BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Goodnight Vienna

Old Mar 23, 2010, 05:12 PM   #1
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

Default Ben Harper Grabs Ringo Starr, Jackson Browne for New Relentless7 Album

3/23/10, 4:56 pm EST

Ben Harper and Relentless7 have just finished recording their follow-up to 2009’s White Lies For Dark Times. Titled Give Till It’s Gone, the self-produced album will be out in the fall and features some high-profile guests. “Not only are we excited about the songs, but Ringo Starr is playing on one of the songs and that’s just a huge deal for us. And Jackson Browne is singing in the background of one of the songs,” Harper told a handful of media during a Canadian teleconference.

The album — which includes the songs “Still in Faith,” “Don’t Give Up On Me Now” and “I Will Not Be Broken” — was recorded at Groove Master Studios in Santa Monica, California, and still has to be mixed. “Any musician is always excited about their new record,” said Harper, “but I can say when we made the first Relentless7 record, we became a band just after we made that record and this new record, Give Till It’s Gone, is the record we made as a band. And I think you can hear and feel that.”

Relentless7 includes guitarist Jason Mozersky, drummer Jordan Richardson and bassist Jesse Ingalls, three musicians who guested on Harper’s 2006 double album, Both Sides of the Gun. He released his last album, Lifeline, with his longtime band the Innocent Criminals in 2007, then the new phase began with Relentless7. He says White Lies For Dark Times “surpassed my expectations. I had no idea what was going to happen.

“I didn’t set any goals. I just knew when I brought those guys in, to play on Both Sides of the Gun, on the song ‘Serve Your Soul,’ it was a flash moment, that I thought, ‘This group, these four individuals, have a future that we have to flush out, that we have to research.’

“I knew it then, and sure enough after I made Lifeline and did a few more tours, I was able to get back in a room with them and see what that chemistry was about,” he added. “I had originally scheduled three days in the studio with them. And after those three days I just kept the studio on hold, and we proceeded to not only finish the record, but we became a band in the process of making the record.”

Source: http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...elentless7-lp/

Last edited by LennonStarrFan : Mar 23, 2010 at 05:18 PM.
LennonStarrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:16 AM   #2
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

I'd never heard of these guys before... but if Ritchie's drumming on one of the tracks, then we can be sure that at least one of the tracks will be good (well, the drumming on it LOL)

Thanks LennonStarrFan, and do keep us posted on this (release date ?)
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

Ringo Starr for new Ben Harper Album

http://www.clashmusic.com/news/ringo...n-harper-album

American songwriter Ben Harper will be joined by Ringo Starr on his forthcoming Relentless7 album.

As a songwriter, Ben Harper recalls the greats while retaining his own distinct voice. Indebted to blues singers, soul songwriters and rock legends the American star mixes all these influences and more.

Which is why it's not too surprising to find Ben Harper working with Ringo Starr on the new Relentless7 album. The follow up to 2009's 'White Lies For Dark Times' the self-produced album is a deeply collaborative effort.

Speaking to media sources at a Canadian press conference, Ben Harper explained that the former Beatle is assisting with new material.

“Not only are we excited about the songs, but Ringo Starr is playing on one of the songs and that’s just a huge deal for us. And Jackson Browne is singing in the background of one of the songs".

Titled 'Give Till It's Gone' the new album is expected to be released in Autumn. Recorded in California, Ben Harper explained that the new material showcases the entire group.

“Any musician is always excited about their new record,” said Harper, “but I can say when we made the first Relentless7 record, we became a band just after we made that record and this new record, 'Give Till It’s Gone', is the record we made as a band. And I think you can hear and feel that.”

Continuing, Harper revealed that the sessions happened as a spur of the moment thing. “I had originally scheduled three days in the studio with them. And after those three days I just kept the studio on hold, and we proceeded to not only finish the record, but we became a band in the process of making the record.”

Ben Harper is due to release 'Give Till It's Gone' later this year.
Old Apr 08, 2010, 07:12 AM   #4
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

Q+A with Ben Harper
By Brian LaCour

| Published: Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Updated: Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Closing:

The song on the next record, the song with Ringo [Starr], it’s nine a and a half minutes, and certain people are like ‘cut it down, you might want to cut it down, it might become a single if you cut it down and blah blah blah.’ I just wanted to let you know, I’m keeping the whole thing. There will be a nine and a half minute song on the record because I think it’s the shit and I’m proud of it.

Source: http://www.thetowerlight.com/q-a-wit...rper-1.2215050
Old Feb 25, 2011, 06:33 PM   #5
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

Ben Harper Will Release "Give Till It's Gone" on May 17thFri, 25 Feb 2011 13:46:00

The album also features two tracks co-written with Ringo Starr - the exuberant, psychedelic-tinged "Spilling Faith" and "Get There From Here," an improvisational instrumental. Starr, who also plays drums on the songs, tapped Harper for his 2010 album, Y Not.

Source: http://www.artistdirect.com/entertai...y-17th/8718584
"One of Ringo's great qualities was that he composed unique, stylistic drum parts for The Beatles songs. His parts are so signature to the songs that you can listen to a Ringo drum part without the rest of the music and still identify the song." -Steve Smith
"He (Pete Best) was doing OK, but if you compare it to Ringo, he just did not have that swing. He just did not have that rock. He just didn't." -Klaus Voormann
Old May 10, 2011, 10:40 PM   #6
FPSHOT
Sun King

On May 17th, Virgin Records will release Give Till It's Gone , Ben Harper's 10th studio album. With "Rock N' Roll Is Free," the album's first single, Harper pays tribute to an audacious art form that continually challenges the status quo, demanding that we look at the world in "a brand new way." The song was inspired by rock legend Neil Young, whom Harper opened for in London last summer. Young's mesmerizing performance of "Rockin' in the Free World" planted the seeds of a new song in Harper's mind, compelling him to go straight back to his room after the show and write "Rock N' Roll Is Free." The incident is emblematic of the kind of urgency with which the new album was forged.
Harper recorded most of Give Till It's Gone - his first solo record since 2006's Both Sides of the Gun - at the Los Angeles studio of Jackson Browne, who harmonizes with him on the wistful "Pray That Our Love Sees The Dawn." The album also features two tracks co-written with Ringo Starr - the exuberant, psychedelic-tinged "Spilling Faith" and "Get There From Here," an improvisational instrumental. Starr, who also plays drums on the songs, tapped Harper for his 2010 album, Y Not.
"I've never made a record that was such a timeline," says Harper. "It's a real extension of the last year and half in my life, and all these sounds are inspired by my experiences. It's as honest a musical statement as I could make."
With Give Till It's Gone, Harper examines the disparity between the man he is today and the man he endeavors to become. Reaching deep within, he discovers there are no easy answers, but implores us to go the distance with him on this journey in the moving album opener, "Don't Give Up On Me Now." While its songs are highly personal, Give Till It's Gone illuminates the universal struggle to find meaning and fully engage with life and one another. We may pass through a dark night of the soul, but giving up is not a viable option, as Harper reminds us with certainty in the transcendent "I Will Not Be Broken."
Harper made his debut in 1994 with Welcome to the Cruel World, which was subsequently certified Gold. In 2005, he received GRAMMY awards for "Best Pop Instrumental Performance" for his single "11th Commandment" and for "Best Traditional Soul Gospel Album" for There Will Be A Light, featuring the Blind Boys of Alabama. His three most recent studio albums - Both Sides of the Gun (2006), Lifeline (2007) and White Lies for Dark Times (2009) - debuted in the Top 10 of The Billboard 200. Harper formed Fistful of Mercy with Dhani Harrison and Joseph Arthur and the trio released the album As I Call You Down in 2010.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...4/benharpernet

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 12:30 PM   #7
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Jackson Browne!

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011, 07:55 PM   #8
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

Spilling Faith: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE_kFn7d2NA

Get There From Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giP9j2iCbjY

As usual, Ringo's drumming perfectly compliments the song.
"One of Ringo's great qualities was that he composed unique, stylistic drum parts for The Beatles songs. His parts are so signature to the songs that you can listen to a Ringo drum part without the rest of the music and still identify the song." -Steve Smith
"He (Pete Best) was doing OK, but if you compare it to Ringo, he just did not have that swing. He just did not have that rock. He just didn't." -Klaus Voormann
Old May 27, 2011, 08:17 PM   #9
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennonStarrFan View Post
What an awesome song !!!!! and the drumming typical Ringo even at the start somewhat Back Off Boogaloo.

Old May 27, 2011, 10:39 PM   #10
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennonStarrFan View Post
That's a copy of the Harrison All Things Must Pass Jam sessions LP3