BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old Aug 04, 2004, 04:03 PM   #1
jtal909
Sun King

Default Vote For Change Tour: Sprinsteen/Raitt/Browne/REM/Fogerty

A bunch of artists are going to tour with a vote for change campaign. They'll do a series of concerts in certain cities grouped together in different venues with each cast.

Here's an interview with Bruce Springsteen about it and his feelings. http://www.backstreets.com/news.html

"VOTE FOR CHANGE" IS GONNA COME: BRUCE & THE E STREET BAND TO KICK OFF MINI-TOUR OCTOBER 1
Tickets on sale August 21 for five-night mini-tour with R.E.M. and John Fogerty
One year after the Rising tour's end, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band will be back on the road for a multi-artist tour with purpose, the likes of which Springsteen fans haven't seen since the 1988 Human Rights Now! Tour for Amnesty International. This time, the banner is Vote for Change, a "loose coalition of musicians brought together by a single idea -- the need to make a change in the direction of our country."

A month before the Presidential election, starting on October 1, Springsteen and the E Street Band will join a large group of fellow musicians to make their voices heard at concerts in swing states. The "Vote for Change" Tour is a multi-city, multi-artist tour that focuses on key electoral battleground states, bringing Springsteen and the E Streeters to Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, and Florida. Sharing the bill at each stop will be R.E.M., John Fogerty, and Bright Eyes. Click here for the full itinerary.

Springsteen talked to Backstreets editor Chris Phillips while gearing up for the tour announcement: "I always believed that it was good for the artist to remain distant from the seat of power, to retain your independent voice, and that was just the way I liked to conduct my work. But the stakes in this one are just too high. I felt like, given what I've written about, the things that I've wanted our band to stand for over the years, it's just too big a battle to lay out of."

Also playing Vote For Change concerts at the same time (hitting other cities in the same states, as well as Iowa, Wisconsin, and Missouri): Pearl Jam, Death Cab for Cutie, Dixie Chicks, James Taylor, Dave Matthews Band, Ben Harper, Jurassic 5, My Morning Jacket, Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, Keb' Mo', Babyface, John Mellencamp, and more. In all, there will be roughly 34 shows in 28 cities in just over a week.

A statement from the coalition lays out their mission in clear terms: "We share a belief that this is the most important election of our lifetime. We are fighting for a government that is open, rational, just and progressive. And we intend to be heard. We plan to do something never done before -- to concentrate our energies in the states where the election is expected to be closest. We hope this commitment of time and effort by so many artists and our willingness to take our energy to so many parts of the country will help inspire our fellow citizens to take a hard look at what is at stake in this election, at the federal, state, and local level, and to get involved in trying to move our country in a truly compassionate and humane direction ... Most importantly, we wish to communicate our concerns to our fellow citizens and join with them in the effort to change the direction of our government towards one that will make our country as great as it can be."

The Vote for Change Tour is presented by MoveOn PAC/MoveOn.org with all concert proceeds benefitting America Coming Together. All the artists will be donating their time and talent for the tour.

Tickets: All Vote for Change concert tickets go on sale through Ticketmaster on August 21. For Springsteen's itinerary, as well as additional ticket sale information as soon as it's available, see our Tour/Ticket Info page. And of course, we'll be following the tour blow-by-blow on our setlists page.

Press: In conjunction with the tour announcement, Springsteen will appear on the August 4 edition of ABC's Nightline, interviewed by Ted Koppel, at 11:35 Eastern. For more related press as it comes in, check our "Out on the Wire" column at right.
- August 4, 2004
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2004, 05:16 PM   #2
Hari's Chick

Default Re: Vote For Change Tour: Sprinsteen/Raitt/Browne/REM/Fogerty

Very interesting! Now, I wonder...is their goal to have ANY change from Bush or are they just encouraging one certain candidate? Just kinda curious...
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2004, 05:31 PM   #3
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2004, 05:44 PM   #4
MaccaGirl2891
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via MSN to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via Yahoo to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via Skype™ to MaccaGirl2891

I can't believe this. It's very STUPID if you ask me. I'm very disappointed in them, especially my fellow Hoosiers Babyface and John Mellencamp. Shameful, they'll be the laughingstock of the nation when the elections are over. In fact, I'll start laughing right now!
MaccaGirl2891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2004, 06:20 PM   #5
jtal909
Sun King

[ QUOTE ]
Hari's Chick Posted:
Very interesting! Now, I wonder...is their goal to have ANY change from Bush or are they just encouraging one certain candidate? Just kinda curious...

[/ QUOTE ]

You might get some insight here with the interview http://www.backstreets.com/news.html
Old Aug 06, 2004, 04:51 AM   #6
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

I would like to expand on my rolling eyes. I am still rolling my eyes but..... At first my response would be the classic 'shut up and sing', after more soul searching and a little more info (such as my daughter doesn't expect me to shell out the money for her to go see him), I will give them a break.

I see little wrong with them doing this concert. They have that right as Americans. The fact that this is being promoted as a political concert is honesty at its best. I however disagree strongly with Bruce's political views and choose not to attend.

I only hope it is not my last chance to see him. And just for the record I doubt this concert will really change anyones mind.
Old Aug 06, 2004, 02:56 PM   #7
jtal909
Sun King

Bruce took a lot of heat in the Asbury Park Press about this. Here's an excerpt below and link tothe article.
www.app.com (scroll down to Monmouth County and you will see it)

Blunder road? Bruce attacked for partisan path

Published in the Asbury Park Press 8/06/04
By MICHAEL RILEY
STAFF WRITER
It's not like he didn't see this coming.

"We who are about to be lambasted salute you," Bruce Springsteen told Ted Koppel on Wednesday night's edition of ABC television's "Nightline" when discussing his decision to be a part of a series of anti-Bush Vote for Change concerts in swing states this October.

The lambasting has begun.

Following Springsteen's announcement and the Asbury Park Press' front-page coverage of it, reaction from readers and fans has ranged from anger to disappointment.

Maria Castronova's reaction is typical.

"I love Bruce Springsteen's work," the 40-year-old Spotswood resident said. "I love the man. His music has been the soundtrack for my life. But this announcement disappointed me. I don't take political advice from a college dropout. He should just stick to what he does best."

Her disappointment, she said, doesn't take away from her memories of him in concert or her joy in his songs.

But she definitely will not be attending any Vote for Change concerts.
Old Aug 06, 2004, 05:54 PM   #8
Sarandipity
Dr. Robert

I just signed up for the ticket presale... Bruce is playing in Orlando on October 8 (okay I'd rather see John Mellencamp, but that's just the Hoosier coming out in me), and if it's decently priced I may have to skip out on classes and go. Appears to be a good concert, for a good cause.

Artist Declaration

"Vote for Change is a loose coalition of musicians brought together by a single idea the need to make a change in the direction of our country. We share a belief that this is the most important election of our lifetime. We are fighting for a government that is open, rational, just, and progressive...."
Sarandipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 12:29 PM   #9
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

So did anyone go to any of these???
Old Oct 12, 2004, 02:35 PM   #10
Clark Kent
Sun King

Rather than "Vote for Change", the Tour should be called "Vote for a change". Turnout in Presidential elections is pitiful.
Clark Kent is offline   Reply With Quote