BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Mar 17, 2004, 11:48 AM   #1
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper
Default Paul to Write Children\'s Book...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4500372/

McCartney wants to be
a paperback writer

By Jeannette Walls with Ashley Pearson
MSNBC
Updated: 2:44 a.m. ET March 17, 2004

Look out, Madonna.

Paul McCartney is getting into the kiddie-book writing biz. And publishing sources say that McCartney - because of his rock-star status - could generate the sort of best-seller that Madonna did with "The English Roses."

McCartney is penning a children's book called "High in the Clouds," about two squirrels and a frog who try to rescue animals endangered by urban development. It will be co-written by Philip Ardagh, and illustrated by
Geoff Dunbar.

"High in the Clouds" is being published in the U.K. by Faber and Faber, but no U.S. publisher has been announced, and one book world insider tells The Scoop: "This will be a hot property. Even if the book is awful, it will sell like hotcakes. Because he's Paul McCartney, he's almost guaranteed to get on all the talk shows to promote it, and what politically correct, baby boomer parents wouldn't want their children - or their grandchildren - to read a
book by a former Beatle?"
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 07:40 PM   #2
One_Sweet_Dream
Taxman

Default Re: Paul to Write Children\'s Book...

Oh, I love Paul's subtle political/environmental activism through children's books. I hope it'll be good though. He's getting all kid-oriented with Beatrice's arrival, I can't wait to read the book.
One_Sweet_Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 12:23 AM   #3
beatlewho01-02
Wild Honey Pie

Not him too [img]graemlins/images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] . First that PR whore Madonna, now him. Well, at least I hope this book won't be as bad as Madonna's.
beatlewho01-02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 07:45 AM   #4
Miss O'Dell
Dr. Robert

ooh! Look! Theres a bandwagon! Lets jump on it!

I bet it would be about Frogs and puppy dogs, singing.

(I say that now but I'll be down the shops to buy it, plus it raises the possibility of a book signing! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )
Miss O'Dell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 08:07 AM   #5
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted By Miss O'Dell:
ooh! Look! Theres a bandwagon! Lets jump on it!
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I'm not so much sure it's that as it is renewed interest in projects for children because of the new baby. He's done numerous kids projects in the past, so it's not really out of the blue. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 04:31 PM   #6
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Paul is a man of many talents.

Just think - a whole new generation being treated to Paul and his font of talent! [img]graemlins/thumbsup2.gif[/img]

I think this is lovely. [img]graemlins/thumbsup2.gif[/img]
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 05:46 PM   #7
biglou114
Bulldog

Send a message via AIM to biglou114

The first thing that hit my mind was: You've got to be kidding.

I have to say that Paul is a great musician. He should stay what he actully is. My advise to him is just make the music.
biglou114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 05:13 AM   #8
Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted By biglou114:
I have to say that Paul is a great musician. He should stay what he actully is. My advise to him is just make the music.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Disagree with ya' here, biglou. I'd hate to have somebody tell me "Hey, you're good at number crunching, so you have to be a number cruncher forever!" Nothing wrong with breaking out and trying new things and Paul does it all the time, what with his painting and his poetry and all sorts of other things. Hey, if it's good, it'll be successful and if it suck, it won't be, but that's the chance he takes by trying something new. I'm all for people expanding their horizons and not living their lives in one little box though. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old Mar 19, 2004, 05:22 AM   #9
HMVNipper
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By One_Sweet_Dream:
Oh, I love Paul's subtle political/environmental activism through children's books.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I don't -- I think it's bad enough when he forces his views on adults, but to target children makes me ill. At least he's not doing the PETA tactic of handing out anti-meat trading cards at elementary schools, but it still smacks of personal agenda to me.

Not that I don't want my son to be environmentally conscious and kind to animals, mind you, but I really resent when it is forced down our throats because it's Paul's (or Madonna's, or Chrissie Hynde's, or Heather's or anyone's) pet cause. Let ME teach my kid about this stuff, thank you very much.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 05:41 AM   #10
Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted By HMVNipper:
I really resent when it is forced down our throats because it's Paul's (or Madonna's, or Chrissie Hynde's, or Heather's or anyone's) pet cause. Let ME teach my kid about this stuff, thank you very much.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Who's forcing it down your throats? As far as I know, nobody comes to your house with a gun and makes you buy any particular book and read it to your kids. I would think a parent would look at the book, see if it agrees with their personal thoughts on the subject and then buy it or not buy it based on what you think of it.

Every book has a point of view. Putting out a book with your point of view isn't forcing anybody to do anything.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 06:00 AM   #11
Lynner

I agree with Rell' on all of the points she's made in this topic (and no, Rell', I'm not sucking up to you, no reason for me to. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )
I check what my children watch/read, and just cuz it's something my fave celebrity has done, doesn't mean it's something I want my children to see. If Paul does put out a book, of course I'll buy it, read it and give it to the kids if I deem appropriate.

And I also agree that Paul shouldn't be pigeon-holed into doing one thing his entire life. Luckily for him, he has the money which enables him to try his hand at many different things. I think more of us would do that, if we had the opportunites that he has. I don't begrudge him at all, but I will admit to moments of jealousy!
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 06:00 AM   #12
HMVNipper
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By Rellevart:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Originally Posted By HMVNipper:
I really resent when it is forced down our throats because it's Paul's (or Madonna's, or Chrissie Hynde's, or Heather's or anyone's) pet cause. Let ME teach my kid about this stuff, thank you very much.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Who's forcing it down your throats? As far as I know, nobody comes to your house with a gun and makes you buy any particular book and read it to your kids. I would think a parent would look at the book, see if it agrees with their personal thoughts on the subject and then buy it or not buy it based on what you think of it.

Every book has a point of view. Putting out a book with your point of view isn't forcing anybody to do anything.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">That's true, very true. After all, almost every book out there is an expression of the author's opinion and agenda.

I actually don't think I'll be bothering with this one, at least not for my kid -- it's fine that Paul wants to do it, and I certainly do not believe he should be pigeonholed. Geez, if you have the talent and the means, go for it!

I am sure there will be plenty of parents whose kids are the right age and reading level who will buy it. All I can say is I'm really glad my son is WAY beyond the picture book stage and that his reading is probably too advanced for this book anyway, so it would be of no interest to him at all, so I don't have to buy it for him, and I'm not so sure I will even buy it for me.

But you do indeed make a very valid point, Rell, (and you too, Lynn) and I stand corrected. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ Mar 19, 2004, 06:03 AM: Message Edited By: HMVNipper ][/size]
Old Mar 19, 2004, 06:08 AM   #13
Miss O'Dell
Dr. Robert

[quote]Originally Posted By Rellevart:
Quote:
I'm not so much sure it's that as it is renewed interest in projects for children because of the new baby. He's done numerous kids projects in the past, so it's not really out of the blue. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Oh yeah, thats probably it. sorry Paul-e-pie I was in funny mood then. I saw a man who looked just like Paul yesterday, and he was a bass player
Miss O'Dell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 10:05 PM   #14
One_Sweet_Dream
Taxman

Quote:
All I can say is I'm really glad my son is WAY beyond the picture book stage and that his reading is probably too advanced for this book anyway, so it would be of no interest to him at all...
[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Hey watch it, I'm sixteen years old and I'm definitely buying this book! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Afer a semester of The Scarlet Letter, The Great Gatsby, and Song of Solomon, I can 100% affirm that no one is too advanced for picture books- some of us (*cough* poor overworked high school sophomores *cough*) long for the days when that's all we had to read. And not have to write a six-page critical essay on afterwards.

Thumbs up for picture books, I say! [img]graemlins/thumbsup2.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ Mar 19, 2004, 10:06 PM: Message Edited By: One_Sweet_Dream ][/size]
Old Mar 20, 2004, 04:46 AM   #15
HMVNipper
Sun King

Nothing wrong with picture books...believe me, I own a few recent ones myself, and they are MINE. What I meant was that my son is reading at a third or fourth grade level even though he's in kindergarten, and he's losing interest in books that don't have enough words and are too easy for him! (His teachers have to borrow books from the upper grades for him to read!) I'm sure that will change again over time! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old Mar 20, 2004, 10:28 AM   #16
beatlelover45223

Quote:
Originally Posted By Rellevart:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Originally Posted By HMVNipper:

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Well put Rell, couldn't have said it better myself, you too Lynner, I will be very interested to see what Paul does with this book, I think his other children's work was quite fun, like Paul is. It's great to see him reaching out to touch with his art and mind others, who may never know of him as Paul The Beatle.
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2004, 07:41 PM   #17
One_Sweet_Dream
Taxman

Quote:
Nothing wrong with picture books...believe me, I own a few recent ones myself, and they are MINE. What I meant was that my son is reading at a third or fourth grade level even though he's in kindergarten, and he's losing interest in books that don't have enough words and are too easy for him! (His teachers have to borrow books from the upper grades for him to read!) I'm sure that will change again over time! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Oh, yes, I assure you, by the time your son hits high school, and the whispers of "Ivy League... Ivy League..." suddenly become shouts and yells, and when the letters "SAT" no longer refer to the past action of sitting, and when the weekend doesn't mean "relaxing time," but rather "extension of school," then I'm sure he will be hungry for a picture book. Every night, before I begin my American history reading, I go through the chapter and count all the pictures and deduct that from the amount of pages I have to read in order to feel like I'm only reading twelve pages instead of fifteen. So picture books are very important to me, as you can see. It's amazing what an insanely rigorous college preparatory private girls school can do to a person. Just a little rant.

Going to buy Paul's picture book the day it hits the shelves.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 03:11 PM   #18
luvsthebeatles
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to luvsthebeatles Send a message via Yahoo to luvsthebeatles

Oh how fun!
I hope it's good though....

[size="1"][ Mar 25, 2004, 03:13 PM: Message Edited By: luvsthebeatles ][/size]
luvsthebeatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 05:25 PM   #19
lennon_legend
Little Child

good on paul like,for tryin different things,but...a childrens book,sounds a bit rubbish laaaaaa!!!
lennon_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 06:25 AM   #20
kjrocks_1
Day Tripper

I'll buy it just like I try to buy other Beatle-related items within monetary reason. And just like some other books, I'll read through it once and maybe put it on the shelf.

Will Dawn read it? Well, she's 18 months old and not at ANY reading level so she'll sit on my lap and we'll go through it together [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Just because it's a childrens book doesn't mean it's a picture book, but I say good for Paul for branching out [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
kjrocks_1 is offline   Reply With Quote