BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > And Your Bird Can Sing

Closed Thread

Old Jan 29, 2003, 10:09 PM   #1
StrawberryShorty
Day Tripper

Default From RollingStone.com : New \'de-Spectorized version\' of Let It Be due...

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/new....asp?nid=17453

New Beatles "Let It Be" Due

Apple Records to release a stripped-down version of the 1970 LP

Beautiful CD

The Beatles' Apple Records is planning a new version of Let It Be, the 1970 album that was released as the group's swan song, for the fall. Though the album will feature the same track listing as the original, the music it contains has been stripped of the orchestration that was added by legendary producer Phil Spector -- thus restoring Paul McCartney's "back to basics" concept that originally underpinned the project.
"It's the de-Spectorized version," says Ringo Starr. "Same tracks, same people. I was listening to it recently, and it was really great. I've been away from it a long time too. It fills my heart with joy to hear that band that I was a member of. They were just great. And also, the quietness of the tracks: It's a beautiful CD."

Most of the Let It Be material was recorded in early 1969 for an album and movie originally to be called Get Back. Though the project was intended to showcase the Beatles' returning to their roots as a four-piece rock band, it instead captured the band in the throes of its breakup. The album was temporarily abandoned, and the film, retitled Let It Be, was released the following year.

At John Lennon's insistence, Spector was later brought in to compile an album from the hundreds of hours of tape. However, his work, undertaken after the group had effectively split, has always been a source of massive irritation to Paul McCartney, who took particular exception to the string arrangement on his composition "The Long and Winding Road."

"Paul was always totally opposed to Phil," says Starr. "I told him on the phone [recently], 'You're bloody right again: It sounds great without Phil.' Which it does. Now we'll have to put up with him telling us over and over again, 'I told you.'"

Starr also says that George Harrison approved the release the stripped-down version of Let It Be before his death in 2001. The project has been underway for at least two years, and it instigated the recovery of the missing Let It Be audio reels by police in the Netherlands on January 10th.

Along with Starr and McCartney, another figure who will welcome the Let It Be reissue is veteran British producer Glyn Johns, who engineered the original sessions. "My version of [the song] 'Get Back' actually was released fairly quickly as a single," he says. "And my version of [the song] 'Let It Be' was also released, before Phil Spector puked all over it. And I hope you quote me on that. If you hear 'The Long and Winding Road' without all that schlock on it, it's fabulous just like it is."

The Let It Be movie will be released on DVD to accompany the new CD, although it's currently unclear whether any unreleased footage will be included. Fans can also look forward to the summer DVD release of the 1996 The Beatles Anthology documentary -- replete with unseen interview material, much of it drawing on the one occasion when McCartney, Harrison and Starr were interviewed together.

JOHN HARRIS
(January 29, 2003)
Old Jan 29, 2003, 10:45 PM   #2
joelcrowservo
Dr. Robert

Default Re: From RollingStone.com : New \'de-Spectorized version\' of Let It Be due...

Wow!!! Bless you for bringing us this news! Now, when exactly does it come out?
Old Jan 29, 2003, 10:47 PM   #3
Magill
Sun King

Default Re: From RollingStone.com : New \'de-Spectorized version\' of Let It Be due...

Hmmm..I dunno Kristina. I'm a bit pessimistic about this report. I mean, the dude said Anthology was in '96, when it was actually '95. I want to believe it's coming out this summer. My tapes of the tv airing aren't in the best shape after 7 years of viewing. Anthology is what I'm anxious to have. LIB would be just cake. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Thanks for the article, though. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old Jan 30, 2003, 06:12 AM   #4
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

Wow, hundreds of hours of tape, and all they can do is just basically release the exact same "Let It Be" LP without the overdubs? I wish this wasn't true, but it sounds like it is. If they just spent some time, they could come up with an unbelievable CD or double CD of stuff.

Just off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure "Two Of Us," "Dig A Pony," Dig It," "Maggie Mae," "I've Got A Feeling," "One After 909," "For You Blue," and "Get Back" have no overdubs to begin with, maybe just some echo or small edits or whatever. The original "I Me Mine" is already on "Anthology." Pure versions of "Let It Be" and "The Long And Winding Road" are already on "Antholgoy" too. "Across The Universe" was recorded well before the sessions for the album, but a good example of a pure version of that is also on "Anthology" anyway.

They could do so much more, but oh well. Maybe release a double CD containing the original stuff without overdubs, and then a bonus CD of the good stuff. I just think the amount of material here deserves much much better.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 06:16 AM   #5
joelcrowservo
Dr. Robert

Good point. Isnt the Get Back LP only around 30 minutes long? It'd be nice to have some of the unbooted stuff, like Peggy Sue Got Married from the final 1970 sessions. But, you know, the Yellow Sub remix CD was only a bit over 40 minutes.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 10:53 AM   #6
Tim
Sgt. Pepper

Jerry,
They should--but it is a tad too creative of an idea for the PTB at Apple.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 03:53 PM   #7
IWantToTellYou
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to IWantToTellYou

Wow! Thanks for all the info! Can't wait!
Old Jan 30, 2003, 04:39 PM   #8
hyderboy
Little Child

...now if we can just get a de-Specterized version of the All Things Must Pass album.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 11:39 PM   #9
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Quote:
Originally Posted By Tim:
Jerry,
They should--but it is a tad too creative of an idea for the PTB at Apple.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I agree with you, Tim...what I just don't understand is why they refuse to release all this interesting stuff! I mean, they know there are all these bootlegs floating around, and they know that people WANT it and would really rather buy a legit release, if only that legit release had some more exciting stuff on it! But instead, they just give us the same old same old, doling the other things out in dribbles or letting it languish in vaults gathering dust.

I just don't get it. If there is so much tape of these sessions, I'm with Jerry -- why the hell can't they release MORE of it!?!?

Perhaps a letter-writing campaign to Apple? You think ol' Neil would listen to us if he got buried under tons of email or snail mail? It just seems to me that if the powers that be really ARE that stupid and somehow don't realize that the fans WANT this stuff, it's up to us to beat them over the head with it, yes?

Maybe we at BLinks can start a grass-roots letter writing campaign!
Old Jan 31, 2003, 12:56 PM   #10

Now Phil Spector is a great producer..and he made an amazing job of ATMP (goes without saying)AND Let it be (not to mention his other vast production credits, ex Beatle and otherwise)..George, John and Ringo are all on record praising his efforts on Let it be..anyone whio who has ever listened to the album can see he did a great job, from what was provided to him..To re-release Let it be in this way(with similar cover, tracklisting etc) is Sir Paul vainly trying to rewrite history, yet again..this is total rubbish..the spector version will remain the authorative and definitive version..while i agree Spector did muck up Long and winding road a little, doubling the length of I Me Mine, and the fantastic versions he dug up of I Dig a Pony, Ive got a Feeling, two of us etc speak for themselves..Spectors version of Let it be, with Georges guitar solo blows Martins/Johns version out of the water...i think a new "Get Back" project with Johns original tracklisting, or alt versions would be great, and i believe this is what George Harrison approved..not Sir Paul recording everything the way he wanted it, the problem with the original sessions in the first place..the days with just Paul and Ringo around present some worrying times for beatle fans, and more than just the obvious..we've prob got the "revised" songwriting credits to look forward to aswell [img]graemlins/images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Old Jan 31, 2003, 02:32 PM   #11
hyderboy
Little Child

Point taken Maha. His non-Beatle stuff stands. And I didn't think his Let It Be production was all that bad. Even Lennon said that Spector took the sh*ttiest music that had the worst feeling to it and made something good out of it (or some semblance to that effect). I myself didn't really even mind what he did with Long and Winding Road.

I've always preferred George's 45 lead guitar work over the album version, but they were both always there, Spector just brought the other to the fore. They're both George, so they're both fine.

I DO think it's time producer Johns be given his overdue due. He's got a mojo, too.

However, George is on record as stating that when he heard ATMP a couple of years ago for the first time in ages, he was surprised to realize that it had too much echo. I always thought that, it was the only thing about the album I didn't like.

George had even said that he considered re-producing it to take some of the echo out, but it just seemed like way too monumental a task. His health may have also been a consideration.

I really would like to have heard a toned down/cozier ATMP.

Paul has been known to get full of himself, and maybe this revisionism kick is an indicator, but I'm glad at least two of the dudes are still around. They can do anything they want with whatever music they want. I might like it, I might not, but when they go, there will be no more.
Old Jan 31, 2003, 08:22 PM   #12
EasternBird
Old Brown Shoe

Send a message via MSN to EasternBird

Quote:
Originally Posted By StrawberryShorty:
Fans can also look forward to the summer DVD release of the 1996 The Beatles Anthology documentary -- replete with unseen interview material, much of it drawing on the one occasion when McCartney, Harrison and Starr were interviewed together.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/bouncing2.gif[/img]
When, when, WHEN?!? I want to hear some official release dates!!

[size="1"][ Jan 31, 2003, 09:23 PM: Message Edited By: EasternBird ][/size]
Old Feb 01, 2003, 12:20 AM   #13
joelcrowservo
Dr. Robert

I wonder Yogi...you're not exactly a Paul fan, are you?
Old Feb 01, 2003, 08:47 AM   #14
kc
Mr. Moonlight

Heard this on the radio yesterday, although the d.j. didn't mention Rolling Stone as his source. Oh, well. I hope we can get some firm release dates, too. I had a bootleg of the Let It Be film on VHS, and it's not in very good shape, so I'd love to have it on DVD. And I've always been curious about how the non-Spectorized versions would sound, although I appreciate his producion. But what I really want is the Anthology on DVD, because I've never seen it (bad fan, I know [img]graemlins/wink3.gif[/img] )...
Old Feb 01, 2003, 12:40 PM   #15
shonatinik
Rocky Raccoon

I can see the points from everyone above, i too look forward to hearing the bare bones of the work, might give the stuff a new power. But i feel that the boys wouldnt have wanted all of their tapes to be left unplayed. Sure some of the stuff might not be up to the 'usual' beatles standards but why leave it to gather dust somewhere.
There is definitely a market for it, but then someone will just say its just more money grabbing schemes.
Although I'm not the biggest Paul fan i do think he i getting some unfair press at the moment, maybe he just doesnt want to deal with bad press if the other older tracks get trashed in the press.
[img]graemlins/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old Feb 02, 2003, 03:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted By joelcrowservo:
I wonder Yogi...you're not exactly a Paul fan, are you?
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">oh, im the biggest Paul fan in the world!! really!!!

Old Feb 02, 2003, 05:15 PM   #17
Savoy Truffle
Paperback Writer

There is certainly a lot of heated discussion about this topic!

By the way, Maharishi, I do kind of share your concerns about Sir Paul and think that now George is gone he's trying to things strictly the way HE wants it, but he still has to get approval from 3 other people hopefully! I hope I'm wrong about Paul though!

I do agree with Paul about The Long and Winding Road though. I've never cared for the orchestration on it. But I really like what Spector did with Across the Universe and his lengthening of I Me Mine. And George's solo on Spector's Let it Be is great!

And I hope on this new release of Let it Be we get I Me Mine instead of Teddy Boy. Nothing against Teddy Boy, but I'd rather have two George songs instead of only one.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what it'll be like! But I'll make sure I get Spector's version of the Let it Be CD in case it disappears after the John's version comes out. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] * Right now I only have it on vinyl and a broken, unfixable turntable!
Old Feb 03, 2003, 06:51 PM   #18
JDanRyan
Wild Honey Pie

So now LET IT BE is no longer going to show any signs of Phil Spector, huh?

Considering what happened today, I'm not sure anyone wants to be associated with Phil for a while. Looks like the folks at Apple got out before the gettin' looked good... [img]graemlins/devil7.gif[/img]
Old Feb 03, 2003, 08:16 PM   #19
HariScruff_00
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted By Savoy Truffle:
I do agree with Paul about The Long and Winding Road though. I've never cared for the orchestration on it. But I really like what Spector did with Across the Universe and his lengthening of I Me Mine. And George's solo on Spector's Let it Be is great!
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I very much agree about long and winding road. The bootleg versions of that song are much better than the backing crap that Phil slapped on there, IMO. And I agree with John that there was a lot of "5h1T" that phil had to work with- but there was also a ton of great stuff. In my unprofessional opinion [img]graemlins/crosseyed1.gif[/img] , what was with things like Maggie Mae and the short version of Dig It? The album is very chopped up as well, there is no real flow to it at all (especially when you compare it to Sgt. Pepper, Abbey Road, Revolver, Rubber Soul, etc... tough comparison, i know- but this IS The Beatles).

On a side-note, I had neglected this album for a while but listened to it a couple days ago and payed more attention to the guitar work in Dig A Pony... man, those guys kicked some ass [img]graemlins/rocknroll2.gif[/img] *.

Peace and Love
Old Feb 04, 2003, 01:07 PM   #20
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted By Maharishi Mahesh Yogi:
To re-release Let it be in this way(with similar cover, tracklisting etc) is Sir Paul vainly trying to rewrite history, yet again..this is total rubbish..the spector version will remain the authorative and definitive version..
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">This is not quite fair. Nobody's rewriting history. If Paul was going to take the album, strip out Spector's production and then add his own new strings, backing vocals, etc., then I'd be totally with you, but that's not at all what this is about, as far as I've heard. It's just restoring the album to the way it was originally intended, and I haven't heard anybody "official" who's voiced any objection to doing that.

What's wrong with having two versions out there? If you don't like the de-Spectorized version, just don't buy it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Closed Thread