BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:46 PM   #81
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
I just want to post a link to this thread, which also has encounters.

Smart one Maia! We can never have too many encounter threads.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 06:14 PM   #82
Maia 66
Sun King

From a man named Christopher Moore:

Quote:
John and Yoko were the quintessential West Siders, exuding privacy and good neighborliness. I have the wonderful memory of sitting next to him one afternoon at a bar on 79th Street. John had come into the bar at the invitation of someone who had seen him passing by on the street and told him he was on television, and he should come in and watch himself. When he came in he was no longer on the screen, he had been replaced by Anita Bryant who was ranting against gays, liberals, and other things that she didn't think were right in America. His take on his replacement was priceless. John commenced to riff on Anita, religion, and politics for about an hour. He also reached over to me and politely asked if he could take a look at my book of Shakespeare’s sonnets, and he read a passage aloud. I, along with several other of John’s “friends” were at the bar a few months later on December 8, when the ABC Monday Night Football game was interrupted for Howard Cosell to announce that John had been shot and killed at the Dakota. We all miss him dearly.
Can you imagine the perfection of hanging out with John at a New York bar one evening?? He must have been hilarious!

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 06:19 PM   #83
Maia 66
Sun King

And a street encounter, from a woman named Marianne:

Quote:
John Lennon has influenced my life in so many ways, as a musician, poet, artist, spiritually, and as a man living in my generation. I had the utmost honor of meeting him in person on 57th and Madison Avenue one Saturday morning on my way to a class. I was 21 years old. He was walking towards me, holding hands with Yoko and window shopping. About half a block away I recognized them, and without even knowing it, let out a scream, yelling "Oh my God, it's John". As he saw me, we were almost face to face, I remember he was tall and as beautiful as all the pictures I had of him. He had this wonderful smile on his face and giggled a little at my enthusiasm. He was friendly, sweet, talked to me, but I don't remember a word he said. He wrote an autograph for me, and I hugged and kissed him, and told him how much I loved him. Yoko did not stay around for our meeting. She had walked away and was window shopping. After that, we both walked our separate ways, and it was one of the most exiting, fantastic moments of my life. I will never forget the feeling or him. I am so thankful I was one of the lucky people who got to meet him so personally in his short life here on earth.

All I want is the truth

Old Mar 16, 2012, 06:19 PM   #84
Apple Scruff
Sun King

John was so amazing. The more I read, the more in awe I become.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 06:21 PM   #85
Apple Scruff
Sun King

That fan encounter from the young woman was incredible. Firstly, she referred to John as "beautiful," which really belongs in the Beautiful Thread as candid-encounter-proof.

Secondly, she reacted as any star-struck fan would, as I probably would. Speechless but just in awe.

And then Yoko walking away was cool It's like she respectfully gave John his time alone with the fan. Honestly, I dig that.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Mar 16, 2012 at 07:19 PM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:16 PM   #86
wildewoman
Taxman

I am absolutely loving these encounters...
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:43 PM   #87
Maia 66
Sun King

Aren't they awesome? Really makes you realize how cool John was... he didn't seem to be overwhelmed by fame when he lived in NYC. He really seemed like he was enjoying himself and people treated him so respectfully.

Here's another one from a woman named Nancy Green Madia:

Quote:
I was a young actress/waitress working at Ruskay's Restaurant on Columbus Avenue and 74th St. It was a very special place, where there was only one choice for dinner, which changed daily. And coffee was 10 cents. For lunch there was leftover dinner or soup and salad. Many up and coming artists, musicians, dancers and actors frequented the tiny, elegant, eatery, and most came in everyday.... Yoko Ono came in most days for soup, and one very fine day, she brought John. Seeing him made my heart leap, and when he sang to me inquiring about his soup, I sang in return as I set down his bowl. What a darling wonderful man. It was the only time we sang together, and I will never forget how exciting and glorious New York was for us all back then.

All I want is the truth

Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:47 PM   #88
Apple Scruff
Sun King

OMG. They make me cry they're so amazing...
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:49 PM   #89
Maia 66
Sun King

A teacher named Sal Fradella:

Quote:
In 1976, I was a student teacher in Saddle River, N.J. One of my students loved The Beatles, especially John Lennon. His father detested Lennon and everything he stood for. One day, in 1977, the student's dad was walking down a street in Manhattan and, to his surprise, he saw John and Yoko walking towards him. Amazingly, the three of them were alone at this particular moment. The father instantly forgot his disdain for Lennon and told him that his son, Geof, was Lennon's biggest fan in the world. He then asked Lennon if he would sign an autograph for his son, which, of course, Lennon gladly did. He wrote: "To Jeff, Your friend, John Lennon". He even drew a picture next to his name. The father couldn't have been more pleased. He noticed, however, that his son's name was misspelled - Geof rather than Jeff. Lennon not only rewrote the autograph but redrew the picture. They spoke for a few minutes and, as a crowd started to gather, John and Yoko said goodbye and continued on their way. They couldn't have been more warm and friendly. Needless to say, this father became an instant John Lennon fan. And when Lennon was tragically murdered in 1980, father and son stood together in Central Park for the silent vigil - and both openly wept at the loss of a man who so beautifully and positively touched ther lives.

All I want is the truth

Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:58 PM   #90
Apple Scruff
Sun King

OMG. Can we turn this thread into a book please? I am besides myself with emotions.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Mar 16, 2012 at 07:58 PM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:45 AM   #91
wildewoman
Taxman

Where are you finding these, Maia? On the PBS website that asked viewers of the American Masters Lennon show to post their Lennon stories?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:58 AM   #92
Maia 66
Sun King

I think I love these stories so much because I can really relate to them. For most of my life, I lived in a part of Los Angeles where I would run into celebrities all the time-- at the supermarket, in restaurants, in theater lobbies, driving next to me on the 101, etc. Plus, I have a few "industry" friends, so they'd take me to parties and events from time to time. Most of the time, I would just ignore the celeb, but every now and again I would have an interaction... and I always have great fondness for those who were sweet, warm, and/or gracious. Which is why I adore John Cusack () and I'm not too keen on Dustin Hoffman (). (Buy me a drink sometime and I'll tell you the John Cusack story... suffice it to say he is a DOLL!)

Anyway, one experience that really reminds me of these John in NYC stories is the time I met Chris Rock. It happened around the time he had his show on HBO. I had just parked on a side street off the Sunset Strip, and as I was getting out of my car, there he was right in front of me, crossing in the middle of the street. "Chris Rock!" I exclaimed, excited and taken aback at the same time. When he looked at me, I was a bit flabbergasted, but I continued talking nervously. "I love your show. It's brilliant." He smiled and asked my name. Then he warmly shook my hand, looked me in the eyes, and said, "Thank you, Maia."

No one can talk smack to me about Chris Rock now. I had always been a big fan of his, but ever since that day I see him as a person and not just a brilliant comic... and he is a lovely, lovely person.

All I want is the truth

Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:06 AM   #93
Apple Scruff
Sun King

I have always loved Chris Rock. Now I see I was right.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:27 AM   #94
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildewoman View Post
Where are you finding these, Maia? On the PBS website that asked viewers of the American Masters Lennon show to post their Lennon stories?
Yup.

All I want is the truth

Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:35 AM   #95
Apple Scruff
Sun King

I love that you have done this, Maia. I bookmarked every link from that source in 2010...but now I have to scroll down tooooo much just to find them, so you did a BRILLIANT job sharing these. Thank you for your prowess.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:05 AM   #96
wildewoman
Taxman

AND your patience in seeking them out!

PS, I freaking ADORE John Cusack. And his sister Joan.

Last edited by wildewoman : Mar 17, 2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:10 AM   #97
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildewoman View Post
AND your patience in seeking them out!

PS, I freaking ADORE John Cusack. And his sister Joan.
Now Joan is just...I LOVE her. She's so hilarious.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:48 AM   #98
Maia 66
Sun King

They're both intelligent and very down-to-earth people... you can tell they were raised in a good and loving family.

All I want is the truth

Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:06 PM   #99
Maia 66
Sun King

Two funny observations about this article:
1) John growled?
2) His hair was long by "rock star standards" ??

All I want is the truth

Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:14 PM   #100
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Very interesting. And I love John growling. I'm sure you want to be gawked at by a ton of people when you're on some historical tour. Maia, you know you're amazing finding all this stuff?