BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old May 17, 2007, 10:13 PM   #1
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Default The Definitive Paul Album Ranking

Have to split this post into two because of the length...

With Paul's 22nd studio album soon to be released, I decided to come up with my definitive ranking of the first 21. This is merely a self-indulgent list, but I'd be interested in what other people think, and I've included a link to a survey so that we can come up with an official Beatlelinks ranking.

Take the survey (Will be open for at least two weeks)

21. McCartney II

I don't even know if I can fake an interest in this album. Mercifully cut down from a double record to a single, there's still moments of "Huh? This is Paul McCartney?" on the final product. I don't mean to knock Paul for an album filled with some obviously experimental cuts, but there's a big difference between fooling around with some instruments and a tape player and recording an album for commercial release. That line is blurred on McCartney II, which has some solid songs but a number of tracks that are reminiscent of a painful bootleg. "One of These Days" is a tremendous, very underrated song, but it's one of the few bright spots among an album dominated by songs like "Frozen Jap" and "Darkroom."

20. Give My Regards to Broad Street

This soundtrack is dominated by re-recordings of old and not so old McCartney songs. In some cases, the remakes were interesting ("The Long and Winding Road") but the relatively straightforward versions of two tracks from an album only two years old at the time ("Wanderlust" and "Ballroom Dancing") are a bit unnecessary. (Yes, I know they're in the film and should be on the soundtrack. I just prefer the original recordings.) There are three new songs, including two decent rockers and the tremendous ballad, "No More Lonely Nights." It's an okay set, but in the end, it'll just make you pine for the superior original recordings of the remakes.

19. Press to Play

It's not even that Press to Play is a bad album, but it just doesn't feel like a McCartney album. There are no real standouts here, and I honestly have trouble differentiating between most of the songs—I know the lyrics to a ton of Paul songs by heart, but I couldn't recite any lyrics from "Footprints" if someone put a gun to my head. And speaking of lyrics, "However Absurd" is a total rip-off of "Pneumonia Ceilings" (ten points to anyone who gets that reference). Like McCartney II, Press to Play just feels out of place in the McCartney catalog. Don't get me wrong, it's not like there aren't some songs here that are worthwhile, but I just think the overall album doesn't work.

18. Choba B CCCP

This one's a bit of an oddity, consisting entirely of covers, only available in Russia for three years, and with at least three different track variations that I'm aware of. The result of a two-day jam session, this is actually a pretty good record, but the lack of any Macca originals and the later release of the superior covers collection, Run Devil Run, are two strikes against it. John Lennon's got the edge as far as "Bring it on Home to Me" covers go (nothing compares to the Sam Cooke original though), but there are some really solid recordings here, especially "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" and "Twenty Flight Rock." The rest is good but not essential.

17. Driving Rain

Some of these songs had the potential to be fantastic, but the production values leave a lot to be desired. But that's not to say that's the only flaw with this album, because there are still a couple of songs (particularly the two co-written with Paul's son, James) that aren't up to snuff, not to mention the rambling, never-ending "Rinse the Raindrops" and the well-intentioned but lacking "Freedom." With a little work, "Your Way," "Magic," and "About You" could be classics, and a better vocal would've improved the lead single, "From a Lover to a Friend." And I'm sure that Paul has no desire to listen to his tribute to "the queen of my heart, Heather" anymore. Who would've thought an album less than six years old would be so outdated?

16. London Town

I think pretty much everyone would agree that either this or Wild Life (or the democratic Wings at the Speed of Sound) would be the weakest Wings release. (Before it came out, Paul played it for Derek Taylor, who asked to hear the finished version. "That is the finished version," Paul told him. "Well, I don't like it," Derek replied. Paul was pissed off and pretty much severed ties with the guy. A decade later, they ran into each other at a party, where Paul told Derek, "You were right about London Town. It's shit.") This is the point where it starts getting to albums that I really do enjoy (no matter what Derek and Paul say), but compared to the rest of the catalog, London Town falls flat. There's a sort of folk-rock feel to most of the record, which tends to get old after a couple of tracks. To its credit, it does include one of the most underrated Macca songs ever, "I'm Carrying," and the fantastic hit single, "With a Little Luck." It also has the terrible "Girlfriend" and a pair of songs where Denny Laine sings about children (I'm not gonna go there). But I will confess—the almost universally hated closer, "Morse Moose and the Grey Goose" is easily one of my favorites. Can't deny those guitar licks!

15. Run Devil Run

Eleven years after his first album of covers, Paul gave the concept another try, with better results. Comparing the two, this album rocks harder, has better vocals, but I will admit that it has a weaker song selection. There are also three McCartney originals for good measure. Two of them fit in with the rest of the album, but despite being a pretty good song, "Try Not to Cry" sticks out like a sore thumb. Overall, the album is chockfull of great recordings, but it's hard to rank it too much higher because of the dominance of covers, good as they may be.

14. Wild Life

Yeah, I actually like this one. Sure, it's a bit sloppy, and you'd probably expect a lot more from the debut of one of the biggest bands of the 70s, but I still think it's a really good record. It's probably one of the rougher LPs in Paul's catalog, but that kind of adds to the appeal. "Mumbo" is a jam that doesn't go anywhere, but it's fun and at least it's not a ten-minute piece like "Rinse the Raindrops." And "Some People Never Know" is an absolute gem and probably one of my top five Wings tracks ever.

13. Pipes of Peace

The first half is pretty terrific stuff; it's some of the later songs (besides the great "Through Our Love") that hurt it. (Although I can't give the first half a total pass because of the stupid "dustbin lid" lyric in "The Other Me.") The title track is an absolute classic, but this album is probably best known for the Michael Jackson collaboration, "Say Say Say." I prefer the Stevie Wonder collaborations on Tug of War, but this and the underrated "The Man" are decent cuts. Probably the biggest reason Pipes of Peace doesn't seem to be very popular is that it follows the amazing Tug of War and in that respect, it's a let-down. But it's not that bad.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 10:14 PM   #2
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

12. Wings at the Speed of Sound

First off, let me just say how much I hate the cover of this. Memory Almost Full may only have a chair on the cover, but at least that's better than a text-only marquee. Now then, on to the music. The one big criticism that nearly everyone has about this album is the fact that everybody in the group steps up at the microphone for at least one song. I agree with that, but that doesn't mean there aren't some great tunes here. Besides, Denny's "Time to Hide" is pretty excellent (although the live version is superior). I'll admit that I think "Let 'Em In" is one of Paul's worst singles, but it doesn't detract from excellent, excellent songs like "She's My Baby," "San Ferry Anne," and Joe English's vocal spotlight, "Must Do Something About It." (I'd love to hear the version with Paul on lead vocals though.) "Beware My Love" is also great, but totally blown away by the live version.

11. Flaming Pie

I'm probably the only person who wouldn't put this in their top ten. That's not a mark against the album; it's just a bit overrated if you ask me. But there is a lot of stellar stuff on here, particularly "The World Tonight," "Beautiful Night," and especially "Calico Skies." I think some of the other songs go on a little too long, but there isn't a bad song in the bunch. Oh, and I don't really find this album as "Beatles-esque" as most, besides the title.

10. Venus and Mars

There's a big problem with this album and Wings at the Speed of Sound, and that's the fact that a lot of tracks from each of them were included on Wings Over America, which is by far the best Wings record in my opinion—three LPs of Wings in their best incarnation (and their live stuff almost always exceeded the studio work)—how can you not love it? (Okay, so there was a bit of "sweetening" on it.) Anyway, this is still a great album, but I honestly can never bring myself to listen to "Spirits of Ancient Egypt," "Call Me Back Again," or especially "Letting Go" since I know that, while they're decent recordings, the live versions kick their ass any day of the week. So while that is a knock against the album, I can't totally hold it against it. The studio version of "Listen to What the Man Said" is better than the live one, and easily one of Wings' best A-sides. This is kind of a transition album for the group, with Geoff Britton drumming on a couple of cuts before he abruptly quit the group, and Joe English on the rest. There's a few other gems here too, like the corny "You Gave Me the Answer" and brilliant "Love in Song."

9. Off the Ground

This is one that people seem to either love or hate, no real middle ground. In fact, most of the time, I see Off the Ground getting bashed for no real reason. There might be a few songs that run a little longer than they should, but besides "Winedark Open Sea" and the atrocious "Biker Like an Icon" (what is this???), every track's a keeper. "Looking for Changes" is a bit preachy, but it's a great rocker, and "Peace in the Neighborhood" is another one of my underrated favorites. The title track, "Mistress and Maid," and "The Lovers that Never Were" are all highlights too. "Hope of Deliverance" wouldn't have been my first choice for lead single, but it's still a good song from an underrated album.

8. Chaos and Creation in the Backyard

Paul's most recent album (as of this ranking) is pretty excellent, and I think far better than anyone expected after Driving Rain. I don't know if in a few years it will still be above albums like Venus and Mars for me, but I honestly do enjoy it. "Friends to Go" is easily one of his best songs in decades, and the weak "Follow Me" and droning "How Kind of You" are the only songs that don't really do it for me. (That said, I'm not a huge fan of "Promise to You Girl" but it's not bad by any means.) This album has a hard-to-explain simple yet epic feel to it. As I said, I'm not sure if it'll still be in the upper echelon in five years or so, but it'll never be anything but a great record.

7. McCartney

Ooh, vintage! This isn't a perfect album by any means. In fact, I might even go so far as to say that it's kind of disappointing. You'd think that an ex-Beatle would have a more impressive debut album than this (actually, I think that the "true" debut albums, All Things Must Pass, Plastic Ono Band, and Ringo are the best albums by each successive member) but it's got a great feel to it and some undeniable classics. Most of the instrumentals could've been left out, with the exception of the mysterious and catchy "Momma Miss America." "That Would Be Something," "Every Night," and "Man We Was Lonely" are all classics in their own right too (and even though it doesn't seem to be popular, I love "Oo You" too). The album even includes arguably Paul's greatest composition ever, "Maybe I'm Amazed"…unfortunately it's followed by one of his worst, the terrible "Kreen-Akrore," which closes the album on a sour note.

6. Flowers in the Dirt

The first 2/3 is complete and utter brilliance. The only one of the first eight songs that I don't absolutely love is "Rough Ride," which is still good. "This One" is one of my top ten (maybe top five) solo Paul songs. I can't really claim to be a big fan of the rest of the album, but it's definitely one of his best.

5. Red Rose Speedway

This one gets my vote for most underrated Paul solo album. There's only one bad song on the entire thing as far as I'm concerned, although admittedly it is a total piece of crap—"Loup (First Indian on the Moon)." Every other song here is fantastic (although "My Love" is overrated), particularly the Ram outtake "Get on the Right Thing," and possibly the single best closer of any Paul album, an eleven-minute, four-song medley. "Hands of Love" is definitely the highlight but the entire piece is great. I'll make my usual complaint that there's one song that goes on too long ("Little Lamb Dragonfly") but otherwise, this is an amazing record.

4. Band on the Run

1973 was definitely a great year for Wings, and this album deserves all the credit it gets. The only song that isn't at least a 9 or 10 is "Mamunia," which is still an incredible song. "Jet" is overrated but it's still an excellent anthem, and the story behind "Picasso's Last Words" eclipses the song itself, but man, what an amazing record. The title track is brilliant, "Let Me Roll It" is fantastic, "No Words" is an overlooked gem, "Bluebird" is a classic…and for once, the U.S. got a bonus after getting screwed time and time again by Capitol the previous decade, as "Helen Wheels" was included only on this side of the Atlantic.

3. Back to the Egg

My personal favorite Wings studio album, Back to the Egg doesn't get much respect. All everyone seems to remember it for is its lower-than-usual chart position. But take a listen and you'll find Paul rocking harder than ever, and some amazing, overlooked songs like "Getting Closer" and "Baby's Request." The two Rockestra tracks are awesome, and there are two very nice medleys as well. One mark against the album is the "concept" of it being like a radio station, thus the inclusion of "Reception" (a nice groove but forgettable) and the worthless "The Broadcast." The long-lost sibling of "Venus and Mars," "We're Open Tonight" is simple yet classic, and Denny Laine's "Again and Again and Again" is pretty sweet too.

2. Tug of War

This was my first Paul solo album, and I made a great choice. Okay, so "Be What You See" is worthless and I've never been a big fan of "Get It," but the rest of the set is so solid it's buried at the bottom of the Hoover Dam (1,000,000 points to anyone who gets that reference). You have Paul's beautiful tribute to John, "Here Today," the similarly serene "Wanderlust," and some extraordinarily catchy cuts like "Take it Away" and "Ballroom Dancing." Absolutely love this album.

1. Ram

Now this is a freakin' good record, to make an understatement. I like every song on here, even "3 Legs." I do wish they hadn't split up "Ram On," but that's really only a minor complaint when you have a near-perfect set like this. I know that some people find Linda's voice grating, but her harmonies on this album only help it (although I can't deny that her lead vocals on "Long-Haired Lady" are a bit painful). I honestly can't praise this album enough—which is why I'm always surprised to hear that it wasn't well received upon its original release (and some fans still don't seem to like it). Over the last 36 years, it has finally seemed to get the respect it deserves, and I know that I'm not the only person here who would put it at #1.

Comments? Questions? Let's see some of your rankings!

Yay!!!!!!
Old May 17, 2007, 11:15 PM   #3
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama View Post
I think pretty much everyone would agree that either this or Wild Life (or the democratic Wings at the Speed of Sound) would be the weakest Wings release. (Before it came out, Paul played it for Derek Taylor, who asked to hear the finished version. "That is the finished version," Paul told him. "Well, I don't like it," Derek replied. Paul was pissed off and pretty much severed ties with the guy. A decade later, they ran into each other at a party, where Paul told Derek, "You were right about London Town. It's shit.") This is the point where it starts getting to albums that I really do enjoy (no matter what Derek and Paul say), but compared to the rest of the catalog, London Town falls flat. There's a sort of folk-rock feel to most of the record, which tends to get old after a couple of tracks. To its credit, it does include one of the most underrated Macca songs ever, "I'm Carrying," and the fantastic hit single, "With a Little Luck." It also has the terrible "Girlfriend" and a pair of songs where Denny Laine sings about children (I'm not gonna go there). But I will confess—the almost universally hated closer, "Morse Moose and the Grey Goose" is easily one of my favorites. Can't deny those guitar licks!
This list is really nice to read

I will just reply bit by bit and start by saying that I do no know all of Paul's albums, but let me be the first to say I do not agree about this London Town album. I would rank with me within the top 5. But then.. Paul and I do not agree at more things so it is no surprise. Interesting though to read he thinks that of his own album.

I love most of the songs here and find for instance "With A Little Luck" the less interesting one. But the title song always moves me which is probably because I have a lifetime crush on London and also have spent quite some time in various cafes on the left bank. I think the combination of Paul, Linda and Denny worked really well and Linda's contribution to the album sounds very good to me. Deliver Your Children is a favorite here. I love I'm Carrying, Cuff Link for the amazing guitars, Don't Let It Bring You Down....

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 12:39 AM   #4
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

Thank you, this is a great topic Ringo Rama. And a well crafted survey. If it was only 'vote for your favourite one' it wouldn't take us anywhere. My rankings weren't however too surprising, lowest rating was 4 and I gave three albums a 10.

- Biggles
BadLittleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 11:47 AM   #5
darkhorse
Sun King

That was one of the greatest posts that I can remember around here.

Really great, detailed reviews that one thanks in the middle of all this "I love that song" or "I hate that song" things.

That is obviously in spite of the disagreements that one could have. I could never place Back to the Egg in my Top 5 because I think that, although it has a great and powerful sound, it is one of the weakest McCartney albums in terms of lyrics. I also think that Chaos & Creation has stood very well the process of time and I now rank it as my third or fourth favorite Paul album. Totally agree with your first, and your fourth is definitely my second.

In the "worst" department (you don't know how much I enjoy to be a little bit hypocritical sometimes), Press to Play gains all the awards from me. He promoted it as a big pop breakthrough or somtehing like that, and, after the failure of Broad Street in the theatres, it became just a nightmare. Dark songs with dreadful arrangements and easily one of the worst set of lyrics that one can remember ("Pretty Little Head", anyone?)... at least McCartney II has some good melodies, which is something that Press lacks. So does Driving Rain.

Thank you for the "Pneumonia Ceilings" references. I love to learn something new every day.

Again, post more often, whiz kid.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 06:32 PM   #6
Lynner

I might need to play all 21 albums back to back to back, etc. before I can really give a ranking, but I do agree with much of your list. Some of my numbers would be different, possibly because I was a fan from about Venus and Mars on. I would put London Town higher on the list and Red Rose Speedway much lower, but it's all down to each one's preference. I agree with some of the others who have posted in that this has been such a cool read and I will be reviewing it again (and again and again). Thanks for such great food for thought.
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 12:01 PM   #7
allyp
Fool On The Hill

1) BAND ON THE RUN

2) RAM

3) TUG OF WAR

4) FLAMING PIE

5) MCCARTNEY

6) VENUS AND MARS

7) FLOWERS IN THE DIRT

8) BACK TO THE EGG

9) CHAOS AND CREATION IN THE BACKYARD

10) OFF THE GROUND

11) AT THE SPEED OF SOUND

12) RED ROSE SPEEDWAY

13) RUN DEVIL RUN

14) DRIVING RAIN

15) MCCARTNEY 2

16) WILD LIFE

17) PIPES OF PEACE

18) PRESS TO PLAY

19) LONDON TOWN

20) CHOBA B CCCP

21) GIVE MY REGARDS TO BROADSTREET

Also UNPLUGGED-1991-is an overlooked recording but probably is not an official album but essential..It paved the way for the "unplugged" craze which people like Eric Clapton, r.e.m, and Nirvana would take advantage of..

Also live albums( uk releases)

WINGS OVER AMERICA- historic concert tour of the states with material from the beatles to wings's THE SPEED OF SOUND, One for die hards even though it sold well 8/10

TRIPPING THE LIVE FANTASTIC-1990- Mccartney's first big tour since 1977 bring the "flowers in the dirt" band line up to the live stage with recordings from all over the world. Many beatles songs are performed live for the first time ever as well as more recent (1989) material and wings stuff- 8/10

PAUL IS LIVE -1993- Recordings from "the new world tour" of midwest and other american cities as well as australia. A more diverse set list to "tripping..live" bringing older material together with newer "off the ground" tracks. Also included are soundcheck out-takes, one for mccartney completists, 8/10

BACK IN THE WORLD-2002- Paul "gets back" on the road for the first time in 7 years and puts his best live band together for many a year. These live performances are more stripped down and rawer than the more polished sound of "tripping..live" and paul divides acoustic and plugged material, mostly a beatles greatest hits set. It includes touching tributes to Lennon and Harrison as well as live favourites "hey jude" and "live and let die"..9/10
allyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 12:25 PM   #8
Legs
Sun King

Great reviews Ringo. My list ofcourse won't be the same, but I do agree with a lot of things. "One of These Days" is an overlooked gem, had it been on another album it might have got more atention. Paul however didn't plan to release McCartney II, friends of him insisted he must release it.

In general I like his 70's output the most. "Ram" "Band On The Run" "London Town" and "Back To the Egg" are great rock albums, and I think he produced some of his best work. I wouldn't place "Red Rose Speedway" in my top 5. It has some great songs, "Get on the right thing" being my favourite. But it's a promise not fully deliverd. The medley at the end has some nice moments, but it sounds mostly like a bunch of half finished songs stuck together rather effortlessly instead of finishing some of the better ones like eh perhaps "Hands of Love". It ain't the Abbey Road medley.

After that I think that since "Flowers In The Dirt" Paul has released a string of amazingly good albums, which makes you forget some of the lesser stuff from the 80's. Even "Driving Rain" has fantastic songs and include some of his better work. Apart from the songs he co-wrote with his son I like every track on it. And it's great that Paul still deliverers an album like "Chaos and Creation". Tho it's lacking in the rocking department, it's in a class of its own.

Last edited by Legs : May 22, 2007 at 12:31 PM.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 12:40 PM   #9
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyp View Post
BACK IN THE WORLD-2002- Paul "gets back" on the road for the first time in 7 years and puts his best live band together for many a year. These live performances are more stripped down and rawer than the more polished sound of "tripping..live" and paul divides acoustic and plugged material, mostly a beatles greatest hits set. It includes touching tributes to Lennon and Harrison as well as live favourites "hey jude" and "live and let die"..9/10
If I would include the live albums, this one would be my least favourite. By editing away the stage banner, and song introductions it's lacking a real live feel. Also the shows are to scripted, even more so then on his past tour. I saw him live in 2003, so it's a still a nice souvenir, but not my favourite live album. His best live album imo is still the first "Wings over America". Oh well here is at least the list of favourite live albums.

4 - "Back In The World/ U.S. 7/10
3 - "Paul Is Live" a somewhat different colection of songs then the obliged "Hey Jude" etc. 7/10
2 - "Tripping the live fantastic" Fantastic live set, great shows. 9/10
1 - "Wings Over America" 9/10
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 01:13 PM   #10
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

Very good list. Havent listened to any McCartney albums for a long time but from memory Ram is a definite number 1. Tug Of War is not that great if my memory/opinion serves me correct. McCartney would be my number 2 followed by Flaming Pie. I found Driving Rain and Chaos... both to be totally awful. Great to hear all opinions tho!
Old May 23, 2007, 12:02 AM   #11
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:

1. Ram

Now this is a freakin' good record, to make an understatement. I like every song on here, even "3 Legs." I do wish they hadn't split up "Ram On," but that's really only a minor complaint when you have a near-perfect set like this. I know that some people find Linda's voice grating, but her harmonies on this album only help it (although I can't deny that her lead vocals on "Long-Haired Lady" are a bit painful). I honestly can't praise this album enough—which is why I'm always surprised to hear that it wasn't well received upon its original release (and some fans still don't seem to like it). Over the last 36 years, it has finally seemed to get the respect it deserves, and I know that I'm not the only person here who would put it at #1.

Comments? Questions? Let's see some of your rankings!
Amazing how this album still does it to so many huh.. a bit like Ringo's RINGO maybe?

It is also my absolute number 1. I love each song of it..

Too Many People - amazing guitars and a great Linda there, top class

3 Legs -

Ram on - I think a mix of various small parts he had made.. one of George's ukes? Sounds a bit Beach Boys with the harmonies but really cool. Linda is so underestimated. Funny indeed to split it up.

Dear Boy - cool echo .. Paul did quite some of those, probably because of his love for old music

Uncle / Halsey - just marvelous and very creative to mix those two in to one.

Smile Away - one of my favs.. great rocker

Heart Of The Country - makes you feel right in the middle of it. Paul is so good in making these simple acoustic tunes. Just try to write one like this. You won't. And this bass !!!

Monkberry Moon Delight - my top favorite and I wonder why this always had so little attention in all his catalogue. The voice but also the guitars and..again.. Linda .... My throat was never happy with this song I think..

Eat At Home - simple, easy, but after all these years still really nice to hear

Long Haired Lady - just brilliant to my ears. the arrangement with all these parts put together... and especially the ending

Back Seat Of My Car - I loved this one even more when I picked up some bootlegs of it.. and again a bit Beach Boys influence?

Overall Paul showed here how easy he can handle all these instruments, doing very nice arrangements and.. how fantastic Linda actually was.

Old May 23, 2007, 02:50 PM   #12
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
That was one of the greatest posts that I can remember around here.
Can't tell you how much I appreciate that.

Glad to see Ram getting some much-deserved love, I knew it was pretty popular here but I didn't expect it to be this popular.

For the live albums, I have a tough time deciding between Unplugged and Wings Over America for the top spot--I'd probably give WOA the nod as a triple set (on LP at least) and it's Wings at their peak.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, and if you haven't already done it, please take the survey linked to in the first post!

Yay!!!!!!
Old May 23, 2007, 10:08 PM   #13
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone, and if you haven't already done it, please take the survey linked to in the first post!
I did but then end up at some page where I think I am to register and choose from 3 packages to get the outcome of the survey...

Old May 24, 2007, 10:38 AM   #14
ShellyP
Apple Scruff

Ringo Rama,

This was such a great post! I loved reading every word. Got me thinking! I agree with your comments on just about every album, but my rankings are a little different. I loved London Town (it's my avatar!), so I rate it pretty high.

I also listen to Red Rose Speedway all the time. I actually have every Paul CD, so I can intelligently rate these. Although Little Lamb Dragonfly is long, it is one of my fave Paul songs. I am getting married in 3 weeks, and "I'm Carrying," "My Love," "Grow Old Along with Me" (John), "Something," "Michelle" (that's my real name), and "Twist and Shout" are all on my playlist for the reception! Here are my rankings for Paul's albums.

1) BAND ON THE RUN
2) RAM
3) RED ROSE SPEEDWAY
4) LONDON TOWN
5) MCCARTNEY
6) RUN DEVIL RUN
7) FLAMING PIE
8) AT THE SPEED OF SOUND
9) VENUS AND MARS
10) BACK TO THE EGG
11) CHAOS AND CREATION IN THE BACKYARD
12) TUG OF WAR
13) FLOWERS IN THE DIRT
14) DRIVING RAIN
15) OFF THE GROUND
16) WILD LIFE
17) PIPES OF PEACE
18) PRESS TO PLAY
19) GIVE MY REGARDS TO BROADSTREET
20) CHOBA B CCCP
21) MCCARTNEY 2
ShellyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2007, 04:37 PM   #15
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

I wanted to bump this to add MAF to my ranking, but Best Buy didn't have the deluxe version so I ordered it from Amazon.

Either way, I'm keeping the survey open just a little bit longer, so if you haven't taken it, please make sure you do! Results should start in about a week.

Yay!!!!!!
Old Jun 07, 2007, 05:02 AM   #16
IWantToTellYou
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to IWantToTellYou

I took the survey for fun, and I ranked two of his albums below five! (I couldn't believe it myself). There are other albums that are tepid...Wild Life, Press to Play, WATSOS, and McCartney II.

This is how I would rank the albums. Everyone has a different opinion, and I think it is neat to compare rankings. This is a great thread by the way! I had some difficulty trying to rank my top five...

1) Venus and Mars
2) Ram
3) Back to the Egg
4) Band on the Run
5) Off the Ground
6) Flowers in the Dirt
7) Flaming Pie
8) Chaos
9) MAF
10) London Town
11) Red Rose Speedway
12) Tug of War
13) Choba B CCCP
14) McCartney
15) Wings at the Speed of Sound
16) McCartney II
17) Give My Regards to Broadstreet
18) Press to Play
19) Wild Life
20) Run Devil Run
21) Driving Rain
22) Pipes of Peace
Old Jun 17, 2007, 02:38 PM   #17
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Ready for the first results? I'll be posting them in three groups of seven. The number following the album name is the average rating.

21. McCartney II - 4.3

20. Press to Play - 4.85

19. Wild Life - 5.2

18. Give My Regards to Broad Street - 5.35

17. Driving Rain - 5.45

16. CHOBA B CCCP - 5.55

15. Wings at the Speed of Sound - 5.75

Yay!!!!!!
Old Jun 18, 2007, 12:33 AM   #18
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

I can't wait for the results, almost as exciting as the Monty Python Election Special.

The results so far have been pretty much as I had expected, except that McCartney II lost.

- Biggles
BadLittleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 12:39 PM   #19
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

14. Pipes of Peace - 5.85

13. London Town - 6.25

12. Red Rose Speedway - 6.9

11. Off the Ground - 6.95

10. Run Devil Run - 7

9. Venus and Mars - 7.35

8. McCartney - 7.4

Yay!!!!!!
Old Jun 28, 2007, 05:57 AM   #20
AMBOISVERT
Dr. Robert

I can only speak to the albums I am familiar with, BUT I would rank them as follows:

1. McCartney
2. Unplugged
3. Band on the Run
4. Ram

(these top four are almost on a level with each other, in my view)

5. Wild Life
6. Choba in CCCP
7. Run Devil Run
8. Speed of Sound
9. Tug of War

I have to admit that (beyond the first four albums) I am rarely interested in going beyond the material on WINGSPAN.

AMBOISVERT is offline   Reply With Quote