BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Aug 03, 2002, 09:09 AM   #1
LeonardaBeatle
Rocky Raccoon

Default Stories about George

Story No. 1:
George always loved this candy called jelly babies, and John wrote this note to himself about how much George loved them. Apparently, some news reporter found the note and put it in his news column. At the Beatles' next concert, from then on, girls were throwing jelly babies at George. It was a horror because it would always plunk a bad note off his guitar. To make things worse, they were on a circular stage, so it was coming at them from ALL SIDES!

After a concert one time, John, Paul, and Ringo managed to get in the car before they were trampled down by all the fans. George was hiding in the bathroom, when a friend of his came in. George told him about the situation, and the friend got their driver to strip down to the waist. He gave the clothes to George, who put them on, and went out to the car, and everyone saw him, but nobody guessed it was him. The other Beatles howled with laughter when they saw him, because George was so skinny and scrawny, and the driver's uniform was so big.

When George fell in love with Pattie, they wanted to keep it a secret, but somehow, the press found out. At that time, John was married to Cynthia. The press was waiting downstairs in the hotel lobby. As soon as John and George came down, the reporters started bombing them with questions and taking pictures. "Where are the ladies?" "Come on, John, just one picture with them. We've come a hell of a long way."
"Well so have we!" screamed John. "You've had your f***ing party, now we're getting the f*** out of here!" And with that, John grabbed George's wrist, and together, they belted their way throughout the crowd.
Meanwhile, upstairs, Cynthia and Pattie were disguised as two cleaning maids. They took a cab to the airport where John and George were waiting impatiently. They howled with laughter when they saw them.
As they made their way to the plane, more people were waiting for them. "I guess our secret is out," said George. "Model Pattie Boyd and Beatle George Harrison have become a very nice couple!"

One time George, Pattie, Cynthia, and John were over at their friend's house, who was a dentist. John and George both took LSD, and when they got in the car to go home, the dentist said, "I wouldn't reccommend it after taking LSD."
"We'll be fine," said George. The dentist, however, wasn't convinced. He hailed a cab after them. When George realized they were being followed, he started driving at a breakneck speed, so it was almost like some kind of car chase.

George never liked being famous.

------------------
All you need is love!

Peace, love, and harmony from LeonardaBeatle
LeonardaBeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2002, 07:42 AM   #2
Hari's Chick

Default Re: Stories about George

Thanks for the George stories! And welcome to Links!!!

------------------
"Still Krishna after all these years" ~ George
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2002, 06:25 PM   #3
LuvLennon
Wild Honey Pie

Welcome to BeatleLinks LeonardaBeatle! "

------------------
Claudia
LuvLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 07, 2002, 11:51 PM   #4
MithrilGuitar
Rocky Raccoon

Thanks for the stories!

------------------
~ and ~
*MithrilGuitar*

I've been here a while now, so shameless advertising is allowed to kick in! Visit my site! (Please) http://thechicklettes.tripod.com
MithrilGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 07, 2002, 12:14 PM   #5
Sally
Sgt. Pepper

There are some lovley stories about George I like these:

The one about he and Paul hitch hiking as kids down to Devon and meeting two girls who kept them warm on the beach(oh how I wish I was one of them!).

The little switch by his front door he switched every night before he went to bed to turn the moon off.

Y'know all the cool stories you probably all know.

Anymore faves anyone?

------------------
"But they do though don't they though, don't they?"
Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2002, 06:54 AM   #6
LeonardaBeatle
Rocky Raccoon

In case any of you were wondering, I got all those stories from Dark Horse: The Life and Art of George Harrison, by Geoffrey Giuliano. Great book!

------------------
All you need is love!

Peace, love, and harmony from LeonardaBeatle
LeonardaBeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 07:15 PM   #7
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

More really nice George stories can be found in Before He Was Fab, which Lou co-authored. I love the story of George playing with the Four Vests, a Benton band and one of the Vests telling him "that with the right backing, son you'll go far." Indeed he did.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 10:56 AM   #8
Harry
Nowhere Man

When I turned on the radio at dawn a few weeks back and heard George Harrison's song All Things Must Pass I figured the one-time Beatle had died. Cancer. I loved the Beatles. The song faded and the sky brightened but my mind lingered on the melody, remembering the Beatles and their music. I remembered Shelby Moss got kicked out of elementary school in '64 because his "long" Beatle haircut provoked an outrage which reminded me that Bobby Slaughter got suspended from highschool in '76 because his skinhead look was deemed disruptive. They're probably both bald now; all things must pass. My reverie carried me and my cup of coffee from school to Strawberry Fields, and from Pepperland all the way to India before coming to a halt for a red light at the intersection of highway sixty eight and Blanco Road on the outskirts of Salinas.

You know Salinas. Steinbeck set his novel East of Eden near Salinas. Janis Joplin sang of losing her lover "somewhere near Salinas" in the ballad Me and Bobby McGee that she covered on her last record album. When Salinas isn't a cold and windy back drop for tales of fraternal jealousy, murder, heartbreak and lost love it is the cold and windy capital of California's fresh produce industry. I go there often to buy boxes, labels, staples, seeds or irrigation supplies. I grew up near there too, in the mountains to the south and east, visiting often enough but never quite warming to its frigid charm.

One day maybe 27, 28 years ago my mother, sister and I were leaving Salinas on Highway 68 in our Volkswagen bus. Mom pulled up at the stoplight at the intersection with Blanco Road right in from of Star Market. Another Volkswagen bus, older and rattier than ours, was idling in the next lane. My mother glanced over at the other vehicle and remarked how the driver looked like George Harrison. The resemblance was so striking it was funny. We all had a good laugh. I remember thinking that someday I would be able to measure my wealth by the distance I had traveled from Salinas. Several miles down the highway we made a left turn to go over Los Laureles Grade and the hippy bus in front of us made a right hand turn into the entrance of the Laguna Seca raceway.

Salinas 28 years ago wasn't much different than Salinas today, just smaller. Salinas is to fresh vegetables what Paris or Milan are to fashion. All the industry leaders have offices there from the titanic Dole and the behemoth T & A down to the merely gargantuan Mann Packing, Merrill Farms or Nunez companies. Massive cold storage facilities squat on the valley floor like toadstools. Long haul refrigerated semi trucks growl around waiting to be serviced by swarms of beeping, whirring forklifts. In the offices walls of clocks mark time for New York, Chicago, Denver, Honolulu and Tokyo. Inventories rise and fall like blood pressure. Salinas is impressive in its own way but it's not even remotely groovy.

A few days after our shopping trip to Salinas I was flipping through the newspaper and I noticed a photo of George Harrison in the sports section. He was posed next to a racing car in the pit at Laguna Seca taking his own turn at being someone's ardent fan.

Maybe I'm thinking about George Harrison so much today because we are digging this years first crop of red carrots. Red carrots come from India. Before Harrison's sitar solo on Norwegian Wood a lot of backwoods ignorati like myself would have hardly been aware of India's existence.

When I first grew the red carrots I sold them as Persian red carrots as per my seed dealer's instructions. An Indian woman paused in front of my market stall, paid for a big pile of the bright red roots, and then rebuked me. "The Persians have nothing they didn't steal," she said. "The carrots are Indian."

People, people, people. George Harrison tried to reach beyond the spitefulness that separates neighbors. In 1971 he used his celebrity and influence to produce the first rock and roll charity concert, the Concert for Bangladesh. Audiences, both at New York's Madison Square Gardens watching the show live and later kids like myself listening in by the record player were treated to performances by a Hindu, Ravi Shankar, India's master of the sitar, as he played for the benefit of Muslim Bangladeshis. The event was a gracious gesture that focused attention on our eternal option of forgiveness and charity over strife. We could use some of this energy now.

I've since researched the red carrot. Yes, it does come from India, but is also native across Persia and Afghanistan. It is an interesting carrot with a rich flavor. It is a very beautiful and healthy food but you don't see it here too often. My experience has taught me this is a plant which is difficult to cultivate with success outside of its native region. I've found that this carrot performs best if I plant it early in the fall for a midwinter harvest, otherwise it may go straight to flower without ever making a fat root. Indian shoppers have told me that even in India it is most common in the markets during the winter. The challenges I've faced learning when to plant it remind me of my life before I became a farmer, when I gardened for the fun of it, cultivating obscure plants just to see them grow.

George Harrison didn't spend much time on stage after The Concert for Bangladesh. He focused instead on his interest in religion and gardening. He even dedicated his autobiography to "gardeners everywhere." As a former and future gardener I could appreciate that nod of recognition. Gardening is love, art and a meditation. Farming has to be a business. George Harrison could afford to maintain lush ornamental gardens in both England and Hawaii because as a musician he'd been bought and sold like a sowbelly. His music is admirable to me because he managed so often to slide a touch of soul into even the most commercial product he performed on.

Unlike George Harrison I've never made it too far from Salinas. I've realized it doesn't matter anyhow. The chill I feel there isn't the town or the people, it's not the icy breath of the refrigerated warehouses or even the cold wind coming in off the Pacific; it's the objective logic of business that reduces food to a product and work relationship to dollars per hour that feels so cold. As long as I'm in farming I'll always have to play along with Salinas no matter where I drop seed. I enjoy a lot of what I do and I make the compromises I have to. But I try to take a cue from a guitar player I admire, and bend a few notes here and there, in spite of the conventions of my industry, just to add a little color and depth. This week red carrots are my bent note. Hello red carrots, goodbye Mr. Harrison, and see you later Salinas.

Copyright 2002 Andy Griffin
Old May 31, 2006, 06:14 PM   #9
beatlebangs1964

What a wonderful story, Harry! Where is Hwy 68? And I love the Beatle haircut story - I think Beatle haircuts look prime!

A cool George story that I've read is an account from George's only sister. According to Lou, George was exposed to music from India in utero because they'd all listen to an Indian radio program. Lou thought that might have reached George even then, thus sparking his later interest in things from India. I thought that was a nice story.

Another George story that I love was when George was visiting his only sister in Benton, IL and met a local band known as the Four Vests. I love the stories of George playing with the Vests and of being interviewed on a local radio show in Benton late the summer of 1963.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:35 AM   #10
FPSHOT
Sun King

It is maybe not really a 'story' but I saw this in Michael Palin's book about his 'around the world in 80 days' and thought it is quite funny, oh except the last part about the stampede ofcourse.

It even has a reference to a Harrisong.

"Day 27, 21 October - Extraordinary night of dreams. A series of benevolent nightmares on the theme of travelling but never arriving. Recurring images of friends and home veering wildly from the modern (new information systems being installed at Swiss Cottage underground) to a Hardyesque world of country pubs and masques and morris dances. An Indian postal official dumps his sports bag in my car, I try desperately to ring my wife and tell her why I'm in Washington D.C. with George Harrison and the next moment I'm driving a Mini over a ploughed field. The reality is that I'm in India, which is more bizarre than any of my dreams. I read in my Times of India at breakfast that fourteen people were killed yesterday in a stampede at Jamshedpur during the immersion of their goddess in the local river.

Last edited by FPSHOT : Jun 19, 2006 at 01:37 AM.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 10:11 AM   #11
Hari's Chick

What an amazing and gifted writer he is! Thank you for sharing this!
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:31 PM   #12
sadie
Sun King

A section from Joshua M Greene - A Formula For Spiritual Health.

<SPAN>When friends came to visit, George would remind them to take time to live every moment to its fullest. He would ramble on about plants and flowers and hug his friends for minutes on end, not wanting them to leave before knowing how much he loved them. In their eyes he glowed with a truth that has faded in the burning fires of a world at war: that the worth of a person dwells inside, in something eternal and pure regardless of karma or politics or religious beliefs.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 02:22 PM   #13
Hari's Chick

Thumbs up

Aww, Sadie, that is beautiful....
Old Jun 19, 2006, 03:02 PM   #14
FPSHOT
Sun King

Thanks Sadie, that is really nice to read

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 03:26 AM   #15
Siobhan
Old Brown Shoe

It is beautiful, there are many lovely stories here, thanks for sharing everyone.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 03:45 AM   #16
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

Lovely stories!! I know that they are all far more serious than this one but a George story I have always enjoyed is how he looked up to John so much in the early days that he followed him everywhere and even went to the hospital to visit Cyn when she had had her tonsils out and that she started crying when she saw him coming!!! Gotta love that one.

Also I like that one about him eating turkey at thanksgiving despite being a strict veggie because his friend's wife who was dying of cancer had cooked it for him without remembering that he didn't eat animals. So very gracious.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 03:48 AM   #17
Siobhan
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy

Also I like that one about him eating turkey at thanksgiving despite being a strict veggie because his friend's wife who was dying of cancer had cooked it for him without remembering that he didn't eat animals. So very gracious.
Yes I remember reading that story. I must admit it brought a little tear to my eye.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 04:00 AM   #18
sadie
Sun King

This isn't really a story either but its interesting reading.

http://www.mcn.org/greatbear/george.htm
Old Nov 16, 2008, 07:48 AM   #19
beatlebangs1964

I love the story about when Lou flew to NY in 1964 to nurse George back to health so he could play on television with the other boys.

I also like that story about how Harold Sr. and George met President Ford.

Old Nov 28, 2008, 06:44 PM   #20
hibgal
Sun King

"Nahiku residents... knew Harrison simply as Keoki."

This made me smile. Keoki is Hawaiian for George!

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote