BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Dec 04, 2005, 02:31 PM   #1
vincenthanna
Apple Scruff

Default Lennon - Original or Remixed?

Hi everyone,

I have, over the past few months, completed my John Lennon cd collection with the new Remixed/Remastered versions, I have'nt got the original versions before Yoko tampered with them.

I have made this thread up to see what us fans think of the new/old versions and what albums they like the original way.

I was thinking of buying a few of the originals, but what ones would you suggest?

cheers

Mark.
''...I learned very early in life that without a song the day would never end, without a song the road would never bend, without a song a man aint got a friend, without a song, so i'll keep singing a song...'' - Elvis Presley (1971) [Lifetime Achievement Award Speech]

''Before Elvis There Was Nothing'' - John Lennon

''I Doubt Very Much If The Beatles Would Have Even Happened If It Hadn't Been For Elvis'' - Paul McCartney
vincenthanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2005, 03:39 PM   #2
Maccalennon
Banned

I prefer to have the albums remixed/remastered. These recordings are so old now that they need to take advantage of newer technology.Anything that improves the sound is ok by me.

What I dont like it tracks added onto original track listings. The biggest crime being Power To The People following My Mummys Dead on POB. That is a serious album which is supposed to end with My Mummys Dead. Thats the whole point. To add on the lightweight pop of PTTP at the end was a huge mistake and devalues the album.
Maccalennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2005, 05:44 PM   #3
Fluxus
Wild Honey Pie

Well, enjoy the remixed CDs but get them on vinyl so you can experience them as originally imagined by the fabs (with sides and crackles). That's the REAL deal.
Fluxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2005, 02:41 PM   #4
Maccalennon
Banned

I've had them on vinyl since the 70's. We've done vinyl and many may get all nostalgic about scratches and pops but lets be really honest it doesnt exactly enhance the music.

We know what these recordings soundlike in the day now we want to hear them with the cleanest sound. I want to hear that acoustic guitar being strummed not buried deep in the mix.
Maccalennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2005, 12:49 PM   #5
Legs
Sun King

Still if you want to have the original mixes I think it's better to find the vinyl versions of the albums.

I have "POB" "Imagine" and "Walls and Bridges"on both the original cd release and the remastered/ remixed releases, and the re-isues simply sound better to my ears. But since they are remixed as well you still need to find the original albums.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2005, 01:19 PM   #6
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

I already own the original WAB and will buy the new one for the bonus tracks, but I'll keep the old one. As for STINYC, I'll be asking for the original version for Christmas; maybe I'll pick up the new one eventually.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2005, 01:25 PM   #7
joelcrowservo
Dr. Robert

I like the remixed sound just fine, but as far as "POB" goes, I still prefer the MFSL LP version. On "Mother", it sounds like Ringo is playing right in front of you!
And the sound on "Working Class Hero", the new CD, is superb!
Old Dec 07, 2005, 07:48 AM   #8
Ana_Lennon
Old Brown Shoe

Send a message via MSN to Ana_Lennon

It depends for me. Listenning to John Lennon in vinnyl has a special emotive feeling. I prefer listenning to the old versions because of that.

I'm not completely against this new material Yoko is lunching, but it's not what the music was meant to be, and I don't like that.
Old Dec 07, 2005, 09:48 AM   #9
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana_Lennon

I'm not completely against this new material Yoko is lunching, but it's not what the music was meant to be, and I don't like that.
Well it's not like the albums are completly changed, with new guitar parts and new vocals or such. The instruments has been mixed diferently, bringing some more up front so you can hear everything better. It's still the same songs, the same music as it was meant to be, just better sounding.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote