BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Apr 13, 2009, 03:26 PM   #1
Esmirelda
Sun King

Default Phil Spector Found Guilty of Murder

Phil Spector Found Guilty of Murder

By SOLOMON MOORE and RANDAL C. ARCHIBOLD
Published: April 13, 2009

LOS ANGELES —Phil Spector, the rock music impresario behind such hits such as “Da Doo Ron Ron,” “You’ve Lost that Lovin’ Feeling” and “Be My Baby,” was convicted of shooting and killing a struggling actress at his mansion after a night of drinking.

Music producer Phil Spector surrounded by his defense team during closing arguments at the retrial murder case in Los Angeles in March.

Mr. Spector, 69, faces at least 18 years in prison. The jury, in a five-month trial, reached its unanimous decision after deliberating whether one of the recording industry’s best-known producers shot the woman in a fit of anger or, as his lawyers argued, merely witnessed the woman’s suicide.

In addition to second-degree homicide, the jury also found Mr. Spector guilty of illegally discharging a firearm.

This was the second murder trial in the case. A previous trial was ended September 2007, when a jury deadlocked 10 to 2 in favor of conviction in September 2007. Mr. Spector has remained out on bail for most of the last six years, but was immediately taken into custody after the verdict on Monday.

Mr. Spector came into court looking frail and sullen. He wore a long blue overcoat, a bright red tie, and a shoulder-length mullet hair-style. Gone were his psychedelic glasses and the swagger that carried him through more than five decades at the top of the Los Angeles pop music scene.

He whispered only a few words to his lawyers, whose number shrank to two from more than four by the time the jury was polled. As a court clerk read the verdict, Mr. Spector leaned forward intently. He face betrayed little emotion throughout the proceeding.

The family of the actress, Lana Clarkson, who was 40 at the time of her death, reacted with relief and embraces. They declined to speak to the throng of reporters gathered at the Los Angeles Superior Court in downtown Los Angeles.

Mr. Spector, who was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1989, is famous for his “Wall of Sound” lush orchestrations heard on an array of hits in the 1960s and 1970s with groups like the Ronettes. He has worked with the Beatles, Tina Turner, the Rolling Stones and others but had receded from the public stage in recent years and was known as much for eccentric behavior — he has been often photographed wearing a large fright wig — as his talent.

The verdict came more than six years after Ms. Clarkson was found shot to death in the foyer of Mr. Spector’s mansion in suburban Alhambra on Feb. 3, 2003.

The decision was a victory for Los Angeles prosecutors who have endured high-profile defeats in celebrity murder trials, including the acquittals of O.J. Simpson and the actor Robert Blake.

Mr. Spector, who had been free on $1 million bail, was accused of shooting to death Ms. Clarkson, an aspiring actress best-known for a starring role in the 1985 cult hit “Barbarian Queen” and a bit part in “Fast Times at Ridgemont High” in 1982.

She was working as a hostess at the House of Blues on the Sunset Strip when Mr. Spector visited the nightclub, struck up a conversation and eventually took her out drinking.

They ended up at his Alhambra mansion, known as “the Castle,” but when she spurned his advances and tried to leave he put a gun in her mouth and fired, prosecutors said.

They argued that this fit a long pattern of Mr. Spector’s drinking and threatening women with guns over several years, and they presented testimony from several of them.

Mr. Spector, they said, essentially confessed when he emerged from the home, gun in hand, and told his limousine driver, “I think I killed somebody.” Mr. Spector retreated into the house and in the prosecution’s view, took steps to cover up the crime.

The defense disputed the case on several fronts, including the account of the limousine driver, Adriano DeSouza.

They noted that he was a Brazilian immigrant not fully proficient in English and said he may have misquoted Mr. Spector, who they suggested may actually have been telling him to “call somebody.” A gurgling fountain nearby and the driver’s fatigue and hunger from working all night may have added to confusion, they told jurors.

The defense suggested that Ms. Clarkson was handling the gun when it discharged. They said she was despondent over her lackluster career and finances and decided to take her own life.

They supported their case with scientific evidence they believed questioned the prosecution’s sequence of events.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 03:42 PM   #2
jesgear
Sun King

Hmm

jesgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 03:52 PM   #3
62hofner

I don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand, it's sad to see such a great icon of Rock and Roll music go down like this. On the other, if he did what they say he did, then he deserves to be punished like anyone else would.

Hopefully, Phil won't be getting serenaded with "Be My Baby" by some inmate soon!
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 04:02 PM   #4
hibgal
Sun King

Well, it is a well known fact that Phil came to one of the recording sessions with John Lennon, when John was in California, dressed in a Nazi uniform, armed and discharging the gun. At that time nobody was injured. It's been covered by too many people to just be a legend. David Cassidy, who knew John, briefly covers this incident in his autobiography and others present at the time has confirmed it as well. That was back in the 70's so it doesn't surprise me if he finally ran out of luck.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 04:40 PM   #5
twovirgins
Sun King

The Ramones claimed he pointed a gun at them while Producing their Lp "End of the century"
The guy is a monster and its good he will be where he belongs in a 6 foot cell instead of a mansion ..I hope he rots

Last edited by twovirgins : Apr 13, 2009 at 04:41 PM.
twovirgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 06:38 PM   #6
jtal909
Sun King

I think he was probably messing with the gun like he's done many times before and it went off...
Old Apr 13, 2009, 09:27 PM   #7
Hari's Chick

sad thing all around...

Last edited by Hari's Chick : Apr 13, 2009 at 09:28 PM.
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 06:17 AM   #8
Magill
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62hofner View Post
Hopefully, Phil won't be getting serenaded with "Be My Baby" by some inmate soon!
If he does, he needs to Da Doo Run, Run, Run!
Old Apr 14, 2009, 06:23 AM   #9
Magill
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtal909 View Post
I think he was probably messing with the gun like he's done many times before and it went off...
Dude, she was shot in the mouth. More like a bullseye than an accident if you ask me. I hope this ends all hope for future celebrities thinking they can get away with murder. I still can't get over OJ & Robert Blake being vindicated. But I'm glad karma finally caught up with OJ. Or, it was really his own stupidity that landed him in jail this time around.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 08:07 AM   #10
Georgie Girl
Sun King

It's about time this thing ended. And rightly, too, IMO.
Waving guns around at people, the idiot.

The west is
the best.
Georgie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 09:00 AM   #11
mari
Sun King

It's just sad, the whole thing is just sad.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 03:20 PM   #12
oldbeatlechick
Sun King

It is sad but I think he is guilty, having been on the jury of a murder trial myself I know it is not easy to come to this verdict unless you are 100% sure!

“We didn't all get into music for a job! We got into music to avoid a job, in truth - and get lots of girls.”
Paul McCartney

Last edited by oldbeatlechick : Apr 14, 2009 at 03:21 PM.
oldbeatlechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 04:41 PM   #13
John Cee
Day Tripper

Ironic that the verdict was reached just the day before George was honoured posthumously with his star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame

I've got nothing to say, but it's okay!
GOOD MORNING!
GOOD MORNING!!
GOOD MORNING!!!
John Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 06:30 PM   #14
jtal909
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magill View Post
Dude, she was shot in the mouth. More like a bullseye than an accident if you ask me. I hope this ends all hope for future celebrities thinking they can get away with murder. I still can't get over OJ & Robert Blake being vindicated. But I'm glad karma finally caught up with OJ. Or, it was really his own stupidity that landed him in jail this time around.
Yeah, that's what I mean.
He put the gun in her mouth messin' with her, and being drunk/high it went off and killed her.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 06:50 PM   #15
hibgal
Sun King

It's ironic that the previous jury, who were not allowed to consider the lesser charge of involuntary manslaughter as an option, couldn't reach a verdict of second degree murder, while this jury, who did consider it, reached the verdict of murder that the prosecution sought.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2009, 08:09 PM   #16
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Damn shame, but frankly, it does not surprise me. Given his abusive and controlling relationship with Ronnie, it comes as no surprise that he killed this woman.

Oh, and then there was the time he acted a fool and fired a shot in John Lennon's presence. Spector's act was eerily prescient.....Frankly, I think Spector is about 6 cans short of a 6-pack and many hounds short of a pack.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 02:51 AM   #17
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

Phil is innocent..

all the acts of violence and threats were 30 years in the past... It had been A LONG time since he acted like that. The last few years before this incident he had really got himself together and was even dating Nancy Sinatra..

It appalls me that the American Justice system can acquit clearly guilty b grade celebrities like OJ, Robert Blake etc etc but yet falsely convict inarguably the greatest music producer of all time..why? because he is certainly a little odd. he didnt sit there and try and put on an act, like hes normal or try and fake it and convince anyone hes completly sane. Hes Phil. And he 's different. But almost everyone that knows him swears he couldnt and woulndt have committed such an act.. wrong place, wrong time..

As someone said how can the 2nd jury find him guilty of something the first jury could not?

FREE PHIL SPECTOR!!

"take me to the river, drop me in the water..."
- David Byrne

Last edited by CWW : Apr 15, 2009 at 02:52 AM.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 11:09 AM   #18
PepperlandFrog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtal909 View Post
Yeah, that's what I mean.
He put the gun in her mouth messin' with her, and being drunk/high it went off and killed her.
Only a certifiable psychopath would "mess around" by sticking a loaded gun into another human beings mouth. and unless we forget, he has has a history of playing with guns and threatening people.

Last edited by PepperlandFrog : Apr 15, 2009 at 12:37 PM.
PepperlandFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2009, 06:40 PM   #19
heyjude
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
all the acts of violence and threats were 30 years in the past... It had been A LONG time since he acted like that.
So you're saying if someone commits terrible crimes 30 years ago, but acts normal infront of a judge deciding his/her fate, that means they're completely recovered? No. They still need to pay for what they did.
We reckoned we could make it because there were four of us. None of us would've made it alone, because Paul wasn't quite strong enough, I didn't have enough girl-appeal, George was too quiet, and Ringo was the drummer. But we thought that everyone would be able to dig at least one of us, and that's how it turned out.
- John Lennon
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 08:54 AM   #20
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I'm not sure what to think about this either. It's more of a surprise to me than anything else. I've heard and read so many wacky stories about him that I'm not sure what to think of him. Well that's not totally true. I cant say I like him at all. And thats based on what I've read about his personality, not his wild behavior and apparent zany antics .

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan

Last edited by lennonluvr9 : Apr 20, 2009 at 08:54 AM.
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote