BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Apr 14, 2009, 12:47 PM   #1
FPSHOT
Sun King

Default 'Let It Roll: Songs By George Harrison,'

Capitol/EMI Announces Global Release of George Harrison's First Ever Career-Spanning Solo Hits Collection, 'Let It Roll: Songs By George Harrison,' on June 16

CD and Digital Collection Features Harrison's Solo Hits, Remastered, Plus Live Recordings from 1971 Concert For Bangladesh

George Harrison Honored Today with Hollywood Walk of Fame Star Presentation

HOLLYWOOD, Calif., April 14 /PRNewswire/ -- As music legend George Harrison is celebrated today with a new star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in Los Angeles, Capitol/EMI announces Harrison's first ever career-spanning solo hits collection, Let It Roll: Songs by George Harrison. To be released June 16, the new title will feature digitally remastered tracks in deluxe packaging, including an extensive booklet featuring previously unseen and rare photos. The collection will also be available for download from all major digital service providers.

Let It Roll: Songs by George Harrison is the first release that will span his entire solo recording career, including the #1 Billboard Pop singles "My Sweet Lord," "Isn't It A Pity," "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)," and "Got My Mind Set On You." The new title will also feature live recordings of three Harrison-penned Beatles songs, "Something," "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," and "Here Comes The Sun" from his 1971 all-star Concert For Bangladesh benefit at Madison Square Garden. The complete track list will soon be announced.

George Harrison is a twice-inducted member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, as a solo artist and as a member of The Beatles, and an 11-time Grammy Award winner for his recordings with The Beatles, Traveling Wilburys and as a solo artist.

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 01:00 PM   #2
jklein87
Apple Scruff

Send a message via AIM to jklein87 Send a message via Yahoo to jklein87

I would imagine Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll) would be on the this new set. Happens to be one of my favorite Harrisongs.

jklein87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 05:12 PM   #3
DoctorWho
Fool On The Hill

i must confess that tracks that i would love to see just so that they have a home on an album would be "Poor Little Girl"-it is a great track that got overlooked from the dark horse years box set (which is where i think it should have been) alongside with "Cockamanie Business" and "Cheer Down"

Some other nice tracks would be "I Don't Want To Do It"-the single version from Porky's Revenge; the studio version of "Bangla Desh"

But most of all there was a great Harrison power ballad that was mentioned by Timothy white called "Valentine" (I think)-would be beautiful to have that one out....

so many great tracks for this release...the title does not have "best of..." or "greatest hits" attached to it....but is "Let It Roll: Songs by George Harrison" which as a title gives some freedom in putting this together....
Old Apr 14, 2009, 05:22 PM   #4
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
i must confess that tracks that i would love to see just so that they have a home on an album would be "Poor Little Girl"-it is a great track that got overlooked from the dark horse years box set (which is where i think it should have been) alongside with "Cockamanie Business" and "Cheer Down"

Some other nice tracks would be "I Don't Want To Do It"-the single version from Porky's Revenge; the studio version of "Bangla Desh"

But most of all there was a great Harrison power ballad that was mentioned by Timothy white called "Valentine" (I think)-would be beautiful to have that one out....

so many great tracks for this release...the title does not have "best of..." or "greatest hits" attached to it....but is "Let It Roll: Songs by George Harrison" which as a title gives some freedom in putting this together....
Great suggestions, DoctorWho! Welcome to the Palace! It's about time Valentine sees the light of day, lol!

I also hope they include Abandoned Love.... and Sat Singing, Tears of the World, and Flying Hour, too.

We heard a brand new alternate of WMGGW at the star event today and it well may have been the one they refer to in this article. Caused quite a stir today~ beautiful version!
Old Apr 14, 2009, 05:55 PM   #5
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
Welcome to BeatleLinks mister Troppo/Doctor Who Good to see you here.

The title indeed leaves open many opportunities.

Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:29 AM   #6
darkhorse
Sun King

I sure do hope they throw in something for the die-heard fan... "Abandoned Love", "Poor Little Girl", "I Don't Want to Do it", and (especially) "Cheer Down" could be nice fan-pleasing tracks. And they could compensate the fact that (in my very own personal opinion, which I know will be in the minority), George renditions of Beatle songs do not belong to a "solo carrer spanning" compilation...

Yesterday I compiled a "Best of George" CD for dad - I included the most famous songs, and some of my personal favorites which perhaps were not big hits anywhere at all. It sounded fluid and good, and it made me think again about how easy is to compile your 'best-of' CDs nowadays, given that you have all the needed material. Under those conditions, this compilation would appear to be directed to casual fans, who, for any reason in the world, would want "just one CD" of George's songs...

And in that case my advice would be, get ATMP, and then get the rest of them...
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:34 AM   #7
FPSHOT
Sun King

yeah I also have some thoughts about the Beatles three but well they have been played so many times after 1970 Live in all sort of gigs so it's become a part of George which also links for younger people to his Beatles life.

The combination of "most famous songs" and "favorites" makes it all so nice to look back on, at the same time hard to make a "best of" which we tried here so many times.

Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:40 AM   #8
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
And they could compensate the fact that (in my very own personal opinion, which I know will be in the minority), George renditions of Beatle songs do not belong to a "solo carrer spanning" compilation...
Well, then we can be a minority of two because I very much agree with you! On a live album, yeah, that's one thing but studio stuff? Not unless he actually released studio recordings of old Beatles songs, which I cannot recall he has.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:43 AM   #9
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Yesterday I compiled a "Best of George" CD for dad -
care to share the list of songs?

Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:48 AM   #10
Legs
Sun King

They might be Beatle era songs, but the concert for Bangle Desh was such an important solo event that I don't think these live tracks are out of place on an overview of George's carreer. Even tho you can argue that at least they could use George's solo songs from that concert, but then there might already be a good deal of ATMP tracks on it.

The fact that it will contain live and studio tracks doesn't bother me at all, I like the fact that it's not a typical greatest hits, and that's not going to be a release according to a standard formula.
Overall it seems like an overview of George's work, studio and live recordings. I am hoping for a few surprises here and there, as personally I don't see the need of buying the compilation if it just contains previously released material.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:52 AM   #11
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
Great suggestions, DoctorWho! Welcome to the Palace! It's about time Valentine sees the light of day, lol!

I also hope they include Abandoned Love.... and Sat Singing, Tears of the World, and Flying Hour, too.

We heard a brand new alternate of WMGGW at the star event today and it well may have been the one they refer to in this article. Caused quite a stir today~ beautiful version!
That sounds interesting, I really hope they would include that alternate of WMGGW, even tho it's not a solo song.
Some nice surprises would be nice, we hear so much about Valentine, it's about time we will hear it as well.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:58 AM   #12
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs View Post
They might be Beatle era songs, but the concert for Bangle Desh was such an important solo event that I don't think these live tracks are out of place on an overview of George's carreer.

I agree. Come to think of it, we are in 2009 now but the Bangla Desh concert was the first time he did all those songs on stage. Non of them had been done Live before and I still remember watching the film at it's release in the 70's and having that amaaaaazing feeling when the lights went on and Wah Wah started and then all the other ones and now in 2009 we know so many accoustic "Here Comes The Sun" versions but back then...greatest as can be?

Old Apr 17, 2009, 04:53 PM   #13
Hari's Chick

Default Olivia on the new release...

"All the songs which have been included in this collection have been remastered by J Martin at Abbey Road. To me, it's not just the best of, it's not just the essential, and it's not all those words- compendium, collection... It's more than that. But I think that we've represented George really well. And they do span from very early songs right until his last album. And a couple on there actually that haven't been included on any other albums. It's kind of hard to put together a collection of George's because his music changed ...although he was always true to his music... he didn't write music for ... really...ever...for a commerical market. And I think that thread of his inner beliefs is something that- if there's a thread, that's the one.. and it ran through his life not only in his music but in his thoughts.."
Old Apr 17, 2009, 04:53 PM   #14
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs View Post
Some nice surprises would be nice, we hear so much about Valentine, it's about time we will hear it as well.
I so agree! :)
Old Apr 19, 2009, 06:22 PM   #15
darkhorse
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
care to share the list of songs?
Well... take into account that it combines famous songs with favorite songs...

I'd Have You Anytime
My Sweet Lord
Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)
Any Road
Blow Away
What Is Life
You
All Those Years Ago
Dark Horse
Crackerbox Palace
If Not for You
Beautiful Girl
That's the Way it Goes
Stuck Inside a Cloud
This Is Love
When We Was Fab
Got My Mind Set on You
Handle With Care
Your Love Is Forever
Run of the Mill
All Things Must Pass

Any word on the tracklisting of Let it Roll yet?
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 06:36 PM   #16
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
"All the songs which have been included in this collection have been remastered by J Martin at Abbey Road. To me, it's not just the best of, it's not just the essential, and it's not all those words- compendium, collection... It's more than that. But I think that we've represented George really well. And they do span from very early songs right until his last album. And a couple on there actually that haven't been included on any other albums. It's kind of hard to put together a collection of George's because his music changed ...although he was always true to his music... he didn't write music for ... really...ever...for a commerical market. And I think that thread of his inner beliefs is something that- if there's a thread, that's the one.. and it ran through his life not only in his music but in his thoughts.."
This is all so interesting to hear thanks for posting HC.

Well with this interview it shows that Dhani does not do everything himself and that the whole had been taken care of. So have a little faith in the Harrisons.

Also for the remark "And a couple on there actually that haven't been included on any other album"

Giles did excellent work on the LOVE project.

So when we hear "George's son is working on George's album"

Last edited by FPSHOT : Apr 19, 2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 06:46 PM   #17
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Well... take into account that it combines famous songs with favorite songs...
That is a beautiful compilation

Quote:
Any word on the tracklisting of Let it Roll yet?
I haven't seen anything yet and sure am looking around for it. With the announcement on the 14th I would not think the additional news will appear within at least a few weeks...otherwise they would have done it on the 14th? Just a thought...

Old Apr 19, 2009, 07:57 PM   #18
deepbluedarkstar
Fool On The Hill

I think they were playing some tracks from Let It Roll at the ceremony. We'd hear these great alternative takes. I bet they'll include some of those. They had a really cool version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps. I can't wait for it to come out!
Old Apr 25, 2009, 04:45 PM   #19
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

I'm not a big fan of live tracks being included on greatest hits sets (unless the live versions were actual hits, like with Cheap Trick), and especially considering how much he hated that the first best-of included Beatles songs...it feels kind of like a slap in the face to me.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 10:30 PM   #20
FPSHOT
Sun King

Amazon UK has a picture what may be the album cover.

here it is

Album Cover ??

Very beautiful