BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Feb 03, 2003, 10:33 AM   #1
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

Default Producer Phil Spector arrested...

http://www.msnbc.com/news/868150.asp

Breaking news here folks! Just been sent this on the wireless...

Producer Phil Spector arrested

KNBC reports shooting death in Alhambra, Calif.

MSNBC STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS

ALHAMBRA, Calif., Feb. 3 — Legendary record producer Phil Spector was arrested Monday for investigation of homicide after the body of a woman was found at a home in this Los Angeles suburb, authorities said.

In his legendary career, Spector produced such music greats as Tina Turner and the Ramones.

KNBC Reported that the shooting occurred shortly after 5 a.m. According to a sheriff’s report, the victim was pronounced dead at the scene, KNBC said. Spector, 63, who was born Harvey Phillip Spector in the Bronx section of New York, is being held at the Alhambra Police Station.
In his legendary career, Spector produced such music greats as Tina Turner and the Ramones. He started in the music business in 1958 as writer, guitarist and backup singer for the the Teddy Bears, the Los Angeles group that soared to No. 1 with their first release, “To Know Him Is to Love Him.” By the early ’60s, he had perfected “The Wall of Sound” effect that involved overdubbing scores of musicians to create a massive roar, which changed the way pop records were produced and opened unlimited possibilities for arrangements in pop and rock. The Wall influenced the course of rock for a wealth of performers.
Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1989, Spector produced records for the Beatles, the Righteous Brothers and the Crystals. Among his session players, known as the “Wrecking Crew,” were guitarist Glen Campbell, pianist Leon Russell, drummer Hal Blaine and the late Sonny Bono, who learned the producer’s trade under Spector.
Spector produced a string of ’60s hits, including the Crystals’ “Da Doo Ron Ron” and “Then He Kissed Me,” the Ronettes’ “Be My Baby” and “Walking in the Rain,” and Darlene Love’s “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)” and “(Today I Met) the Boy I’m Gonna Marry.”
Spector married Ronnie Bennett, a member of the Ronettes. They divorced in 1974. He has five children.
Spector’s father, Benjamin, committed suicide in 1949. Spector later visited the grave and used the inscription “To Know Him Was to Love Him” as the basis for a hit song.
Spector’s last major album was “End of the Century,” a 1980 collaboration with the Ramones. During the session, the late bassist Dee Dee Ramone said Spector pulled a gun on the band.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Harb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2003, 10:40 AM   #2
Siobhan
Old Brown Shoe

Default Re: Producer Phil Spector arrested...

Oh my god! I know he was said a bit mad, but wow! That is a shock.
Siobhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2003, 10:47 AM   #3
Magill
Sun King

Bad senior citizen..BAAAD! I can't believe it. I'm sure Paul will testify that Phil killed his song, Long & Winding Road. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Magill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2003, 10:49 AM   #4
Siobhan
Old Brown Shoe

Please ignore!

[size="1"][ Feb 03, 2003, 11:51 AM: Message Edited By: Siobhan ][/size]
Siobhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2003, 10:51 AM   #5
Savoy Truffle
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally posted by Magill:
Bad senior citizen..BAAAD! I can't believe it. I'm sure Paul will testify that Phil killed his song, Long & Winding Road. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh5.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh5.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh5.gif[/img]

I shouldn't laugh! This is a pretty serious charge. I hope he didn't do it.

But your post was very funny, Magill!

[size="1"][ Feb 04, 2003, 11:55 AM: Message Edited By: Savoy Truffle ][/size]
Savoy Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2003, 12:06 PM   #6
SF4-EVER

Yes, it is a shocking and sad situation. I feel sorry for the families involved.

Acutally, didn't Spector also bring a gun into the studio when he was working with John on Rock and Roll?
SF4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2003, 12:19 PM   #7
LuvLennon
Wild Honey Pie

I've heard that Phil Spector is a little odd and eccentric, but I can't believe that he would actually kill someone...hopefully its not the case
LuvLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2003, 03:15 PM   #8
StrawberryShorty
Day Tripper

I just seen this on EXTRA! Very shocking!
StrawberryShorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2003, 03:30 PM   #9
Maggie Mae
Mr. Moonlight

My mom just told me that he had actually been charged with first-degree murder - she heard that at around two this afternoon. What have you all heard? Was he formally charged or are they just questioning him?
Maggie Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2003, 03:43 PM   #10
beatlewho01-02
Wild Honey Pie

I should feel shocked but somehow I also feel a little [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] *because he ruined Let It Be right? Plus the de Spectorized version of LIB is coming out so that will also be another blow to him.
beatlewho01-02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2003, 04:14 PM   #11
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Here's the latest AP wire story:

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/sto...INS&SECTION=US

Feb 3, 7:59 PM EST

Record Producer Phil Spector Arrested

By ERICA WERNER
Associated Press Writer

ALHAMBRA, Calif. (AP) -- Phil Spector, the legendary record producer whose "wall of sound" helped change the sound of pop music in the 1960s, was arrested Monday for allegedly shooting a woman to death at his suburban mansion.

Spector, 62, was seized at the castle-like estate around 5 a.m. after someone in the home called authorities. Sgt. Joe Efflandt said Spector was taken to the Alhambra Police Department and booked for investigation of murder.

Attorney Robert Shapiro, whose clients have included O.J. Simpson, said he was representing Spector but couldn't discuss the case until he talked to his client. Bail was set at $1 million.

Authorities did not immediately identify the woman or her relationship to Spector.

The victim, found in the foyer, appeared to be in her early to mid-20s and authorities were trying to locate her relatives, sheriff's Lt. Daniel Rosenberg said. He said deputies had found the murder weapon but released no details.

Police arrived after someone in the home called to report shots had been fired, Rosenberg said.

"Someone else was there at the time of the shooting," he said, declining to elaborate. A black Mercedes-Benz sedan with the driver's door open was parked in the driveway of the home, which records show Spector bought in 1998 for $1.1 million.

A friend of Spector's, attorney Marvin Mitchelson, said the producer lived alone and didn't have a girlfriend. He said he and Spector had been trying to put together a movie about Spector's life.

"His mental state has been great - very rational, very together," the attorney said.

Spector is famous for creating the "wall of sound" effect that involved overdubbing to create a full, dramatic sound. The technique, which combines multiple instruments, vocals and sound effects, changed the way pop records were produced while bringing fame to groups like the Ronettes and the Crystals.

In his storied career, Spector produced records for Elvis Presley, Ike and Tina Turner, the Righteous Brothers and Darlene Love. He produced the last Beatles album, "Let It Be," in 1970, worked with John Lennon on "Imagine" and helped Yoko Ono produce Lennon's work after he was killed in 1980.

Among the hits bearing his signature style are "Da Doo Ron Ron" and "Then He Kissed Me" by the Crystals; "Walking in the Rain" by the Ronettes and "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" by the Righteous Brothers.

His session players, known as the "Wrecking Crew," included guitarist Glen Campbell, pianist Leon Russell, drummer Hal Blaine and the late Sonny Bono, who learned the producer's trade under Spector.

But his production style, involving heavy use of echo, went out of style. Paul McCartney is known to hate Spector's work on "Let it Be," done without his consent, and has said he wants to release the album stripped of Spector's contributions.

Spector, who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1989, has been reclusive over the past couple of decades. His last major album was "End of the Century," a 1980 collaboration with the Ramones.

During the session, the late bassist Dee Dee Ramone once said, Spector pulled a gun on the band.

"I don't think he would hurt a fly. Until anything happens, you're innocent until you're proven guilty. I don't think Phil had it in him to murder anybody," Marky Ramone, drummer for the Ramones, told the Fox News Channel.

A 1995 biography by Rolling Stone magazine said the producer at times displayed near-psychotic and abusive behavior.

"It had to stop," Spector said of his behavior in a 1977 Los Angeles Times interview. "Being the rich millionaire in the mansion and then dressing up as Batman. I have to admit I did enjoy it to a certain extent. But I began to realize it was very unhealthy."

Spector was a 17-year-old student at Fairfax High School in Los Angeles when he wrote and produced his first No. 1 hit, a 1958 ballad for the Teddy Bears called "To Know Him Is to Love Him." Its title was taken from the inscription on the gravestone of his father, Benjamin, who committed suicide in 1949 when Spector was 9.

Spector's second wife was Ronnie Bennett, lead singer of the Ronettes. They divorced in 1974. He has five children from his marriages.

The Ronettes have sued Spector for allegedly cheating them out of earnings from the recordings. The lawsuit, which seeks $3 million, is pending in New York state court.
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2003, 04:14 PM   #12
Nerk Sister
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted By Maggie Mae:
What have you all heard? Was he formally charged or are they just questioning him?
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I read that he was charged. I saw a little of this on FOX news earlier tonight. They said that a 911 call came in from Spector's mansion. When the police got there, a young woman in her twenties was found dead in the foyer. They said Spector was the only suspect. Bond was set at one million dollars and they expected him to post it later tonight. Robert Shapiro (one of the lawyers for OJ Simpson) has been hired as Spector's lawyer.
Nerk Sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2003, 04:20 PM   #13
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

This is the info from CNN. It looks like he WAS charged.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Musi...est/index.html

Rock music impresario Phil Spector charged with murder

LOS ANGELES (CNN) --Phil Spector, the record producer whose "Wall of Sound" backed up rock groups from the Ronettes to the Ramones, was charged with murder Monday in the early morning shooting death of a woman at his suburban home.

The reclusive producer -- also known for his work with the Beatles -- was arrested at his sprawling home in Alhambra, California, after a report of a shooting about 5 a.m. Monday (8 a.m. EST).

Neighbor Susan Georgino said she heard what sounded like firecrackers shortly after 5 a.m., and said her dog was "going crazy" after the noise.

"When the officers arrived," said Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputy Faye Bugarin, "they discovered that a female had been shot inside the location. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene."

The victim's identity has not been released.

Investigators were still at the sprawling, walled residence, known as Pyrenees Castle, Monday afternoon. Spector's black Mercedes sedan, its driver's side door standing open, was encircled by yellow crime scene tape.

Authorities at the scene said up to 25 officers are investigating the case and have obtained a warrant to search the house.

Bail for the 62-year-old Spector was set at $1 million on the first-degree murder charge. Prominent defense attorney Robert Shapiro told CNN he is representing Spector. Shapiro was part of football star O.J. Simpson's winning legal team in his 1995 murder trial.

No court appearance was immediately scheduled.

Attorney Marvin Mitchelson, a close friend of Spector's, told The Associated Press the producer lived alone and didn't have a girlfriend.

Mitchelson said he and Spector had been trying to put together a movie about Spector's life. "His mental state has been great -- very rational, very together," the attorney said.

'Wall of Sound' creator
Georgino said Spector's home once was a 28-room hotel.

Another neighbor, Steve Morales, described Spector as "very quiet, other than maybe having a few parties."

Spector's trademark was the layering of instrumental tracks and percussion dubbed the "Wall of Sound," which underpinned a string of hits on his Phillies label in the early 1960s.

The roaring arrangements were the heart of what he called "little symphonies for the kids" -- among them No. 1 hits like the Ronettes' "Be My Baby" and the Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost That Loving Feeling."

Spector co-produced The Beatles' final album, "Let It Be," and worked with ex-Beatles George Harrison and John Lennon on solo projects -- including Lennon's song "Imagine" -- after the group broke up. His recording of Harrison's 1971 benefit concert for war relief in Bangladesh won the 1972 Grammy award for Album of the Year.

The last major album he produced was The Ramones' "End of the Century," in 1980.

Spector married Ronettes singer Veronica Bennett in 1968, but the couple divorced in 1974.

In October, New York's state Supreme Court threw out a $3 million award against Spector in a lawsuit filed by his ex-wife and the other two members of the Ronettes, seeking royalties for the sale of their recordings for use in movies and commercials.

-- CNN Correspondent Paul Vercammen and Producer Michelle Harrosh contributed to this report.
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2003, 04:32 PM   #14
IWantToTellYou
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to IWantToTellYou

Wow...There are no words. I am speechless. I can't believe that he has been charged with 1st degree murder!

Weird...
IWantToTellYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2003, 04:35 PM   #15
Danoota64
Wild Honey Pie

A year or so ago i read two books on Phil Spector, one being Ronnie's book, "Be My Baby," and after that, i believe this guy is capable of anything. I would not be surprised if he in fact shot this poor woman, but he has a lot of money and now a big lawyer...
Anyway, there are lots of Beatle references in Ronnie's book and i recommend reading it. It was so good, i read it twice to absorb everything. John used to call her Ronnie Ronette and he sure had a thing for her. And George also had a fling with Ronnie's sister.
Thanks for the updates, Susan.

[img]graemlins/peace.gif[/img]
Danoota64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2003, 04:40 PM   #16
Maggie Mae
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted By Nerk Sister:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Originally Posted By Maggie Mae:
What have you all heard? Was he formally charged or are they just questioning him?
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I read that he was charged. I saw a little of this on FOX news earlier tonight. They said that a 911 call came in from Spector's mansion. When the police got there, a young woman in her twenties was found dead in the foyer. They said Spector was the only suspect. Bond was set at one million dollars and they expected him to post it later tonight. Robert Shapiro (one of the lawyers for OJ Simpson) has been hired as Spector's lawyer.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Thanks for updating, Nerk Sister.

It's disgusting... there should be no bail... the guy's filthy rich (and just plain filthy [there are better words for that but I don't want to get banned!] if he did in fact murder that woman) and he could post any bail he wants. It's a total shock though, to hear that he's being charged for murder.

Wanna know something creepy, though? The other night, I was half-asleep when the word "spectre" started going through my head (I had just watched a show about ghosts on TV) and then I started thinking about Phil Spector and, for some really odd reason, I couldn't sleep after that. When I started thinking about him, I just got totally freaked out and ended up sleeping upstairs instead of in the basement. This was Saturday night, by the way. I just got creeped out thinking about him, but I've never really given the man much thought (except about how he messed with The Long and Winding Road without Paul's consent... the nerve...)

It's funny that I should remember that right now...
Maggie Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2003, 04:50 PM   #17
Savoy Truffle
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally posted by beatlewho01-02:
I should feel shocked but somehow I also feel a little [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] because he ruined Let It Be right. Plus the de Spectorized version of LIB is coming out so that will also be another blow to him.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] * Somehow, I don't think he will be too concerned about this!

I knew he was a little wierd too, but this is still a shock! You don't think of people associated with the Beatles to be murderers or even be accused of murder!

Although, from what I've been reading about him...! It makes you wonder.

[size="1"][ Feb 03, 2003, 06:46 PM: Message Edited By: Savoy Truffle ][/size]
Savoy Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2003, 05:39 PM   #18
MissusLennon
Dr. Robert

Oh My God! I can't believe it!
I mean, I didnt really know much about the guy other than the fact that he f***ed up Let It Be
(not in my mind-lib rocks-but I mean cause he did all that stuff against the fabmost foursome's will) I can't believe (like SavoyTruffle said) that anyone even partially relatable to the beatles could be involved in taking someone's life. And Maggie: I only have one word for that- WOAH!!!!
MissusLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2003, 07:20 PM   #19
JDanRyan
Wild Honey Pie

I'm reading here that a lot of folks are shocked, and I wish I could be too. Problem is, when I heard the news, my first reaction was an unsurprised, "OK, so we opted against warning shots this time, Phil?"

Yes, he's sick. The initial wire releases talked about how he had leveled a gun at Dee Dee Ramone, but you could fill a wing at the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame made up of musicians Phil's leveled the barrel at. And Danoota's recommendation to read Be My Baby is seconded here, as well as anything else about Spector you can find, because the case against this man being walking on the street was pretty damning BEFORE this happened!

A few things I noticed (which may mean nothing):

* The sheriffs department charged him on the scene with murder. For that to happen, there must have been considerable certainty based on the state of the crime scene as found by the deputies. (Compare this rapid chain of events with the Simpson and Blake cases, where charges were not filed until a full gathering of evidence was made.) For the deputies to have done that, they probably found the gun in Phil's hands or something equally incriminating.

* The longer we don't know who the victim was, the more options that can be assigned as to her role in the drama; sadly, not a lot of them dissuade lurid interpretations. Phil's only chance of looking good out of this is if the victim turns out to have taken the Mable Normand celebrity acting course in her efforts to become famous. (Reference to the William Desmond Taylor case, at http://www.crimelibrary.com/notoriou...taylor/1.html; the more things change...)

* If Bob Shapiro stays with the case (and he might not; if things were open-and-shut enough for the sherriffs to take him away as noted above, he might announce he's not taking on this client in the next 36 hours), then we can expect a circus. The big indicator of what's to come is going to be in the next 24 hours; if Spector's out on bail by this time tomorrow, get ready for another OJ case...

OK, I better stop before Dominick Dunne's noticed someone swiped his shtick...
JDanRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2003, 07:50 PM   #20
HariScruff_00
Wild Honey Pie

honestly, my first reaction was shock... but not that he had been arrested. I was shocked the guy is still alive! in fact my mother and i were asking eachother about that just a couple days ago. when you think about it it is really amazing that he is still alive. I thought it was funny when i read that he had been arrested, but i stopped laughing when i saw the word "homicide". Innocent until proven guilty, and i hope he is innocent.. but the guy does have an odd track record.
HariScruff_00 is offline   Reply With Quote