BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:00 PM   #1
Hari's Chick

Smile Dark Horse Records Announces Ravi Shankar, George Harrison Box Set Release

This is AMAZING news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 19th!!

Los Angeles – Dark Horse Records announced today the October 19th release of a limited edition deluxe box set, entitled RAVI SHANKAR GEORGE HARRISON COLLABORATIONS. The release honors the sitar master’s 90th birthday.

Collaborations is a 3 CD and 1 DVD uniquely numbered limited edition box set. All compositions were composed by Ravi Shankar and produced by George Harrison over a period of 20 years.

The DVD is a rare concert performance of the Ravi Shankar’s Music Festival From India recorded at London’s Royal Albert Hall in 1974. The albums include the acclaimed Chants Of India (1997), The Ravi Shankar Music Festival From India (studio version 1976) and Shankar Family & Friends (1974). The 56-page book includes a foreword by Philip Glass, a history of George and Ravi “in their own words” and rare photographs from both family archives.

The personal and musical friendship between Ravi Shankar and George Harrison has been known and well documented for decades now. It was a friendship that was powerful enough to make an impact on the large, musical life of the late nineteen sixties and it reverberates, as clearly, even today.
– from the Foreword by Philip Glass
In 1973 George Harrison signed Ravi Shankar to his Dark Horse Records label. The first joint recording project between George Harrison and Ravi Shankar, Shankar Family & Friends brought together renown Indian classical musicians such as Ustad Alla Rakha, Lakshmi Shankar, and Shivkumar Sharma alongside Western jazz and rock musicians including George, Ringo Starr, Tom Scott, Klaus Voormann, Jim Keltner and Billy Preston. One half of the album comprises instrumentals and songs, while the second half is a thematic ballet to a yet un-staged performance.

Ravi Shankar’s Music Festival From India (live from the Royal Albert Hall) was the first artistic event organized and sponsored by George Harrison’s Material World Charitable Foundation; bringing together a 17-piece Indian classical ensemble as well as a solo sitar performance by Ravi Shankar accompanied on tabla by Alla Rakha.

In 1997 George Harrison and Ravi Shankar again collaborated on an album. This time Ravi created music for ancient Sanskrit chants with the challenge of maintaining the authenticity of the ancient verses. Released in 1997, Chants Of India are timeless, Vedic verses chanted for the well being of man and mankind.

Collaborations, is available on Dark Horse Records and distributed worldwide by Rhino Entertainment

http://www.georgeharrison.com/#/news...ox-set-release
Old Aug 12, 2010, 08:56 PM   #2
FPSHOT
Sun King

This really is great news, wow some book that will be.

Great find HC I look forward to that release.

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:30 AM   #3
Pepperland Kamer
Dr. Robert

thanks for sharing :D October got a whole lot more expensive!

But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only.

Nothing Is Beatle-Proof!!

Last edited by Pepperland Kamer : Aug 13, 2010 at 11:33 AM.
Pepperland Kamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Hari's Chick

You're so welcome!! It was fantastic hearing this... I only wish we could have the full version of Prabhujee from the VH1 special. There is something in that version, just George's voice, is so special.

I am hoping this will include some wonderful bonus tracks! :)
Old Aug 25, 2010, 01:27 AM   #5
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

I probably have most of these, but I might get for the full "Ravi Shankhar, family and friends" (though I think I have all of those too).

But, again... "limited edition deluxe box set" (i.e. $$$$ !) ... why can't they just do a normal release ?

All together now... "Living in the marterial world..."

Last edited by ABCKO : Aug 25, 2010 at 01:41 AM.
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:33 AM   #6
FPSHOT
Sun King

When you do a 'normal' release it would be a copy of.... which in cases of a CD, whereas now you get the DVD, to name an example.

Old Aug 27, 2010, 01:52 AM   #7
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
When you do a 'normal' release it would be a copy of.... which in cases of a CD, whereas now you get the DVD, to name an example.
... not when it's three out of print albums, two of which having been so for eons... and thus, now, the only way to get them, is to dish out for a 65.00$ set wether one wants that DVD or not. Further, many of us already have "Chants of India" and so if one buys that set for the two other CD's and the DVD (or any combination of those), you're also playing for a CD that you already have.

Also, "Limited edition" = if you want it, buy it now, at orginal release price, before they run out of copies...

Why couln't they just re-release the albums individually, and the DVD, and the box-set and people could just get the items they want ?

"All you need is cash"
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 07:37 AM   #8
Sitar Man
Little Child

I'm very excited about the release of this set. I've had the video of it for years and am glad that it has been remastered along with the CDs!
Sitar Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 05:48 PM   #9
Hari's Chick

There is a new video of George and Ravi ... it's so so sweet...

http://www.georgeharrison.com/#/collaborations

Here is some news, too~

Free Video Download & 'Collaborations' Box Set Pre-Order!

Dark Horse Records Announces COLLABORATIONS, a Ravi Shankar and George Harrison Box Set to be released October 19th.

Collaborations is a 3 CD & 1 DVD uniquely numbered limited edition box set. All music was composed by Ravi Shankar and produced by George Harrison over a period ...of 20 years.

Order your box set through GeorgeHarrison.com to receive a free Dark Horse Gift Set, including a Dark Horse gift bag, embroidered patch and sticker (while supplies last).

Subscribe to get the latest news and exclusive offers from GeorgeHarrison.com, plus download a free live video of "Tarana" from the Collaborations box set here:
http://www.georgeharrison.com/collaborations
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:51 PM   #10
FPSHOT
Sun King

This "Tarana" is magical.

What an amazing musicians and singers.

The "up tempo" they create is still very relaxing to me and the way they play their instruments will impress people and seems like a 'demonstration of technique and also the vocals are so impressive.

What a relaxing song.

Old Sep 30, 2010, 04:34 AM   #11
FPSHOT
Sun King

Here is a beautiful conversation of George and Ravi.

I hope this will be in the package as well.

They talk about "we are spirits in bodies" and how Ravi came "to the West" which he refers to as "it was my duty to bring it to the West" and they have lots of fun where George is saying like "Sometimes I feel like his Dad as well" and they laugh so amazing and George tells how he could halp Ravi in this non- classical music world and being a 'guardian' for him.

They end sensational about having old bodies but..... just watch it. It's awesome.

A small article here

http://1888media.blogspot.com/2010/0...-harrison.html

has a part of the foreword of the 56 page Book

The personal and musical friendship between Ravi Shankar and George Harrison has been known and well documented for decades now. It was a friendship that was powerful enough to make an impact on the large, musical life of the late nineteen sixties and it reverberates, as clearly, even today. – from the Foreword by Philip Glass

Last edited by FPSHOT : Sep 30, 2010 at 04:44 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 10:35 PM   #12
FPSHOT
Sun King

An overview

http://www.examiner.com/beatles-in-n...shankar-review

"The friendship with George (Harrison) started in 1966 and that's when I met him along with the other three, but George was something very special from the beginning. Something clicked between us and he was so interested in wanting to know about Indian music." -- Ravi Shankar

The unique and enduring relationship between George Harrison and Ravi Shankar gets full honors in "Collaborations," a four disc set (3 CDs, 1 DVD) that hits the streets Monday in the UK and Tuesday in the U.S. and Canada.
The set, released on Harrison's Dark Horse Records label, is packed in a green box with a picture of Harrison and Shankar on the outside. Inside are the three CDs: "Shankar Family and Friends" from 1974, "Music Festival From India" from 1976 and "Chants of India" from 1997, plus a DVD of the "Music Festival From India" performance. The discs are packed in replica vinyl sleeves.

(See the slideshow for the images.)

http://www.examiner.com/beatles-in-n...ations-picture

"Music Festival from India" and "Shankar Family and Friends" have never been on CD and have been unavailable for over 30 years. "Chants of India" has also been out of print.

The DVD, which has not been released before, compiles the available complete film footage. The film is grainy and is augmented by pictures where available footage is missing. An admittedly nervous George Harrison is shown introducing the program. The concert has been mixed in 5.1 by Paul Hicks, who worked on the Beatles and John Lennon remasters. A separate section on the DVD also features the performance in audio.

The set also includes a hardbound book containing liner notes with the words of Harrison and Shankar, a foreward by Phillip Glass and some unreleased photos, including a tender moment where Shankar kisses George on the top of the head. The set is also numbered with a certificate of authenticity.

Harrison's involvement in the performances goes beyond producing each one. Besides the introduction on the DVD, he also performs on "Chants of India," and additionally contributes to "Shankar Family and Friends" under the pseudonym Hari Georgeson. (Ringo Starr is also on the album under the name Billy Shears.)

"Ravi Shankar is probably the person who has influenced my life the most. Later, I realized Indian music was like a stepping stone to a spiritual path. I always had a feeling for that and the music led me there." -- George Harrison.

Harrison's love of Indian music made him a true individual in the Beatles. "Collaborations" is a true demonstration of that love.

Old Nov 22, 2010, 07:59 PM   #13
FPSHOT
Sun King

Yahoo Music has featured Collaborations on its Maximum Performance blog, with a video of George and Ravi talking about how they met and their musical bond.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/liv...collaboration/

Last edited by FPSHOT : Nov 22, 2010 at 08:37 PM.