Regardless of Pete's role...it's still a great story...and very well-documented. The greatest part is...that old chuck berry music and larry williams music STILL kicks major tail when played live.

Does each of us in our own career use our gifts and relationships to move ahead and make a better life for ourselves ? Of course. So, why begrudge PB for bringing the Anthology music live to the masses? He had been asked to do it for fans.....and he does it gladly, knowing how much joy it brings.

No matter how it worked out...the core Quarrymen of John Paul and George were going to be huge. Pete was there with them as they morphed into the Beatles. The cool thing is: For fans of the music......someone is out there playing it live for the fans. Cry for a Shadow? My Bonnie? What beatles fan or historian ever thought they would ever be able to hear those songs played live? It's not a point worth arguing really. It's just some fun historical fact that is better enjoyed over a beer while thumbing through the pages of True Beginnings (with Foreword by Paul himself). It's almost like arguing over the real reasons for the civil war in the US.
pbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 06:53 PM   #70
GeorgieGirl
Wild Honey Pie

Thanks for the excellent perspective.

Last edited by GeorgieGirl : Aug 30, 2005 at 07:42 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 01:47 PM   #71
lizmac
Fool On The Hill

The Pete Best Band Fall Tour 2005 (US and Canada)

Friday, October 21, 2005 - Surf Ballroom
Clear Lake, Iowa
www.surfballroom.com
Leon Russell is also on the bill...check out the website for more info.

Saturday, October 22, 2005 - Mall of America
Bloomington, Minneapolis
www.mallofamerica.com
Battle of the Bands (Beatles influence), PBB judging and performing

FREE TO THE PUBLIC

Sunday, October 23, 2005 - What Cheer Opera House
What Cheer, Iowa
www.iowadance.com/whoh/wcoh.html

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - Casbah
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
(905) 526-6192

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - J's Place (Habitat for Humanity benefit)
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
(519) 759-6927

TICKETS CAN BE PURCHASED BY CALLING THE VENUE

Friday, October 28, 2005 - The Boulton Center for the Performing Arts
Bayshore, New York
with special guests...Pete Santora and
straight outta NYC - The Johnny Black Band
www.boultoncenter.org

TICKETS GO ON SALE WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 2005

Saturday October 29, 2005 - Chiller Theatre
Autograph show w/Pete Best (day time)
The Pete Best Band LIVE (night time)
(time to be confirmed...will be posted)
E. Rutherford, NJ
www.chillertheatre.com

Sunday, October 30, 2005 - Chiller Theatre
Autograph show w/Pete Best (day time)
E. Rutherford, NJ
www.chillertheatre.com

Sunday, October 30, 2005 - Kenny's Castaways
in the heart of Greenwich Village, NYC
www.kennyscastaways.net

We are also in the process of creating an official Pete Best Band Fan Club.
For more information check out www.petebest.com or contact me personally lizmac@sbcglobal.net

All the Best!
lizmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 05:12 PM   #72
GeorgieGirl
Wild Honey Pie

Are they coming to California?

Excellent picture!
Old Sep 16, 2005, 08:14 AM   #73
jesgear
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizmac
The Pete Best Band Fall Tour 2005 (US and Canada)

Friday, October 21, 2005 - Surf Ballroom
Clear Lake, Iowa
www.surfballroom.com
Leon Russell is also on the bill...check out the website for more info.

Saturday, October 22, 2005 - Mall of America
Bloomington, Minneapolis
www.mallofamerica.com
Battle of the Bands (Beatles influence), PBB judging and performing

FREE TO THE PUBLIC

Sunday, October 23, 2005 - What Cheer Opera House
What Cheer, Iowa
www.iowadance.com/whoh/wcoh.html
Very cool. These three appearances are not far from me. I will definitely be attending as many as I can.

Incidentally, the Surf Ballroom is the last place Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper performed before their plane crash.

jesgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 08:59 PM   #74
lizmac
Fool On The Hill

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

THE NEW DVD

THE BEST OF THE BEATLES

IS TO BE SHOWN ON PBS STATIONS ON SEPTEMBER 28, 2005 8 P.M. - 9 P.M. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LISTINGS AT THIS LINK

http://www.pbs.org/previews/thebeatles/

Please join us on the official Pete Best website at www.petebest.com and become a contributor on the Message Boards as we FINALLY get to see and hear the TRUE BEGINNINGS of the Beatles. I'm sure the Message Boards will be hoppin' in the next few days! Hope to see you there!
This DVD can be purchased at http://lightyear.com/movies/index.htm

CUT AND PASTE THE ABOVE NOTE AND PASS IT ON TO EVERYONE ON YOUR E-MAIL LIST

ALL THE BEST!
Old Sep 27, 2005, 09:32 PM   #75
lizmac
Fool On The Hill

DThe band just left northern CA a few weeks ago. They had to head back to Liverpool to work on the new CD The Original (release date Spring 06). They are returning to the states for this Fall '05 tour on the east coast...I'm heading out there for a long week-end...for this Boulton Center for the Performing Arts show....with Pete Santora and The Johnny Black Band...I will make sure to check in here! That is one show I wanted to attend. Great venue....great show...why travel for anything less? Get your tickets early, special VIP tix...only 64 of them will be offered. Private meet and greet with Pete Best before the show...he will no longer be doing signings after shows. If you want to meet Pete, we are offering new avenues. If you are a member of the official Pete Best Band Fan Club or the Pete Best Street Team, we offer you the opportunity to meet with Pete before a show (contingent on time, which we know you will understand)
www.boultoncenter.com/eventView.asp?idEvent=364n
just wanted to give you a heads up....
We don't mind if people hook up the band with contacts. GeorgieGirl....send me an e-mail...the band loves CA...if you can send some venues that might fit for the Pete Best Band, send them along to me. Let's get a dialogue going.
Looking forward to seeing some of you on petebest.com to discuss the new DVD The Best of the Beatles.
All the Best!

Last edited by lizmac : Sep 27, 2005 at 09:36 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:00 AM   #76
matt5
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart
Interesting question, actually. I guess how I personally would define it is anybody who was a full-time member (as opposed to a guest) of the band at any time when their name was "The Beatles". So in that respect, I guess I would consider that Pete was a Beatle, but people who guested on their albums wouldn't be.
I agree. Pete Best definately was a Beatle.
make a country dream come true
matt5 is offline   Reply With Quote