BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Goodnight Vienna

Closed Thread

Old May 02, 2008, 02:29 PM   #21
Esmirelda
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattiboyd's slave View Post
Ringo should be deemed a national treasure or something over there in good old Liverpool.
I agree. I think it would be lovely if he were knighted.
Old May 02, 2008, 11:24 PM   #22
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Yeah, but would the Queen think it lovely?

On a serious note, Ringo had to know he would rile some folks when he dissed the U.K. That is not the way to show proper appreciation for your homeland and the people who helped you on your way.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
Old May 03, 2008, 12:54 AM   #23
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
Yeah, but would the Queen think it lovely?

On a serious note, Ringo had to know he would rile some folks when he dissed the U.K. That is not the way to show proper appreciation for your homeland and the people who helped you on your way.
The thing is, he can THINK that all he wants, but SAYING it... in an INTERVIEW ? ... not very clever of him, to say the least...

As we often say in french, not all truths should be spoken...

Last edited by ABCKO : May 03, 2008 at 12:55 AM.
Old May 03, 2008, 07:36 AM   #24
jellybeanracer
Fool On The Hill

I saw him on Jonathan Ross and he was hard work! Like someone said, he can think all he wants, but it wasn't his best move to speak out. He gave off the impression that he really couldn't give a monkey's - fed up with the same old questions, perhaps. There is laid-back and cool, but he was beyond that. He didn't appear to want to join in with any of the joking around, either. Fair enough - but then he shouldn't have bothered turning up, as I think it's fair to say everyone knows what JR is like. I can completely understand some people being upset with his comments. We are a passionate nation.

I can't really comment on any of the newspaper articles as I only skimmed the OP and the tabloids are generally a load of junk.

By the way, I like Ringo. Honest, I do. He looked well!
Old May 03, 2008, 08:05 AM   #25
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

I think a mountain is being made out of a molehill here. I've seen the clips and they don't seem nasty or mean-spirited to me, but maybe I'm not reading enough into them. I think if people look hard enough, they can find something to be offended by in pretty much anything and that IS what's trendy these days, a culture of offense.
Old May 03, 2008, 08:22 AM   #26
jellybeanracer
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart View Post
I think a mountain is being made out of a molehill here. I've seen the clips and they don't seem nasty or mean-spirited to me, but maybe I'm not reading enough into them. I think if people look hard enough, they can find something to be offended by in pretty much anything and that IS what's trendy these days, a culture of offense.
"I think if people look hard enough, they can find something to be offended by in pretty much anything..."
I completely agree. But, speaking personally, I like Ringo and I still thought he came off badly.

"...and that IS what's trendy these days, a culture of offense."
Really? Trendy? I've never heard of this. How strange.

Last edited by jellybeanracer : May 03, 2008 at 08:28 AM.
Old May 03, 2008, 11:58 AM   #27
beatlebangs1964

Ditto, Racer. I like Ringo and think he came off quite badly as well.

And yeah, being rude and offensive is not a trendy move nor a culture that I am aware of.

I agree with ABKCO and Racer - I think Ringo acted a fool and was quite imprudent in making the comments that he did. It did not reflect well on him at all and I think he could take a lesson from Paul, who recognizes his homeland and his fellow Britons with love and pride and respect.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : May 03, 2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old May 03, 2008, 12:25 PM   #28
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
And yeah, being rude and offensive is not a trendy move nore a culter that I am aware of.
Aaaaand, that was never said. What I said was that picking apart things looking for ways to be offended is trendy. Which it is. Political correctness has run amok and pretty much nobody can say anything anymore without somebody getting their panties in a wad about it.
Old May 03, 2008, 12:58 PM   #29
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
Aaaaand, that was never said. What I said was that picking apart things looking for ways to be offended is trendy. Which it is. Political correctness has run amok and pretty much nobody can say anything anymore without somebody getting their panties in a wad about it.
I thought apologizing what the trendy thing to do! The other day I saw a WWII fighter pilot apologizing for dropping bombs during the war. He'd rather faced a court martial?

As to Ringo, while some may pick articles and interviews apart to be offended, in this case it's not exactly necessary, is it? I don't think it smart or politic as a public person to deprecate your roots, because it most certainly will upset people. There are better things to do that dissing on your old home town, no matter how much you may feel the urge to.
Old May 03, 2008, 02:40 PM   #30
jellybeanracer
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Aaaaand, that was never said. What I said was that picking apart things looking for ways to be offended is trendy. Which it is. Political correctness has run amok and pretty much nobody can say anything anymore without somebody getting their panties in a wad eugh about it.
I don't think it is trendy. It's the minority that advocate political correctness. The majority just go for plain old decency and respect.

I wasn't offended by Ringo's comments, just disappointed that he felt the need to air his views and in such a flippant way. He must have known that he would upset some people. He could have been tactful, at the least. Whether it's right or wrong, fair or unfair, he is in the public eye and with that come certain rules. How hard can it be!
Old May 03, 2008, 02:43 PM   #31
jellybeanracer
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
As to Ringo, while some may pick articles and interviews apart to be offended, in this case it's not exactly necessary, is it? I don't think it smart or politic as a public person to deprecate your roots, because it most certainly will upset people. There are better things to do that dissing on your old home town, no matter how much you may feel the urge to.
Agreed!

Last edited by jellybeanracer : May 03, 2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old May 03, 2008, 09:12 PM   #32
beatlebangs1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybeanracer
I don't think it is trendy. It's the minority that advocate political correctness. The majority just go for plain old decency and respect.

I wasn't offended by Ringo's comments, just disappointed that he felt the need to air his views and in such a flippant way. He must have known that he would upset some people. He could have been tactful, at the least. Whether it's right or wrong, fair or unfair, he is in the public eye and with that come certain rules. How hard can it be!
Well said, Racer. I don't think anybody's panties were in a wad - it is just that Ringo's comments came across as rude and flippant. No doubt there were many who took umbrage in what he said.

While political correctness HAS gone way overboard, there is still the matter of plain old decency and respect. On the flip side, it is equally distressing to see others go into knot mode when differing points of view are expressed. It is the voices of the many that learning takes place. And yeah, there is always the chance that there will be a faction who will be offended. That's just part of life. While every effort should be made to extend courtesy and respect, there can be a meeting halfway to as to express oneself in a respectful tone without fear of reprisal.

Just for the record, I never said anybody else said anything. I was stating my point of view based on what I was interpreting. Perhaps I misinterpreted something someone said. However, I feel everyone is entitled to express their opinions as all are valid.

It is true that political correctness has gone into ridiculous extremes. Sadly, we can't please all of the people all of the time. As to Ringo making these comments, I am in Racer's camp who sums it all up beautifully with these good comments quoted above.

Agreed, Racer!

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : May 03, 2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old May 04, 2008, 09:21 AM   #33
FPSHOT
Sun King

I have watched Ringo's sit in at Jonathan Ross.

Do you guys ever watch Jonathan Ross? Well the one who wrote the article probably hasn't.

I have seen many of his shows and so often "famous" people take the couch and as long as the "audience laugh machine" can be on, the show does well.

Very often interviews go like this. Not always, I remember only one little bit serious one with Sting... but as for the rest...

But what really was so horrible what Ringo said? It is Ringo we are talking about... come on

OK he lived there several decades ago.. then is asked if he misses it and he says no.

Tell me... how many who have moved home...actually really miss their birth place?

It's not all that nice maybe .. but to make a big scene of it..

my goodness.. taking things serious at a Jonathan Ross show....

Last edited by FPSHOT : May 04, 2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old May 04, 2008, 11:56 AM   #34
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
But what really was so horrible what Ringo said? It is Ringo we are talking about... come on

OK he lived there several decades ago.. then is asked if he misses it and he says no.

Tell me... how many who have moved home...actually really miss their birth place?

It's true what you say, FP, yet it still doesn't matter. It's exceedingly bad timing, when your hometown is patting itself on the back and point to YOU as something good that came out of it, to say - even jokingly - you don't care about THEM. Ringo could have gone on Saturday Night Live and said these things and get the same flack. Another time it might not have mattered but this year, when Liverpool is celebrating its own? Well, let's just say it's not that smart!
Old May 04, 2008, 07:47 PM   #35
beatlebangs1964

Well said, Hibgal. Timing has a lot to do with it and Ringo making those comments was tantamount to the hand that fed him and the hands that clapped for him and the hands that put the capital in his bank accounts.

That kind of thing can turn a Starr into a Shooting Starr or even a Comet (and I don't mean a Mercury Comet at that)!

Very imprudent on his part, I think!

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : May 04, 2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old May 04, 2008, 08:00 PM   #36
FPSHOT
Sun King

OK fine. Did you really watch the interview on the show? Was there any "normal" awnser? It was simply Ringo very hard trying to be funny.. yet...did he succeed?

I don't really care. One can take it as an insult yes... my point also is though... is the way he does the interview so much different than he does quite some others? If you take it all very serious that is a choise but then you can also wonder if "our" Ringo maybe felt insulted in a way by the city... just look back on what he said.

But...it's fine with me...if you forget this is Jonathan Ross and forget this is Ringo and just hear someone on tv say this about Liverpool..yes ok then it can be taken as insult.

Last edited by FPSHOT : May 04, 2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old May 04, 2008, 09:51 PM   #37
Hari's Chick

For people who maybe have not seen the interview....

Old May 05, 2008, 01:08 AM   #38
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Ringo making those comments was tantamount to the hand that fed him and the hands that clapped for him and the hands that put the capital in his bank accounts.
Totally off topic and not really interesting but when you mention this about Capital.... any idea how many people visit Liverpool each year and fill many Liverpool bank accounts with many great British Pounds only because The Beatles started there ?

Old May 05, 2008, 04:11 AM   #39
jellybeanracer
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
I have watched Ringo's sit in at Jonathan Ross.

Do you guys ever watch Jonathan Ross? Well the one who wrote the article probably hasn't.

I have seen many of his shows and so often "famous" people take the couch and as long as the "audience laugh machine" can be on, the show does well.

Very often interviews go like this. Not always, I remember only one little bit serious one with Sting... but as for the rest...

"Do you guys ever watch Jonathan Ross? Well the one who wrote the article probably hasn't." Yep, I watch it. I haven't a scooby if the article writer watches.

"I have seen many of his shows and so often "famous" people take the couch and as long as the "audience laugh machine" can be on, the show does well.

Very often interviews go like this. Not always, I remember only one little bit serious one with Sting... but as for the rest..." I'm not sure what your point is. Not every chat show has to run with the same format. Not every chat show has to be serious. I'd be very surprised if guests were not aware of the type of show JR is. Guests can still be wrong, disappointing, offensive or any number of things on a less serious chat show.

"But what really was so horrible what Ringo said? It is Ringo we are talking about... come on" For me, it was the way he said it. Incredulous at such a question. Flippant. As I have said before, I wasn't in the least offended - just disappointed that he seemingly didn't care, or didn't think about anyone he might hurt. Liverpool is a proud and passionate City, like many cities.

"Tell me... how many who have moved home...actually really miss their birth place?" Actually, I do, but that is beside the point. I'm not famous, I doubt if anyone cares if I miss my birthplace or not. Ringo is famous. The Beatles are part of Liverpool's heritage and they are proud of them. Perhaps if Ringo had been tactful in his reply, (there is more than one way of saying no), people may have said "Yeah, fair play to him.".

"It's not all that nice maybe .. but to make a big scene of it.." You mean the general public or the people on this thread? I don't see anyone making a big scene of it on here, just sharing their opinions, so I can only assume you mean the former and I've already used the words proud and passionate.

"my goodness.. taking things serious at a Jonathan Ross show...." Again, it's not clear if you mean this thread or the general public. I will say again that it matters not one bit the type of show. A light-hearted show does not give a guest carte blanche to say whatever they want without the risk of upset. On my part, I have only given my opinion. I watched the show and I gave my opinion. If you think that by my doing this I am taking things serious, then that is your prerogative. My 'taking things serious' goes about as far as this thread. I do understand why some people would be hurt, though.
Old May 05, 2008, 06:55 AM   #40
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybeanracer View Post
I'm not sure what your point is.
close to yours I think.

Quote:
Perhaps if Ringo had been tactful in his reply, (there is more than one way of saying no), people may have said "Yeah, fair play to him.".
and you think Ringo can do that?

Quote:
I don't see anyone making a big scene of it on here, just sharing their opinions, so I can only assume you mean the former and I've already used the words proud and passionate.
I am also only giving my opion? Nothing more?

Part of what I said is about the article.

- Fallen Starr:
- Ringo's dream of a comeback crumble
- insulting Liverpool

and then just all the summing up of things which have nothing to do with the "insult" but list quite some "negative" things about Ringo. I am entitled to give my opinion and my opinion is that that article makes a big scene of it by adding up so many things to create an atmosphere. That is my opinion. Not about the one who posts it, but about the content.

And yes some reactions here.. of which my opinion is that some ask too much of Ringo and maybe have not even seen what he said.

Quote:
My 'taking things serious' goes about as far as this thread. I do understand why some people would be hurt, though.
well I was not adressing anyone in particular, I just gave my opinion about what I saw posted in this thread and wonder if everyone even knows what Ringo said. So take the JR kind of show...take Ringo...take the line of questioning..and this is what you get.

He was not tactful ... but was it really that very insulting.... wasn't much of it just Ringo as he says things

But..I don't take it serious at all... this is simply Ringo..at the JR show... in another show he will say he misses Liverpool and loves everybody there

Last edited by FPSHOT : May 05, 2008 at 07:10 AM.
Closed Thread